PDA

View Full Version : GA WILL Have HS Football

BrunswickDawg
07-20-2020, 02:18 PM
GHSA just voted to delay schedule to start Sept. 4, keep a 10 game schedule, and keep the 5 week playoff schedule intact.

Vote was unanimous.

DownwardDawg
07-20-2020, 02:27 PM
Great news!!!!

FISHDAWG
07-20-2020, 02:39 PM
it's an old sweet song that keeps Georgia on My Mind

Political Hack
07-20-2020, 02:43 PM
If you can play a local schedule it makes sense for the locals to dictate. Gwinnett County followed other local counties and announced today that they will return to exclusively digital learning.

BrunswickDawg
07-20-2020, 02:53 PM
If you can play a local schedule it makes sense for the locals to dictate. Gwinnett County followed other local counties and announced today that they will return to exclusively digital learning.

I can actually understand the large Metro Atl schools starting out on-line. Gwinnett, Cobb, Forsyth, DeKalb, and Cherokee have roughly 25 HS of 2,500 students or more. Gwinnett has 180,000+ students; Cobb 110k+. It's a procurement nightmare right now just to get enough disinfectant to clean all their schools. Their logistics are strained a lot more than the small rural systems.

Political Hack
07-20-2020, 02:57 PM
Gwinnett county schools is the largest employer in the state of Georgia. People don't realize that. It's not just a student issue. It's a workforce issue. I understand it too. Hate it for the kids, but it's necessary for a short time. Vaccine will be ready and distributed by early to mid-Spring. Should be several viable options with different efficacy rates, but even if they're only 40% effective it's 40% fewer people transmitting the disease and 40% fewer people clogging up hospitals. People don't realize it, but if they'd just ban together for a few more months and take ALL mitigation measures, this will quickly becomes a road bump in our rear view mirror.

As long as they don't cancel the GFL season, I'll avoid deep depression.

Commercecomet24
07-20-2020, 03:00 PM
I can actually understand the large Metro Atl schools starting out on-line. Gwinnett, Cobb, Forsyth, DeKalb, and Cherokee have roughly 25 HS of 2,500 students or more. Gwinnett has 180,000+ students; Cobb 110k+. It's a procurement nightmare right now just to get enough disinfectant to clean all their schools. Their logistics are strained a lot more than the small rural systems.

We played some showcases at some of those Atlanta metro high schools and some of those schools had bigger campuses that usm lol! Amazing how large some of those high schools are.

SheltonChoked
07-20-2020, 04:49 PM

I'm not sure about GA, but the big school districts here have a all the kids inside one building problem.

My youngest is in a open concept (no walls) elementary school with 1,200 kids. There are 55 others just like it, with 800-1,500 kids in each one. With the evidence that COVID is easily spread via re-circulated building air, that's a huge outbreak risk.

The middle schools and high schools are worse as it's up to 3,800 kids in each school.

It's not just cleaning the surfaces, it's that one infected person inside all day could infect thousands of families.

My rural MS high school had several buildings and no central air conditioning. It is much easier to isolate a room or a few classrooms there.

It's impossible here.

Hambone
07-20-2020, 05:34 PM
So how will schools that go 100% virtual field a football team?

Political Hack
07-20-2020, 05:38 PM
So how will schools that go 100% virtual field a football team?

Going to be weird, but I guess they show up to practice in the afternoon after digital learning.

Leeshouldveflanked
07-21-2020, 06:16 AM
What do you actually learn in US High Schools from an education standpoint? It?s pretty much a waste of time and Taxpayers money...