PDA

View Full Version : SEC 10 Game Conference Only Schedule

Cloak
07-30-2020, 03:31 PM
https://i.ibb.co/BKcW9Fw/Screenshot-20200730-162839-Chrome.jpg (https://ibb.co/sJbxZzt)

Cowbell
07-30-2020, 03:41 PM
https://i.ibb.co/BKcW9Fw/Screenshot-20200730-162839-Chrome.jpg (https://ibb.co/sJbxZzt)

Love it!

FISHDAWG
07-30-2020, 03:42 PM
I heard Vandy comes here and we go to UGA

DownwardDawg
07-30-2020, 03:45 PM
Gonna be interesting

deltadawg63
07-30-2020, 03:49 PM
When will individual team schedules be announced? Surely that has also been completed.

FISHDAWG
07-30-2020, 03:52 PM
I heard Vandy comes here and we go to UGA

Now I understand that tweet was deleted and the match-ups are still yet unknown

TUSK
07-30-2020, 03:57 PM
I've been hearing Bammer will pick up Florida and Vandy.... In addition to Georgia and UT from the East...

BeardoMSU
07-30-2020, 03:59 PM
Sixpack thread says we play Vandy at home and Georgia on the road. OM gets Ky and UT.

ScoobaDawg
07-30-2020, 04:11 PM
Now I understand that tweet was deleted and the match-ups are still yet unknown

It's still there...
https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1288930430515908612

ScoobaDawg
07-30-2020, 04:13 PM
Sixpack thread says we play Vandy at home and Georgia on the road. OM gets Ky and UT.

Appears to be correct team wise per ross..which he know says was a guess...

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1288943644326670338

Ross Dellenger
@RossDellenger
? 1h
Though uncertain, the two additional SEC games could be the next two in each team's rotation.

BAMA: UF, VU
AU: SC, MU
ARK: UG, SC
LSU: UK, UT
MSU: VU, UG
OM: UT, UK
TAMU: MU, UF

UF: BAMA, TAMU
UG: ARK, MSU
UK: LSU, OM
MU: TAMU, AU
SC: AU, ARK
UT: OM, LSU
VU: MSU, BAMA
Show this thread

ScoobaDawg
07-30-2020, 04:14 PM
One open date during the season...
https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1288939550929190912

ScoobaDawg
07-30-2020, 04:24 PM
Cohen's statement..
https://twitter.com/JohnCohenAD/status/1288942127720927233

Turfdawg67
07-30-2020, 04:26 PM
I've been hearing Bammer will pick up Florida and Vandy.... In addition to Georgia and UT from the East...

Poor Dan. He thought he was done with Saban for a while.

KOdawg1
07-30-2020, 04:31 PM
He also gets Jimbo who won't be an easy out this year. I'd be pissed if I was a UF fan

KOdawg1
07-30-2020, 04:38 PM
Delete

Todd4State
07-30-2020, 05:08 PM
Why the **** would we have to go to Athens again? That's bullshit. Thanks LT.

Cowbell
07-30-2020, 06:47 PM

I'm actually going to predict this as the upset we get...

Quaoarsking
07-30-2020, 06:51 PM

If the SEC just bumps up our 2021-22 opponents, it would be Georgia at home and Vanderbilt on the road.

But Dellenger Tweeted that it will actually be decided by a strength of schedule algorithm, so who knows.

msstate7
07-30-2020, 07:01 PM
What y'all think? I'll go 4-6

Dawgology
07-30-2020, 07:04 PM

Yup. Maybe 5-5

Coach34
07-30-2020, 07:05 PM
Looks like a 5-5 ceiling...6-4 could happen but we would have to have everything go perfect

Dawgology
07-30-2020, 07:08 PM
Looks like a 5-5 ceiling...6-4 could happen but we would have to have everything go perfect

Agreed unfortunately

msstate7
07-30-2020, 07:19 PM
If it happens, this will be unbelievable to watch on tv.

Todd4State
07-30-2020, 07:23 PM
If the SEC just bumps up our 2021-22 opponents, it would be Georgia at home and Vanderbilt on the road.

But Dellenger Tweeted that it will actually be decided by a strength of schedule algorithm, so who knows.

If LT comes up with the algorithm it will be bullshit and will screw us.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-30-2020, 07:23 PM
Wins: Mizzou, Arky, OM, Vandy.

Loses: Bama, Auburn, LSU, UGA, A&M(?)

tossups: Kentucky.

I want to say A&M is a tossup just because 1) they're never as good as they should be, 2) I think Jimbo is not a very adaptive offensive mind so the 3-3-5 might give him trouble, 3) their DC has not impressed me the last 2 years and so I think it's likely he fails to adjust properly to the air raid. 4) Mond is just not a "winner", and doesn't do anything for me.

Similarly Auburn could be an upset. They won't have a good QB, and thus won't have a particularly scary O. Adding Morris as OC doesn't scare me at all (he was only hired because Gus knows he'll run the exact crap he himself would, and holy hell was his O at Arky bad. His horrible QB management/development at Arky also doesn't make me think Nix takes a step forward). Yeah Auburns D should be fast, talented, and well coached, BUT their secondary hasn't been all that good recently and you never know is any given DC will know what to do vs Leach.

All in all, I don't expect to do better tan 5-5. When you're playing your SEC peers with a first year HC, new defensive scheme, and a D with less than usual talent levels, 5-5 (i.e. middle of the pack) is perfectly fine.

As long as we show signs of improvement and that the SloMo culture is fixed, I'll be optimistic for the future. How the D comes along is also big, because my excitement for the future is largely based on what I think of the as yet unproven DC

Remember, a 5-5 year vs all SEC competition translates to a 4-4 conference record in normal years, and thus an 8-4 overall record. If Covid wasn't a thing I think all of us would take a 8-4 season

DownwardDawg
07-30-2020, 07:38 PM
I say 6-4

aTm could make us 7-3 because Jimbo sucks so bad. We could steal that one.

chef dixon
07-30-2020, 07:43 PM
If we get to play, this season is complete house money. I will have no expectations other than enjoying getting to watch us play. I think its the perfect situation to break in a new system since everything is so strange, and Leach's first year was always going to be a potential shit show. We may go 3-7 but I'll enjoy the hell out of it.

Quaoarsking
07-30-2020, 07:47 PM
I agree that anything above 5-5 is pretty optimistic thinking. Although we could definitely beat Auburn and/or A&M, you know Kentucky and Ole Miss are penciling us in as wins, and Missouri probably thinks of us as a swing game.

Very likely to lose: @Alabama, Georgia
Presumably very likely to lose: @LSU - though who knows with the new QB

Swing games - probable loss: Texas A&M, Auburn
Swing games - probable win: @Ole Miss, @Kentucky - hope the new schedule lets us play Kentucky earlier before it gets really cold

Clear favorite - Missouri
Very likely to win - Arkansas, @Vanderbilt

A lot of research shows that the primary cause of homefield advantage is referees subconsciously favoring the home crowd on very close calls, so it may be close to non-existent this year.

Quaoarsking
07-30-2020, 07:51 PM
With our luck though, Kylin and KJ will both be amazing top 5 picks, we'll go 9-1, they'll cancel the playoff (a playoff we definitely would have made and been the favorite to win), and the polls will give the national title to Clemson who beat nobody.

Or ... they will have a playoff, but we won't make it because we have a loss (to Georgia, who we wouldn't have played without the COVID rescheduling) and the other 4 P5 conferences will all have an undefeated team (at least 1 of which would have lost a non-conference game).

maroonmania
07-30-2020, 07:52 PM
I say 6-4

aTm could make us 7-3 because Jimbo sucks so bad. We could steal that one.

If we win 7 games THIS year under the current circumstances then the Leach era is going to be something to behold. Right now, given we didn't even get a Spring to implement the offense, I say 5 wins would be really good and 6 wins would be a great season.

confucius say
07-30-2020, 07:54 PM
It's so hard to predict record bc who knows who will be able to play. I suspect you will see scenarios where somebody's qb or first round dt test positive on Thursday and can't play.

Commercecomet24
07-30-2020, 07:54 PM
If we get to play, this season is complete house money. I will have no expectations other than enjoying getting to watch us play. I think its the perfect situation to break in a new system since everything is so strange, and Leach's first year was always going to be a potential shit show. We may go 3-7 but I'll enjoy the hell out of it.

This is where I'm at as well. As long as we're competitive and entertaining it'll be fun just to watch college football with all that's gone on this year. Let's just play ball!

KOdawg1
07-30-2020, 07:58 PM
At least we get to have an extended practice period. That'll help get the air raid installed and repped in good. Same goes for the defense.

KOdawg1
07-30-2020, 07:59 PM

Who's your 6th win if the perfect scenario happens? A&M or Auburn? Or LSU?

BeardoMSU
07-30-2020, 08:00 PM

Somewhat agree, but it'll be a shame to waste Costello's only season here on that.

chef dixon
07-30-2020, 08:06 PM
Somewhat agree, but it'll be a shame to waste Costello's only season here on that.

I think we are overrating what he is going to be, but that's what we are supposed to do as fans. He's pretty much functioning as a bandaid for year one to hopefully at least make us respectable till we have time to turn over the roster. That's me trying to be a realist.

BeardoMSU
07-30-2020, 08:20 PM
I think we are overrating what he is going to be, but that's what we are supposed to do as fans. He's pretty much functioning as a bandaid for year one to hopefully at least make us respectable till we have time to turn over the roster. That's me trying to be a realist.

Fair enough.

msstate7
07-30-2020, 08:25 PM
Is the season divisionless? Top 2 play for title?

Todd4State
07-30-2020, 09:06 PM
I don't think anything has been decided yet officially as far as who we will play. All we know is we're playing 10 SEC teams.

If there is an algorithm- heck I'd it's possible that we could be playing anyone in the league. The only team I would guess that we're guaranteed to play is Ole Miss.

BrunswickDawg
07-30-2020, 09:14 PM
Is the season divisionless? Top 2 play for title?

Keeping divisions.

msstate7
07-30-2020, 09:44 PM
Keeping divisions.

Don't like. Wish it were best 2 records

HoopsDawg
07-30-2020, 11:04 PM

Agree, absolutley no need to keep divisions. We should have to play Ole Miss and the other 9 games decided by a computer.

HoopsDawg
07-30-2020, 11:06 PM
Hot take, the SEC is an easy conference for us b/c we get 4 non-conference games. This is going to be a whole new ball game. I like it, but it's going to be a fight every week.

dantheman4248
07-30-2020, 11:11 PM
So is the Egg Bowl still on Thanksgiving?

Todd4State
07-31-2020, 12:34 AM

Agree, absolutley no need to keep divisions. We should have to play Ole Miss and the other 9 games decided by a computer.

I agree. Divisions in the SEC are stupid. Especially if Mizzou is in the East.

Hot take, the SEC is an easy conference for us b/c we get 4 non-conference games. This is going to be a whole new ball game. I like it, but it's going to be a fight every week.

Hot take- because the SEC is so difficult it's easier for schools in other conferences to win six to eight because they don't have to play a SEC schedule. That's one thing the "more interesting schedule" people don't seem to understand. If I told you that we were playing three teams that played for or won National Titles the last ten years, another that made the playoffs (assuming we get Georgia), a team that has won the SEC East twice the past ten years (Mizzou), one of the top two college programs in Texas, and a recently solid Kentucky program- most people would find that schedule "interesting enough".

Compare that to Clemson or Oklahoma's schedule and get back to me.

As it is we need to keep going to bowls to continue to grow our program. We get actual legit exposure, we get extra practices which are crucial to player development for MSU moreso than others, we get more money, and a lot of other things.

So is the Egg Bowl still on Thanksgiving?

Unknown at this point. I suspect it's either still on Thanksgiving or December 12 most likely.

Gypsy_RoadDawg
07-31-2020, 07:05 AM
I may be in the minority but I like this setup. 10 games that will all be significant and a late September start to the season.

FISHDAWG
07-31-2020, 07:14 AM
So what is now considered bowl eligible ? 5 wins? 4 wins ? ..... will there even be bowl games ?

FISHDAWG
07-31-2020, 07:19 AM
I agree that anything above 5-5 is pretty optimistic thinking. Although we could definitely beat Auburn and/or A&M, you know Kentucky and Ole Miss are penciling us in as wins, and Missouri probably thinks of us as a swing game.

Very likely to lose: @Alabama, Georgia
Presumably very likely to lose: @LSU - though who knows with the new QB

Swing games - probable loss: Texas A&M, Auburn
Swing games - probable win: @Ole Miss, @Kentucky - hope the new schedule lets us play Kentucky earlier before it gets really cold

Clear favorite - Missouri
Very likely to win - Arkansas, @Vanderbilt

A lot of research shows that the primary cause of homefield advantage is referees subconsciously favoring the home crowd on very close calls, so it may be close to non-existent this year.

I have always thought this but had no idea there was actual research done on it

BrunswickDawg
07-31-2020, 07:28 AM
Now, the big challenge is to convince the playoff to expand. Since most conferences are dropping 2 games, expand the playoffs. Take each conference Champ from the P5, the highest ranked G5 champ, and 2 at large teams and start Dec. 26th & 27th. The Final 4 on January 1 & 2 as scheduled, and the Championship on January 11th.

Lets turn this everything on its head this crazy COVID season

Quaoarsking
07-31-2020, 08:24 AM
I have always thought this but had no idea there was actual research done on it

I haven't read the research myself, but I read about it in the book Scorecasting

Coach34
07-31-2020, 08:56 AM
Who's your 6th win if the perfect scenario happens? A&M or Auburn? Or LSU?

Auburn. This could be the year the GusBus finally gets the axe. They are rebuilding the trenches. If they havent recruited very well there- we might be able to pull that one to get a win at home.

HoopsDawg
07-31-2020, 09:12 AM
Now, the big challenge is to convince the playoff to expand. Since most conferences are dropping 2 games, expand the playoffs. Take each conference Champ from the P5, the highest ranked G5 champ, and 2 at large teams and start Dec. 26th & 27th. The Final 4 on January 1 & 2 as scheduled, and the Championship on January 11th.

Lets turn this everything on its head this crazy COVID season

never understood why anyone would want a G5 team in the playoff.

TrapGame
07-31-2020, 09:28 AM
I'm not gonna predict any wins or loses. I'm just gonna hold on for the ride. This could be very interesting.

BrunswickDawg
07-31-2020, 09:44 AM
never understood why anyone would want a G5 team in the playoff.

Because the odds are pretty strong that at least 1 of them will be undefeated or have just 1 loss. By including them, and beating them, you shut down the stupid "UCF is the real national champ" arguments.

confucius say
07-31-2020, 10:02 AM
None of this scheduling may matter if the approach is going to be to cancel a game because of one asymptomatic positive test. Will be interesting to see the protocol and how that is handled.

SheltonChoked
07-31-2020, 10:31 AM

5-3

Jack Lambert
07-31-2020, 10:33 AM

We go 1-1. They go 0-2

Homedawg
07-31-2020, 10:34 AM
None of this scheduling may matter if the approach is going to be to cancel a game because of one asymptomatic positive test. Will be interesting to see the protocol and how that is handled.

yep. Baseball is screwing up everything. The shot we had to play was small, now its becoming way less likely. chances of playing 10 games is not good, at all. It's a hope, dream, whatever you want to call it.

BB30
07-31-2020, 10:40 AM
yep. Baseball is screwing up everything. The shot we had to play was small, now its becoming way less likely. chances of playing 10 games is not good, at all. It's a hope, dream, whatever you want to call it.

Eh, I think we definitely get to see some college football. Too much money involved not too attempt it. It may only be two or three weeks of football but they are going to do everything possible to play some games and get that TV money. The end of September is still a ways away so they have some time to make decisions and 8 weeks is a good amount of time to learn more about the virus and safe protocols for athletes. They will be able to learn quite a bit from the mlb debacle etc.

It will be interesting to see how it works out.

I agree on the prognostications. 4-6 to 5-5. I'll just be glad for some sports regardless of what or how we look. I can see a lot of back yard tailgates with the family this year. Nothing better than getting started on the grill on a cool fall morning.

And the good news about this schedule is we should have some big games to watch in the SEC every week now.

Leroy Jenkins
07-31-2020, 11:20 AM
5-3

5-3 in a 10 game schedule?

Political Hack
07-31-2020, 11:32 AM
If we're really, really, really good this year we'll go 5-5.

Homedawg
07-31-2020, 11:38 AM

Go figure......

KOdawg1
07-31-2020, 11:43 AM
Our secondary is going to be bad. Like really bad.

Commercecomet24
Go figure......

Common core math?

Leroy Jenkins
With different conferences playing a different amount of games, I'm curious to see the criteria to qualify for bowl eligibility.

Jack Lambert
07-31-2020, 12:40 PM
With different conferences playing a different amount of games, I'm curious to see the criteria to qualify for bowl eligibility.

They may not be planning for bowl games.

Jack Lambert
07-31-2020, 12:56 PM
I would not be surprise if to make this work we play a team on the road that were supposed to play at home.

SheltonChoked
07-31-2020, 01:22 PM

2 games COVID out.

Santiago
07-31-2020, 01:26 PM
2 games COVID out.

Covid Plus that Carole Baskin ***

Cowbell
07-31-2020, 01:27 PM
Our secondary is going to be bad. Like really bad.

Starters will be ok but depth will hurt us

BrunswickDawg
07-31-2020, 01:43 PM
Covid Plus that Carole Baskin ***

Lucky for USM she doesn't care about Golden Eagles, she'd shut that place down with their track record.

Dawgology
08-01-2020, 08:58 AM

Rosebowl mentioned yesterday that bowl games were still a go and that the SEC would probably just fill all of their tie-in bowls regardless of win/loss. Said he wouldn’t be surprised at all to see some 4-6 teams go bowling.

Dawgology
08-01-2020, 09:02 AM
I’m looking at this season as one big “pre-season”. There will be teams fielded without the majority of their 1st string at times against a fully loaded roster. There will be teams starting players from their third string. Regardless of this seasons results there will always be a big asterisk next to it because of Covid and no matter who wins or loses it will always be “because of the pandemic”. This is a great season to install a brand new scheme, get your depth experience, and build to 2021.

confucius say
08-01-2020, 09:07 AM
I’m looking at this season as one big “pre-season”. There will be teams fielded without the majority of their 1st string at times against a fully loaded roster. There will be teams starting players from their third string. Regardless of this seasons results there will always be a big asterisk next to it because of Covid and no matter who wins or loses it will always be “because of the pandemic”. This is a great season to install a brand new scheme, get your depth experience, and build to 2021.

So you're thinking players will miss games due to covid? As opposed to the game being cancelled bc on a positive covid test? I hope you're correct.

Mobile Bay
08-01-2020, 09:40 AM
Rosebowl mentioned yesterday that bowl games were still a go and that the SEC would probably just fill all of their tie-in bowls regardless of win/loss. Said he wouldn’t be surprised at all to see some 4-6 teams go bowling.

The Redbox bowl has already canceled. I think we will see some but not all. And what we don't see will be for a multitude of reasons.

Some of the small bowls make real good money for ESPN, so I think we will see those. But it would depend on what those were allowed in terms of tickets. For example I know ESPN has made over a million dollars in non TV revenue off the Camilla Bowl every year. But I do not think the current mayor of Montgomery will even allow that game to sell one ticket. So I look for it to get canceled. Whereas they may still play the Birmingham Bowl, which is never even close to full anyway. The years I have gone 25% capacity would still leave unsold tickets.

I expect the biggest bowls will be played.

I doubt the Motor City bowl will be allowed. I am surprised the governor of Michigan is even allowing them to play anything there.

The Bahamas may not be letting Americans in, so that bowl would be canceled.

The middle tier bowls, I have no clue. I expect them to be all over the place because the politicians may not allow them, or they may be too expensive to put on without tickets, and so on.

R2Dawg
08-01-2020, 09:45 AM
2 games COVID out.

Maybe we can have a good record with a timely Covid issue the week of Bama and LSU.

Dawgology
08-01-2020, 09:51 AM
So you're thinking players will miss games due to covid? As opposed to the game being cancelled bc on a positive covid test? I hope you're correct.

I think so. I guess it depends on what happens but, honestly, I imagine most college football players will have had Covid by the time the season starts or within the first quarter of the season if this virus is anywhere as close to as contagious as the CDC and news outlets are saying it is.

I would imagine that those who have already had the virus would be able to continue on playing. Much like schools are going to go. If you test positive you are quarantined for two weeks. If you came into contact with the positive person then you get tested. If your positive you quarantine. If you aren’t positive you continue on with playing and practice.

Dawgology
08-01-2020, 09:54 AM
The Redbox bowl has already canceled. I think we will see some but not all. And what we don't see will be for a multitude of reasons.

Some of the small bowls make real good money for ESPN, so I think we will see those. But it would depend on what those were allowed in terms of tickets. For example I know ESPN has made over a million dollars in non TV revenue off the Camilla Bowl every year. But I do not think the current mayor of Montgomery will even allow that game to sell one ticket. So I look for it to get canceled. Whereas they may still play the Birmingham Bowl, which is never even close to full anyway. The years I have gone 25% capacity would still leave unsold tickets.

I expect the biggest bowls will be played.

I doubt the Motor City bowl will be allowed. I am surprised the governor of Michigan is even allowing them to play anything there.

The Bahamas may not be letting Americans in, so that bowl would be canceled.

The middle tier bowls, I have no clue. I expect them to be all over the place because the politicians may not allow them, or they may be too expensive to put on without tickets, and so on.

I was speaking strictly about SEC tie-in bowls which are predominantly located in the southeast. The non-SEC tie in bowls would be a non-factor. A lot could change between now and then depending on treatments, vaccine, and numbers but I feel most bowls will not sell tickets but they may do a pay-per-view scenario or just rely on increased ad revenue. I think most outlets are expecting a bumper year in ad revenue because TV viewership is expected to be at a historical high this year for a multitude of reasons.

Mobile Bay
08-01-2020, 10:48 AM
I could see either the Liberty or Music City bowls canceled. I don't know about Memphis, but isn't Nashville on pretty hard lockdown right now?

chef dixon
08-01-2020, 11:29 AM
Would be a great year to have a 16 team playoff instead of a bunch of bowl games that require weird traveling. Also would give more teams a shot with the uneven schedules. Could probably do a bubble style playoff

SheltonChoked
08-01-2020, 05:35 PM
Maybe we can have a good record with a timely Covid issue the week of Bama and LSU.
Especially, if they are back to back and we are undefeated going into them....

Oops, whole team got the Covid.....

lastmajordog
08-01-2020, 07:48 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DownwardDawg
08-01-2020, 08:01 PM
I could see either the Liberty or Music City bowls canceled. I don't know about Memphis, but isn't Nashville on pretty hard lockdown right now?

Yes. The Nashville mayor is killing Nashville businesses.
I seriously doubt he will allow a bowl game.

Offshore Dawg
08-02-2020, 01:42 PM

Historically speaking the Dawgs haven't done all that good in SEC only

HoopsDawg
08-02-2020, 02:55 PM
Historically speaking the Dawgs haven't done all that good in SEC only

lol, no, not at all.