PDA

View Full Version : What happened over at Gene's place?

biscuit
11-05-2013, 02:17 PM
They are jumping ship like crazy

EngineerDawg
11-05-2013, 02:23 PM
nm

JeanPeesSittingDown
11-05-2013, 02:27 PM
I can't speak for everyone else but I was banned after the OK State game. Haven't really posted anywhere since. Started to get the itch again and moved over here.

TrapGame
11-05-2013, 02:38 PM
I've posted over on gene's for years. It was sunshine and unicorns but now it's gotten almost Jim Jones cult-like about Mullen. After David Murray posted that everyone needs to lay off Mullen two weeks ago a lot of free thinkers (the few left over there) went ape shit.

EngineerDawg
11-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Steve has gotten in on the act too.

scottycameron
11-05-2013, 02:46 PM
They are jumping ship like crazy

you could be confusing bears for sheep.

geotop
11-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Steve has gotten in on the act too.

whats wrong with Steve these days anyway ???

ShotgunDawg
11-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Just being honest, Genespage has numerous problems:

1. The posters aren't as informed about MSU athletics as the posters on Elitdawgs or 247. Therefore, if you desire real MSU discussion, good or bad, you can't find it on Genespage

2. The board is dead. Just not many threads and not much action.

3. Lack of updates. On 247 Paul posts all day, and post interesting articles, Wyatt, Sherrill, What we learned, etc..

4. David Murray constantly complains about his job. Complains about game times, complains about getting to games early. Murray reports like a frustrated newspaper writer, and that doesn't work on the internet. People want insight, opinions, rumors, etc.. People don't want just surface level articles that offer none of this. That's what Genespage gives you.

5. Rosebowl is probably the best employee, but gets sick, has computer problems, and is on the road more than any media member I have ever come across. The guy makes more excuses than Croom, about why he won't be around the board and why chat is cancelled.

I am sure there are more, but, IMO the "sheep" attitude isn't what is driving people away; it's the lack of content.

hailmari
11-05-2013, 02:58 PM
I've always read mixed reviews on Rosebowl. Some like him, some don't. I have no clue who he is, though.

TrapGame
11-05-2013, 02:59 PM

1. The posters aren't as informed about MSU athletics as the posters on Elitdawgs or 247. Therefore, if you desire real MSU discussion, good or bad, you can't find it on Genespage

3. Lack of updates. On 247 Paul posts all day, and post interesting articles, Wyatt, Sherrill, What we learned, etc..

4. David Murray constantly complains about his job. Complains about game times, complains about getting to games early. Murray reports like a frustrated newspaper writer, and that doesn't work on the internet. People want insight, opinions, rumors, etc.. People don't want just surface level articles that offer none of this. That's what Genespage gives you.

5. Rosebowl is probably the best employee, but gets sick, has computer problems, and is on the road more than any media member I have ever come across. The guy makes more excuses than Croom, about why he won't be around the board and why chat is cancelled.

I am sure there are more, but, IMO the "sheep" attitude isn't what is driving people away; it's the lack of content.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^BOOM!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

geotop
11-05-2013, 03:13 PM

100 %

ShotgunDawg
11-05-2013, 03:16 PM
I've always read mixed reviews on Rosebowl. Some like him, some don't. I have no clue who he is, though.

It's kinda is hit and miss. Steve has some good sources, and when he says something, "WILL" happen, it normally happens. But, at times, he doesn't have such good sources or isn't updated on the recruit's process.

Most likely, it just depends on which recruit is in question. However, Steve's greatest strength is as an evaluator. I trust his MS rankings over any other website's because the other websites have out of state guys evaluating, and, while Steve technically lives out of state, he gets around and fairly evaluates the MS more than any other.

Madisonmd
11-05-2013, 08:12 PM
That sums up my experience there very well!

Political Hack
11-05-2013, 08:39 PM
It's kinda is hit and miss. Steve has some good sources, and when he says something, "WILL" happen, it normally happens. But, at times, he doesn't have such good sources or isn't updated on the recruit's process.

Most likely, it just depends on which recruit is in question. However, Steve's greatest strength is as an evaluator. I trust his MS rankings over any other website's because the other websites have out of state guys evaluating, and, while Steve technically lives out of state, he gets around and fairly evaluates the MS more than any other.

Rosie is good with kids in his area, but he doesn't make all of the MSU camps and rarely makes it to north Mississippi to games. In his general area, he does a good job though looking at kids.

As far as talent evaluations go, I don't think any website guys are all that great. If they we're they'd be on a college staff somewhere or working for an NFL team. it's not like they don't have a detailed log of every prediction they've made on players. Coaches generally trust other coaches to tell them who is legit and who's not.... rather than a guy who has a background in journalism or some related field.

raymond21
11-05-2013, 08:45 PM
Steve lives in Louisiana and isn't in the loop as much as he lets on. Two weeks ago Elijah tweeted he was not going to be in Starkville in Jan and Steve reported this week that everything was still on schedule for Jan enrollment. He has since since corrected himself. If anyone heard Gene's interview with Chris Jones after his commitment last year would be embarrassed. Gene sounded like a kindergarden teacher, very unprofessional. David is clueless about X's and O's and still tries to act as if he does. The page is a total disaster at this point. Baseball coverage is the only thing on the page worth following

Vandownbytheriver
11-05-2013, 08:54 PM
As far as talent evaluations go, I don't think any website guys are all that great. If they we're they'd be on a college staff somewhere or working for an NFL team. it's not like they don't have a detailed log of every prediction they've made on players. Coaches generally trust other coaches to tell them who is legit and who's not.... rather than a guy who has a background in journalism or some related field.

Right here all day. It's a bunch of long sock wearing jackasses who couldn't play the game themselves so they "evaluate" kids who can. I loathe all "recruiting experts." My new favorite thing is the 247 crystal ball. That shit changes as often as a gigolo changes condoms.

archdog
11-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Right here all day. It's a bunch of long sock wearing jackasses who couldn't play the game themselves so they "evaluate" kids who can. I loathe all "recruiting experts." My new favorite thing is the 247 crystal ball. That shit changes as often as a gigolo changes condoms.

The board is dead because of the severe lack of content. Recruiting chat is pretty good, but its all speculation about 90%. The other 10% is list of visiters, updates on their visits, and commitments. Everything else you can pick up on twitter.

I don't really care what everyone says about Steve. I like the guy. Haven't met him in person, but I have participated in his chat for a couple years.

I believe gene's biggest problem is the age of their typical poster has to be in their sixties. They are old and easily confused by complex statements and discussions.

preachermatt83
11-05-2013, 10:45 PM
You will find that there are more people that are really "in the know" on ED than there are on GP. That hate that but it's true..

CadaverDawg
11-05-2013, 10:49 PM
I haven't been a member of Genespage for many many years, but last year I watched an interview he did with Kailo Moore right after he committed to us. I was hoping to get a feel for whether Kailo seemed genuine because everyone I had talked to said Kailo was just there to flip back to ole Miss. Well, I couldn't get a feel for what the kid thought, because Gene's goofy ass asked him if him or Chris Jones could eat more food at one time....who was fastest between him and Deon mix....what he liked to do in his spare time....etc. it was honestly the worst and most uninformative interview I have ever seen in my life. It was the cheesiest shit ever. At that moment I realized that I had not missed a single shred of information by not logging in to his site in several years. He is a joke.

Hwy78dawg
11-06-2013, 12:05 AM
I have followed GP since it came on line back in 96. Either they have lost a lot of insight to the program, or pages like ED have really gained. I just did not think I was getting my $ worth.

I really think Steve is a good guy and does a decent job, but him not being in Vegas is a problem and he calls in sick more than any female in my office!

Todd4State
11-06-2013, 12:46 AM
I've had the pleasure of meeting Rosebowl before. He thinks very highly of himself.

I don't think he's a bad person per se- but I think he tends to be rash to go along with the ego. And being rash is not a good thing when you are trying to predict where high school kids are going to college for a living. I think he jumps to assumptions on his own without info sometimes- and that causes him to get burned from time to time. I've also seen him get kind of sort of confrontational with posters in the past- especially ones that question his info.

Todd4State
11-06-2013, 12:49 AM
Steve lives in Louisiana and isn't in the loop as much as he lets on. Two weeks ago Elijah tweeted he was not going to be in Starkville in Jan and Steve reported this week that everything was still on schedule for Jan enrollment. He has since since corrected himself. If anyone heard Gene's interview with Chris Jones after his commitment last year would be embarrassed. Gene sounded like a kindergarden teacher, very unprofessional. David is clueless about X's and O's and still tries to act as if he does. The page is a total disaster at this point. Baseball coverage is the only thing on the page worth following

Gene was trained as an accountant- not an journalist. He's just a goofball. Believe it or not- Rosebowl would probably be better at doing interviews.

Gene has always been a big baseball fan. His coverage is typically a lot better in that sport than the other pay sites.

Ronny
11-06-2013, 03:27 AM
..I was a part of the voluminous genespage purging that lead to the creation of sixpackspeak.com.

Gene is one of those who think if you say anything negative about MSU sports or an MSU coach you should be taken to court & sued for libel.

He also has a very high opinion of his messageboard, which he thinks has a direct influence over A.D. decisions, players, coaches, players' families, etc.

I understand having to protect your product & the constant battle that must be waged in order to keep the nutjobs from taking over your board. But being an asshole is not the answer.

Gene always wanted his board to have a propaganda slant to it where blindly praising MSU was the recommended posting technique.

And if you didn't buy into that & dared wavier from the sheep flock, banning was in store.

Political Hack
11-06-2013, 08:42 AM
..I was a part of the voluminous genespage purging that lead to the creation of sixpackspeak.com.

Gene is one of those who think if you say anything negative about MSU sports or an MSU coach you should be taken to court & sued for libel.

He also has a very high opinion of his messageboard, which he thinks has a direct influence over A.D. decisions, players, coaches, players' families, etc.

I understand having to protect your product & the constant battle that must be waged in order to keep the nutjobs from taking over your board. But being an asshole is not the answer.

Gene always wanted his board to have a propaganda slant to it where blindly praising MSU was the recommended posting technique.

And if you didn't buy into that & dared wavier from the sheep flock, banning was in store.

lol. they hated me but wouldn't ban me. they sent me a PM to ask if I'd be willing to not re-new... which I gladly accepted. I haven't been over there in probably over a year. There's nothing that's ever said on that site that anyone who 'a paying attention doesn't either 1) already know, or 2) be free information in less than an hour.

FISHDAWG
11-06-2013, 09:54 AM
[QUOTE=raymond21;80658] Two weeks ago Elijah tweeted he was not going to be in Starkville in Jan and Steve reported this week that everything was still on schedule for Jan enrollment. He has since since corrected himself.

Have I missed something ??? ....... Elijah Staley won't be here in Jan.?? - last word I heard from Coachcamp was ES would be here ... man, I hope this board bickering hasn't changed any minds

EngineerDawg
11-06-2013, 10:25 AM
[QUOTE=raymond21;80658] Two weeks ago Elijah tweeted he was not going to be in Starkville in Jan and Steve reported this week that everything was still on schedule for Jan enrollment. He has since since corrected himself.

Have I missed something ??? ....... Elijah Staley won't be here in Jan.?? - last word I heard from Coachcamp was ES would be here ... man, I hope this board bickering hasn't changed any minds

I don't think it was possible to get all the course work done in time? I think that's what Rosebowl mentioned but I am not 100% sure.

Goat Holder
11-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Agreed. Rosebowl is a narcissistic tool. His drivel about his drug problems proved that. I mean seriously, nobody wants to hear that shit. Nobody cares enough. Well, I guess all the sheep do, similar to how the masses gobble up Miley Cyrus garbage. I honestly wish we could quarantine all those sociopathic ****tards in one place and let them suck each other's jakes all day.

Bo Darville
11-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Agreed. Rosebowl is a narcissistic tool. His drivel about his drug problems proved that. I mean seriously, nobody wants to hear that shit. Nobody cares enough. Well, I guess all the sheep do, similar to how the masses gobble up Miley Cyrus garbage. I honestly wish we could quarantine all those sociopathic ****tards in one place and let them suck each other's jakes all day.

Dang.