PDA

View Full Version : Kiffin to resign on Friday, Napier is the new coach

Bert Stare
07-22-2020, 11:28 AM
That's the word among sports agents around the college circles this morning.

Dawgology
07-22-2020, 11:32 AM
Why is the world would Napier leave the shangri la that is Lafayette, LA??????*************

Uncle Ruckus
07-22-2020, 11:32 AM
Pretty bored over there, huh?

HailStateSZN19
07-22-2020, 11:33 AM
BERT. IS. BACK. BABY. LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!

Mobile Bay
07-22-2020, 11:34 AM
Oh lord, here we go again.

StarkVegasSteve
07-22-2020, 11:36 AM
The Return of Bert Pt. 2......The Derailing of The Lane Train.

Also, Billy Napier really must love MS. I mean to be coaching at Lafayette but have a house on Old West Point Rd. and now he's probably gonna have a condo in Oxford. Guy isn't being very smart with his money in the middle of a pandemic.

msstate7
07-22-2020, 11:37 AM
I heard urban Meyer on Monday

Commercecomet24
07-22-2020, 11:44 AM
Geez not this crap again.

Dawgology
07-22-2020, 11:49 AM
I heard it's Nick Saban with Urban Meyer as OC and Brent Venables as DC***

Incidentally, during all of the Napier to MSU drama didn't Bert mention (or someone) that Napier's agent was an Ole Miss alumni/Fan?

TrapGame
07-22-2020, 11:57 AM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/a5fb559a5a0e68cfd1733ddfe8a8ff44/tenor.gif?itemid=17224162

Gutter Cobreh
07-22-2020, 12:18 PM

Agreed.

It was entertaining the first time around with us because it passed the time, but I have no interest in the coaching situation in Oxford.

The Federalist Engineer
07-22-2020, 12:36 PM
Bert is a Troll, but the best kind.

I don't even mind

Lord McBuckethead
07-22-2020, 12:37 PM
Agreed.

It was entertaining the first time around with us because it passed the time, but I have no interest in the coaching situation in Oxford.

I have plenty of interest in whiever is their coach. Hope this becomes a huge story that looks negative on UM somehow.

Commercecomet24
07-22-2020, 12:40 PM
Agreed.

Right there with ya.

BrunswickDawg
07-22-2020, 12:43 PM

At least it is football "related".

Commercecomet24
07-22-2020, 12:44 PM
At least it is football "related".

This is true.

Hopefully it'll stay football related lol

FISHDAWG
07-22-2020, 12:48 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if Bert Stare stands for something else .... like - B_ _ _ S_ _ _

MagicDawg
07-22-2020, 12:56 PM
I think it's fantastic to come here with this and to just own the previous crash and burn in such a totally hilarious way. I give it a 10 and I'll fight the Russian judge who tries to give you a damn 7.

Commercecomet24
07-22-2020, 01:11 PM
I'm beginning to wonder if Bert Stare stands for something else .... like - B_ _ _ S_ _ _

Awesome! I believe that's correct too!

basedog
07-22-2020, 01:21 PM
Hey Bert, just tell Billy don't drink the water, we all know what happens when Freeze and now Kiffin drink Oxford water***

Bert Stare
07-22-2020, 01:34 PM
If any Ole Miss lurkers would like to confirm the rumors, reach out to Ross Dellenger on twitter. Kiffin seems to have had a change of heart about the move from Florida to Mississippi. This all came to a head Sunday night, when he talked with Keith Carter, and expressed his thoughts about uprooting his family in the middle of a pandemic.

He is headed back to Florida, and is planning to take the year off except for random TV broadcast appearances. Keith Carter put out feelers to Ole Miss Alum and sports agent Pete Roussel (Suite 615 Sports Advisors), who happens to also represent Billy Napier.

to recap: kiffin is out; napier is in.

ShotgunDawg
07-22-2020, 01:39 PM
If any Ole Miss lurkers would like to confirm the rumors, reach out to Ross Dellenger on twitter. Kiffin seems to have had a change of heart about the move from Florida to Mississippi. This all came to a head Sunday night, when he talked with Keith Carter, and expressed his thoughts about uprooting his family in the middle of a pandemic.

He is headed back to Florida, and is planning to take the year off except for random TV broadcast appearances. Keith Carter put out feelers to Ole Miss Alum and sports agent Pete Roussel (Suite 615 Sports Advisors), who happens to also represent Billy Napier.

That would suck.

Kiffin is a billboard while Napier is actually a good coach that’ll try to build the program correctly. I was hopeful Kiffin would bury them

Mobile Bay
07-22-2020, 01:42 PM
Bert is right. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Kiffin saying "I quit," at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

TrapGame
07-22-2020, 01:42 PM
That would suck.

Kiffin is a billboard while Napier is actually a good coach that’ll try to build the program correctly. I was hopeful Kiffin would bury them

Unless Napier screws OM over for the South Carolina job. That would be hilarious.

BTW, will OM allow that in his contract since that was supposedly the sticking point in his negotiations with State.

basedog
07-22-2020, 01:43 PM

Bert, what family are you speaking of, I thought Kiffin was divorced? Maybe it's a smoke screen.

Maroonthirteen
07-22-2020, 02:15 PM
Bert, what family are you speaking of, I thought Kiffin was divorced? Maybe it's a smoke screen.

I have no idea if any of the leaving part is true. But Kiffen is divorced but spends a good amount of time with his kids.

Divorce isn't what it was. Women have figured out. They can get custody, child support and push the kids off on dad as much as possible. Then go party and still get the support check. Not that I know what Lyla is doing. But it is a common situation now days. (Heads up youngsters)

Jack Lambert
07-22-2020, 02:19 PM
That would suck.

Kiffin is a billboard while Napier is actually a good coach that?ll try to build the program correctly. I was hopeful Kiffin would bury them

Napier will jump boat to the Big 12 as soon as he can. I still have trouble believing it.

Jack Lambert
07-22-2020, 02:21 PM
I have no idea if any of the leaving part is true. But Kiffen is divorced but spends a good amount of time with his kids.

Divorce isn't what it was. Women have figured out. They can get custody, child support and push the kids off on dad as much as possible. Then go party and still get the support check. Not that I know what Lyla is doing. But it is a common situation now days. (Heads up youngsters)

A friend of mine won in his divorce. He got everything he wanted in the divorce. The secret is don't settle. If you are willing to wait she will cave. It comes down to who wants out the marriage the most.

BeardoMSU
07-22-2020, 02:25 PM
Once a childhood favorite of so many, recently Bert has fallen on hard times...

https://i.imgur.com/KGVEBgv.jpg
https://i.redd.it/4dss3lc5ksc21.png
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/947/335/038.gif
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/743/505/ce0.gif

Thick
07-22-2020, 02:33 PM

Beautiful!

basedog
07-22-2020, 02:34 PM
If Bert is correct in his statements, I would think Kiffin is done as for as a college coach. He has blotched several coaching jobs.

Not sure Florida is any safer than Oxford when it comes to the Covid-19.

Homedawg
07-22-2020, 02:37 PM
after the sack of crap he fed ya'll last time, you believe him now??? wow

Joebob
07-22-2020, 02:40 PM
It would be pretty funny if this time Bert was actually telling the truth.

basedog
07-22-2020, 02:40 PM

Maybe***

Buddy
07-22-2020, 02:41 PM
It would be pretty funny if this time Bert Stare was actually telling the truth.

When has he EVER been correct???? He's been wrong every. single. time.

Joebob
07-22-2020, 02:42 PM

That's why I said "this time"

msstate7
07-22-2020, 02:43 PM

Some never learn

Commercecomet24
07-22-2020, 02:50 PM

You gotta know Bert is sitting behind his keyboard laughing his butt off everytime he posts on here. He's been wrong 100%.

DownwardDawg
07-22-2020, 03:28 PM
That would suck.

Sure you’re not buying this shit this time around??? I loved it the first time but this is just a waste of time now.

Todd4State
07-22-2020, 03:59 PM

Some people want to believe. I guess.

ShotgunDawg
07-22-2020, 04:21 PM
Sure you’re not buying this shit this time around??? I loved it the first time but this is just a waste of time now.

Not buying it but them getting lucky by trading Kiffin for Napier wouldn't be good for us

Napier would be fairly clean like Mullen was due to not viewing OM as a destination job, but he'd find value in Louisiana and MS like Mullen did and Leach is doing now. Ole Miss will scare me when they either have a coach that cheats or a coach that knows how evaluate/develop

Schultzy
07-22-2020, 04:31 PM
All coaches are taking the year off; unless a lot of ppl in authoritative positions find their balls.

Stepping down while getting paid to do nothing doesn?t seem believable.

Mobile Bay
07-22-2020, 04:39 PM
All coaches are taking the year off; unless a lot of ppl in authoritative positions find their balls.

Wrong, sad, totally fake news.

The Big South conference announced today that all fall sports will begin with football on September third. Other conferences will follow.

Truth is the additional transmissions from having football will probably be zero. You aren't stopping 20 year olds from doing what they do. No plague ever has.

Medic601
07-22-2020, 04:58 PM
Don’t trust it ONE bit but I would laugh my butt off if it turned out to be true.

Saltydog
07-22-2020, 05:26 PM
I thought you self imposed an exile the last time you came here with these outlandish claims......

Turfdawg67
07-22-2020, 05:31 PM
Oh lord, here we go again.

Thought I'd contribute to this nonsensical thread and add... you took the words right out of my mouth! LoL.

Turfdawg67
07-22-2020, 05:39 PM

I hope you meant to have sarcastrics after that last sentence. Bert's last thread was so full of smoke screens that my eyes were watering.

Turfdawg67
07-22-2020, 05:43 PM

Oh my! My man! Tough competition, but that's your best work!

Saltydog
07-22-2020, 05:43 PM
Bert is right. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Kiffin saying "I quit," at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Commercecomet24
07-22-2020, 05:49 PM
I thought you self imposed an exile the last time you came here with these outlandish claims......

Yeah he said he would ban himself if he was wrong but even that was wrong. 100% failure rate.

Commercecomet24
07-22-2020, 05:50 PM

Beardo you're undefeated and still the Champ!

Jack Lambert
07-22-2020, 06:00 PM

I talked to the Belhaven Strength coach at the gym and he said they are playing football. Milsaps is not playing. He said looks like a five game schedule. I know it it Div III but it is still NCAA/

Homedawg
07-22-2020, 08:14 PM
I talked to the Belhaven Strength coach at the gym and he said they are playing football. Milsaps is not playing. He said looks like a five game schedule. I know it it Div III but it is still NCAA/

No Stength coach knows crap. Hell a head coach doesn't. There are possibles but nothing for sure. And I mean nothing.

HaggardDawg
07-22-2020, 08:32 PM
His daughter was in town visiting. She's 14. Got pulled over on the square driving Lane because he was wasted. It'll get swept under the rug. He won't resign over that.

Cowbell
07-22-2020, 08:35 PM
No Stengel coach knows crap. Hell a head coach doesn't. There are possibles but nothing for sure. And I mean nothing.

Quit pissing on my optimism Bracky! LOL

Homedawg
07-22-2020, 08:38 PM
Well done!!

HoopsDawg
07-22-2020, 08:40 PM
I guess Elitedawgs needed some hits. Here is my contribution.

gtowndawg
07-22-2020, 09:17 PM

Come on man, everyone deserves a 2nd chance!!

basedog
07-22-2020, 09:51 PM
I hope you meant to have sarcastrics after that last sentence. Bert's last thread was so full of smoke screens that my eyes were watering.

LOL. Ok here u go *****

I'm actually not buying but it is way more entertaining than the on going Covid19 threat.

Commercecomet24
07-22-2020, 09:54 PM
LOL. Ok here u go *****

I'm actually not buying but it is way more entertaining than the on going Covid19 threat.

You just jinxed the thread man! You mentioned the c word that shall not be mentioned 😂

RezDog7
07-22-2020, 09:59 PM
But was Kiffin wearing a mask when he got pulled over?

Bass Chaser
07-22-2020, 10:11 PM
It's coming ...**

Schultzy
07-22-2020, 10:45 PM
Wrong, sad, totally fake news.

The Big South conference announced today that all fall sports will begin with football on September third. Other conferences will follow.

Truth is the additional transmissions from having football will probably be zero. You aren't stopping 20 year olds from doing what they do. No plague ever has.
Rock on, brother; I had no idea the Big South Conference was leading the counter revolution, now let?s get these student athletes some bolt cutters, march right into that stadium & play.
I do appreciate your optimism and wish I could share it.

Dawgology
07-24-2020, 08:38 AM
Bumped.

Today is the day.

Will Bert’s impeccable track record stand?

StarkVegasSteve
07-24-2020, 08:49 AM
Bumped.

Today is the day.

He hasn't been right yet, why start today?

Dawgology
07-24-2020, 09:04 AM
He hasn't been right yet, why start today?

Exactly

Commercecomet24
07-24-2020, 09:07 AM
Bumped.

Today is the day.

Bert is O fer forever, so i say the record stands

TrapGame
07-24-2020, 09:28 AM
Tick Tock...

Mobile Bay
07-24-2020, 09:41 AM
Tick Tock...

If it's like people are saying and it is for an embarrassing reason, it won't drop till four PM or so.

MaroonFlounder
07-24-2020, 09:55 AM
I don't know about the claim about "word among sports agents". I've heard it's word among high school coaches in TN. Not saying it is absolute truth, but I'm willing to bet that people will be paid off and it will be swept under the rug.

StarkVegasSteve
07-24-2020, 09:55 AM
If it's like people are saying and it is for an embarrassing reason, it won't drop till four PM or so.

OR, and hear me out here, Bert doesn't have freaking clue what he's talking about and has been wrong about everything he's ever reported on here.

StarkVegasSteve
07-24-2020, 09:56 AM
I don't know about the claim about "word among sports agents". I've heard it's word among high school coaches in TN. Not saying it is absolute truth, but I'm willing to bet that people will be paid off and it will be swept under the rug.

Everyone keeps saying "word going around"......what is the word going around? No one will come out and say anything which tells me no one knows anything and this was a stupid FB rumor.

Mobile Bay
07-24-2020, 09:58 AM
I r dumb

StateDawg44
07-24-2020, 10:05 AM

Nice. Keep it as vague as possible just to keep this nonsense afloat.

----

Some of you are taking Bert Stare way too seriously.

There is absolutely nothing to Kiffin leaving. Just dumb.

Fool me once...... and all

MaroonFlounder
07-24-2020, 10:38 AM
Nice. Keep it as vague as possible just to keep this nonsense afloat.

----

Some of you are taking Bert Stare way too seriously.

There is absolutely nothing to Kiffin leaving. Just dumb.

Fool me once...... and all

You will be assumed to be correct if it the accusing party and the people talking are paid off and it is effectively swept under the rug. So congrats on that, I guess?

gtowndawg
07-24-2020, 10:39 AM
I'm not the only one that wants Kiffin to stay right?

Mobile Bay
07-24-2020, 10:43 AM

I would rather him go because at this late date they would be reduced to candidates like Houston Nutt or Gene Chizic. Nobody would take the job a month before the season.

MetEdDawg
07-24-2020, 10:50 AM
I would rather him go because at this late date they would be reduced to candidates like Houston Nutt or Gene Chizic. Nobody would take the job a month before the season.

I would much rather have Kiffin in Oxford than Chizik. Chizik would have a chip on his shoulder and has been there done that at the highest level. Kiffin has already established who he is. He's a playboy that leaves places in crap situations when he's done with them. And if you've seen him recently, that dude looks like he has no craps left to give. I want that hanging around Oxford as long as possible.

TrapGame
07-24-2020, 10:53 AM

No. I do too.

Of course Bo's buddy Bartoo thinks Kiffin is a real winner. He's gonna start bringing in top 15 classes at OM. Just give him time.

LOL! Sure.

Todd4State
07-24-2020, 12:07 PM
I would much rather have Kiffin in Oxford than Chizik. Chizik would have a chip on his shoulder and has been there done that at the highest level. Kiffin has already established who he is. He's a playboy that leaves places in crap situations when he's done with them. And if you've seen him recently, that dude looks like he has no craps left to give. I want that hanging around Oxford as long as possible.

Chizik is freaking awful. Chip or no chip on his shoulder.

Tripp McNeely
07-24-2020, 12:12 PM
Chizik is freaking awful. Chip or no chip on his shoulder.

Agreed. Take out the Cam Newton year, Chiz was 19-19 at Auburn! If you can?t do better than .500 at Auburn, you have no idea what you are doing. He?s had ZERO head coaching jobs in the 8 years since he got let go...there?s a reason

BeardoMSU
07-24-2020, 12:18 PM
https://i.makeagif.com/media/9-01-2014/wv2TYx.gif

Dawgface
07-24-2020, 12:39 PM
Announcement probably coming after 6pm and the Finebaum show is over. I'm sure Bert will verify soon.

gtowndawg
07-24-2020, 01:21 PM
No. I do too.

Of course Bo's buddy Bartoo thinks Kiffin is a real winner. He's gonna start bringing in top 15 classes at OM. Just give him time.

LOL! Sure.

I'm just looking at Kiffin press conferences and interviews and I see a man that is not very motivated or at worse thinks he made a big mistake.

basedog
07-24-2020, 01:24 PM
I just saw the Fat Lady driving south, she had Bert and Billy in the back seat crying like babies****

Mobile Bay
07-24-2020, 04:25 PM
It's 4:30 pm, has Lane been fired on the tarmac yet?

Homedawg
07-24-2020, 04:30 PM
It's 4:30 pm, has Lane been fired on the tarmac yet?

Just wait for bert to comeback and tell you they are working on financial details****

MrCoachKlein
07-24-2020, 04:40 PM
If nothing else it was worth it just to get my Ole Miss friends all riled up.

Commercecomet24
07-24-2020, 04:49 PM
To recap: kiffin still at unm, Bert still o fer

BrunswickDawg
07-24-2020, 04:58 PM

You just don't understand, these things are fluid.****

starkvegasdawg
07-24-2020, 05:29 PM

Thought his dumbass was banned after the Napier fiasco.

BeardoMSU
07-24-2020, 05:30 PM

I guess ED big brother needed some AD-click money this week....somebody must've been short on their alimony.

If y'all need some charity, just ask fellas.**

BeardoMSU
07-24-2020, 05:31 PM

His threads make too much yeyo to be let go***

Commercecomet24
07-24-2020, 05:40 PM

He said he would ban himself if he was wrong about that but turns out he was wrong about that too!!!!

Homedawg
07-24-2020, 06:30 PM
He said he would ban himself if he was wrong about that but turns out he was wrong about that too!!!!

Well done!!

Lord McBuckethead
07-24-2020, 06:38 PM
Love Bert Stare.

Dawgface
07-24-2020, 07:11 PM
He still has to midnight to be right.

ScoobaDawg
07-24-2020, 07:15 PM
I guess ED big brother needed some AD-click money this week....somebody must've been short on their alimony.

If y'all need some charity, just ask fellas.**

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/7tOkpntQtBM/hqdefault.jpg

https://i.chzbgr.com/full/7182726400/h18ABC965/please-sir-i-want-some-more

Goldendawg
07-24-2020, 08:22 PM
Ok, dawgs, Bert is wrong again, as usual, BUT, go over to Nafoom and read the posts on page 3, of "Recruiting Update". Seems some reality is setting in on LK and his personality, (or lack there of). Terms used such as, "has not made any friends with many HS coaching staffs in MS", "many current players parents don't like him at all" & "don't think he gives 2 ***** about recruiting locally at all", etc. Of course, blame State has we have a major that turns out many coaches and eventually HC's and dominate MS recruiting, (claim only place we can recruit at all). Pretty interesting read. Hail State!

Todd4State
07-24-2020, 08:36 PM

When you're hot you're hot.

Todd4State
07-24-2020, 08:37 PM
Agreed. Take out the Cam Newton year, Chiz was 19-19 at Auburn! If you can?t do better than .500 at Auburn, you have no idea what you are doing. He?s had ZERO head coaching jobs in the 8 years since he got let go...there?s a reason

Chizik is like a poor man's Houston Nutt. His biggest contribution to Oxford would be bringing in another chicken tender restaurant to a town with several chicken tender places already.

Bass Chaser
07-24-2020, 08:58 PM

What about at least banning the alter-egos?

Bdawg
07-24-2020, 09:37 PM
Bert can GTFOOH!!

BeardoMSU
07-24-2020, 09:42 PM
C'mon, Bert...don't leave us hangin'....ED needs clicks.**

https://i.gifer.com/XNGm.gif

BeardoMSU
07-24-2020, 09:50 PM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/7tOkpntQtBM/hqdefault.jpg

https://i.chzbgr.com/full/7182726400/h18ABC965/please-sir-i-want-some-more

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b9/ba/4c/b9ba4cc3ae1e91e9db557b14242f49d0.gif

PKADogs55
07-24-2020, 11:14 PM
Hey Bert Stare ... just gonna lay this out there ... your a piece of shit. Your sports know know is just 17n horrible. Delete your account please.

tenureplan
07-24-2020, 11:27 PM
He didn't say WHICH Friday

PKADogs55
07-24-2020, 11:34 PM

I stand corrected ... haha

starkvegasdawg
07-25-2020, 12:21 AM

His point, though, remains valid. He's either a bear shark troll thinking he got us good or some eight year old MSU fan. I would say a southern fan trying to get a rise out of both schools but there's not but three of them and two have to share a phone charge cord and the third dropped his phone in the toilet at the Exxon on Hardy.

Buddy
07-25-2020, 08:21 AM
https://i.gifer.com/9q0h.gif

Turfdawg67
07-25-2020, 10:43 AM
His point, though, remains valid. He's either a bear shark troll thinking he got us good or some eight year old MSU fan. I would say a southern fan trying to get a rise out of both schools but there's not but three of them and two have to share a phone charge cord and the third dropped his phone in the toilet at the Exxon on Hardy.

I thought a mod or two vouched for him?

DownwardDawg
07-25-2020, 10:53 AM

C34 seemed to think Bert is connected but he’s the only person that believes that.

Mobile Bay
07-25-2020, 11:19 AM
Enforcerdawg or something like that also vouched for him. Whatever the name of the mod who goes after Ole Miss trolls.

DeltaChicagoDog
07-25-2020, 11:28 AM

Didn't 'the Enforcer' (I think that's who it was) do some investigative work and declare BS "all dog." Or maybe I just made that up in my mind back in January, wanting it to be true, and to justify all the time I was spending here and neglecting things like reality.

PGHBulldogBG
07-25-2020, 12:21 PM
I hope Kiffin doesn?t resign. Napier might take the Ole Miss job but he doesn?t scare me either. If he took the South Carolina job he would have to play Drinkwitz every year and we know how that would end. I would be worried about them getting an actual good coach though that can develop talent. I wouldn?t want them to make a Clawson, Satterfield, Klieman type of hire

TrapGame
07-25-2020, 02:05 PM
I hope Kiffin doesn?t resign. Napier might take the Ole Miss job but he doesn?t scare me either. If he took the South Carolina job he would have to play Drinkwitz every year and we know how that would end. I would be worried about them getting an actual good coach though that can develop talent. I wouldn?t want them to make a Clawson, Satterfield, Klieman type of hire

OM has to hire a certain breed of coach. One who doesn't mind an organization of alums breaking every rule in the NCAA handbook. B/c of this I don't think they'll ever hire a Clawson, Satterfield, Klieman type coach. You gotta have a Nutt, Freeze, Kiffin kind of coach.

Todd4State
07-25-2020, 03:13 PM
OM has to hire a certain breed of coach. One who doesn't mind an organization of alums breaking every rule in the NCAA handbook. B/c of this I don't think they'll ever hire a Clawson, Satterfield, Klieman type coach. You gotta have a Nutt, Freeze, Kiffin kind of coach.

Yep. They have to have someone that will play along with the Network. Chizik would do that but he also can't coach.

Todd4State
07-25-2020, 03:14 PM
C34 seemed to think Bert is connected but he’s the only person that believes that.

I think we talked to Napier and it was just that he wasn't as interested as some of our fans wanted him to be.

Homedawg
07-25-2020, 04:37 PM
I think we talked to Napier and it was just that he wasn't as interested as some of our fans wanted him to be.

We never talked to Napier. We did have some very limited convos w his agent.

Todd4State
07-25-2020, 05:13 PM

That's close enough for me as far as talking to him. I definitely don't believe it ever went as deep as Bert said it did. I imagine that Napier indicated through his agent in those conversations that he wasn't interested and we probably focused more on guys like Judge and Leach who were interested.

Dawgfan77
07-25-2020, 05:14 PM
True.. we put feelers out to three coaches. Once leach said yes I would talk we went all in. Napier told us wait til after bowl. JC and staff decided all in on ML

Mobile Bay
07-25-2020, 05:29 PM
True.. we put feelers out to three coaches. Once leach said yes I would talk we went all in. Napier told us wait til after bowl. JC and staff decided all in on ML

Nobody else in the rumor mill was even close to as good a hire as Mike Leach.

Todd4State
07-25-2020, 05:38 PM
Nobody else in the rumor mill was even close to as good a hire as Mike Leach.

That's the thing that kind of confused me about Judge. I'm sure he interviewed very well obviously since the Giants hired him but as of now he has zero head coaching experience. Technically less than Moorhead did and has a similar resume' at this point in his career as Croom. Leach has an almost 20 year track record of experience at this point.

How excited would our fans have been if we hired Judge and then brought in Derek Dooley as our OC?

Dawgology
07-25-2020, 06:02 PM
I feel like judge and Napier were largely smokescreens in the end.

Todd4State
07-25-2020, 07:04 PM

I heard we offered Judge.

KOdawg1
07-25-2020, 07:21 PM

Nah Judge was all but coming here until NY decided to give him the job. I don't think anyone expected him to get that job, including him. All things considered, I'm happy that it worked out the way it did, but I very much would've been on board with a Joe Judge hire.

BeardoMSU
07-25-2020, 07:34 PM
Nah Judge was all but coming here until NY decided to give him the job. I don't think anyone expected him to get that job, including him. All things considered, I'm happy that it worked out the way it did, but I very much would've been on board with a Joe Judge hire.

What about Judge would've excited you?

KOdawg1
07-25-2020, 07:38 PM
What about Judge would've excited you?

Experience under Belichick and Saban, as well as the assistants that were rumored.

Again, I'm very happy with the way it all played out. We got the best available coach. I'm just saying I don't think Judge would've been a disaster like some.

TrapGame
07-25-2020, 07:50 PM
Mike Leach was a home run hire. Napier would have been safe but he would have left us in a New York minute. Judge might have been the surprise of the century but his resume was lacking in a few areas.

Mobile Bay
07-25-2020, 07:56 PM
Mike Leach was a home run hire. Napier would have been safe but he would have left us in a New York minute. Judge might have been the surprise of the century but his resume was lacking in a few areas.

It was more than a home run. It was a walk off grand slam to win a super regional. Everything else he had done up to that point had been a super 17up. Moorhead, Canzero, letting Lemonis move on, everything.

BeardoMSU
07-25-2020, 07:58 PM
letting Lemonis move on

Am I missing something here?

maroonmania
07-25-2020, 08:29 PM
Am I missing something here?

Agree. Whoa Nellie! Where did that come from?

ETA: Surely he meant Mullen right?

starkvegasdawg
07-25-2020, 08:33 PM

Oh come on. He was just having an affair, sexting from the dugout during games, and lost the team because he was focusing on a different third base. Since when is that grounds for dismissal?

BrunswickDawg
07-25-2020, 10:20 PM
Nm

BrunswickDawg
07-25-2020, 10:21 PM
Oh come on. He was just having an affair, sexting from the dugout during games, and lost the team because he was focusing on a different third base. Since when is that grounds for dismissal?

Since Richard Williams at least, or maybe even since Babe McCarthy.**

Todd4State
07-25-2020, 10:38 PM
Experience under Belichick and Saban, as well as the assistants that were rumored.

Again, I'm very happy with the way it all played out. We got the best available coach. I'm just saying I don't think Judge would've been a disaster like some.

What assistants did you hear would be coming with him?

Given their track record experience under Bellichick isn't necessarily a plus for me. He's not like Bill Walsh where he would groom guys to be head coaches. He wants coaches that know his system and fit his system and to stay around for a long time. Neither Saban nor Bellichick like to replace coaches.

KOdawg1
07-25-2020, 10:52 PM
What assistants did you hear would be coming with him?

Given their track record experience under Bellichick isn't necessarily a plus for me. He's not like Bill Walsh where he would groom guys to be head coaches. He wants coaches that know his system and fit his system and to stay around for a long time. Neither Saban nor Bellichick like to replace coaches.

Aaron Feld as strength coach. Will Hall as OC. Tosh Lupoi as DC/DL coach. Jody Wright in some capacity.

Mobile Bay
07-26-2020, 07:02 AM

ETA: Surely he meant Mullen right?

Nope, Lemonis. (Edit: I should have said Henderson. I am dumb. )

For him to take over like he did, hold the team together, and get to Omaha. I think that deserved a very serious effort to keep him. One I don't think we made.

Bass Chaser
07-26-2020, 07:28 AM
Nope, Lemonis.

For him to take over like he did, hold the team together, and get to Omaha. I think that deserved a very serious effort to keep him. One I don't think we made.

Henderson not Lemonis.

Mobile Bay
07-26-2020, 07:31 AM
Henderson not Lemonis.

You are correct, I R Dumb. I got them backwards.

BeardoMSU
07-26-2020, 07:33 AM
You are correct, I R Dumb. I got them backwards.

I'll always be grateful for what he did for us and respect him, but there is a reason no one snatched him up to be their head coach.

State82
07-26-2020, 08:42 PM
I'll always be grateful for what he did for us and respect him, but there is a reason no one snatched him up to be their head coach.

This is spot on. Gary deserved just compensation for the job he performed for our baseball program that year. And he deserved to be WELL compensated. But the compensation in NO way should have been the head coach position.

FISHDAWG
07-27-2020, 07:21 AM

is Bobby Collins still around ?

maroonmania
07-27-2020, 10:20 AM
This is spot on. Gary deserved just compensation for the job he performed for our baseball program that year. And he deserved to be WELL compensated. But the compensation in NO way should have been the head coach position.

Agree, I'm very grateful to Henderson for what he did for us after Canny got canned. However, GH is in the twilight of his career whereas Lemonis could be the long term solution at our HC position. Everything certainly looks good on that front so far. Plus I don't think its even close when comparing the recruiting ability between the two.

Todd4State
07-28-2020, 03:45 AM

I appreciate what Gary Henderson did too. But long term keeping him as the head coach would not have been what was best for MSU. Henderson is old school as a pitching coach and in this day and age if you want to attract the best arms you need someone that is more current- like a Wes Johnson or a Scott Foxhall. And yeah, I guess we could have kept Henderson and hired Foxhall but in doing that there is the potential for clashing on methods and things that could have caused problems. So then the only way it would have made sense is if Henderson was elite at strategy and in game managing and that year he showed that he was not.

I think hiring Lemonis was a good decision overall. The only thing I would like to see is an assistant with MLB scouting ties on staff. And no I don't think anyone should be fired or anything like that but when one of our coaches leaves we definitely should try to go with someone in that direction. That was the thing that excited me the most about Cann- the scouting connections.

msbulldog
07-28-2020, 05:48 AM
You don't think coach Gautreau has MLB connections he played pro ball and Canny hired him away from Scott Boras, the top agent in baseball.

The Federalist Engineer
07-28-2020, 08:37 AM

Henderson deserves credit but not the HC position. The 2018 team was much more than Ron Polk's false dawn in 2007, because we beat Vandy in Nashville came 1-game shy of playing for a championship. That's about as good as 1985.

But 2018 felt like a combination of luck and great southern engineering. After Ethan Small, that pitching staff was all duct tape, wire, flex-seal, clamps, prayer, and super-glue.

With Lemonis we won't have 1b'men closing games for us. We won't have a walk-on as the Saturday starter, 5 transfers in the starting 9, and we won't need to flip USM recruits at the last minute.

With Lemonis we are going to war with an elite talent level. If we could just get so lucky as the 2018 team, we would waltz to the damn NC.

By the way, I am not saying that Lemonis just turned this around on his own. Cohen, Cannizarro, and Henderson somehow kept the recruiting classes together. Cohen, back in 2011 barely had MSU recruiting on par with Kentucky. Today, we are better than everybody except Vandy and a few others. We might have achieved parity with LSU.

State82
07-28-2020, 01:46 PM
All good points Fed Eng

Todd4State
07-28-2020, 03:16 PM
You don't think coach Gautreau has MLB connections he played pro ball and Canny hired him away from Scott Boras, the top agent in baseball.

He has more connections to Boras- which is valuable but he doesn't have the scouting and front office connections that Cann did.

The scouting connections are more valuable to me because they are part of the organizations that are actually picking the players.

Todd4State
07-28-2020, 03:21 PM
Henderson deserves credit but not the HC position. The 2018 team was much more than Ron Polk's false dawn in 2007, because we beat Vandy in Nashville came 1-game shy of playing for a championship. That's about as good as 1985.

But 2018 felt like a combination of luck and great southern engineering. After Ethan Small, that pitching staff was all duct tape, wire, flex-seal, clamps, prayer, and super-glue.

With Lemonis we won't have 1b'men closing games for us. We won't have a walk-on as the Saturday starter, 5 transfers in the starting 9, and we won't need to flip USM recruits at the last minute.

With Lemonis we are going to war with an elite talent level. If we could just get so lucky as the 2018 team, we would waltz to the damn NC.

By the way, I am not saying that Lemonis just turned this around on his own. Cohen, Cannizarro, and Henderson somehow kept the recruiting classes together. Cohen, back in 2011 barely had MSU recruiting on par with Kentucky. Today, we are better than everybody except Vandy and a few others. We might have achieved parity with LSU.

Very good post. Although I will say Konnor Pilkington was a potential first round talent and under Henderson he ended up a third round guy.

I think we were able to keep the classes mostly together because of what MSU baseball is. Which is a compliment to the MSU fans and our tradition. Butch Thompson took a few recruits with him that could have helped us like Jack Owen and that hurt us a little bit. Wes Johnson also took a couple to Arkansas if I remember correctly.

I think Cohen getting Chris Stratton was BIG back in the day. That was the first big Mississippi recruit we had landed since Mitch Moreland or Ed Easley back in the day.