PDA

View Full Version : College Football Reporters Fall Into 1 of 2 Groups

ShotgunDawg
07-17-2020, 08:57 AM
From my observation, there are two groups of college football reporters & how they cover COVID & the sport in general is completely determined by which group they fall into.

Group 1. College football is a center piece of society in which family memories, college towns, & institutions are built upon along with showcasing the best sports environments that the United States & possibly the human race has to offer. These reporters see the cultural importance of college football.

Group 2. College football players are exploited & oppressed individuals that are used without compensation to fuel a center piece of society. These reporters inherently look at everything in college football from a skeptical standpoint & view most everything that makes a college football player different from a normal student as exploitation.

If you put each college football reporter into one of these two groups, you can predict the type of article they will write on all subjects.

Just a thought with really no overall point this morning.

DownwardDawg
07-17-2020, 09:04 AM
You absolutely nailed this one bud. +1

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ShotgunDawg again.

FISHDAWG
07-17-2020, 09:20 AM
you would think group #2 would be Pro since that's how they make a living ... There's not going to be a big need for them if there are no fall sports

ShotgunDawg
07-17-2020, 09:27 AM
you would think group #2 would be Pro since that's how they make a living ... There's not going to be a big need for them if there are no fall sports

Agree, but they just don't see it that way. They view their job as a chance to be a warrior to make something wrong in society right.

HoopsDawg
07-17-2020, 10:05 AM
And you have guys like Wolken who is the Danny Kannell of sports journalism and is just looking for clicks. The newspaper business collapsing has created a lot of sensationalism instead of solid reporting.

ShotgunDawg
07-17-2020, 10:08 AM
And you have guys like Wolken who is the Danny Kannell of sports journalism and is just looking for clicks. The newspaper business collapsing has created a lot of sensationalism instead of solid reporting.

My issue is that I just don't see how anyone wants to continue to read that stuff.

Is there a segment of college football fans that love to read bad news?

I'd think more positive stuff like Clay Travis would be far more consumed

Dawgology
07-17-2020, 10:13 AM
From my observation, there are two groups of college football reporters & how they cover COVID & the sport in general is completely determined by which group they fall into.

Group 1. College football is a center piece of society in which family memories, college towns, & institutions are built upon along with showcasing the best sports environments that the United States & possibly the human race has to offer. These reporters see the cultural importance of college football.

Group 2. College football players are exploited & oppressed individuals that are used without compensation to fuel a center piece of society. These reporters inherently look at everything in college football from a skeptical standpoint & view most everything that makes a college football player different from a normal student as exploitation.

If you put each college football reporter into one of these two groups, you can predict the type of article they will write on all subjects.

I’m wondering when a lot of the alarmist reporters will change their tune. It’s obvious that more than a few want football to not happen this fall. Surely they understand that will send them to the unemployment line along with thousands of others.

Johnson85
07-17-2020, 03:19 PM
I?m wondering when a lot of the alarmist reporters will change their tune. It?s obvious that more than a few want football to not happen this fall. Surely they understand that will send them to the unemployment line along with thousands of others.

Journalists are as a group not the smartest bunch. There are some exceptions, but they are swamped by the rest. There will absolutely be some that are arguing to not have sports surprised when they are furloughed or fired when we don't have sports.

BeardoMSU
07-17-2020, 03:22 PM
Group 3. "Not a Fan" douche-bag-ery**

Cowbell
07-17-2020, 03:51 PM

Who is Tyler Horka....

BeardoMSU
07-17-2020, 03:54 PM
Who is Tyler Horka....

Group 4....

https://media1.tenor.com/images/5900d5116ce9f29c401aa18ce3cae740/tenor.gif?itemid=11656351

ShotgunDawg
07-17-2020, 04:51 PM
Who is Tyler Horka....

Horka actually falls into group 3

Climbers who just go along with the people who can help their career.

Todd4State
07-18-2020, 11:49 PM
My issue is that I just don't see how anyone wants to continue to read that stuff.

Is there a segment of college football fans that love to read bad news?

I'd think more positive stuff like Clay Travis would be far more consumed
Because it's fun to make fun of how stupid they are.

Todd4State
07-18-2020, 11:50 PM
Journalists are as a group not the smartest bunch. There are some exceptions, but they are swamped by the rest. There will absolutely be some that are arguing to not have sports surprised when they are furloughed or fired when we don't have sports.

The fact that any jack wagon can start a blog and do essentially the same thing that they do as a hobby says a lot about their profession.

R2Dawg
07-19-2020, 04:33 PM

Yeah I think all kinds of views of the world come out when a crisis hits. Media spin on every subject is on steroids today.

Related to your post about being the center piece of society is an interesting take. On the short term, this is true. Our society has a huge piece of the economy built around entertainment in general, sports being part of it. While it would be an economic adjustment like the stockmarket may adjust to necessary changes over time, sports is not a necessary or critical part of society long term. Another words, sports in itself is not necessary to put food on the table or roof over our heads. Many other type jobs are though. In the short term though, every job is essential to provide a living for our service economy.

BeardoMSU
07-19-2020, 10:21 PM

Apparently, group 3 decided to delete "their" twitter account today. Shame.**

https://i.makeagif.com/media/6-12-2015/AH0W90.gif