PDA

View Full Version : CNN going after racist Ole Miss name.

fishwater99
07-27-2020, 12:31 PM
Here we go!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/27/us/ole-miss-university-mississippi-name-controversy/index.html

Jack Lambert
07-27-2020, 12:41 PM
Hotty Toddy bitches.

Lord McBuckethead
07-27-2020, 12:43 PM
They shouldn't have called Oxford the Flagship campus. MSU is the bigger school, looks just as good, and has better tailgating areas.

viverlibre
07-27-2020, 12:45 PM
Here we go!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/27/us/ole-miss-university-mississippi-name-controversy/index.html

Dang, that was a thermo unclear bomb.

R2Dawg
07-27-2020, 12:45 PM
They shouldn't have called Oxford the Flagship campus. MSU is the bigger school, looks just as good, and has better tailgating areas.

Agree but when has truth and CNN ever been used in same sentence. Reason they said that is it makes the state of Mississippi look worse. Doesn't sound as bad if the flagship state school doesn't have racist stuff tied to it. Political narrative agenda stuff, nothing to see, move along.

msbulldog
07-27-2020, 12:49 PM
Hotty Toddy bitches.

HAHAHA HAIL STATE! +1

hopsondawg22
07-27-2020, 12:54 PM
That logical reasoning will be lost by some on here. They let their hatred of Mississippi cloud their thoughts.

Goldendawg
07-27-2020, 01:10 PM
Quote under picture of OM helmet held high in air by player, "Ole Miss has come to represent the school's strong sports programs and academics, the supporters say." These "supporters" also not up to date on UM FB.** Hail State!

Dolphus Raymond
07-27-2020, 01:21 PM
?Buy the ticket, take the ride.?
Hunter S. Thompson

Leeshouldveflanked
07-27-2020, 01:21 PM
Sad thing is CNN is not a news organization anymore

Dolphus Raymond
07-27-2020, 01:31 PM
Not a news organization?

Mobile Bay
07-27-2020, 01:35 PM
We need to send this out to every kid with an offer from them.

fishwater99
07-27-2020, 01:49 PM
We need to send this out to every kid with an offer from them.

Yep. we need some protest on campus now too. Get the Woke going.

NCDawg
07-27-2020, 02:19 PM
Sad thing is CNN is not a news organization anymore

Along with MSNBC and just about all of the MSM.

ScoobaDawg
07-27-2020, 02:52 PM
Now to make it get spread everywhere. I ask again.. never use that term anymore on this board.

Jack Lambert
07-27-2020, 02:58 PM
Now to make it get spread everywhere. I ask again.. never use that term anymore on this board.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-51mt2tIVw

msstatelp1
07-27-2020, 03:55 PM
Not a news organization?

None of the cable only "news" organizations ( to include Fox, CNN, MSNBC, etc) are classified as news networks. The FCC only regulates over the air channels as news.

Joebob
07-27-2020, 04:36 PM
Agree but when has truth and CNN ever been used in same sentence. Reason they said that is it makes the state of Mississippi look worse. Doesn't sound as bad if the flagship state school doesn't have racist stuff tied to it. Political narrative agenda stuff, nothing to see, move along.

I haven't known CNN to be untruthful, just biased (much the same as most news organizations, left and right). There's a difference.

BeastMan
07-27-2020, 04:38 PM
I feel like it needs to be noted that Coach34 is the first person I know of to bring this up. He linked the description on OM’s own website on sps back in the day and when it went message board “viral” they scrubbed it off. Was one of the first instances of 34 really getting OM’s goat and becoming polarizing.

ScoobaDawg
07-27-2020, 08:42 PM
I feel like it needs to be noted that Coach34 is the first person I know of to bring this up. He linked the description on OM’s own website on sps back in the day and when it went message board “viral” they scrubbed it off. Was one of the first instances of 34 really getting OM’s goat and becoming polarizing.

Excuse me.....you are wrong in who was the source and post about it first.

bostondawg
07-27-2020, 08:54 PM
The following things can be true at the same time:

(1) The phrase "Ole Miss" has a terrible, racist past and the people associated with that school should be completely ashamed of it. And CNN is right to point this out.

(2) Everybody laugh at those racist inbreds in Oxford. Humanity is moving forward, and it's gonna leave Ole Miss in the dust.

MaroonFlounder
07-27-2020, 08:58 PM
I'm not sure, other than scholarships and such, why young men and women of color enroll at u of m.

DownwardDawg
07-27-2020, 09:07 PM
It’s finally happening. Glorious

DownwardDawg
07-27-2020, 09:08 PM
I'm not sure, other than scholarships and such, why young men and women of color enroll at u of m.

It’s called slavery

DownwardDawg
07-27-2020, 09:10 PM
Double post

BeastMan
07-27-2020, 09:15 PM
Excuse me.....you are wrong in who was the source and post about it first.

Who I thought it was 34. I must have misremembered.

preachermatt83
07-27-2020, 09:52 PM
Who I thought it was 34. I must have misremembered.

You aren’t wrong. Scooba just has a really weird obsession with making sure no one likes C34. Coach lives more rent free in Scooba’s head that he does Ole Miss’s.

BeardoMSU
07-27-2020, 10:07 PM
Coach lives more rent free in Scooba’s head

Where do you live, 'doe?**

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DeafeningIncredibleFulmar-size_restricted.gif

ScoobaDawg
07-28-2020, 02:56 AM
You aren’t wrong. Scooba just has a really weird obsession with making sure no one likes C34. Coach lives more rent free in Scooba’s head that he does Ole Miss’s.

And you only come on here to try and discredit me, and take up for your true savior..once again you are wrong. Ask him where he got the original source. 34 wouldn't know what the heck the waybackmachine is..
Thanks for checking in on me though..

Todd4State
07-28-2020, 03:34 AM
It's going to be interesting to see what happens at Ole Miss. At some point they'll have to give up the name I'm sure and then they'll be something ridiculous like the Sharks.

I would be a little worried though if I were them because most of their fans fall into one of two categories:

1. Stuck up. These people will be Ole Miss fans no matter what.

2. Rednecks who like the Confederate stuff. If Ole Miss keeps sucking in football I wouldn't be surprised if they end up losing a lot of this fan segment. They'll probably lose some fans to Alabama, LSU, and maybe even us if we keep doing well. If that happens their football attendance could get even worse. They're in danger of becoming Vanderbilt without the prestige with all of the fans that they have from other states.

msbulldog
07-28-2020, 05:55 AM
Where the hell does CNN get off calling them the Flagship school and who the hell gave them that designation? The only thing they can lay credit to is the first school.

MSUDAWGFAN
07-28-2020, 07:05 AM
Where the hell does CNN get off calling them the Flagship school and who the hell gave them that designation? The only thing they can lay credit to is the first school.

I've never seen a school fan base so preoccupied with their image as Mississippi fans. To call themselves "The Flagship" is disingenuous at best. The courts have said that there are 3 flagship universities within the state. Those are MSU, Southern Miss, and Mississippi.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/505/717

From line 31:

"We next address Mississippi's scheme of institutional mission classification, and whether it perpetuates the State's formerly de jure dual system. The District Court found that, throughout the period of de jure segregation, University of Mississippi, Mississippi State University, and University of Southern Mississippi were the flagship institutions in the state system."

So whenever a Mississippi fan says they are "The Flagship" you can just laugh and tell them that MSU is too according to the Supreme Court of the United States.

StateDawg44
07-28-2020, 07:18 AM
I've never seen a school fan base so preoccupied with their image as Mississippi fans. To call themselves "The Flagship" is disingenuous at best. The courts have said that there are 3 flagship universities within the state. Those are MSU, Southern Miss, and Mississippi.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/505/717

From line 31:

"We next address Mississippi's scheme of institutional mission classification, and whether it perpetuates the State's formerly de jure dual system. The District Court found that, throughout the period of de jure segregation, University of Mississippi, Mississippi State University, and University of Southern Mississippi were the flagship institutions in the state system."

So whenever a Mississippi fan says they are "The Flagship" you can just laugh and tell them that MSU is too according to the Supreme Court of the United States.

Who honestly cares if they call themselves the flagship? To pretend like anyone outside of our two fanbases GAF is a waste of time. I just don't get why this is ever a talking point by our fans.

Would you feel better if MSU could claim that? It means absolutely nothing to anyone.

The fact that the topic was even touched on in the Supreme Court was a waste of time and tax payers money.

BrunswickDawg
07-28-2020, 07:32 AM
It's going to be interesting to see what happens at Ole Miss. At some point they'll have to give up the name I'm sure and then they'll be something ridiculous like the Sharks.

I would be a little worried though if I were them because most of their fans fall into one of two categories:

1. Stuck up. These people will be Ole Miss fans no matter what.

2. Rednecks who like the Confederate stuff. If Ole Miss keeps sucking in football I wouldn't be surprised if they end up losing a lot of this fan segment. They'll probably lose some fans to Alabama, LSU, and maybe even us if we keep doing well. If that happens their football attendance could get even worse. They're in danger of becoming Vanderbilt without the prestige with all of the fans that they have from other states.

3. Out of State Students who couldn't get into UGA/Texas/LSU, whose parents say things like "I love the smaller, Old South Feel, it's like Athens was in the 1950s and early 1960s". Those same kids are back home 12 to 18 month later, enrolling in the local 3rd tier school due to "the stress of being away from home" (better known to us as cocaine and Wild Turkey) and looking to transfer to UGA/Texas/LSU after a semester or 3.

Saltydog
07-28-2020, 07:33 AM
Haven't known CNN to be untruthful? Really? Just saw one example in the news recently. Nicholas Sandmann (the kid demonized by the liberal media for "allegedly" getting in the face of a native American at the Lincoln Memorial) just settled a $250MM lawsuit with the Washington Post. Up next, you guessed it, CNN. They will have to pay out big time as well because they absolutely lied and they know it. I could count many more but that's just the most recent example I thought about.

Edited: Apparently CNN has already settled for an "undisclosed amount" but the point remains the same...…...There are six more suits pending, including ABC, NBC and CBS as well...…...He's 18 with millions......

MSUDAWGFAN
07-28-2020, 07:40 AM
Who honestly cares if they call themselves the flagship? To pretend like anyone outside of our two fanbases GAF is a waste of time. I just don't get why this is ever a talking point by our fans.

Would you feel better if MSU could claim that? It means absolutely nothing to anyone.

The fact that the topic was even touched on in the Supreme Court was a waste of time and tax payers money.

Honestly, I don't GAF either. I just think them saying that is trying to pump themselves up like the pretentious douches they are.

Would you feel better if MSU could claim that? My point was that we can. We just never do. Because like you said, noone cares.

msbulldog
07-28-2020, 11:00 AM

Well there are other things I would like to see them called.

R2Dawg
07-28-2020, 11:03 AM
Along with MSNBC and just about all of the MSM.

Yep. NBC news the other night was just one long political commercial on one side. Regardless of your politics, just report the news. Tired of the propaganda and manipulation.

FISHDAWG
07-28-2020, 11:05 AM
Yep. NBC news the other night was just one long political commercial on one side. Regardless of your politics, just report the news. Tired of the propaganda and manipulation.

you have to go to the BBC if you want unbiased news

viverlibre
07-28-2020, 11:52 AM
3. Out of State Students who couldn't get into UGA/Texas/LSU, whose parents say things like "I love the smaller, Old South Feel, it's like Athens was in the 1950s and early 1960s". Those same kids are back home 12 to 18 month later, enrolling in the local 3rd tier school due to "the stress of being away from home" (better known to us as cocaine and Wild Turkey) and looking to transfer to UGA/Texas/LSU after a semester or 3.

UT is very hard to get into for a straight out of high school student. TAMU also has high standards, both of these schools have defined benchmarks a student needs to achieve, like ACT/SAT scores and GPA. UGA, on the other hand, is a little easier to get into, but doesn't rely on set benchmarks as much, volunteer work/extracurricular activities of prospective students, etc., plays a significant role.

BB30
07-28-2020, 02:32 PM
And you only come on here to try and discredit me, and take up for your true savior..once again you are wrong. Ask him where he got the original source. 34 wouldn't know what the heck the waybackmachine is..
Thanks for checking in on me though..

Are yall 12? who cares who the first "source" was to point something out? Not being negative towards you or anything and don't mean anything negative by my comment but does it really matter? It seems like yall go back and forth on stuff like this fairly regularly. Just curious as to why it matters who the first to bring something to light is?

RocketDawg
07-28-2020, 07:47 PM
UT is very hard to get into for a straight out of high school student. TAMU also has high standards, both of these schools have defined benchmarks a student needs to achieve, like ACT/SAT scores and GPA. UGA, on the other hand, is a little easier to get into, but doesn't rely on set benchmarks as much, volunteer work/extracurricular activities of prospective students, etc., plays a significant role.

Most of the upper tier schools have that requirement, perhaps as a discriminator. Of course, virtually all the applicants to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc., are going to be in the upper reaches of high school performance and SAT too.

LC Dawg
07-28-2020, 08:00 PM
I wish they'd be granted permission to bring back the flag, the colonel and Dixie with the understanding that they are officially not the University of Mississippi and can never refer to themselves as that.
And bring in a descendant of Jefferson Davis as president and a descendant of Ross Barnett as provost.

BeardoMSU
07-28-2020, 08:04 PM
I wish they'd be granted permission to bring back the flag, the colonel and Dixie with the understanding that they are officially not the University of Mississippi and can never refer to themselves as that.
And bring in a descendant of Jefferson Davis as president and a descendant of Ross Barnett as provost.

Hell, just let Lafayette Co. outright secede from the Union...again. Economically, they would probably compete with Haiti....shit, they could change their nickname from the "Harvard of the South" to the "Haiti of the North".**

bostondawg
07-28-2020, 08:17 PM
Hell, just let Lafayette Co. outright secede from the Union...again. Economically, they would probably compete with Haiti....shit, they could change their nickname from the "Harvard of the South" to the "Haiti of the North".**

Now THAT'S a plan for them. News article circa 2034:

"The small landlocked nation of Lafayette has had their application to the OECD denied for the second year in a row. Johnathan Beauregard Davis the Third, Grand President, had this to say on the rejection: 'Lafayette is a beautiful country of rolling mountain hills and exquisite deciduous forests topped by the crown jewel of academia--Ole Miss University. We do right implore the OECD to reconsider their decision.'"

Offshore Dawg
07-30-2020, 11:49 AM
Now THAT'S a plan for them. News article circa 2034:

"The small landlocked nation of Lafayette has had their application to the OECD denied for the second year in a row. Johnathan Beauregard Davis the Third, Grand President, had this to say on the rejection: 'Lafayette is a beautiful country of rolling mountain hills and exquisite deciduous forests topped by the crown jewel of academia--Ole Miss University. We do right implore the OECD to reconsider their decision.'"

You have got to be kidding, some dickhead said that. Talk about out of touch with reality.

FISHDAWG
07-30-2020, 12:02 PM
You have got to be kidding, some dickhead said that. Talk about out of touch with reality.

I'm pretty sure he was just being facetious ... it's hard to quote someone from the year 2034