PDA

View Full Version : Southern Tailgating

Madisonmd
07-24-2020, 07:41 PM
Do not know how many people deal with this bunch at MSU? They are allowed to be the ONLY game on campus and consequently can charge whatever they choose. They just sent out an email stating you can let them keep your money for this season and use it next season at no additional charge or if you ask for a refund, they are guaranteeing a more expensive option next year to make up their deficit. WTH!! Why are they the only game? Reeks of under the table deals. Competition is the only way to ensure market fairness or is this CHina? You ask about this with the athletic department and all you hear is crickets. Just very frustrating!! Ive talked to others who are equally frustrated and am looking for ideas to change a bad situation. Sorry for rant!

Mobile Bay
07-24-2020, 08:04 PM
You must not be familiar with Aramark.

You are still fully free to set up your own tent and cook your own food.

Rich people problems.

Madisonmd
07-24-2020, 08:38 PM
Actually, we cook our own food but you cant set your tent up just anywhere because the school only allows Southern the best sites.

RocketDawg
07-24-2020, 08:52 PM
I agree - it's a bit strange. It's been that way for a few years, hasn't it? Do they have to pay the school for the privilege?

Homedawg
07-24-2020, 08:53 PM
Actually, we cook our own food but you cant set your tent up just anywhere because the school only allows Southern the best sites.

Not true. Junction is the best spot. By Barnes and noble is second best, imo. They have neither of those.... but you are entitled to tell people whatever you wish.

Jack Lambert
07-24-2020, 10:42 PM
to be fair the ticket office is giving credit for next season and I fully expect the price of tickets to go up next season.

HRTFXR
07-24-2020, 10:45 PM
I can’t stand the black tents they put up. Wish the university would make them use maroon or white. They are a real eyesore (and collect/trap heat)

PKADogs55
07-24-2020, 11:19 PM
It's a fraternity brother of mine, but as someone said ... set up your own shit, cook, and tailgate the way you want. BTW the owner is a professor on campus ZB @@KA

Maroonthirteen
07-25-2020, 08:05 AM
Good grief man. I looked at their website once..... and fell out my chair laughing at the price to set up a tent.

Hell for most of the games last year, you can set up a tent most anywhere in the junction. Sparse crowd. Even the egg bowl.

Buddy
07-25-2020, 08:08 AM
Has tailgating been officially canceled for this season?

Rawdawg
07-25-2020, 08:41 AM
You must not be either, Aramark is no longer the concessionaire for MSU athletics.

Maroonthirteen
07-25-2020, 08:52 AM
You must not be either, Aramark is no longer the concessionaire for MSU athletics.

Thank God.

So, who will run concessions now?

Rawdawg
07-25-2020, 09:08 AM
Proof of the pudding from Atlanta

Jarius
07-25-2020, 09:45 AM
I used the money I was spending on their tailgate services to upgrade seats to premium level. Just tailgate in the stadium 3 hours prior to the game and you have food, tv, booze, and AC set up for you inside the stadium.

Political Hack
07-25-2020, 10:27 AM
They've given them preference for years and an exclusive contract without real, open competitive bidding. It's extremely shady. The fact that they won't allow other providers the opportunity is sad. That outfit has wires running everywhere, tied to trees and light posts, etc... it's an OSHA wet dream. I've never understood it. I think Tailgate Guys sucks too, but at least their stuff is nice and well kept. They just don't have many bells and whistles with their military style pop up tents.

Political Hack
07-25-2020, 10:27 AM
Proof of the pudding from Atlanta

They are the best in the SEC.

HoopsDawg
07-25-2020, 01:49 PM
To the originial poster, I agree, it's complete horseshit. I don't know what we can do about it other than email the athletic department and demand other options.

Dawgbite
07-25-2020, 02:25 PM
Has tailgating been officially canceled for this season?
Not officially but I heard from someone pretty knowledgeable in the ticket office that tents will not be allowed on campus this season, no gathering in the Junction. What you do in the parking lot out of your personal vehicle, they have no control over.

Buddy
07-25-2020, 02:55 PM
Not officially but I heard from someone pretty knowledgeable in the ticket office that tents will not be allowed on campus this season, no gathering in the Junction. What you do in the parking lot out of your personal vehicle, they have no control over.

This may explain why there are plans to socially distance cars in the Bulldog Club parking lots this season. That made no sense to me when I heard it but it makes a little more sense if tailgating this year will be done out of the trunks of cars.

BrunswickDawg
07-25-2020, 03:02 PM
This may explain why there are plans to socially distance cars in the Bulldog Club parking lots this season. That made no sense to me when I heard it but it makes a little more sense if tailgating this year will be done out of the trunks of cars.

You mean it will be like the good old days, when people didn't set up elaborate shit they don't need, and RV's had spots in Malfunction Junction, and if you were lucky you could catch Jerry Clower holding court around the RVs on Friday nights.

lastmajordog
07-25-2020, 06:22 PM
del

MafiaDawg
07-25-2020, 08:28 PM
It?s an total travesty what the university has allowed southern tradition to do to the tailgating scene on campus. It looks like complete crap with their black trash bag tents. they?ve gone corporate. Screw them.

starkvegasdawg
07-25-2020, 10:21 PM
It?s an total travesty what the university has allowed southern tradition to do to the tailgating scene on campus. It looks like complete crap with their black trash bag tents. they?ve gone corporate. Screw them.

Weather nerd movie reference:

Went out and got himself some corporate sponsors. They're in it for the money not the tailgate.

jmac
07-26-2020, 02:49 PM
You must not be familiar with Aramark.

You are still fully free to set up your own tent and cook your own food.

Rich people problems.

Can you just either answer his question or stay out of the conversation? Do you know how many years of school and money it took for him to be a MD? You could have done the same thing, but I guess you didn't. Same as him, I want my tent set up so I can enjoy tailgating without feeling like it is a chore. Yes, I can afford it as well, but I still do not want to feel like it is unfair.

BB30
07-27-2020, 11:51 AM
Good grief man. I looked at their website once..... and fell out my chair laughing at the price to set up a tent.

Hell for most of the games last year, you can set up a tent most anywhere in the junction. Sparse crowd. Even the egg bowl.

It seems high until you have 5-6 families throwing in on it and then it is pretty affordable and convenient especially for those coming from out of town. Cuts down on how long you have to be there to take everything back down and tote to the car etc.

StarkVegasSteve
07-27-2020, 12:42 PM
It seems high until you have 5-6 families throwing in on it and then it is pretty affordable and convenient especially for those coming from out of town. Cuts down on how long you have to be there to take everything back down and tote to the car etc.

And this is most of the clientele that they are marketing towards. IMO they've always been easy to work with on gamedays and will generally try to help you out in any way they can.

Maroonthirteen
07-27-2020, 01:32 PM

I'm from Columbus. I don't know 3-4 families that actually go to games. Ha. I know 9-10 Alabama families.