PDA

View Full Version : Robert Woodard

KOdawg1
08-03-2020, 12:58 PM
Says he's staying in the NBA draft and won't be returning next year. Bummer

maroonmania
08-03-2020, 01:02 PM
Basketball likely going to be rough on the men's side this year. Of course, its very unsettled on what kind of college season there will be. That may have even played into Woodard's decision given the uncertainty of college basketball.

Bothrops
08-03-2020, 01:09 PM
I got the feeling he didn't want to return at any cost. The draft delays with the decision delays told me he had made up his mind a while back.

ZedFedder
08-03-2020, 01:09 PM
I don't blame him for going. Most have him slotted to be picked. Still, our team is looking VERY iffy right now.

maroonmania
08-03-2020, 01:21 PM
I don't blame him for going. Most have him slotted to be picked. Still, our team is looking VERY iffy right now.

Obviously he would have helped our team tremendously by coming back. Still just seems odd that he goes after his sophomore year and I really can't remember even one game that he 'took over'. In the 2 years he played he always just seemed to be a good support player. He's a decent scorer, a decent rebounder, a pretty good defender, etc. Just nothing about his game where I think wow, he's a great _____. Wish him well but at the college level I feel we got our money's worth way more out of Perry than Woodard even though Perry seems to be slipping in the draft.

StarkVegasSteve
08-03-2020, 01:31 PM
Woodard is going to regret this decision. I don't see him as a first round pick and with the strong possibility there won't be a combine he's not going to have a chance to improve his stock. However, I wish him nothing but the best and I hope he succeeds.

Captain Falcon
08-03-2020, 01:36 PM
Good luck to Robert. We are not going to be a good basketball team this year.

Irondawg
08-03-2020, 01:41 PM
Loved his game and hate we didn't get to see the best of it.

Be interesting to see where he lands as many mock drafts don't have him in the 1st. He also had to weigh the fact that there might not be an NCAA basketball season this year. I did not envy his position as he had to make a decision with a ton of unknowns.

msu15
08-03-2020, 01:47 PM
We're ****ed

HoopsDawg
08-03-2020, 01:51 PM
We're ****ed

Pretty much. Devion, Iverson, and DJ are going to have to play a ton of minutes and we need them to be good. Jalen Johnson is going to have to play the 4. Ado and Davis can rotate at the 5. And Tolu Smith needs to be better than I expect.

Homedawg
08-03-2020, 02:00 PM
Woodard is going to regret this decision. I don't see him as a first round pick and with the strong possibility there won't be a combine he's not going to have a chance to improve his stock. However, I wish him nothing but the best and I hope he succeeds.

No doubt he might not get drafted in the first round. But it is far from certain we have a college basketball season as well. So I have no issue w his decision.

Political Hack
08-03-2020, 02:35 PM
We still have a basketball team?

msstate7
08-03-2020, 02:37 PM
Gonna need some scoring from whoever wins the PG spot

maroonmania
08-03-2020, 02:47 PM
Loved his game and hate we didn't get to see the best of it.

That is the bothersome part of it. Normally a guy that is a TRUE NBA player, he is usually a standout in college at least by the time he is a SO. Of course we've had so few NBA players at MSU though in the last 25 years that maybe I wouldn't know one when I saw them. But Q is actually playing in the NBA some now and he was already a stud at MSU as a SO.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-03-2020, 03:22 PM
Pretty much. Devion, Iverson, and DJ are going to have to play a ton of minutes and we need them to be good. Jalen Johnson is going to have to play the 4. Ado and Davis can rotate at the 5. And Tolu Smith needs to be better than I expect.

Speaking strictly on this topic. I think Tolu is going to be good.

jdelta02
08-03-2020, 03:46 PM
Best to Robert moving forward.

HoopsDawg
08-03-2020, 03:46 PM
Speaking strictly on this topic. I think Tolu is going to be good.

hope so. averaged less than 14 as a junior in high school. 20 against weak competition in Hawaii as a senior. 3.8 as a freshman at WKU. Then redshirted last year. Wish Howland had picked up a transfer guard so we could run and gun a little more.

Madisonmd
08-03-2020, 05:45 PM
Jalen Johnson will not play 4 at 6-3 1/2! Thats what he measured

Madisonmd
08-03-2020, 06:13 PM
Here is a stab at starting 5- PG Smith,Fr; 2G- Molinar SO, SF- Stewart,SO; PF- Tolu, SO; and C- Ado,SR. Off the bench at 4 and 5 will be Davis and Post, J. Johnson will bring scoring off bench at 3. Montgomery will be 2G off the bench. Garcia has been very impressive in summer workouts and may add unexpected depth.

Homedawg
08-03-2020, 06:54 PM
Post has to get here first right?

MCsMGs
08-03-2020, 07:39 PM
Post has to get here first right?

Post has been here...

Coach34
08-03-2020, 07:43 PM
Woodard is not NBA ready. He likely gets there eventually- but needed one more year in college, especially this year as Top Dawg. I think he hurt himself with this decision

Madisonmd
08-03-2020, 07:53 PM
Post is here, but quarantined at this time

Madisonmd
08-03-2020, 07:53 PM
Going to be a little thin in backcourt

msstate7
08-03-2020, 08:02 PM
Going to be a little thin in backcourt

Well with a spot open, could we get a transfer guard?

ZedFedder
08-03-2020, 08:23 PM
Well with a spot open, could we get a transfer guard?

With our penalties, we have to lose a scholarship either this year or the next. Might as well eat it this year, I doubt we could get anyone who could help much.

Madisonmd
08-04-2020, 01:05 PM
They have looked around. Not much out there that would help

maroonmania
08-04-2020, 02:39 PM
With our penalties, we have to lose a scholarship either this year or the next. Might as well eat it this year, I doubt we could get anyone who could help much.

Given we have to be at 12 schollys either this year or next, we should absolutely do it this year. The 20-21 season is going to be a mess of a cluster anyway. If you think the football schedule is getting messed up with limitations on fan attendance in an outdoor facility, just wait until basketball season gets here given its played in the dead of winter (virus season) and in indoor arenas. I think basketball season is at more risk of happening than football season. Plus, we aren't going to be a tournament team anyway (even NIT). Might as well take all our pain this year.

Saltydog
08-04-2020, 03:17 PM
Well, he Witherspoon and Perry could've returned and we'd still under performed. Now, we're just going to flat out suck.....

NCMSTFAN
08-04-2020, 06:47 PM
We need another guard, we don't have many ball handlers, but for some reason I like this team a little better than most of you.

Molinar and DJ will be good for us, Jalen Johnson is proven at the college level, Tolu has experience and so does our Bama transfer if he is eligible.. Smith is one of the most athletic PG's in his class and very skilled... and who knows what the other new guys bring. If there is a season I'm not writing it off just yet.