#4 Jessika Carter F/C 6-5 Jr
#5 Rickea Jackson F 6-2 So
#10 Sidney Cooks F/C 6-4 R-Jr
#11 Xaria Wiggins G 6-1 Jr
#20 Yemiyah Morris C 6-6 Sr
#21 Madison Hayes G 6-0 Fr
#22 Charlotte Kohl C 6-5 Fr
#23 Caterrion Thompson G 5-11 Grad-Transfer

(Note) JaMya Mingo-Young has picked up a new number...with Sidney Cooks going with Mingo-Young's old number.

KOdawg1
07-31-2020, 09:31 PM
We are DEEP at guard.

PG- Taylor/JMY
SG- Matharu/Hayes/AEH
SF- Jackson/Hayes/Wiggins
PF- Cooks/Carter
C- Morris/Kohl/Carter

That's a Sweet 16 team on talent and depth alone. How much further we go depends on Nikki's ability as a coach.

RocketDawg
07-31-2020, 09:49 PM
It's hard to believe that AEH is already a senior. Time flies.

Captain Falcon
07-31-2020, 09:56 PM
Curious to see what Thompson can do, she had a good year in a lesser conference last season and appears to be someone who can be a legitimate three point option. And for me Cooks is the x-factor for the season. She was a McDonald’s All-American, if Nikki unlocks her potential then this team has another gear that may have them as good as the 2017-2019 run that Vic had.

This was a Top 5 team at worst with Vic in charge. Time will tell what Nikki can do but she is going to have a LOADED team for at least the next two years. Still only three seniors on the roster and I don’t think any of them are starters. Jackson and Matharu are legit offensive weapons and they are surrounded by a pretty well stacked roster with a bunch of players who can give you 15-20 points on any given night.

We should be really good. Nikki has an incredibly high standard to live up to but she is inheriting a championship caliber roster.

captaindog
07-31-2020, 10:14 PM
I think the depth chart looks like this:
PG- M Taylor, J Mingo-Young
SG- A Matharu, A Espinoza-Hunter, C Thompson
SF- R Jackson, M Hayes, X Wiggins
PF- S Cooks
C- J Carter, Y Morris, C Kohl
Jackson, Wiggins, and Carter can also slide to the four
Espinoza-Hunter, Thompson, Hayes, Wiggins, and Mingo-Young can all play the SG/SF

Ifyouonlyknew
07-31-2020, 10:18 PM
We are DEEP at guard.

PG- Taylor/JMY
SG- Matharu/Hayes/AEH
PF- Cooks/Carter
C- Morris/Kohl/Carter

That's a Sweet 16 team on talent and depth alone. How much further we go depends on Nikki's ability as a coach.

There's no way Carter isn't starting.

KOdawg1
07-31-2020, 11:18 PM
That's not necessarily the depth chart. Just who we've got by position. Idk who starts. A new coach means a fresh slate.

Leeshouldveflanked
08-01-2020, 06:29 AM
Has Kohl made it to Starkville yet?

Ifyouonlyknew
08-01-2020, 09:33 AM
That's not necessarily the depth chart. Just who we've got by position. Idk who starts. A new coach means a fresh slate.

Gotcha. Need to add the grad transfer from Bowling Green then.

R2Dawg
08-01-2020, 09:37 AM

Carter will start, Jackson will start. After that who knows but we are really talented and deep. Coach stepped into a good yet tough situation. No excuse based on talent to not have a very good team; should contend again in SEC with USC, no question.

KOdawg1
08-01-2020, 09:43 AM
Gotcha. Need to add the grad transfer from Bowling Green then.
Forgot about her. There's going to be some really talented players that get little to no playing time.

schddog72
08-01-2020, 11:56 AM
2020-21 Miss. State Women's Basketball Roster
#0 JaMya Mingo-Young G 5-8 So
#1 Myah Taylor G 5-7 R-Jr
#2 Andra Espinoza-Hunter G 5-11 Sr
#3 Aliyah Matharu G 5-7 So
#4 Jessika Carter F/C 6-5 Jr
#5 Rickea Jackson F 6-2 So
#10 Sidney Cooks F/C 6-4 R-Jr
#11 Xaria Wiggins G 6-1 Jr
#20 Yemiyah Morris C 6-6 Sr
#21 Madison Hayes G 6-0 Fr
#22 Charlotte Kohl C 6-5 Fr
#23 Caterrion Thompson G 5-11 Grad-Transfer

(Note) JaMya Mingo-Young has picked up a new number...with Sidney Cooks going with Mingo-Young's old number.

I'm disappointed; there should be a #12 on every team.

captaindog
08-01-2020, 01:00 PM
Forgot about her. There's going to be some really talented players that get little to no playing time.

Supposedly she ideally needs 13 players to run her system and even the best players on her team only averaged mid twenties in minutes played.

jdelta02
08-01-2020, 08:23 PM
Is their a more explosive guard on the team than Aliyah Matharu? Aliyah Matharu- is very explosive offensively, very emotional and high energy, big game player. Also, noted as a fearless player in first season at Miss. State. Last season..team showed a tendency to feed off of her energy and scoring.

Workout/Practice Video

JaMya Mingo-Young looks slimmer in the workout video released.

Myah Taylor looks slim and strong. Also, she looks quick with the ball.

Basically, all of the players shown appear quick and physically conditioned.

captaindog
08-01-2020, 10:37 PM
Is their a more explosive guard on the team than Aliyah Matharu? Aliyah Matharu- is very explosive offensively, very emotional and high energy, big game player. Also, noted as a fearless player in first season at Miss. State. Last season..team showed a tendency to feed off of her enery and scoring.

Workout/Practice Video

JaMya Mingo-Young looks slimmer in the workout video released.

Myah Taylor looks slim and strong. Also, she looks quick with the ball.

Basically, all of the players shown appear quick and physically conditioned.

Yeah M Taylor looked like she has gained some ?good weight? and has been working out. She and J Mingo-Young have plenty of scoring options around them this season. I?m looking forward to it.

Captain Falcon
08-04-2020, 02:42 PM
The thing I'm most curious to see with Nikki is how she uses her guards in comparison to how Vic used his. Vic was awesome but I feel like our inability to stretch the floor with our guards cost us at times over the last couple of years. Don't get me wrong, I loved players like Holmes and Danberry, but we definitely had times where our offense would really need a basket and we only had one, maybe two players on the court who could make a jump shot. It was something I think Vic started to figure out toward the end of last year as he leaned on Matharu a bit more, but now with a new coach I'm curious to see how Nikki approaches things. And then with Myah, that's a player who has a jump shot as part of her skill set but she was very unwilling to use it under Vic, I'm curious if Nikki has a different mentality with a player like her.

At the end of the day, I don't think Nikki's philosophy will be super different from what we did under Vic, but I'm sure there will be at least a few differences.

The Federalist Engineer
08-04-2020, 09:28 PM
We are DEEP at guard.

PG- Taylor/JMY
SG- Matharu/Hayes/AEH
PF- Cooks/Carter
C- Morris/Kohl/Carter

With all that time and experience with Pat Summit and Dawn Staley, she has the best training available this side of Geno Auriemma.

On the intensity spectrum, is she a Dawn Staley on the bench?

captaindog
08-04-2020, 11:07 PM
With all that time and experience with Pat Summit and Dawn Staley, she has the best training available this side of Geno Auriemma.

On the intensity spectrum, is she a Dawn Staley on the bench?

From the games I?ve seen she can get pretty intense.

notsofarawaydawg
08-06-2020, 10:21 AM
I hope coach works as hard at coaching as she has as an activist the past few months.

KOdawg1
08-06-2020, 10:38 AM
I hope coach works as hard at coaching as she has as an activist the past few months.

I hope assholes like yourself will find another team to cheer for.

msbulldog
08-06-2020, 12:29 PM
I hope assholes like yourself will find another team to cheer for.

Good one! Rep given.

State82
08-06-2020, 02:56 PM

WTH

maroonmania
08-06-2020, 04:15 PM

Not aware she has done anything 'activist' related other than speak in Jackson about the impactfulness of the confederate flag. And she did that because John Cohen asked her to. Did I miss something else?

hp22
08-07-2020, 10:35 AM

One thing about 2020, the bar of stupid comments gets set lower and lower each day.