PDA

View Full Version : Mullen vs. Hudspeth QB coaching......

Goat Holder
11-05-2013, 11:44 AM
So, if all the rumors turn out to be true (Mullen to UConn, Hudspeth to MSU), where does that leave us with QBs? We FINALLY get the offense to where Mullen truly wants it next year, with Prescott being somewhat of a veteran, as he's working his kinks out this season. 19 of 22 starters coming back. Then we pull a Miss Stake and fire the coach and bring in Hudspeth. What does he do with Prescott?

Any of you know what type of QB Hud has traditionally succeeded with? I'll admit I don't. I do know that Prescott is a tailor made QB for Mullen.

DawgsBite34
11-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Mark Hudspeth runs a spread option ground and pound offense that will be perfect for Dak and our personnel. Just another reason Hud is a perfect fit at State.

SignalToNoise
11-05-2013, 11:46 AM
From watching a few games this year Hud uses dual threat QBs. Prescott would fit fine in his system from what I've seen.

Jdawg
11-05-2013, 11:47 AM
HUD was on Bo Bounds yesterday and stated he wants his QB's to manage the game and get the ball to the playmakers. It looks like Mullen expects Dak to be 90% of the offense currently.

Dawg61
11-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Hud will implement this revolutionary idea of downfield passing that Mullen doesn't know exists

Goat Holder
11-05-2013, 11:48 AM
While I'm not a Fire Mullen guy just yet, another big reason that Hud would be great at MSU (or anywhere in the South) is that now he has strong connections in Louisiana, which is a HUGELY under-rated football recruiting area.

CadaverDawg
11-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Goat, you would be pleased to see Hud's offense. It uses the same personnel that Mullen's uses, but Hud seems to find mismatches and take advantage of them until the other team proves they can stop it. He recruited a big RB/FB that he likes to pound up the middle, and has a good dual threat QB. He likes big tall WR's and he utilizes those guys. He wore out Petrino with pounding the ball up the middle and then throwing to his tall WR over and over. Petrino couldn't stop it, so Hud kept running it.

He is not perfect, and I'm not saying he is some savior. But we will not have to change personnel one bit. In fact, he would probably improve recruiting right away and hang on to those guys we have because they fit his system.

CadaverDawg
11-05-2013, 11:50 AM
While I'm not a Fire Mullen guy just yet, another big reason that Hud would be great at MSU (or anywhere in the South) is that now he has strong connections in Louisiana, which is a HUGELY under-rated football recruiting area.

I agree. And a majority of his players that he's brought in are MS kids. He should be a big improvement in the recruiting department

C222
11-05-2013, 11:53 AM
I love Hud and think he's going to be a hell of a coach at a big time program some day, but I find it hard to believe he could have turned Relf into what he became, like Mullen did. I am still amazed by that.

engie
11-05-2013, 11:55 AM

Exactly...

Strong connections in LA, AL, MS, and TN(from his time at North Alabama). I honestly don't think there is any better option out there in terms of short-term recruiting gain/connections than Hudspeth.

This is his current QB play:

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20131105-pgea-37kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20131105-pgea-37kb)
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20131105-vm9q-48kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20131105-vm9q-48kb)

Compared to us:
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20131105-zeoz-37kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20131105-zeoz-37kb)
http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20131105-tir2-58kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20131105-tir2-58kb)

DawgsBite34
11-05-2013, 11:55 AM
I mean I just don't see any reason why theres even a debate on who it should be if Mullen cant get to 6 wins and gets canned.....Hud is a guy quoted as saying he wants to be here, he runs an offense that we already have the players for, he can recruit, hes an intense guy, or more intense than Mullen for sure. Just my opinion

engie
11-05-2013, 11:59 AM
I agree. And a majority of his players that he's brought in are MS kids. He should be a big improvement in the recruiting department

It's my opinion that Hud is a part of what's actually killing Southern Miss. He's got 15 contributors from the state of MS on his team -- guys that would almost assuredly go to USM under normal circumstances.

Goat Holder
11-05-2013, 12:06 PM
One fact you have to take into consideration is that Hud was very involved in the offense in 2009 and 2010. We all can agree that those were Mullen's best two offensive teams. If Mullen had hired even an average DC instead of Torbush, we beat LSU and Houston at minimum and are 7-5 that year against the country's hardest schedule.

Goat Holder
11-05-2013, 12:07 PM
To be fair, Mullen is getting alot of South MS guys too. Plus I think alot of Mobile kids that used to go to USM are now going to South.

Goat Holder
11-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Petrino couldn't stop it, so Hud kept running it.

This is a very noble (and simple) concept for a coach to have, and many don't have it. Malzahn is one of the best with it IMO. I watched him run the same play 8 times in a row while at Arkansas State (ironically, against Hud).

Bo Darville
11-05-2013, 12:12 PM
It's my opinion that Hud is a part of what's actually killing Southern Miss. He's got 15 contributors from the state of MS on his team -- guys that would almost assuredly go to USM under normal circumstances.

I totally agree with this. Hudspeth and staff have pulled some of the Mississippi and Louisiana talent that is not quite SEC worthy. Some of that talent used to go to USM/Tulane, etc. There is excitement in Lafayette that Hattiesburg is lacking.

Barking 13
11-05-2013, 12:14 PM
This is a very noble (and simple) concept for a coach to have, and many don't have it. Malzahn is one of the best with it IMO. I watched him run the same play 8 times in a row while at Arkansas State (ironically, against Hud).

How many times in a row have you seen Freezus run that screen to Paidwell?

CadaverDawg
11-05-2013, 12:16 PM
One fact you have to take into consideration is that Hud was very involved in the offense in 2009 and 2010. We all can agree that those were Mullen's best two offensive teams. If Mullen had hired even an average DC instead of Torbush, we beat LSU and Houston at minimum and are 7-5 that year against the country's hardest schedule.

Yep. And most rumors from players that played under Mullen in his first few years, was that the greatest coaches to play for we're Diaz and Hudspeth. Not sure if it was their youth, or that they were players coaches, or what. But there is something to that when you look back at how much swagger our teams had while Hud and Diaz were there. May just be a coincidence though.

CadaverDawg
11-05-2013, 12:17 PM

I agree. Malzahn is great at it.

msstate7
11-05-2013, 12:23 PM

That was with Tyson lee and Chris Relf. Imagine if those teams had dak.

hacker
11-05-2013, 12:29 PM
I am inching towards Hudspeth-land.

engie
11-05-2013, 12:35 PM
Malzahn, Freeze, Sumlin... they all do basically the same thing. Go fast to prevent personnel adjustments by defense, formulate a very basic gameplan with a handful of well-designed plays to attack whatever they see as a defensive weakness -- and stick with that until the defense adjusts to stop it. Then, they go to the "second weakness" with the second set of plays and attack that the same way.

It's not revolutionary -- but it's a solid system that doesn't rely too heavily on any one person for success...

FISHDAWG
11-05-2013, 12:36 PM
so would Damien Williams & Elijah Staley ..... seems like a natural fit

hacker
11-05-2013, 01:13 PM
Malzahn, Freeze, Sumlin... they all do basically the same thing. Go fast to prevent personnel adjustments by defense, formulate a very basic gameplan with a handful of well-designed plays to attack whatever they see as a defensive weakness -- and stick with that until the defense adjusts to stop it. Then, they go to the "second weakness" with the second set of plays and attack that the same way.

It's not revolutionary -- but it's a solid system that doesn't rely too heavily on any one person for success...

Those coaches also use packaged plays, which if the D isn't making adjustments, the read is the same, so the play ends up being the same.

basedog
11-05-2013, 01:29 PM
All I can say is, better be careful what you wish for! Firing Mullen may be good or bad. I don't care what anyone thinks about other conferences, but coaching in the SEC is by for harder than coaching any other conference in America and NOTHING is a sure thing when it comes to long term winning at Msu, our history is clear when it comes to tradition.

Just glad I don't make the call on Mullen, I'm on the fence BUT i don't want to see him fired, if he decides to leave so be it, but if he stays so be it again for me. Know way he deserves to be bashed like he has!

hacker
11-05-2013, 01:34 PM
All I can say is, better be careful what you wish for! Firing Mullen may be good or bad. I don't care what anyone thinks about other conferences, but coaching in the SEC is by for harder than coaching any other conference in America and NOTHING is a sure thing when it comes to long term winning at Msu, our history is clear when it comes to tradition.

Just glad I don't make the call on Mullen, I'm on the fence BUT i don't want to see him fired, if he decides to leave so be it, but if he stays so be it again for me. Know way he deserves to be bashed like he has!

Nobody wants to fire him unless Hudspeth has already sent in a notarized post-dated contract.

basedog
11-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Oh there are many who want to fire Mullen.

smootness
11-05-2013, 01:44 PM

I said after the SC game that I was done, but I still agree with this post.

People talk about Hudspeth actually being able to create mismatches...well, Mullen did that as well at Florida. It's a lot easier to do that when your talent is at least equal to the teams you're playing against. Coaching at Florida obviously gives you that, and pretty much anywhere in the Sun Belt, your talent is going to be roughly equal to everyone else.

I think Hudspeth is a good recruiter, and I would be fully behind him if we decided to get rid of Mullen. And I'm basically now at the point where I'm ok with that and think it might be necessary. But acting like Mullen doesn't know what he's doing is silly.

engie
11-05-2013, 02:01 PM
Oh there are many who want to fire Mullen.

VERY few that just blindly "want to fire him" and then have an open coaching search...

The idea of getting rid of him assumes that we've already got Hudspeth on board...

basedog
11-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Let me ask you this, IF Hudspeth tells our AD he wants the to be our HC, are you for telling Mullen he is fired?

quickstrike2
11-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Are we even sure we can get Hud or that he has his eye on something else? Do we know that our administration would hire him or pull a Rick Ray type hire. Nothing against Ray, just seemed to blindside everyone. I don't understand all the Hud love if we cant guarantee those two questions. Not at all happy with Mullen right now, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Dawgfan77
11-05-2013, 02:22 PM
I think we need to have a full cleansing. Meaning we need to help Mullen and Scott pack their bags.

engie
11-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Let me ask you this, IF Hudspeth tells our AD he wants the to be our HC, are you for telling Mullen he is fired?

Yes. Yesterday.

Of course, Hud isn't going to say that without a few administrative assurances first...

engie
11-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Are we even sure we can get Hud or that he has his eye on something else? Do we know that our administration would hire him or pull a Rick Ray type hire. Nothing against Ray, just seemed to blindside everyone. I don't understand all the Hud love if we cant guarantee those two questions. Not at all happy with Mullen right now, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Again -- http://djournal.com/sports/opinion-msus-hudspeth-finally-getting-his-shot-in-starkville/

What has changed?

quickstrike2
11-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Again -- http://djournal.com/sports/opinion-msus-hudspeth-finally-getting-his-shot-in-starkville/

What has changed?

Probably nothing. Its worth a thought that he could have better situations than us though.

BHildreth3
11-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Also, Hudspeth, like Freeze, Malzahn and others from the high school ranks, has more simplified terminology. The plays aren't hard to learn. It's another reason he keeps having success.

engie
11-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Probably nothing. Its worth a thought that he could have better situations than us though.

Better situations 30 minutes from where he grew up dreaming of coaching? What "better option" would he have?

The fact is -- for every coach that is "scared off" by us running Mullen out of here early -- there will be another on that sees our roster situation and what we've got coming back and is LICKING THEIR CHOPS at the setup for immediate success. IF we move now, it is teed up for the next guy. There is no "rebuild" necessary...

quickstrike2
11-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Better situations 30 minutes from where he grew up dreaming of coaching? What "better option" would he have?

The fact is -- for every coach that is "scared off" by us running Mullen out of here early -- there will be another on that sees our roster situation and what we've got coming back and is LICKING THEIR CHOPS at the setup for immediate success. IF we move now, it is teed up for the next guy. There is no "rebuild" necessary...

You are probably pretty close with that assessment. I want whats good for State. Mullen has done a good job to get us where we are at compared to what he inherited. The next 4 games will be a good indication if he has peaked in my opinion.

Goat Holder
11-05-2013, 04:54 PM
I think players determine the swagger more than coaches. I personally think that the 2009 team was the most swagged out team of all of them, mainly because of Dixon and Chaney. 2010 couldn't help but have a little bit of swag because he had some horses that decided to be badasses their senior years (Sherrod, White, McPhee, Wright). McPhee had the swag too though.

tcdog70
11-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Hud , usually has a tall WR, who he throws to often. Wilson would be perfect

preachermatt83
11-05-2013, 05:35 PM
Hud , usually has a tall WR, who he throws to often. Wilson would be perfect

Wilson and JRob would be all SEC performers in year 1 under Hud.

State82
11-05-2013, 06:03 PM

YES

HoopsDawg
11-05-2013, 06:32 PM

I would encourage him to pursue the UConn job. Best for all parties.

Goat Holder
11-05-2013, 06:52 PM
there will be another on that sees our roster situation and what we've got coming back and is LICKING THEIR CHOPS at the setup for immediate success. IF we move now, it is teed up for the next guy. There is no "rebuild" necessary...

And what coach was it that built that situation?

engie
11-05-2013, 07:14 PM
And what coach was it that built that situation?

What difference does it make if he can no longer win with it? Jackie brought in HELLA good talent in 02 and 03. Should we have kept him around?

Seriously -- how many does he have to drop in a row against decent teams before some of you admit this to yourselves?

Goat Holder
11-05-2013, 07:27 PM
I'm just spouting off facts. I'm not in one camp or the other. Who's to say Croom wouldn't have done well with his guys in 2009 or 2010? We'll never know, but you can't deny that Mullen won with alot of Croom recruits. That's all I'm saying here. Whoever coaches MSU next season will be winning (hopefully) with alot of Mullen's recruits. Fact.

Who's to say Cutcliffe wouldn't have won again after 2004? Who's to say Orgeron wouldn't have won in 2008 with all his guys in there plus Jevan Snead? Who's to say Nutt wouldn't have won last year and this year as the 2011 signing class matured? We'll never know. But I do know one thing - not all those guys are bad coaches. The good coaches are the ones that don't let it get away from them during the down sides, sort of like this year for us. The fate of the season is still to be decided.

engie
11-05-2013, 07:34 PM
I'm just spouting off facts. I'm not in one camp or the other. Who's to say Croom wouldn't have done well with his guys in 2009 or 2010? We'll never know, but you can't deny that Mullen won with alot of Croom recruits. That's all I'm saying here. Whoever coaches MSU next season will be winning (hopefully) with alot of Mullen's recruits. Fact.

Who's to say Cutcliffe wouldn't have won again after 2004? Who's to say Orgeron wouldn't have won in 2008 with all his guys in there plus Jevan Snead? Who's to say Nutt wouldn't have won last year and this year as the 2011 signing class matured? We'll never know. But I do know one thing - not all those guys are bad coaches. The good coaches are the ones that don't let it get away from them during the down sides, sort of like this year for us. The fate of the season is still to be decided.

All fair points...

wrb7480
11-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Is there anything to the Hudspeth divorce - UNA cheerleader impregnated story that would scare us away from Hudsperg? Doesn't affect his coaching, but seems like poor discernment. What's with those Louisville, MS boys and women? (TSUN BBALL coach....)

CadaverDawg
11-05-2013, 09:49 PM
I'm sure ole miss fans will bring it up because they're scared of us getting Hudspeth. So they will probably troll our boards saying those very words to try and get stuff started. But no, that shouldn't be an issue. Those days are obviously behind him.

wrb7480
11-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Yes, I agree.....TSUN fans will bring it up. All the more reason for us to make sure the issue is fully "vetted" if we do deal with him. Don't need a situation like the Ogre situation. The media is always looking for a "gotcha" story.

I like HUD and don't care about his past unless it can bite us! As for TSUN being scared of HUD, I think their coach beat HUD when he was at Arky State, not that it matters.

preachermatt83
11-05-2013, 10:18 PM
I smell a .... TROLL!!!!!!!

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a517/SirPj/bth_ia7q_zps4988087d.gif

CadaverDawg
11-05-2013, 10:36 PM
Yes, I agree.....TSUN fans will bring it up. All the more reason for us to make sure the issue is fully "vetted" if we do deal with him. Don't need a situation like the Ogre situation. The media is always looking for a "gotcha" story.

I like HUD and don't care about his past unless it can bite us! As for TSUN being scared of HUD, I think their coach beat HUD when he was at Arky State, not that it matters.

Yea, he took over a top team in the Sunbelt and beat ULL which was at the bottom of the Sunbelt when Hud took over. Good try though. I had a feeling you would defend ole miss if baited. Thank you.

geotop
11-05-2013, 10:39 PM
Coach Dan is not going anywhere on his own !!!

wrb7480
11-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Yea, he took over a top team in the Sunbelt and beat ULL which was at the bottom of the Sunbelt when Hud took over. Good try though. I had a feeling you would defend ole miss if baited. Thank you.

You guys are funny! Anyone that disagrees is a troll! Ok, whatever......

preachermatt83
11-05-2013, 10:53 PM

hook, line, and sinker!!

CadaverDawg
11-05-2013, 10:55 PM
You guys are funny! Anyone that disagrees is a troll! Ok, whatever......

I didn't disagree with you. And I didn't call you a troll. I just had a feeling you were one of those guys that would defend ole miss if I posted something bad about them, and you did. Take it for what it's worth. I just don't see the point in bringing up dirt on Hudspeth and then defending ole miss in back to back posts if you are a state guy. Seems fishy, but I didn't say you were a troll. Carry on. And welcome.

wrb7480
11-05-2013, 11:15 PM
I didn't disagree with you. And I didn't call you a troll. I just had a feeling you were one of those guys that would defend ole miss if I posted something bad about them, and you did. Take it for what it's worth. I just don't see the point in bringing up dirt on Hudspeth and then defending ole miss in back to back posts if you are a state guy. Seems fishy, but I didn't say you were a troll. Carry on. And welcome.

I'm no troll, but I do care about facts....for instance.....the year before HUD took over ULL they went 3-9 with a win over 4-8 Arky State. In 2011 HUD became ULL HC and Bucky became Arky State HC. I don't see how you can say Arky State was a Sun Beltpower and ULL was worst program in league.

Hud's personal life is his business. But it is still a fact that we (yes my alma mater!) better be prepared to deal with if we run off CDM.

CadaverDawg
11-05-2013, 11:30 PM
I'm no troll, but I do care about facts....for instance.....the year before HUD took over ULL they went 3-9 with a win over 4-8 Arky State. In 2011 HUD became ULL HC and Bucky became Arky State HC. I don't see how you can say Arky State was a Sun Beltpower and ULL was worst program in league.

Hud's personal life is his business. But it is still a fact that we (yes my alma mater!) better be prepared to deal with if we run off CDM.

You actually may be right. I'm too lazy to look it up, and I was basing mine off of what someone else posted the other day. I know ULL is traditionally at the bottom of that league and Ark St has been one of the better teams in that league. My apologies on questioning your motives.

engie
11-05-2013, 11:49 PM
If you are going to go the extra mile to dig into this one game, any logical State fan would put in the extra effort to achieve a little background and context into what actually happened -- thus negating the need for your post. Unless, of course, you have an agenda you are trying to promote -- which is very suspicious at this point.

Freeze inherited the defending Sun Belt player-of-the-year in soph QB Ryan Alpin. He also had 1+ recruiting classes there to recruit as an assistant before he became head coach. Arky State was picked anywhere from 2nd to 5th in Freeze's year. ULL was picked last or next-to-last in Hud's first year. Even as such, the Sun Belt championship came down to that night in Jonesboro. Ultimately, Arky St won a 9 point decision on their home field that was decided with 2 min to go in the game to seal the conference title. Oh -- ULL had FIVE turnovers in that game and they lost by 9. Hell, a portion of our fanbase is claiming a moral victory about having 5 turnovers and losing by 18. Would I expect the results to be different if Hud had 1 year and 1 month of additional recruiting time at ULL? It's a distinct possibility. So, obviously, as much as you apparently want it to be, the comparison is still apples-to-oranges.

No one is contending that Hudspeth is perfect. But name another candidate, and I can poke holes through ALL of them when you narrow it down to a single game...

Dawgfan77
11-06-2013, 06:50 AM
Do we need to dig up dirt of Freeze?? I can assure you his dirt is much worse than what Hud has done....Just talk to some folks at Briarcrest. If those Black bears really knew the real Freezus would they hold him in such high regards??? My rebuttal to the Rebs would be those without sin cast the first stone

wrb7480
11-06-2013, 07:16 AM
I don't care what is said about TSUN's program, coach or players! I do care deeply about my school! If fully analyzing ANY candidate's career, both on and off the field, makes me a troll, then so be it! It is a concern to me that if we go to the lengths to replace CDM, we better make a home run hire! Is HUD better than Freeze, probably so....but where does that get us? About 7th in this league! Why don't we aim a little higher?

In the end, all I care about is in Starkville!

OzarkaNSW
11-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Terrance Broadway is a bad ass name

engie
11-06-2013, 12:16 PM
I don't care what is said about TSUN's program, coach or players! I do care deeply about my school! If fully analyzing ANY candidate's career, both on and off the field, makes me a troll, then so be it! It is a concern to me that if we go to the lengths to replace CDM, we better make a home run hire! Is HUD better than Freeze, probably so....but where does that get us? About 7th in this league! Why don't we aim a little higher?

In the end, all I care about is in Starkville!

What is "aiming a little higher?" It drives me up the wall when people make statements like that -- but then don't quantify what they think "a little higher" is...

7th in the SEC = top 20 in the country. I can live with that and be happy. Have you looked at the list of guys coaching in the SEC lately?