PDA

View Full Version : Has UM at any point at any time been as low as 91st in recruiting?

Jack Lambert
07-28-2020, 03:52 PM
I am not happy about the numbers in our class or the 41st ranking but for a school that really takes pride in recruiting they are not doing very well.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
07-28-2020, 04:01 PM
Have no idea if they've ever been lower than 91st. What I'm wondering is why they're that low? Aren't the coaches Kiffin brought in known for being really good recruiters?

TrapGame
07-28-2020, 04:19 PM
I thought DJ Durkin was supposed to be a stud recruiter. That's the way he was made out to be.

Todd4State
07-28-2020, 04:42 PM
I suspect our class will be much better than 41 when it's all said and done.

BeardoMSU
07-28-2020, 04:52 PM
Neal is gonna have to chow down on a bucket full of crow....as he predicted them to have a top 10 class this year, lol. Even without COVID, which has impacted everyone, that prediction was batshit, even for a "non fan" such as him.

Johnson85
07-28-2020, 04:54 PM
I thought DJ Durkin was supposed to be a stud recruiter. That's the way he was made out to be.

Didn't he kill a player? Might be hurting him on the recruiting trail.

ZedFedder
07-28-2020, 04:56 PM
Didn't he kill a player? Might be hurting him on the recruiting trail.

Yep, and a former strength staffer here at MSU under Mullen was the strength coach.

msbulldog
07-28-2020, 06:14 PM
Yep, and a former strength staffer here at MSU under Mullen was the strength coach.

Yes, the player died on the strength coaches watch, his name was Rick Court and he always seemed a little nuts. I think he was the one that used log carrying and tractor tire flipping exercises in July. The player was collapsed after a workout and there was some time between that and when they called medical help, if I remember right. There were some other horrendous complaints against Durkin by his players. They suspended Durkin and then reinstated him after the public backlash. Sorry for the long winded post, I'm enjoying cocktails as I post! HAIL STATE!

Dolphus Raymond
07-28-2020, 06:43 PM
I believed Kiffin would recruit well at UM. Does anyone think Kiffin has just lost interest? We have a long way to go, and he may pull a rabbit out of his hat, but ranked 91 at the end of July? Further, perhaps the following three words are hindering him: Ole. Miss. Rebels. Spinning that is a challenge for anyone.

confucius say
07-28-2020, 06:43 PM
OM currently is 95th. Woof

Uncle Ruckus
07-28-2020, 06:49 PM
Yes, the player died on the strength coaches watch, his name was Rick Court and he always seemed a little nuts. I think he was the one that used log carrying and tractor tire flipping exercises in July. The player was collapsed after a workout and there was some time between that and when they called medical help, if I remember right. There were some other horrendous complaints against Durkin by his players. They suspended Durkin and then reinstated him after the public backlash. Sorry for the long winded post, I'm enjoying cocktails as I post! HAIL STATE!
There is absolutely nothing wrong with tire flipping and light pole carrying.

thf24
07-28-2020, 07:34 PM
I believed Kiffin would recruit well at UM. Does anyone think Kiffin has just lost interest? We have a long way to go, and he may pull a rabbit out of his hat, but ranked 91 at the end of July? Further, perhaps the following three words are hindering him: Ole. Miss. Rebels. Spinning that is a challenge for anyone.

Kiffin has always been vastly overrated as a recruiting head coach. Gifted the one good class he signed at Tennessee, steadily regressed through four cycles at USC that should recruit top 10 classes in its sleep. He may be in over his head with the uphill battle recruiting at OM currently is.

RocketDawg
07-28-2020, 07:37 PM

I suppose the point was doing that in July. I think it happend at Maryland, but the University of Maryland (located inside the Beltway), is just as hot and humid as Mississippi is in July.

In fact, the average temp for July this year at Washington/National has been 84.0 with 25 of 28 days above 90. In Huntsville, the average has been 81.2 (a degree or so above normal). Huntsville should be pretty near the average for most of north Mississippi.

LC Dawg
07-28-2020, 07:55 PM
The Ole Miss formula is to take the actual ranking and multiply by 1000 and divide by $10000 which gives you an average ranking of 9.1.
You see, all is well on the plantation.

Homedawg
07-28-2020, 07:57 PM
I suspect our class will be much better than 41 when it's all said and done.

I don't think we will end up top 30. But 30-35 ish. In state is bad ranking wise.

Ari Gold
07-28-2020, 09:37 PM
I don't think we will end up top 30. But 30-35 ish. In state is bad ranking wise.

Agree.. the talent top to bottom in Miss is for sure down this year .. and all most all of the top players are WR / athletes.. not the normal DL and defensive side of the ball talent .. even the juco talent this year seems to be down
next year will be different

What is most encouraging is the amount of talent we have as of today from out of state.. if we keep that up and do what we normally do in years where the talent is better in Mississippi we might see some rankings in uncharted waters ...

Todd4State
07-28-2020, 09:44 PM
Kiffin has always been vastly overrated as a recruiting head coach. Gifted the one good class he signed at Tennessee, steadily regressed through four cycles at USC that should recruit top 10 classes in its sleep. He may be in over his head with the uphill battle recruiting at OM currently is.

I think a lot of his reputation is because Coach O was on his staff. C-USA recruiting rankings are pretty hit or miss and probably fairly inaccurate because the vast majority of those players are all going to be three stars or worse.

If he keeps recruiting like this his ass will be gone before Arch Manning's class comes up.

Todd4State
07-28-2020, 09:45 PM
Agree.. the talent top to bottom in Miss is for sure down this year .. and all most all of the top players are WR / athletes.. not the normal DL and defensive side of the ball talent .. even the juco talent this year seems to be down
next year will be different

What is most encouraging is the amount of talent we have as of today from out of state.. if we keep that up and do what we normally do in years where the talent is better in Mississippi we might see some rankings in uncharted waters ...

I like that we're filling needs from a positional standpoint better than we did under Dan.

I'd rather have a top 32 class with all of our needs met in some form or fashion than a top 25 class with gaps in it that come back to haunt us in three years.

msbulldog
07-29-2020, 05:46 AM

Kiffin had Ed Orgeron at Tennessee and at first at USC before Ole Miss hired him away. Orgeron was named national recruiter of the year at USC, he was doing the recruiting that Kiffen gets credit for.

Santiago
07-29-2020, 08:13 AM
Kiffin had Ed Orgeron at Tennessee and at first at USC before Ole Miss hired him away. Orgeron was named national recruiter of the year at USC, he was doing the recruiting that Kiffen gets credit for.

I think Ole Miss hired Orgeron from Pete Carroll, because Ed O became interim USC coach after Kiffin fired at USC( at the airport)....but check me on that.

Doing the 3 degrees of Bacon sort of..... Ole Miss now has as head coach the guy that USC fired on the tarmac during the season, but Ole Miss fired their coach O who actually took over for Kiffin that season.
Good times Ole Miss. Good times coming indeed.

BrunswickDawg
07-29-2020, 08:19 AM
I think Ole Miss hired Orgeron from Pete Carroll, because Ed O became interim USC coach after Kiffin fired at USC( at the airport)....but check me on that.

Doing the 3 degrees of Bacon sort of..... Ole Miss now has as head coach the guy that USC fired on the tarmac during the season, but Ole Miss fired their coach O who actually took over for Kiffin that season.
Good times Ole Miss. Good times coming indeed.

You are correct. Kiffin took O to USC when he jilted Rocky Top. O was interim at USC after the Tarmac firing, and the players loved him. He went 6-1 in conference play and saved their season in '13.

Johnson85
07-29-2020, 08:56 AM
That was tongue in cheek when I said he killed him, although I was serious that it might hurt him on the recruiting trail.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-29-2020, 09:29 AM
I am not happy about the numbers in our class or the 41st ranking but for a school that really takes pride in recruiting they are not doing very well.

Recruiting rankings in July(especially during Covid19) Don't hold any weight with me at all. At the end of day we will be around 25-35 and so will they.

PGHBulldogBG
07-29-2020, 11:11 AM
Recruiting rankings in July(especially during Covid19) Don't hold any weight with me at all. At the end of day we will be around 25-35 and so will they.

Exactly, that is where I expect us both to land per the usual unless they are cheating

Homedawg
07-29-2020, 11:14 AM
Exactly, that is where I expect us both to land per the usual unless they are cheating

What do you mean, unless they are cheating?? Of course they are....

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-29-2020, 02:13 PM
What do you mean, unless they are cheating?? Of course they are....

So if they finish say 19th and we finish 35th...they're cheating, if we finish 19th and they finish 35th all is right in the world?

This was OM cheating: https://247sports.com/college/ole-miss/Season/2013-Football/Commits/

MedDawg
07-29-2020, 08:26 PM
So if they finish say 19th and we finish 35th...they're cheating, if we finish 19th and they finish 35th all is right in the world?

This was OM cheating: https://247sports.com/college/ole-miss/Season/2013-Football/Commits/

Wow, there were a lot of way overrated recruits in that list. And a few underrated. A reranking of that class wouldn't be Top 20.

msu15
07-29-2020, 10:33 PM
Wow, there were a lot of way overrated recruits in that list. And a few underrated. A reranking of that class wouldn't be Top 20.

Buchanan being a 4 star and Cord Sandberg being a 3 star was the biggest joke ever.

SPMT
07-29-2020, 10:56 PM
I suppose the point was doing that in July. I think it happend at Maryland, but the University of Maryland (located inside the Beltway), is just as hot and humid as Mississippi is in July.

In fact, the average temp for July this year at Washington/National has been 84.0 with 25 of 28 days above 90. In Huntsville, the average has been 81.2 (a degree or so above normal). Huntsville should be pretty near the average for most of north Mississippi.

Dude i flip tires in July and carry implements that amount to a log and I'm in my 50's.

There are other factors when someone dies during sport workouts. It's extremely rare. Now, if they didn't allow hydration, that's another factor. Tomorrow some military selection programs will use log carries, tire flips, implement carries, etc. in much tougher conditions and with much less rest/food than college football programs. Trainees rarely die from physical exertion, as in not many over a 10 year time period. I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Homedawg
07-30-2020, 10:32 AM

No, what i mean is they always have and always will cheat. Just a fact.

Jack Lambert
07-30-2020, 10:44 AM

If signing day was in Feb I would agree but it's in December. By this time you should be in top 50 if you are going to end up being top 30. I don't think Kiffin got it. It's going to take the Network to get them to top 30. As said Miss is high school is down this season. I will be surprised if we finish top 30. The needle is not moving at all at this point and it should be.

Offshore Dawg
07-30-2020, 11:52 AM
This board badly needs some live sports to discuss

C222
07-30-2020, 08:25 PM
No one is going to mention AJ Brown?s comments on Barstool saying he got a bag of cash before signing day?

Todd4State
07-31-2020, 12:35 AM
No one is going to mention AJ Brown?s comments on Barstool saying he got a bag of cash before signing day?

I bet nothing comes of it because Ole Miss sucked when he was there. Beat Alabama a couple of times and- then it would be different.

lastmajordog
08-02-2020, 05:45 AM
I think a lot of his reputation is because Coach O was on his staff. C-USA recruiting rankings are pretty hit or miss and probably fairly inaccurate because the vast majority of those players are all going to be three stars or worse.

If he keeps recruiting like this his ass will be gone before Arch Manning's class comes up.

Serious question, don’t you think OM will bring in a "special" Coach for new Manning like they did for Eli? Any thoughts or rumblings heard? I'm sure the network is already making plans.

Todd4State
08-02-2020, 02:23 PM
Serious question, don’t you think OM will bring in a "special" Coach for new Manning like they did for Eli? Any thoughts or rumblings heard? I'm sure the network is already making plans.

Absolutely. But I don't know who their David Cutcliffe would be at this point. Part of the hope of hiring Kiffin I'm sure was that he could recruit well enough to bring in a good cast around Manning. We'll see how that goes.

Bdawg
08-04-2020, 10:04 PM

Anybody got some video of this

vv83
08-05-2020, 08:25 AM

Post it