PDA

View Full Version : New baseball need based aid

Homedawg
07-30-2020, 06:57 PM
Just to update and inform everyone, the new rule passed means you can put need based aid on top of baseball scholarship. So it helps us zero we don't offer need based aid. It helps the rest of the league zero nobody offers it besides vandy. It doesn't really help them.

msstate7
07-30-2020, 07:31 PM
So you think other conferences about to close the gap?

confucius say
07-30-2020, 07:51 PM
Why don't we just offer need based aid? 10 males and 10 females a year. 3 of the 10 will just happen to play baseball

Todd4State
07-30-2020, 09:03 PM
Why don't we just offer need based aid? 10 males and 10 females a year. 3 of the 10 will just happen to play baseball

Good question.

And I'll say this- in this era where we are talking about inequality there is probably no group where the scholarships are more unequal to the other college sports than baseball.

The NCAA does stuff like this where "need based" is OK- just bite the bullet and add more scholarships like there needs to be. And IMO there needs to be 30 full scholarships for baseball.

And if the small schools who don't want to spend the money- which is the real issue on this and why the rules are what they are- then either split them out into another division like football has done at the D-I level or tell them to suck it up and if they can only give out five scholarships that's fine because they probably don't care enough about baseball for it to be viable anyway.

Homedawg
07-30-2020, 09:06 PM
So you think other conferences about to close the gap?

Acc gets a big help from it.

Homedawg
07-30-2020, 09:07 PM

You have to offer need based aid for the entire university. Just how it works.

Homedawg
07-30-2020, 09:08 PM
Good question.

And I'll say this- in this era where we are talking about inequality there is probably no group where the scholarships are more unequal to the other college sports than baseball.

The NCAA does stuff like this where "need based" is OK- just bite the bullet and add more scholarships like there needs to be. And IMO there needs to be 30 full scholarships for baseball.

And if the small schools who don't want to spend the money- which is the real issue on this and why the rules are what they are- then either split them out into another division like football has done at the D-I level or tell them to suck it up and if they can only give out five scholarships that's fine because they probably don't care enough about baseball for it to be viable anyway.

Nobody here is going to argue w more scholarships. But until the power 5 break off it's never happening. Ever.

confucius say
07-30-2020, 10:07 PM
You have to offer need based aid for the entire university. Just how it works.

So just do that. 20 a year, 10 male and 10 female. That's what vandy does right? They offer x amount of need based schollies a year and 5 of those every year just happen to be baseball players.

Homedawg
07-30-2020, 10:12 PM
So just do that. 20 a year, 10 male and 10 female. That's what vandy does right? They offer x amount of need based schollies a year and 5 of those every year just happen to be baseball players.

No vandy offers it to the entire student body. If your family makes less than x you are eligible for y.

confucius say
07-30-2020, 10:34 PM
No vandy offers it to the entire student body. If your family makes less than x you are eligible for y.

Got ya. I wonder how many students total at vandy are on need based aid

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
07-30-2020, 10:46 PM
Not sure how many but I'm guessing more than you think....A Vandy education ain't cheap.

HoopsDawg
07-30-2020, 11:00 PM
Just to update and inform everyone, the new rule passed means you can put need based aid on top of baseball scholarship. So it helps us zero we don't offer need based aid. It helps the rest of the league zero nobody offers it besides vandy. It doesn't really help them.

ridiculous. thanks for nothing NCAA.

Gutter Cobreh
07-30-2020, 11:06 PM
Not sure how many but I'm guessing more than you think....A Vandy education ain't cheap.

A bunch!

"Over 40% of the 2017-2018 entering freshman class is receiving need-based financial aid to make Vanderbilt affordable."

https://www.vanderbilt.edu/scholarships/faq.php

boonedawg
07-31-2020, 05:52 AM
Delete

Madisonmd
07-31-2020, 06:29 AM
Many of our football players receive additional aid than just their football scholarship, according to a former player that played HS ball with my son.

Homedawg
07-31-2020, 08:14 AM
Many of our football players receive additional aid than just their football scholarship, according to a former player that played HS ball with my son.

Correct. Pell grant money. That's available for all sports. Always has as long as I can remember.

The Federalist Engineer
08-01-2020, 01:18 PM

Vandy leverages the brand to charge full freight even for the fake majors of the Vandy baseball team. Media studies is basically kids talking about their favorite Netflix series with some hipster professor.

Vast majority of the Vandy players are undecided, media studies, and American studies.

Basically what Will Hunting would describe as majors they could have gotten for $1.50 in late fees at the public library