PDA

View Full Version : MSU QBS best that never was

BB30
07-15-2020, 09:38 AM
So was trying to come up with a state football topic that hasn't been discussed in a while. I am referring to QBS but you can open it up to which ever position you would like.

Who do you think or remember back about that should have been better than they were or got dealt a rough hand with a bad supporting cast?

Mine would probably be Omarr Conner. If he had come a few years later under Mullen I feel like he could have been one hell of a threat at QB. Feel like he showed up a little before his time. 5-7 years later and he would have been hell on wheels. Always enjoyed him as a player because it seemed like he would do whatever was asked of him that could help the team. Always seemed like a team first kind of guy.

Another that isn't a qb IMO would be Dontae Walker for different reasons. If he could have kept his head on straight and kept the weight off I think he would have had a chance to be a top 3 running back at State. The guy showed flashes but just couldn't put it all together.

Thoughts?

Coach34
07-15-2020, 09:57 AM
Sleepy getting hurt in 1992 probably cost us an SEC West title.

Kevin Fant being born 2 years too late hurt him. Him at QB in 98 and 99 would have made those teams championship contenders

CLTDAWG94
07-15-2020, 10:05 AM
Todd Jordan

Extendedcab
07-15-2020, 10:07 AM
How about Dave Marler (great game against Bama in 78 but officiating screwed us) or John Bond (different offense with the triple option). I also like Sleepy Robinson!

BrunswickDawg
07-15-2020, 10:09 AM
Rodney Hudson - guy was top 5 all time in Georgia history for TD Passes and led LaGrange to a State Title over Valdosta and were named USA Today National Champions.

Played in 3 games in '92, completed 1 pass, scored 1 rushing TD on 52 yards rushing, never seen again.

I assume he was just one of those guys who was lightening in a bottle in high school and was never an SEC talent. But, man the hype of a kid with that pedigree coming in was huge.

BuckyIsAB****
07-15-2020, 10:10 AM
Nick Turner

DEDawg
07-15-2020, 10:24 AM
Definitely Omar. Didn't have the raw talent as Vick but would have looked like him in college under Mullen

Captain Falcon
07-15-2020, 10:24 AM
Tyler Russell. Good QB for us that doesn't get remembered as fairly because Dak overtook him. Not a good fit in a Mullen offense but still had a productive career, threw for 42 career TD's. Definitely would've fit better in a pro style offense and I also think he could've put up huge numbers in a system like the Air Raid.

ShotgunDawg
07-15-2020, 10:34 AM
Michael Henig.... guy was a straight baller & really durable

BrunswickDawg
07-15-2020, 10:39 AM
I'll always appreciate Tyson Lee's guts as a 5'2"*** QB in the SEC - but if Wes Carroll sticks around for '09, I think we go bowling that year

Liverpooldawg
07-15-2020, 10:44 AM
Don Smith. He was great but he played on bad teams.

viverlibre
07-15-2020, 10:47 AM
Todd Jordan

I always thought he had an NFL arm. His receivers dropped a lot of balls that were on target.

Didn't he punt the ball a mile too?

gtowndawg
07-15-2020, 11:04 AM
Polish Rifle

BB30
07-15-2020, 11:22 AM

Kevin Fant being born 2 years too late hurt him. Him at QB in 98 and 99 would have made those teams championship contenders

Yea, there was a ton of hype around Fant. Dude just got abused in college. Shame he didn't arrive a couple of years sooner. Seems to be our MO.

parabrave
07-15-2020, 11:30 AM

100% correct. But Robby Mink, the best that never was/

StarkVegasSteve
07-15-2020, 11:32 AM
It's got to be Omar. I also would've loved 4 full years of Relf under Mullen. 2010 Relf was one of the better QBs in the SEC. Heck we were a freak Vick Ballard fumble from 10 wins.

FISHDAWG
07-15-2020, 11:46 AM
Tyler Russell. Good QB for us that doesn't get remembered as fairly because Dak overtook him. Not a good fit in a Mullen offense but still had a productive career, threw for 42 career TD's. Definitely would've fit better in a pro style offense and I also think he could've put up huge numbers in a system like the Air Raid.

I was always a T Russell fan and I think he had one of the most accurate arms in recent memory (after maturing from throwing several in interceptions early in his career) but either just wasn't mobile enough or maybe needed better line protection... he also needed that one great receiver but he was a good bulldog through and through .... have to say that my vote goes for John Bond (ever so slightly) over Dak even tho it was Dak that brought us the attention we have today .... I first fell in love with state while Bruce Threadgill was at the helm so he will always be a favorite as well

ETA - reading fail on original post ... just skipped over the part that said Never Was .... but I'm not retyping

Saltydog
07-15-2020, 11:49 AM
Hands down Rodney Hudson. May be the only 5 star QB State ever signed. Never panned out.

Matt3467
07-15-2020, 01:26 PM
Nick Turner

Didn't he end up at Troy? I believe another RB did as well. I think it was Montrell Connor.

MSUDAWGFAN
07-15-2020, 01:50 PM
Didn't he end up at Troy? I believe another RB did as well. I think it was Montrell Connor.

I think you are thinking of his teammate Darren Williams (RIP). Nick Turner (RIP) was killed in Atlanta (but they never found his body.

As far as this thread goes, I'm going to go with one of the other Parade All Americans from that class - Marvin Byrdsong. 4 Parade All Americans and only Jerious Norwood panned out.

Todd4State
07-15-2020, 02:35 PM
Kevin Fant was my pick too. At least he beat Eli in 2001.

dawgman
07-15-2020, 03:24 PM
Hal Chealader JC All America QB from Calif Played one year at State 1971 was the replacement of Tommy Phar

Johnny Booty Father of Josh, Abram and John David From Shreveport and played at Arkansas and JC prior to his one year at State.

Both oh these QBS were greatly hyped as a recruiting coup for State and didn't pan out

Matt3467
07-15-2020, 04:04 PM
I think you are thinking of his teammate Darren Williams (RIP). Nick Turner (RIP) was killed in Atlanta (but they never found his body.

As far as this thread goes, I'm going to go with one of the other Parade All Americans from that class - Marvin Byrdsong. 4 Parade All Americans and only Jerious Norwood panned out.

Maybe. I was thinking he was one of the RBs that Croom kicked off the team when he arrived and that he ended up at Troy.

tcdog70
07-15-2020, 04:06 PM
Rodney Hudson - guy was top 5 all time in Georgia history for TD Passes and led LaGrange to a State Title over Valdosta and were named USA Today National Champions.

Played in 3 games in '92, completed 1 pass, scored 1 rushing TD on 52 yards rushing, never seen again.

I assume he was just one of those guys who was lightening in a bottle in high school and was never an SEC talent. But, man the hype of a kid with that pedigree coming in was huge.

the best thing about Rodney is we got Walt Harris

Turfdawg67
07-15-2020, 04:12 PM
I don't remember the hype, but I'll say Kirk Presley. I was so pumped that a relative of Elvis, and supposedly a pretty good QB, was coming to State.

Commercecomet24
07-15-2020, 04:21 PM
Kevin Fant had the skill set to be an elite QB but he spent his entire career running for his life because our ol was terrible for him. I remember an lsu game where he was getting sacked before he could even complete his drops. Dang shame we couldn't give him
better.

Commercecomet24
07-15-2020, 04:24 PM

I had high hopes Hudson was going to be the qb we had always been waiting for. I think we eventually moved him to safety but he didn't play much. Hate that didn't work out.

Todd4State
07-15-2020, 05:15 PM
I don't remember the hype, but I'll say Kirk Presley. I was so pumped that a relative of Elvis, and supposedly a pretty good QB, was coming to State.

I was much more excited about him as a baseball player.

In hindsight knowing how much he was overworked in Legion Ball he would have been injured most of his time here as well.

Todd4State
07-15-2020, 05:16 PM
I had high hopes Hudson was going to be the qb we had always been waiting for. I think we eventually moved him to safety but he didn't play much. Hate that didn't work out.

Hudson had trouble staying out of trouble. I think he ended up at UAB as a QB back when UAB was just moving up to D-1 and they had Watson Brown as their coach.

Commercecomet24
07-15-2020, 05:23 PM
Hudson had trouble staying out of trouble. I think he ended up at UAB as a QB back when UAB was just moving up to D-1 and they had Watson Brown as their coach.

Now that you mention it I believe I remember him having some "issues"'at State. I think he did transfer over there but I'm old and my memory ain't what it used to be!

BrunswickDawg
07-15-2020, 05:42 PM
Now that you mention it I believe I remember him having some "issues"'at State. I think he did transfer over there but I'm old and my memory ain't what it used to be!

I was at State then - my memory is pretty hazy about that period, but not cause of my age.

Commercecomet24
07-15-2020, 06:26 PM
I was at State then - my memory is pretty hazy about that period, but not cause of my age.

I understand!

Heston
07-15-2020, 07:37 PM

Didn't he get caught carrying a gun into the Hump, or something like that?

R2Dawg
07-15-2020, 09:37 PM
Kevin Fant was my pick too. At least he beat Eli in 2001.

Yeah Fant was just on the wrong team, poor guy ran for his life every down but he would still throw for 300.

Sleepy and Don Smith were both pretty special talents. Wonder what Mullen could have done with those two? Would have been special.

Captain Falcon
07-15-2020, 10:08 PM
The unfortunate thing about Fant is we actually had weapons at the skill positions on those teams, but we were such a disaster on the o-line and on defense that it didn't matter. It wasn't just Fant we wasted, guys like Norwood, Justin Griffith, Donald Lee, Justin Jenkins, Terrell Grindle, all quality players that were stuck on terrible teams.

Back to the original "best QB that never was" question... I think there's a case to be made for Keytoan Thompson. Had he come along 2-3 years sooner or had Mullen stuck around another couple of years the perception of him might be a lot different, he seemed like somebody that Mullen could've groomed into a very productive dual threat QB much like he did with Dak and Fitz. KT is talented, just unfortunately had to go through two coaching changes and he has a skill set that only fits a very specific kind of offense.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
07-15-2020, 10:38 PM
[QUOTE=MSUDAWGFAN;1260091]I think you are thinking of his teammate Darren Williams (RIP). Nick Turner (RIP) was killed in Atlanta (but they never found his body.

Nick was kicked off the team for passing counterfeit bills in Starkville, moved back to GA and was murdered a few years later. I believe Dapoo transferred to Jacksonville State and finished his career out. Moved to Atlanta and was shot a few years later. Both were great talents but had big issues.

MSUDAWGFAN
07-16-2020, 09:54 AM
[QUOTE=MSUDAWGFAN;1260091]I think you are thinking of his teammate Darren Williams (RIP). Nick Turner (RIP) was killed in Atlanta (but they never found his body.

Nick was kicked off the team for passing counterfeit bills in Starkville, moved back to GA and was murdered a few years later. I believe Dapoo transferred to Jacksonville State and finished his career out. Moved to Atlanta and was shot a few years later. Both were great talents but had big issues.

I remember Nick passing counterfeit $100 bills. It was at the Hunt Club. He had bleached $5 bills and printed off the 100 bill image on it. Passed a few and got change, then the Hunt Club owner got suspicious and looked a little closer. I believe that happened under Sherrill, but Croom kicked him off after he had missed practice among other things.

You are right about Williams going to Jacksonville State. I knew he went to a smaller school in Alabama after he left MSU. Didn't know he was killed in Atlanta, but knew he was murdered.

Sad situation in both cases.

R2Dawg
07-16-2020, 12:34 PM
The unfortunate thing about Fant is we actually had weapons at the skill positions on those teams, but we were such a disaster on the o-line and on defense that it didn't matter. It wasn't just Fant we wasted, guys like Norwood, Justin Griffith, Donald Lee, Justin Jenkins, Terrell Grindle, all quality players that were stuck on terrible teams.

Back to the original "best QB that never was" question... I think there's a case to be made for Keytoan Thompson. Had he come along 2-3 years sooner or had Mullen stuck around another couple of years the perception of him might be a lot different, he seemed like somebody that Mullen could've groomed into a very productive dual threat QB much like he did with Dak and Fitz. KT is talented, just unfortunately had to go through two coaching changes and he has a skill set that only fits a very specific kind of offense.

Boy, agree on K.Thompson as well. He had the tools to be the next great MSU QB and possibly break some Dak and Fitz records.

lastmajordog
07-16-2020, 12:37 PM
Dave Marler under Leach.......indefensible....

JohnHenryBonham
07-16-2020, 01:08 PM
Michael Henig.... guy was a straight baller & really durable

Lololol

deltadawg63
07-16-2020, 01:12 PM
Of note, Rodney was the big time recruit and his high school teammate who was lightly recruited also signed. Walt Harris became an NFL All-Pro and enjoyed a solid NFL career. Just goes to show that recruiting is an inexact science. Often hard to measure what a player's mental makeup and drive is.

Maroonthirteen
07-16-2020, 11:04 PM
Todd Jordan

Yeah. A drop back passer that came along when we switched to an option offense.