PDA

View Full Version : UNC and football recruiting

BB30
07-17-2020, 02:34 PM
Don't follow recruiting much. Ended up looking at some of it today. How is UNC recruiting as well as they are? They have 1- 5* and 11 or 12- 4*'s along with a bunch of high 3s.

Seems like that kind of came out of nowhere. Surely a coaching change wouldn't make that much of a difference even being Mac Brown.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-17-2020, 02:55 PM
Mack Brown is 1 of the better recruiting coaches of our generation. It also doesn't hurt this is an all time great North Carolina Class Instate. They have 17 commits with 14 being Instate. The 1 5* if from Virginia & not far from where Dre Bly, UNC DB Coach, grew up. He's also enrolling next month so he'll go to the 2020 class & their class will drop some. They're not doing anything crazy though but locking up home.

BrunswickDawg
07-17-2020, 02:57 PM
Don't follow recruiting much. Ended up looking at some of it today. How is UNC recruiting as well as they are? They have 1- 5* and 11 or 12- 4*'s along with a bunch of high 3s.

Seems like that kind of came out of nowhere. Surely a coaching change wouldn't make that much of a difference even being Mac Brown.

Just looking at the make-up of their class - looks like North Carolina is having a solid year for producing prospects, and UNC is benefiting. Throw in a 5 Star from VA, and they have a stellar class. The were #19th last year.
I think Mack doesn't always get his due - the guy is a stellar coach with a Natty.

msstate7
07-17-2020, 03:06 PM
Remember this board making fun of the brown hire? It's looking pretty solid right now.

BeardoMSU
07-17-2020, 03:12 PM
Remember this board making fun of the brown hire? It's looking pretty solid right now.

Its funny how Texas has made so many solid coaches look like clown shoes, lol.

Jack Lambert
07-17-2020, 03:18 PM

If I am not mistaken the last time Brown coached at NC they got as high as number 3 in the polls.

Homedawg
07-17-2020, 03:31 PM
Its funny how Texas has made so many solid coaches look like clown shoes, lol.

Mac won 158 games at a 77% clip at Texas and won a national title.............................

BeardoMSU
07-17-2020, 03:55 PM
Mac won 158 games at a 77% clip at Texas and won a national title.............................

Oh, I know. I was referring to how they eventually ran him off and how they've basically been a shit show since.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-17-2020, 04:02 PM
Oh, I know. I was referring to how they eventually ran him off and how they've basically been a shit show since.

I think it was time for Mack to go at Texas. He had a stretch where he won 10+ games 9 straight seasons. However, his last 4 Seasons he avg 7.5. I think his situation was similar to Les Miles. 2 guys who had done amazing things for the program it was just time to move on. They just haven't gotten the coaches to pick the train up back on the track of elite ness.

BeardoMSU
07-17-2020, 04:22 PM
I think it was time for Mack to go at Texas. He had a stretch where he won 10+ games 9 straight seasons. However, his last 4 Seasons he avg 7.5. I think his situation was similar to Les Miles. 2 guys who had done amazing things for the program it was just time to move on. They just haven't gotten the coaches to pick the train up back on the track of elite ness.

Yeah, I can agree with that. Good Les comparison, too.

HoopsDawg
07-17-2020, 04:56 PM
Great school, great location, Mack runs a country club.

Todd4State
07-17-2020, 07:44 PM
It would be nice if there was a generational class like that in Mississippi and we cleaned up house like that.

Cooterpoot
07-17-2020, 07:50 PM
NC is loaded with talent this year and Covid has killed recruiting, so they're staying home.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-17-2020, 08:01 PM
It would be nice if there was a generational class like that in Mississippi and we cleaned up house like that.

It would be a lot easier if LSU wasn't to our left & Bama/Auburn to our right.

BHildreth3
07-17-2020, 09:10 PM

Well, one, Mack Brown is outstanding recruiter in terms of communication. Secondly, they have very, very good recruiters:

Tommy Thigpen, Jay Bateman, Robert Gillespie and Stacy Searels are very good and I bet it doesn't hurt to have one of the best college corners in the history of NCAA in Dre Bly

Todd4State
07-17-2020, 09:34 PM
It would be a lot easier if LSU wasn't to our left & Bama/Auburn to our right.

I mean they have Clemson and Georgia right below them.

It would be nice to stop making excuses for recruiting in football for a change.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-17-2020, 10:50 PM
I mean they have Clemson and Georgia right below them.

It would be nice to stop making excuses for recruiting in football for a change.

Lol 3 Top 10 recruiting programs surrounding your borders is an excuse now? Sure.

Cooterpoot
07-17-2020, 11:44 PM
NC won't win shit. Mack Brown's old ass will probably retire before this class finishes. The man was incoherent on tv. NC would be down the recruiting rankings if it weren't for Covid.

Todd4State
07-18-2020, 12:13 AM
Lol 3 Top 10 recruiting programs surrounding your borders is an excuse now? Sure.

How many top 10 baseball programs border Mississippi? I can easily think of three.

SmokeyDawg
07-18-2020, 01:56 AM
I'm more upset with Maryland's class right now(#18). We need some of those DL commits

#3 wde, #12,16,20 DT
They can keep the 4 TE

Ifyouonlyknew
07-18-2020, 09:32 AM
How many top 10 baseball programs border Mississippi? I can easily think of three.

MSU is a top 10-15 baseball program. That's like comparing apples to computers.

viverlibre
07-18-2020, 09:36 AM
UNC has the most beautiful campus I have ever seen, plus it is interwoven with the town of Chapel Hill nicely. The have tons of money, are well located in the country and have a reputation as one of the top public universities in the country. Had Mac not left for Texas, UNC would be where Clempson is now.

Todd4State
07-18-2020, 05:02 PM
MSU is a top 10-15 baseball program. That's like comparing apples to computers.

We weren't in 2009 when we started to recruit better again. Our football program has had more winning seasons the past ten years than baseball too.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-18-2020, 08:22 PM
We weren't in 2009 when we started to recruit better again. Our football program has had more winning seasons the past ten years than baseball too.

So an elite program had a little down turn? Those things happen. We have been an upper level to elite program since the early 80'. Hence a Top 10-15 program. MSU football has never been a Top 10-15 program. Again you're comparisons aren't similar in any way.

ShotgunDawg
07-18-2020, 08:31 PM
So an elite program had a little down turn? Those things happen. We have been an upper level to elite program since the early 80'. Hence a Top 10-15 program. MSU football has never been a Top 10-15 program. Again you're comparisons aren't similar in any way.

I get what both of you are saying.

BB30
07-20-2020, 11:24 AM
Well, it would be nice to see someone give Clemson a consistent run for their money. The only team in the ACC that I thought would potentially have a chance to do that would be FSU.

Sucks for USC E.

I guess it probably isn't good for the SEC in terms of the ACC becoming a more competitive conference.

Miami is getting better
UNC seems to be getting better
Clemson is Clemson don't see them going anywhere.
FSU has the potential to be a consistent top 10 team.

If they could get Notre Dame to come into the fold completely they would have the start to a decent conference.

TUSK
07-20-2020, 05:13 PM

#BrokeByBammer