PDA

View Full Version : Mlb was fun for a minute

msstate7
07-27-2020, 08:20 AM
12 marlins and 2 of their coaches have tested positive. Football was fun to dream about

KOdawg1
07-27-2020, 08:23 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see them just can the MLB season at this point.

We needed MLB to successfully get through this in order for football to happen, but it ain't looking good.

BrunswickDawg
07-27-2020, 08:25 AM
12 marlins and 2 of their coaches have tested positive. Football was fun to dream about

Meanwhile, the MLS bubble and the NBA bubble seem to be holding for now. MLB tried to keep everything too close to normal and their not going to be able to hold it together.

KOdawg1
07-27-2020, 08:27 AM
Meanwhile, the MLS bubble and the NBA bubble seem to be holding for now. MLB tried to keep everything too close to normal and their not going to be able to hold it together.

Yep. They should've put the players in a bubble and played the games at spring training sights.

RiverCityDawg
07-27-2020, 08:27 AM
Was there a thought that no one would test positive? Because that would be stupid.

NFL have structured their roster limitations, IR provisions, practice squad rules, etc around the knowledge that there will be positive tests.

I can't believe any league would go into this thinking there wouldn't be positives. I'm not waving the white flag on football just yet.

HoopsDawg
07-27-2020, 08:31 AM
I think they knew there would be positives. But this is a flat out outbreak after only 3 games. I'm sure the Phillies players are worried since they just played the Marlins.

msstate7
07-27-2020, 08:34 AM
30 man roster, 12 positives = 40% of team

msstate7
07-27-2020, 08:35 AM
I doubt mlb lasts a week

shoeless joe
07-27-2020, 08:38 AM

Don’t they have 60 players to draw from? Test everybody and get 25-30 out of the 60 and play ball. If everybody tests negative that will be at the ball park then let’s play ball...wishful thinking I know

MetEdDawg
07-27-2020, 08:46 AM
Yep. They should've put the players in a bubble and played the games at spring training sights.

I don't know why more people didn't say this. Why are we playing games at home stadiums with no fans? Keep everyone in their spring training bubble and you would have very few issues. Travel isn't nearly as bad either.

Didn't make sense to me that this wasn't an option discussed more for MLB.

msstate7
07-27-2020, 08:48 AM
I don't know why more people didn't say this. Why are we playing games at home stadiums with no fans? Keep everyone in their spring training bubble and you would have very few issues. Travel isn't nearly as bad either.

MLB proposed that or very similar. Players rejected it.

HoopsDawg
07-27-2020, 09:06 AM

blame the union.

Quaoarsking
07-27-2020, 09:17 AM
Probably not a league canceler. The Nationals kept playing after Soto tested positive. This was bound to happen, and surely will many more times. The key is constantly testing everyone and locking up any positives.

The Marlins are basically a AAA quality team anyway, so call up 12 replacements, test everyone, and keep going.

Jack Lambert
07-27-2020, 09:21 AM

Call some minor league guys test them and then put them on the field. it isn't rocket science.

msstate7
07-27-2020, 09:22 AM
Probably not a league canceler. The Nationals kept playing after Soto tested positive. This was bound to happen, and surely will many more times. The key is constantly testing everyone and locking up any positives.

The Marlins are basically a AAA quality team anyway, so call up 12 replacements, test everyone, and keep going.

They just played the phillies. Did they spread it to them or umps? Will Yankees wanna take the locker room in philly tonight?

Quaoarsking
07-27-2020, 09:25 AM
They just played the phillies. Did they spread it to them or umps? Will Yankees wanna take the locker room in philly tonight?

They should definitely get rid of locker rooms. And I wouldn't blame any player who opts out.

I'm just saying that MLB new something like this would likely happen and started the season anyway, so they can't get spooked now. Just roll with it and constantly test everyone.

msstate7
07-27-2020, 09:26 AM
They should definitely get rid of locker rooms. And I wouldn't blame any player who opts out.

I'm just saying that MLB new something like this would likely happen and started the season anyway, so they can't get spooked now. Just roll with it and constantly test everyone.

I hope they do. I'm just really worried about the season.

MaroonFlounder
07-27-2020, 09:35 AM
I doubt mlb lasts a week

What do they do about the stats from the few games that were played? Do they count?

The Braves all murdered the ball last night!

msstate7
07-27-2020, 09:37 AM
What do they do about the stats from the few games that were played? Do they count?

The Braves all murdered the ball last night!

Idk, but Riley's hr should count. That was an absolute blast

Quaoarsking
07-27-2020, 09:38 AM
I hope they do. I'm just really worried about the season.

I could easily be wrong, but I don't know what the point of having all these contingency plans would be if MLB was going to get spooked and pull the plug on everything 3 days in.

Cooterpoot
07-27-2020, 09:44 AM
It's Miami, what people expect? The place is covered with Covid.

msstate7
07-27-2020, 09:45 AM
It's Miami, what people expect? The place is covered with Covid.

They've been out of town a week. Not sure how often they're tested, but it seems they caught it elsewhere

Dawgology
07-27-2020, 09:53 AM

All I'm seeing is a team with 40% of the roster that is resistant to the virus in a couple weeks. Advantage Marlins down the line.

msstate7
07-27-2020, 09:54 AM
Phillies-yankees canceled

msstate7
07-27-2020, 09:55 AM
All I'm seeing is a team with 40% of the roster that is resistant to the virus in a couple weeks. Advantage Marlins down the line.

Season is essentially 2 months. They may be without up to 40% of their teams for 25-50% of season.

Quaoarsking
07-27-2020, 09:56 AM

StarkVegasSteve
07-27-2020, 10:08 AM
With not going into a bubble you have to believe that baseball knew this type of thing was a possibility. Maybe not to that large of an extent, but there's going to be positive cases. It is what it is. I don't think that's a reason to cancel the season.

shoeless joe
07-27-2020, 10:12 AM
The teams that have players committed to following protocols will be the most likely to be successful in this type of year. The problem is the fact that these young rich physical specimens don’t always think about themselves having a health issue. Just look at the Lou Williams situation with the nba. The discipline of every player to do their part will be huge.

As far as this situation the games should be easy to make up...bigger rosters so a doubleheader shouldn’t be as big an issue. Also, these teams will all meet up several more times. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Phillies travel to New York and start their series tomorrow.

Cooterpoot
07-27-2020, 11:08 AM
They've been out of town a week. Not sure how often they're tested, but it seems they caught it elsewhere

Takes that long to show in a lot of cases. And they knew they had an issue and played anyway.

HoopsDawg
07-27-2020, 11:16 AM
Takes that long to show in a lot of cases. And they knew they had an issue and played anyway.

MLB needs to stop testing players. Just hold out players who have symptoms.

dantheman4248
07-27-2020, 11:59 AM
MLB was fun for 17 2/3 innings. Been all downhill since.

Take the year off. Get the Wilpons out. Get Thor healthy. Try again in 2021.

R2Dawg
07-27-2020, 12:43 PM

I say give the new vaccines to the players. We'll know real quick which ones work and which ones don't. Would cut the clinical trials down on time. Then we can get the right one and go back to normal by Christmas.

Cooterpoot
07-27-2020, 12:43 PM
Unless this becomes the norm for baseball, & it's canceled, it's simply showing football they'll need a plan for these kind of outbreaks. But football won't be tested as much as MLB.

Lord McBuckethead
07-27-2020, 12:45 PM

a week isn't long enough. If they were out of town for 3 weeks then it would be safe to say they didn't catch it in Miami. either way, we all expected the MLB in particular to contract and spread the Vid. They refused to put these guys in a bubble. Total separation should have been the goal.

Lord McBuckethead
07-27-2020, 12:45 PM
Unless this becomes the norm for baseball, & it's canceled, it's simply showing football they'll need a plan for these kind of outbreaks. But football won't be tested as much as MLB.

Football needs to be tested every single week. Just a fact in the nature of the competition.

msstate7
07-27-2020, 12:46 PM
a week isn't long enough. If they were out of town for 3 weeks then it would be safe to say they didn't catch it in Miami. either way, we all expected the MLB in particular to contract and spread the Vid. They refused to put these guys in a bubble. Total separation should have been the goal.

Who refused? Mlb owners proposed just that, and the players rejected it

msstate7
07-27-2020, 01:23 PM
Scott Miller
@ScottMillerBbl

Am told that on owners' call today there was no talk of canceling the season.

#Marlins news is sobering for the game but plan remains to try & manage pandemic

BiscuitEater
07-27-2020, 02:03 PM
I doubt mlb lasts a week

Nope, MLB will last through the week. Too much $$ riding on continuing the 'season.'

StarkVegasSteve
07-27-2020, 02:04 PM

I really believed that to be an impossible goal. So far NBA is proving me wrong on that, well kind of since players are leaving the bubble left and right. Baseball would be literally impossible to form a bubble honestly. In the NBA, it's 22 teams with 10-12 players and 15-20 coaches, support staff, etc. MLB would be 30 teams with 60 players each because you would want all players in your pool at the bubble, along with 15-20 coaches, support staff, etc. The logistics alone behind that would be an utter nightmare. MLB may have not handled it perfectly, but there was no perfect way to handle the situation they were put in.

Percho
07-27-2020, 02:26 PM

Are any of them sick?

msstate7
07-27-2020, 02:29 PM
Are any of them sick?

I'm not sure.

Jack Lambert
07-27-2020, 03:07 PM

The NFL is going to have to expand the roster for this season and keep the extra isolated as possible as reserves. They are going to have out breaks.

Quaoarsking
07-27-2020, 03:14 PM
Several games have started today.

Honestly, the entire Marlins team should be suspended for 2 weeks for playing when they knew they'd been exposed and not telling anyone. Time to send a signal to the other 29 teams that that's not OK. The Marlins can get some use out of their minor leaguers in the meantime.

Todd4State
07-27-2020, 03:32 PM
Are any of them sick?

All asymptomatic.

Joebob
07-27-2020, 04:43 PM
Are any of them sick?

Haven't heard of any of the Marlins being sick. I did read that Eduardo Rodriguez of the Red Sox has inflammation of the heart though.

RocketDawg
07-27-2020, 04:58 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see them just can the MLB season at this point.

We needed MLB to successfully get through this in order for football to happen, but it ain't looking good.

True. If baseball can't pull it off, then football certainly can't. There's much, much more close contact in football.

RocketDawg
07-27-2020, 05:07 PM
Several games have started today.

Honestly, the entire Marlins team should be suspended for 2 weeks for playing when they knew they'd been exposed and not telling anyone. Time to send a signal to the other 29 teams that that's not OK. The Marlins can get some use out of their minor leaguers in the meantime.

Did they know they'd been exposed? Where was the exposure?

HoopsDawg
07-27-2020, 05:35 PM
Are any of them sick?

No. They are fine.

Leeshouldveflanked
07-27-2020, 05:40 PM
The CDC says that probably the number of people that have Covid is 10x what has tested positive....so that means Mississippi probably has over 200K people with the Covid Virus right that have no symptoms.

Quaoarsking
07-27-2020, 05:46 PM
Did they know they'd been exposed? Where was the exposure?

According to an article I read, yes, an active player on the Marlins had a positive test, the team knew they'd been exposed, decided as a group to play anyway, and then more players tested positive after the game.

HoopsDawg
07-27-2020, 05:48 PM
The CDC says that probably the number of people that have Covid is 10x what has tested positive....so that means Mississippi probably has over 200K people with the Covid Virus right that have no symptoms.

That's great news.

DownwardDawg
07-27-2020, 07:27 PM
Nm

dantheman4248
07-27-2020, 09:52 PM
Hunter Renfroe doing the dawgs proud and going yard tonight twice. Back to 2-2 each.

Also lmao at this being the first time the Marlins ever had any share of the division lead after June. Absolutely insane statistic.

msstate7
07-27-2020, 09:58 PM
Hunter Renfroe doing the dawgs proud and going yard tonight twice. Back to 2-2 each.

Also lmao at this being the first time the Marlins ever had any share of the division lead after June. Absolutely insane statistic.

Not a share... they lead.

Braves just DFA'd folty

Commercecomet24
07-27-2020, 10:09 PM

Braves just DFA'd folty

His stuff is gone. He's either hurt(he says he's not) or his arm is dead. Hes awfully young for a huge drop in velo like this but it does happen where it will just leave you. I think he's got an injury he's not disclosing though. He's been terrible since that last playoff game last year.

KOdawg1
07-27-2020, 10:30 PM
His stuff is gone. He's either hurt(he says he's not) or his arm is dead. Hes awfully young for a huge drop in velo like this but it does happen where it will just leave you. I think he's got an injury he's not disclosing though. He's been terrible since that last playoff game last year.

Or he's on drugs or something. He looked sick.

The Braves' rotation is scary (and not in a good way) once you get past Soroka and Fried.

dantheman4248
07-27-2020, 10:33 PM

Braves just DFA'd folty

I mean but still even after their victory friday it was the first time ever. That stat sounds crazy to me that a team with two world series has never lead their division after June. Yea they outright lead it today, still uncharted territory where they have never had even a share this late.

2020 is getting weird

Commercecomet24
07-27-2020, 10:34 PM
Or he's on drugs or something. He looked sick.

The Braves' rotation is scary (and not in a good way) once you get past Soroka and Fried.

Yeah somethings up with him.

Hoped the Braves rotation would be a strength this year but with Hamels hurt and folty apparently washed up it ain't looking good.

coastratdog
07-28-2020, 07:16 AM
Call some minor league guys test them and then put them on the field. it isn't rocket science.

MLB has a bunch of players to bring in. Plus many players can play multiple positions. Now if they run out of pitchers, well that'll hurt the game.

As far as the bubble thing MLB teams have at lest three times the people to house, feed, transport and keep up with. Plus between spring training and what could be a three month season, that's a long time to be away from the family.

StarkVegasSteve
07-28-2020, 08:00 AM
Yeah somethings up with him.

Hoped the Braves rotation would be a strength this year but with Hamels hurt and folty apparently washed up it ain't looking good.

Folty looks like something is bad wrong with him. Saw pictures comparing his last start in the playoffs to the start yesterday and it was scary. Guy doesn't look good at all. Looks like he's lost a ton of weight

Ari Gold
07-28-2020, 08:17 AM
This is a great example of why everyone in the media needs to chill the **** out...
yes this was a big deal, and yes it was expected to have positive results throughout the season. But it seems to have been handled rather well .. baseball is a slippery slope with all the travel and players.
Let’s just make the adjustments when this happens.. if everyone would pull together about this instead of trying to blame everyone it would be a much better situation
Let’s try some positivity instead of all negativity.. I know that’s a lot to ask from some..

And yes pro and college athletes if you want to play then you also have to do your part.. staying away from strip clubs and strange ass would be a start..

Commercecomet24
07-28-2020, 08:47 AM
This is a great example of why everyone in the media needs to chill the **** out...
yes this was a big deal, and yes it was expected to have positive results throughout the season. But it seems to have been handled rather well .. baseball is a slippery slope with all the travel and players.
Let’s just make the adjustments when this happens.. if everyone would pull together about this instead of trying to blame everyone it would be a much better situation
Let’s try some positivity instead of all negativity.. I know that’s a lot to ask from some..

And yes pro and college athletes if you want to play then you also have to do your part.. staying away from strip clubs and strange ass would be a start..

This!

shoeless joe
07-28-2020, 09:47 AM

Braves just DFA'd folty

He?s a head case. He has the mindset of a high school pitcher that was a studd in little league so he never had to work and now everybody has caught up and passed him, but instead of workin to get better he thinks the world is against him.

He needs a change of scenery but until he can control his emotions he won?t be consistent. The Braves would never have been able to depend on him when it counts. Good for them for pulling the plug.

msstate7
07-28-2020, 10:15 AM
4 more marlins tested positive

Homedawg
07-28-2020, 10:21 AM
4 more marlins tested positive

None from philly yet.

Todd4State
07-28-2020, 10:24 AM

The problem is the media doesn't want solutions. Just a bunch of whiny crybabies who think they are experts on every subject.

Todd4State
07-28-2020, 10:25 AM
He?s a head case. He has the mindset of a high school pitcher that was a studd in little league so he never had to work and now everybody has caught up and passed him, but instead of workin to get better he thinks the world is against him.

He needs a change of scenery but until he can control his emotions he won?t be consistent. The Braves would never have been able to depend on him when it counts. Good for them for pulling the plug.

I think he has Steve Blass disease.

msstate7
07-28-2020, 10:46 AM
None from philly yet.

That's huge. Can't have multiple teams at once if we want this to continue.

msstate7
07-28-2020, 11:48 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/65pvn1zy/352-B7-E96-923-C-49-F4-8-DBF-477-F15866905.jpg (https://postimg.cc/rz7sLjBk)

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1288147029437435907?s=21

shoeless joe
07-28-2020, 01:03 PM
Ben bracewell added to Athletics 60 man

Quaoarsking
07-28-2020, 01:14 PM
I think they're going to have to quarantine the entire Marlins team for 2 weeks.

In the meantime, they can fill up with AAA players and free agents/recent retirees. Bartolo Colon, Hanley Ramirez, Brian McCann? What's Ichiro up to?

Turfdawg67
07-28-2020, 01:29 PM
The problem is the media doesn't want solutions. Just a bunch of whiny crybabies who think they are experts on every subject.

Or they are just reporting the news.

KOdawg1
07-28-2020, 01:50 PM

Some do. Some don't.

Commercecomet24
07-28-2020, 02:16 PM
I think they're going to have to quarantine the entire Marlins team for 2 weeks.

In the meantime, they can fill up with AAA players and free agents/recent retirees. Bartolo Colon, Hanley Ramirez, Brian McCann? What's Ichiro up to?

I got an inning or 2 left in me. Won't cost em much.

Really Clark?
07-28-2020, 02:31 PM

Ha! I can go 3 batters as well!!

Gutter Cobreh
07-28-2020, 02:32 PM

If they would stop testing the players, then the virus wouldn't be in the league. Problem solved.

Lots of doubleheaders potentially on the horizon...

Quit lying, just like the rest of us - you have a third of an inning tops!

Homedawg
07-28-2020, 02:33 PM
If they would stop testing the players, then the virus wouldn't be in the league. Problem solved.

no dh, that was part of the league's plan. Why? hell if I know.

Commercecomet24
07-28-2020, 02:36 PM

Might not even have a third cause that means I'd have gotten at least one hitter out!!!

Todd4State
07-28-2020, 03:07 PM

Jumping up and down and saying "Well, baseball is over" when this is first reported on their Twitter feed isn't "just reporting the news".

Ari Gold
07-28-2020, 03:41 PM
Jumping up and down and saying "Well, baseball is over" when this is first reported on their Twitter feed isn't "just reporting the news".

Exactly ... and I’m going to predict not 1 of the Marlins that tested positive will actually miss time because he is actually sick...

Todd4State
07-28-2020, 04:03 PM
Exactly ... and I’m going to predict not 1 of the Marlins that tested positive will actually miss time because he is actually sick...

Professional athletes have to be in one of the most low risk groups to die or be hospitalized with COVID. Most of them have spouses and children and are self contained with them per MLB protocols- also low risk groups.

Turfdawg67
07-28-2020, 04:41 PM

Who? So you're picking one person and collectively grouping them together? How bout this, unfollow them.

Turfdawg67
07-28-2020, 04:43 PM
Exactly ... and I?m going to predict not 1 of the Marlins that tested positive will actually miss time because he is actually sick...

Ha! "Exactly"... he spoke of one person, on Twitter even, but the evil "media" needs to chill the 17 out. Why don't you just chill the 17 out?!? Novel idea.

Todd4State
07-28-2020, 04:47 PM
Who? So you're picking one person and collectively grouping them together? How bout this, unfollow them.

One? Wolken, Thamel, Rovell, etc.

How about they actually do their damn job that they're already shitty at and report the news?

Ari Gold
07-28-2020, 04:55 PM
Ha! "Exactly"... he spoke of one person, on Twitter even, but the evil "media" needs to chill the 17 out. Why don't you just chill the 17 out?!? Novel idea.

Perfect example... some hack during the Biden question / answer said the Marlins have canceled their season..
Which is Totally false ...
if you can’t see that the majority of sports media or just regular media would love for sports to be canceled for a few more months then oh well...

Again why not be positive ... it’s easy to find negativity.. find some positives.. one team has an issue right now.. the other 29 are In Good shape ..
NHL I think had ZERO positive tests..
that’s big time news..

dantheman4248
07-28-2020, 07:43 PM
no dh, that was part of the league's plan. Why? hell if I know.

Why plan doubleheaders when you KNOW there will be an outbreak? They will alter the schedule. Yankees / Orioles already have moved games up due to the Phillies / Marlins moving games. MLB will need flexibility for this and they accounted for it.

dantheman4248
07-28-2020, 07:45 PM
Perfect example... some hack during the Biden question / answer said the Marlins have canceled their season..
Which is Totally false ...
if you can’t see that the majority of sports media or just regular media would love for sports to be canceled for a few more months then oh well...

Again why not be positive ... it’s easy to find negativity.. find some positives.. one team has an issue right now.. the other 29 are In Good shape ..
NHL I think had ZERO positive tests..
that’s big time news..

How did you say those two statements back to back when you are so clearly only negative about media. It's absolutely stupid to think the sports media wants sports cancelled. That's their livelihood. Man get a grip... you want so badly the media to be the villain here when most of them just report the news. Sorry there are turds that report incorrectly. There's a reason why they don't make it higher in the biz.

Homedawg
07-28-2020, 07:46 PM
Why plan doubleheaders when you KNOW there will be an outbreak? They will alter the schedule. Yankees / Orioles already have moved games up due to the Phillies / Marlins moving games. MLB will need flexibility for this and they accounted for it.

If you can comprehend, they said there would not be any double headers! Not that they wouldn't schedule them in advance. Will they change? I don't know. But that's not part of the original plan. Thanks for the insightful post though

dantheman4248
07-28-2020, 07:57 PM
If you can comprehend, they said there would not be any double headers! Not that they wouldn't schedule them in advance. Will they change? I don't know. But that's not part of the original plan. Thanks for the insightful post though

I don't see where they said none whatsoever with no possibility of flexibility. Just that they scheduled none and that 7-inning double headers are not in the plan.

I can't imagine us getting through all 900 games without at least 1 double header.

Homedawg
07-28-2020, 08:35 PM
I don't see where they said none whatsoever with no possibility of flexibility. Just that they scheduled none and that 7-inning double headers are not in the plan.

I can't imagine us getting through all 900 games without at least 1 double header.

They said, Bc of safety reasons they wouldn't. Now, that makes no sense but that's what was said. If you can find it, I really don't care.

Todd4State
07-28-2020, 09:59 PM
Enjoying me some baseball tonight. Other than Carlos Martinez's meltdown.

shoeless joe
07-28-2020, 10:28 PM
Pretty sure the white Sox and Indians played a double dip today

Homedawg
07-28-2020, 10:48 PM
Pretty sure the white Sox and Indians played a double dip today

Yep it happened. I was looking the June 20'aricle before they agreed to play. I stand corrected. I'll admit it

shoeless joe
07-29-2020, 05:53 PM
I can’t listen to Tom verducci do color on a game. He’s awful. Him and the Sunday nite woman are in a tight race for worst.

Commercecomet24
07-29-2020, 06:10 PM
Yep it happened. I was looking the June 20'aricle before they agreed to play. I stand corrected. I'll admit it

You're slipping dude, lol!

dantheman4248
07-29-2020, 06:54 PM
Suspending Joe Kelly 8 games is a joke. Don't like being taunted? Don't strike. You're paid millions of dollars, shouldn't get your feelings hurt. Houston Cheatin' Snowflakes.

Turfdawg67
07-29-2020, 07:38 PM
You're slipping dude!

Yeah, all I heard was his track record, must of been before 2016... lol

Turfdawg67
07-29-2020, 07:41 PM
Agreed... was it the two head throws or the "Nice swing bitch" comment?

msstate7
07-31-2020, 09:11 AM
Cardinals brewers canceled today due to positive covid. I don't see how the season can continue with all the cancellations

HoopsDawg
07-31-2020, 09:16 AM
Cardinals brewers canceled today due to positive covid. I don't see how the season can continue with all the cancellations

cancelled game b/c of 1 positive test? That doesn't seem like a strategy that's going to work.

Gutter Cobreh
07-31-2020, 09:54 AM
cancelled game b/c of 1 positive test? That doesn't seem like a strategy that's going to work.

Reported that 4 people within the Cardinals tested positive.

Current impact of positive tests:

Phillies & Marlins - 7 games postponed; Yankees & Orioles - 4 games postponed; Blue Jays & Nationals - 3 games postponed; and now Cardinals & Brewers - 1 game postponed.

They need to figure this out and soon. You keep piling on the postponements and ultimately there won't be a season.

Lastly - if you haven't already done so - PLEASE stop following Wolken on Twitter. That guy is insufferable and your life will be better without his input.

BB30
07-31-2020, 10:58 AM
How did you say those two statements back to back when you are so clearly only negative about media. It's absolutely stupid to think the sports media wants sports cancelled. That's their livelihood. Man get a grip... you want so badly the media to be the villain here when most of them just report the news. Sorry there are turds that report incorrectly. There's a reason why they don't make it higher in the biz.

Man, I rarely agree with you, but I can usually see where and why you hold the opinions that you do. This one though... The media on both sides aren't that great and I have seen you dog Fox News for poor or "fake" reporting. Do you think it is solely a Fox news thing? Ha.

It does seem as though a lot of the media doesn't want sports to happen for some reason. 99% of the guys playing sports have a better chance of dying on the way to the ball park/field or even being struck by lightening during a rain delay before dying from COVID. There is no reason to have an alarmist attitude when it comes to professional athletes playing in an empty stadium.

It also isn't a stretch to say that some that report in the media will stretch the truth intentionally. So yes, it could be a simple mistake that the reporter made but it also could be a stretch of the truth as well, we don't know.

shoeless joe
07-31-2020, 02:22 PM

As long as they can play Saturday and Sunday with the double header Sunday then they?ll be right back on track. The fact that the teams play each other multiple times and now the 7 inning double header rule I think it can be done. But they needa have faster testing it appears.

Homedawg
07-31-2020, 04:36 PM
Reported that 4 people within the Cardinals tested positive.

Current impact of positive tests:

Phillies & Marlins - 7 games postponed; Yankees & Orioles - 4 games postponed; Blue Jays & Nationals - 3 games postponed; and now Cardinals & Brewers - 1 game postponed.

They need to figure this out and soon. You keep piling on the postponements and ultimately there won't be a season.

Lastly - if you haven't already done so - PLEASE stop following Wolken on Twitter. That guy is insufferable and your life will be better without his input.

again, baseball won't finish and college football can't happen either w the way everyone is doing quarantines. Most if not all, of the MLB positives are from asymptomatic players. Same thing is going to happen w CFB. we might, might play a game or two. but no chance we play 10. But it won't be any different next year. May have a vaccine, but people will still get it.

msstate7
07-31-2020, 05:06 PM
Sources: MLB commissioner warns of shutdown if coronavirus isn't better managed

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29572885/sources-mlb-commissioner-warns-shutdown-players-do-better-job-managing-coronavirus

dantheman4248
07-31-2020, 06:03 PM
Man, I rarely agree with you, but I can usually see where and why you hold the opinions that you do. This one though... The media on both sides aren't that great and I have seen you dog Fox News for poor or "fake" reporting. Do you think it is solely a Fox news thing? Ha.

It does seem as though a lot of the media doesn't want sports to happen for some reason. 99% of the guys playing sports have a better chance of dying on the way to the ball park/field or even being struck by lightening during a rain delay before dying from COVID. There is no reason to have an alarmist attitude when it comes to professional athletes playing in an empty stadium.

It also isn't a stretch to say that some that report in the media will stretch the truth intentionally. So yes, it could be a simple mistake that the reporter made but it also could be a stretch of the truth as well, we don't know.

I should have been clearer that I was talking solely about sports media.

Sports media actively rooting against sports makes no sense. News media actively rooting against news follows the same logic though and explains a lot, sadly. CNN is bleh, Fox News is bad, and there are plenty worse (on both sides.)

But I meant to talk sports media there.

Captain Falcon
07-31-2020, 08:47 PM
I should have been clearer that I was talking solely about sports media.

Sports media actively rooting against sports makes no sense. News media actively rooting against news follows the same logic though and explains a lot, sadly. CNN is bleh, Fox News is bad, and there are plenty worse (on both sides.)

But I meant to talk sports media there.

To me it’s not that the sports media is rooting for no sports, it’s that so many of them are being smug a-holes and rushing to say “SEE I TOLD YOU! LOOK AT ME I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG!” when something bad happens that is COVID related. And it often seems like people who are optimistic get mocked for it.

Maybe we can have football soon, maybe we can’t, but I personally don’t care to have my Twitter timeline filled with sports media personalities stroking their own egos every time they get a prediction about COVID right as if they correctly predicted the score of a game.

Cowbell
07-31-2020, 09:26 PM
again, baseball won't finish and college football can't happen either w the way everyone is doing quarantines. Most if not all, of the MLB positives are from asymptomatic players. Same thing is going to happen w CFB. we might, might play a game or two. but no chance we play 10. But it won't be any different next year. May have a vaccine, but people will still get it.

The only way to play sports is to quit testing and only diagnose and quarantine those that actually have serious symptoms. The tests themselves are a joke.

msstate7
07-31-2020, 09:35 PM
The only way to play sports is to quit testing and only diagnose and quarantine those that actually have serious symptoms. The tests themselves are a joke.

I sorta agree; but if you just let it run rampant, it'll probably eventually get someone that's vulnerable.

HoopsDawg
07-31-2020, 11:55 PM
I sorta agree; but if you just let it run rampant, it'll probably eventually get someone that's vulnerable.

Let it run rampant? It already is.

msstate7
08-01-2020, 07:00 AM
Let it run rampant? It already is.

Overall yeah, but I'm talking about in sports leagues. If testing hadn't caught the 2 cardinals, it may have been the whole team (coaches included) in a week or 2. Then their opponents start getting it. Then a manager or older coach ends up dying, and so long sports for a long time.

Homedawg
08-01-2020, 09:01 AM

That's what's happened anyway right??

Homedawg
08-01-2020, 09:01 AM
Overall yeah, but I'm talking about in sports leagues. If testing hadn't caught the 2 cardinals, it may have been the whole team (coaches included) in a week or 2. Then their opponents start getting it. Then a manager or older coach ends up dying, and so long sports for a long time.

Maybe true. But as it stands right now, it's so long sports for a long time.

msstate7
08-01-2020, 09:17 AM
Maybe true. But as it stands right now, it's so long sports for a long time.

I know you're right, but I'm dreaming that somehow we get a season of baseball and few werks of football.

Leeshouldveflanked
08-01-2020, 11:03 AM
Isn?t it like 20 of 1200+ test have come back positive with none of them having symptoms?