PDA

View Full Version : 2020 Atlanta Braves (abbreviated) Season Thread

KOdawg1
07-29-2020, 02:16 PM
Since there are a few Braves fans on this board, I thought we could have a thread to vent lol.

Off to a 2-3 start so far.

Bad news: our rotation behind Soroka and Fried is ass. Cole Hamels getting hurt and Felix Hernandez opting out have hurt us. Gonna have to rely on some young guys. Also, we're striking out too damn much. Just uncompetitive at-bats left and right.

Good news: It was just announced that Nick Markakis is rejoining the team. It'll be nice to have a veteran hitter that doesn't strike out often. Maybe his presence will help some of these younger guys.

Regardless, it's nice to have sports again.

msstate7
07-29-2020, 02:20 PM
I'm not freaking out like usual this season. This season is sort of a joke to me with just 60 games, so I just plan to enjoy them.

KOdawg1
07-29-2020, 02:24 PM
I'm not freaking out like usual this season. This season is sort of a joke to me with just 60 games, so I just plan to enjoy them.

The hitting will come around. Just too much talent for it not to.

I just don't know about the pitching

StarkVegasSteve
07-29-2020, 02:36 PM
I get the feeling we're just going to have to gorilla ball people this year. Our pen isn't any better than the back part of our rotation.

BrunswickDawg
07-29-2020, 02:49 PM
Nick Markakis decided to play. Going to Gwinnett to work his way into the lineup

AmiteDog
07-29-2020, 03:22 PM
Ozunas hitting will help pay for the 1 year contract but his defense all but assures that he wont be re-signed. Hamels is pretty much a waste of 18 million.

Except for that mammoth homerun, Riley has been unimpressive at the plate although his defense is solid. Still not sure he is ready to take on a full time role next year.

Outside of the two young studs, Anthopolous has held on to many of the young guys too long with not enough production and now their value is slipping. He is going to have to open up the purse strings and find a couple of long term options at OF and SP. Dansby looks to have turned the corner offensively and next year is his age 27 season. The rest of this lineup is too solid for AA to dick around another offseason and not commit to some long term help.

KOdawg1
07-29-2020, 03:38 PM
Ozunas hitting will help pay for the 1 year contract but his defense all but assures that he wont be re-signed. Hamels is pretty much a waste of 18 million.

Except for that mammoth homerun, Riley has been unimpressive at the plate although his defense is solid. Still not sure he is ready to take on a full time role next year.

Outside of the two young studs, Anthopolous has held on to many of the young guys too long with not enough production and now their value is slipping. He is going to have to open up the purse strings and find a couple of long term options at OF and SP. Dansby looks to have turned the corner offensively and next year is his age 27 season. The rest of this lineup is too solid for AA to dick around another offseason and not commit to some long term help.

I agree. The time to cash in on some of your prospects is soon. Either commit to them or trade them for some immediate help so we can try to win a title.

Ozuna is an outstanding option at DH with this weird season, but like you said, his defense leaves a lot to be desired. Pache is the future in CF and Acuna is in RF. Do you commit to Drew Waters in LF? If you do, you need to pick up a power bat somewhere else. I like the fact that Austin Riley is a Mississippi kid and all, but his advanced analytics suggest he isn't going to be anything magnificent. He's a sub .250 hitter who's going to hit his share of bombs but also strike out a shit ton. Lots of question marks for sure, but the good news is we have this odd season to throw guys into the fire and figure out some of those questions.

msstate7
07-29-2020, 03:46 PM
It's been 5 games. Probably a little early to draw too many conclusions.

KOdawg1
07-29-2020, 06:17 PM
I'm listening on the radio broadcast and it sounds like they're pumping the crowd noise heavy. Sounds like a real game.

shoeless joe
07-29-2020, 06:35 PM
I don?t like the mental make up of this team. They seem to be front runners. Freddie is capable of carrying the team but he doesn?t seem to be back to his old self. Hopefully Markakis coming back will help. Acuna and Albies are Uber talented but they?re not gamers. Dansby seems to be the grittiest guy we have and I haven?t really been a huge dansby fan during his career.

MetEdDawg
07-29-2020, 07:00 PM
The strikeouts are the killers. We've been striking out in situational hitting opportunities where striking out is absolutely an outcome that simply can't happen.

And if you look at these swings from guys with 2 strikes, especially Acu?a and Riley, they are swinging for the damn fence with men in scoring position and 2 strikes. It's bad baseball

Riley and Inciarte both struck out with men on 1st and 2nd in the 2nd inning tonight. That kind of crap just can't happen at the rate it has been for us when you are a professional.

Here's a fun stat. With Freddie's homer just now we've scored 28 runs this year. Exactly half of them have come from the home run. You can't survive in baseball if 50% of your runs come from the homer.

KOdawg1
07-29-2020, 07:54 PM
Tie game in the 6th. Hopefully we can keep from imploding

KOdawg1
07-29-2020, 07:56 PM
Tie game in the 6th. Hopefully we can keep from imploding

Nvm. We can cancel the season now.

MaroonFlounder
07-29-2020, 08:06 PM
YouTube TV no longer offers the regional Fox Sports channels.

I now only get the Braves when they are the featured ESPN game.

What options do I have to get the games?

KOdawg1
07-29-2020, 08:08 PM
YouTube TV no longer offers the regional Fox Sports channels.

I now only get the Braves when they are the featured ESPN game.

What options do I have to get the games?

Direct TV and Hulu are about it I think. I just listen to the games on the radio.

KOdawg1
07-29-2020, 08:11 PM
Dansby is on fire

KOdawg1
07-29-2020, 08:24 PM
5-4 Braves

shoeless joe
07-29-2020, 08:27 PM
Blue strugglin behind the plate. Def seems Braves have been on the short end of borderline strikes this series.

KOdawg1
07-29-2020, 08:33 PM
Who was that dude and what did he do with AJ Minter?

KOdawg1
07-29-2020, 08:53 PM
7-4. We don't have to cancel the season now.

KOdawg1
07-29-2020, 09:35 PM
Good comeback win.

KOdawg1
07-31-2020, 09:47 PM
WOW. Down 8-2 and then 10-5 throughout the game, but the Braves come back to win 11-10.

msstate7
07-31-2020, 09:52 PM
Need to find a couple starters and a 3b step up. Not too worried about Acuna... he'll get going soon. Will Smith is gonna make this pen very good.

ETA... maybe touki will step up tomorrow

KOdawg1
07-31-2020, 09:59 PM
Need to find a couple starters and a 3b step up. Not too worried about Acuna... he'll get going soon. Will Smith is gonna make this pen very good.

ETA... maybe touki will step up tomorrow
A pen of Smith, Melancon, Greene, Martin, Jackson, Minter, and O'Day is probably one of if not the best in baseball. I think 3B will work itself out. It's a shame Camargo hits better from the right side though bc a platoon of him vs. RHP and Riley vs. LHP would be nice.

I am worried about SP though. I think you just rotate through the young guys with baptism by fire and hope a couple step up. I don't think this is the year to make any trades unless you get someone on a multi year deal.

msstate7
07-31-2020, 10:04 PM
If the newcomb, touki, and Wright struggles continue, could see Ian Anderson or maybe even josh tomlin. I'd love to see Anderson if for no other reason that to see enscheff's pitch analysis on him. And yeah, I wouldn't trade this year.

Commercecomet24
08-01-2020, 01:30 AM
Newcomb needs to hang out with Fried and copy everything he does. Braves are scrappy and I love that absolutely no quit in them. Another good win.

KOdawg1
08-02-2020, 03:54 PM
5 game winning streak. Not bad considering half your rotation can't get past the 4th inning. It also helps when you play the Mets for 7 of your first 11 games. Y'all see where Cespedes just decided he was done and didn't tell anybody? What a joke of a franchise.

shoeless joe
08-02-2020, 04:28 PM
5 game winning streak. Not bad considering half your rotation can't get past the 4th inning. It also helps when you play the Mets for 7 of your first 11 games. Y'all see where Cespedes just decided he was done and didn't tell anybody? What a joke of a franchise.

No doubt...I hate to speculate without knowing his personal situation but if I was a betting man I’d say some of these guys don’t like the constant regulations, and if combined with poor performance the weak minded are being weeded out. (I could be completely wrong and he has a serious reason for not continuing, although not communicating with the team makes me doubt this)

Commercecomet24
08-03-2020, 06:59 PM
Well Sorokas done dang it!

MaroonFlounder
08-03-2020, 07:07 PM
Well Sorokas done dang it!

Yep. That's a season-ender. Braves have no reliable starting pitching.

Commercecomet24
08-03-2020, 07:10 PM
Yep. That's a season-ender. Braves have no reliable starting pitching.

Yeah they were starting to get on a little roll as a team but him and fried were the only reliable starters and now Sorokas gone. Just dang!

Commercecomet24
08-03-2020, 07:11 PM
I've torn my ankle up twice on the baseball field and i winced when I saw him go down. Been there done that!

msstate7
08-03-2020, 07:11 PM
We gonna see Ian Anderson?

Commercecomet24
08-03-2020, 07:12 PM
We gonna see Ian Anderson?

Might as well give him a shot.

BrunswickDawg
08-03-2020, 07:16 PM
I'm beginning to think it was a mistake starting the season. So many pitching injuries league wide (Astros are decimated). So many cancelled games. Should have just called it a year and started training for 2021.

Baseball players are all about routine - and that routine was shot. Shows in injuries and things like Christian Yelich batting .031

Commercecomet24
08-03-2020, 07:22 PM
I'm beginning to think it was a mistake starting the season. So many pitching injuries league wide (Astros are decimated). So many cancelled games. Should have just called it a year and started training for 2021.

Baseball players are all about routine - and that routine was shot. Shows in injuries and things like Christian Yelich batting .031

2020 has been a butt ugly year all
The way around! I'm burning the heck out of this years calendar on 12/31 and hoping 2021 is better!

BrunswickDawg
08-03-2020, 07:26 PM
2020 has been a butt ugly year all
The way around! I'm burning the heck out of this years calendar on 12/31 and hoping 2021 is better!

I been doing my part - giving Jobu lots of rum and cigars, but nothing seems to be working to take the stink off 2020.

KOdawg1
08-03-2020, 07:32 PM
I hate this year

msstate7
08-03-2020, 07:32 PM
Saw this on braves board...

"I looked up Zach Britton because he?s the only one I could remember who had it. Looks like he ruptured it while running in December 2017 and returned June 2018."

if Britton (an older guy) can recover in 7 months, soroka should be able to be back around ST next year. Hopefully this isn't a ruptured achillies though.

Commercecomet24
08-03-2020, 07:35 PM
I been doing my part - giving Jobu lots of rum and cigars, but nothing seems to be working to take the stink off 2020.

Yeah I'm afraid nothings gonna work for this year. You tried sacrificing a live chicken yet though?****

BrunswickDawg
08-03-2020, 07:51 PM
Yeah I'm afraid nothings gonna work for this year. You tried sacrificing a live chicken yet though?****
I stick to the bucket of the Colonels best.

I'm just glad none of my friends are getting married - this would be the year that candlesticks don't make a nice gift.

Commercecomet24
08-03-2020, 07:58 PM
I stick to the bucket of the Colonels best.

I'm just glad none of my friends are getting married - this would be the year that candlesticks don't make a nice gift.

Same here on the chicken although i did slaughter a few for Sunday dinner when I was growing up.

Agree on the candlesticks lol!!!

dantheman4248
08-03-2020, 08:34 PM
https://twitter.com/pitchingninja/status/1290430277605634049?s=21

deGrom is the best pitcher that I've seen in my lifetime.

What does he have to do to get to solidify himself ahead of Seaver / Ryan / whomever in yalls mind?

msstate7
08-03-2020, 08:43 PM
I don't know where to rank deGrom in all time rankings, but I put him #1 at the moment. He doesn't appear to be slowing down either

BrunswickDawg
08-03-2020, 08:58 PM

What does he have to do to get to solidify himself ahead of Seaver / Ryan / whomever in yalls mind?

He needs to do what he's doing another 10 years to reach those guys. He could be another Seaver/Ryan type, or he could flame out. Right now he's the best active player - hard to argue against it. But, those greats did it a lot longer.

Commercecomet24
08-03-2020, 09:22 PM
He needs to do what he's doing another 10 years to reach those guys. He could be another Seaver/Ryan type, or he could flame out. Right now he's the best active player - hard to argue against it. But, those greats did it a lot longer.

Agreed. To reach the pantheon of the immortals in baseball gotta do it for awhile. Lot of guys can't go the distance. Kerry Wood had this kinda stuff too but didn't last, and there's plenty of others on that list.

shoeless joe
08-03-2020, 10:13 PM

Needs get some hats for albies bats. If anyone throws him anything but an up/in fastball with two strikes they should be run outta the league on a rail.

Commercecomet24
08-03-2020, 10:18 PM
Needs get some hats for albies bats. If anyone throws him anything but an up/in fastball with two strikes they should be run outta the league on a rail.

Yeah Ozzie needs to say "forget you jobu I do it myself"

MaroonFlounder
08-04-2020, 03:25 PM

I was trying to think of a comparison for deGromm.

Doesn't he seem like a "Greg Maddux" but with better velocity? Or is there a better comparison?

Commercecomet24
08-04-2020, 03:28 PM
I was trying to think of a comparison for deGromm.

Doesn't he seem like a "Greg Maddux" but with better velocity? Or is there a better comparison?

Maddux was fastball/changeup didn't throw a lot of breaking balls. He reminds me a lot of Kerry Wood stuff wise and also Justin Verlander but that's just my unexpert opinion.

shoeless joe
08-04-2020, 09:59 PM
Maddux was fastball/changeup didn't throw a lot of breaking balls. He reminds me a lot of Kerry Wood stuff wise and also Justin Verlander but that's just my unexpert opinion.

IMO he’s got more movement on his pitches than those guys. His cutter and two seam are what separates him with his easy gas. I think Pedro is a better comp. deGrom does throw harder

Commercecomet24
08-04-2020, 10:41 PM
IMO he’s got more movement on his pitches than those guys. His cutter and two seam are what separates him with his easy gas. I think Pedro is a better comp. deGrom does throw harder

Interesting thought. I wouldn't have thought of Pedro because of the difference in size and arm slot. The great thing about the truly immortals(like Degrom has the potential to become)is they don't really have a good comp, they're unique. Love these type discussions. I could do these all day everyday!

BrunswickDawg
08-05-2020, 08:46 AM
Interesting thought. I wouldn't have thought of Pedro because of the difference in size and arm slot. The great thing about the truly immortals(like Degrom has the potential to become)is they don't really have a good comp, they're unique. Love these type discussions. I could do these all day everyday!

The 90's Braves rotation is a classic example of that. Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz were as different as 3 guys could be. Maddux looked like he should be selling auto parts somewhere, not working as the greatest control pitcher of our generation.

msstate7
08-05-2020, 09:00 AM
The 90's Braves rotation is a classic example of that. Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz were as different as 3 guys could be. Maddux looked like he should be selling auto parts somewhere, not working as the greatest control pitcher of our generation.

https://youtu.be/axkik-8oFTs

KOdawg1
08-05-2020, 09:15 AM

That's awesome. Maddux is one of my favorites.

Commercecomet24
08-05-2020, 09:44 AM

You got that right. 3 greats with 3 absolutely different approaches and styles. I miss watching those 3 pitch, especially Maddux. During his prime Maddux would pitch a 2 or 3 hitter and game would be over in 2 hours. Dude just carved up hitters.

Commercecomet24
08-05-2020, 09:51 AM

That's hilarious! Maddux seemed so mild mannered but cussed like a sailor and pulled some absolutely filthy pranks in the clubhouse. Funny guy!

BiscuitEater
08-05-2020, 02:14 PM
Have the Braves been mathematically eliminated yet?

Tbonewannabe
08-06-2020, 11:44 AM

I would say Maddux is the greatest control pitcher of all time. I forget the Stat but his 4 ball walk total was really low and over half were intentional walks.

BrunswickDawg
08-07-2020, 07:53 AM
That Markakis walk off was a nice welcome back last night!

msstate7
08-07-2020, 08:45 AM
That Markakis walk off was a nice welcome back last night!

It was awesome. Think I liked the touki performance even better. We really need touki, newcomb, and Wright.

Commercecomet24
08-07-2020, 12:46 PM
It was awesome. Think I liked the touki performance even better. We really need touki, newcomb, and Wright.

Touki looked great. If he continues to mix his pitches like that he'll do great. He definitely has the talent just has to stay consistent.

TNDawg35
08-12-2020, 06:44 PM
Hey MState. Bumped this for ya, but here is my question. If this were a reg season, how long do you let Austin stay in Atlanta hitting .175?

msstate7
08-12-2020, 10:32 PM
Hey MState. Bumped this for ya, but here is my question. If this were a reg season, how long do you let Austin stay in Atlanta hitting .175?

I would let him keep playing pretty regular unless Camargo got going or a player became available.

KOdawg1
08-12-2020, 10:40 PM
Yankees are exposing our pitching big time

TNDawg35
08-12-2020, 11:57 PM

Shit, Yankees smash at home period. It doesn’t matter who is pitching against them. What they are doing to Clint Frazier is crazy tho. That man needs to be put in Stantons place and I would trade Stanton for another big pitcher. I can’t stand his injured ass...

parabrave
08-14-2020, 11:48 AM

Well this years pitching will be auditioning for next year. Losing Albies and Acuna to injury is going to hurt bad. We don't have a 1-2 combination now and that lack of production will affect the rest of the lineup,

msstate7
08-18-2020, 04:58 PM
Pache up

AmiteDog
08-18-2020, 08:05 PM
Well now most of the pitching that AA has continued to hold on to has shown that they cant throw strikes and their trade stock is dying. Better hit the free agent market hard this offseason. Obviously no re-signing of Hamels or Ozuna, so its back to finding another corner outfielder and couple of starting pitchers and most likely a 3rd sacker

msstate7
08-18-2020, 08:14 PM
We could see Ian Anderson soon

msstate7
08-25-2020, 11:04 AM
Ian Anderson debuts tonight vs cole and the Yankees. Good luck kid

Acuna back up

Commercecomet24
08-25-2020, 11:53 AM
Ian Anderson debuts tonight vs cole and the Yankees. Good luck kid

Acuna back up

Excited to watch this one tonight.

msstate7
08-27-2020, 08:16 AM
Ian Anderson was outstanding. I know he won't be that great every start, but he looks promising. If he can lock down that #3 starter, this rotation all-the-sudden looks entirely different next season with soroka, fried, and Anderson... sign a veteran inning eater, and hopefully one of the up-down crew (folty, newcomb, Wright, touki, and Wilson) takes that 5th starter.

Half way home, and the braves are in 1st place with only 1 team left on the schedule with a winning record, marlins. Braves finish 6-5 vs Yankees, rays, and jays, impressive.

Commercecomet24
08-27-2020, 11:37 AM
Ian Anderson was outstanding. I know he won't be that great every start, but he looks promising. If he can lock down that #3 starter, this rotation all-the-sudden looks entirely different next season with soroka, fried, and Anderson... sign a veteran inning eater, and hopefully one of the up-down crew (folty, newcomb, Wright, touki, and Wilson) takes that 5th starter.

Half way home, and the braves are in 1st place with only 1 team left on the schedule with a winning record, marlins. Braves finish 6-5 vs Yankees, rays, and jays, impressive.

Agreed. Anderson has command and that's a big difference in the other young arms we've run out there. That change up of his is devastating and a great pitch to get lefties out and he used effectively against righties too. This team is scrappy and fights and they're never out of any game. Great bullpen, score a lot of late inning runs and can rip fastballs. To bad soroka went down. Soroka Fried and Anderson would be tough in a playoff format but the future looks bright.