PDA

View Full Version : The Country Needs Sports So Bad Right Now

ShotgunDawg
07-12-2020, 09:59 AM
From the Woj email a couple of days ago telling a US Senator to 17 off, to DeSean Jackson's anti-Semitic comments, to Drew Brees being blasted by the left for saying that he would stand for the national anthem, for goodness sakes we need sports to come back & be an emotional outlet for people.

Politics are important, more important than sports, but so is food & too much of an important thing becomes harmful when there is no distraction. The truth is that this virus has taken away people's outlet. People now have more emotional energy stored up in side of them but with no place to release it.... except for politics.

I'm not a doomsday type & believe that all this will turn fine & the US won't tear itself apart in the process, but, for me, I feel like I've learned sport's role in society through this pandemic & it's ultimate role is to provide an emotional outlet people so that they don't store up all that emotion for something that makes them far angrier & bold.

The country needs sports. We all need sports so that we're watching sports, highlights, etc instead of cable news networks. We all need sports so that the twitter mob starts talking about something else besides politics.

Dear SEC, NFL, MLB, (the NBA can go to hell), please for heaven's sakes find a way to bring sports back immediately.

Sincerely,

'Gun

bluelightstar
07-12-2020, 10:10 AM
The average person isn’t watching 24/7 cable news or hanging on to tweet after tweet. It’ll be fine.

msstate7
07-12-2020, 10:16 AM
Then throw in a presidential election, and this crap becomes unbearable.

ShotgunDawg
07-12-2020, 10:19 AM
Then throw in a presidential election, and this crap becomes unbearable.

The country needs people to punch walls & throw remotes when their QB throws a pick rather doing worse when they don't win the election

RiverCityDawg
07-12-2020, 10:56 AM
The average person isn’t watching 24/7 cable news or hanging on to tweet after tweet. It’ll be fine.

Maybe not, but more people are now than ever because they aren't out and about like they otherwise would be. Actual human interaction are is replaced or at least heavily supplemented by social media interaction. The extreme perspectives are magnified and elevated in a way that many people feel like they have to "pick a side" on every issue, and those sides are already defined for them.

I'm a guy that prefers nuanced positions and argues against both sides first to decide what I think makes the most sense. It feels like there's not a lot of room for that right now. Either you're a racist that thinks coronavirus is a hoax or you're a mask-wearing ***** that wants to cancel everything. Most don't subscribe to those extremes as being the only options but those voices aren't as loud.

And to msstate7's point, it's going to get worse as we get closer to the election.

confucius say
07-12-2020, 11:44 AM
Carlson, who isn't even that good on tv, broke the record for ratings in the history of cable news last month. That prob doesn't happen if sports are on every night

Commercecomet24
07-12-2020, 02:10 PM
We need sports. It's an outlet of stress and brief vacation from everyday stuff for a few hours a day. Lot of folks need the mental therapy sports provides.

hopsondawg22
07-12-2020, 02:14 PM
We need sports. It's an outlet of stress and brief vacation from everyday stuff for a few hours a day. Lot of folks need the mental therapy sports provides.

Bread and circuses.....

Commercecomet24
07-12-2020, 02:20 PM
Bread and circuses.....

It's not everyday you see a Juvenal quote. Excellent.

Todd4State
07-12-2020, 03:31 PM
The issue I have is you can't tell me it's Ok to protest and then tell me that football can't happen. And then blame it on people not wearing a mask. It doesn't pass the bullshit test and the media thinks that we're all stupid when the reality is they're the ones who are idiots.

ShotgunDawg
07-12-2020, 03:39 PM
The issue I have is you can't tell me it's Ok to protest and then tell me that football can't happen. And then blame it on people not wearing a mask. It doesn't pass the bullshit test and the media thinks that we're all stupid when the reality is they're the ones who are idiots.

Problem is that because the protesting isn't "official" & practically leaderless, there is no one to sue if someone gets sick.

With sports, there are schools & owners that could be sued if someone gets sick.

It all leads back to lawyers eventually.

Todd4State
07-12-2020, 03:41 PM
Problem is that because the protesting isn't "official" & practically leaderless, there is no one to sue if someone gets sick.

With sports, there are schools & owners that could be sued if someone gets sick.

It all leads back to lawyers eventually.

Then put a disclaimer on the ticket that if you choose to go to the game and get sick or hurt it's not the organization's fault. And there is zero way to prove that a person got COVID at a football game.

WinningIsRelentless
07-12-2020, 04:25 PM
We need to do away with 24/7 politically backed new channels/media outlets using nothing more than shock jocks to drive ratings.

ShotgunDawg
07-12-2020, 04:33 PM
We need to do away with 24/7 politically backed new channels/media outlets using nothing more than shock jocks to drive ratings.

I don't disagree, but how exactly do you do that without infringing on the 1st amendment?

ShotgunDawg
07-12-2020, 04:35 PM
Then put a disclaimer on the ticket that if you choose to go to the game and get sick or hurt it's not the organization's fault. And there is zero way to prove that a person got COVID at a football game.

But what do you do with the players?

Do you put a disclaimer in for them that says "You play at your own risk, but lose your scholarship if you don't play?"

This is where mandatory 4 years scholarships are really needed in college sports. Under a 4 year scholarship rule, players could opt out of playing this fall while not risking their scholarship

Jarius
07-12-2020, 04:42 PM

Do you put a disclaimer in for them that says "You play at your own risk, but lose your scholarship if you don't play?"

This is where mandatory 4 years scholarships are really needed in college sports. Under a 4 year scholarship rule, players could opt out of playing this fall while not risking their scholarship

The risk from COVID for them is too low for them to deserve to keep their scholarship if they opt out of playing. Just because idiots on TV think it’s risky for players to be playing football due to covid doesn’t change that opinion being completely idiotic and based in zero factual evidence at all. They rarely go home during the season anyway so it’s not like they will be carrying it home to grandma and grandpa.

ShotgunDawg
07-12-2020, 04:53 PM
The risk from COVID for them is too low for them to deserve to keep their scholarship if they opt out of playing. Just because idiots on TV think it’s risky for players to be playing football due to covid doesn’t change that opinion being completely idiotic and based in zero factual evidence at all. They rarely go home during the season anyway so it’s not like they will be carrying it home to grandma and grandpa.

Completely agree, but I'm trying to see this from a legal standpoint & I'm not sure if "The risk from COVID for them is too low for them to deserve to keep their scholarship if they opt out of playing" would hold up in court

FWIW, I don't think many if any players would opt out of playing, but by offering them that ability, the school relieves itself of much of the responsibility

WinningIsRelentless
07-12-2020, 04:55 PM
I don't disagree, but how exactly do you do that without infringing on the 1st amendment?

I wish I knew.

Jarius
07-12-2020, 05:01 PM
Completely agree, but I'm trying to see this from a legal standpoint & I'm not sure if "The risk from COVID for them is too low for them to deserve to keep their scholarship if they opt out of playing" would hold up in court

FWIW, I don't think many if any players would opt out of playing, but by offering them that ability, the school relieves itself of much of the responsibility

Of course it would hold up. If we start making schools honor scholarships for players that quit for health reasons that are completely insane, like a 20 year old being scared of dying of COVID, then we open up a big Pandora’s box of frivolous BS. It’s not a legit reason not to play and keep your scholarship.

Todd4State
07-12-2020, 07:42 PM

You do like MLB and tell them if they don't feel safe then stay home. And you make it clear that the only exception is this pandemic so no players will try to do something shady in the future.

Based on what I am seeing on Twitter the majority would and want to play.

dantheman4248
07-12-2020, 08:17 PM
The country doesn't need sports. You need sports. Your reality is threatened and you want everything for you to go back to normal.

Your normal is considered a luxury to others in this country. That's not an indictment on you, that's an indictment on this country. Your normal should be everyone's normal. Shouldn't have to think every interaction with a cop is more dangerous than driving through the hood.

It's funny. People begged for the "rioting and looting" to stop because they said its diluting the message. Well it stopped and now the protests get no coverage while the cops ended their curfew so stopped having any free reason to beat protestors. The three cops that murdered Breonna Taylor STILL walk free and there is no work towards any actual change. Just fluff shit like organizational name changes.

Almost like the thing "normal americans" wanted (rioting stopping) allowed them to ignore it. It's not until you disrupt normal Americans that people take shit seriously. Look at Corona. Wasn't taken seriously until the NBA said nope. Sports comes back and people will just ignore covid protocols and we'll be back to normal: cops beating and killing unchecked and as long it's not someone you care about, you could give a **** about covid.

ShotgunDawg
07-12-2020, 09:08 PM
The country doesn't need sports. You need sports. Your reality is threatened and you want everything for you to go back to normal.

Your normal is considered a luxury to others in this country. That's not an indictment on you, that's an indictment on this country. Your normal should be everyone's normal. Shouldn't have to think every interaction with a cop is more dangerous than driving through the hood.

It's funny. People begged for the "rioting and looting" to stop because they said its diluting the message. Well it stopped and now the protests get no coverage while the cops ended their curfew so stopped having any free reason to beat protestors. The three cops that murdered Breonna Taylor STILL walk free and there is no work towards any actual change. Just fluff shit like organizational name changes.

Almost like the thing "normal americans" wanted (rioting stopping) allowed them to ignore it. It's not until you disrupt normal Americans that people take shit seriously. Look at Corona. Wasn't taken seriously until the NBA said nope. Sports comes back and people will just ignore covid protocols and we'll be back to normal: cops beating and killing unchecked and as long it's not someone you care about, you could give a **** about covid.

I feel the passion man. I have no idea what's like to be in a black person's shoes & don't pretend to.

I would ask though: what do black tangibly want? Saying equality doesn't work because that's subjective & thus the protests never stop. Also, stopping all cop/black people killings is a tough one as well due to it not statistically being a problem. I'm sure we can improve things with more police training, but it's highly likely that there will likely be at least one bad apple cop somewhere that'll do something stupid every once in a while.

I hear your anger & frankly don't disagree with it, but I would like to know what would need to happen for you to not be angry anymore?

Thanks

DownwardDawg
07-12-2020, 10:51 PM

This is me. I need sports bad

dantheman4248
07-13-2020, 12:19 AM
I feel the passion man. I have no idea what's like to be in a black person's shoes & don't pretend to.

I would ask though: what do black tangibly want? Saying equality doesn't work because that's subjective & thus the protests never stop. Also, stopping all cop/black people killings is a tough one as well due to it not statistically being a problem. I'm sure we can improve things with more police training, but it's highly likely that there will likely be at least one bad apple cop somewhere that'll do something stupid every once in a while.

I hear your anger & frankly don't disagree with it, but I would like to know what would need to happen for you to not be angry anymore?

Thanks

Ban chokeholds.

Require cameras at all times. Partner with twitch if you have to. I've heard a lot of bs run around against this and looking at the capabilities of streaming sites, I call horseshit. (Internet companies and phone companies should be able to reach everywhere so along with that and satellites we should be able to get all the data out there. Some entrepreneur with the capital should see this need and make a smart play.)

Delegate police into separate departments that have nothing to do with each other. Traffic cops should only do traffic. They are only looking for speeding / traffic violations. No searches. Smell / dogs is not legitimate.

Legalize and regulate most drugs. Victimless crimes should not result in jail time. Fix the 13th amendment. Slavery should be illegal in all forms. No loophole for prisoners (this would have the biggest side effect of effectively combatting racism.)

Lethal force should not be the default. If a cop has to have his hand on his pistol to do a traffic stop then that scared pos needs to be nowhere near a gun.

No leniency (qualified immunity) that is so egregiously allowing abuse by police. They are trained extra. They should be expected to handle themselves better than the average human. So why do they get easier treatment?

Take away all the toy spending. Tanks. Sonic abuse machines. Riot gear. It's like they are ready to go to war w/ the populace.

If good cops want to be seen as good then don't defend bad cops. Otherwise you are complicit and guilty by association as well as aiding and abetting.

Lot of these steps are easy to take now and can iron out kinks and harder ones later. They won't even go for the easy ones that should be readily agreeable. Even after all the protests, riots, and looting.

msstate7
07-13-2020, 06:15 AM
Breathe Act wants reparations, disband police in 5 years, no federal prisons, no ICE, and no gang data base.

bluelightstar
07-13-2020, 08:24 AM
Breathe Act wants reparations, disband police in 5 years, no federal prisons, no ICE, and no gang data base.

There's dumb 17 legislation introduced everyday that's going nowhere. Judging the average Dem based on something introduced by Tlaib is as ludicrous as judging the average Republican based on Steve King. I promise, if people stop looking to be politically angry all the time, they'd see we aren't as polarized as your loud Facebook friends say.

TrapGame
07-13-2020, 08:25 AM
This country needs a Xanax and Jesus.

Political Hack
07-13-2020, 08:29 AM
Exacerbating the issue to relieve stress doesn't seem like the right move to me.

BeardoMSU
07-13-2020, 08:45 AM
There's dumb 17 legislation introduced everyday that's going nowhere. Judging the average Dem based on something introduced by Tlaib is as ludicrous as judging the average Republican based on Steve King. I promise, if people stop looking to be politically angry all the time, they'd see we aren't as polarized as your loud Facebook friends say.

Yep.

https://media.tenor.com/images/9f0dc2799c71a193803a78b81d9328fb/tenor.gif

ShotgunDawg
07-13-2020, 08:49 AM
Ban chokeholds.

Require cameras at all times. Partner with twitch if you have to. I've heard a lot of bs run around against this and looking at the capabilities of streaming sites, I call horseshit. (Internet companies and phone companies should be able to reach everywhere so along with that and satellites we should be able to get all the data out there. Some entrepreneur with the capital should see this need and make a smart play.)

Delegate police into separate departments that have nothing to do with each other. Traffic cops should only do traffic. They are only looking for speeding / traffic violations. No searches. Smell / dogs is not legitimate.

Legalize and regulate most drugs. Victimless crimes should not result in jail time. Fix the 13th amendment. Slavery should be illegal in all forms. No loophole for prisoners (this would have the biggest side effect of effectively combatting racism.)

Lethal force should not be the default. If a cop has to have his hand on his pistol to do a traffic stop then that scared pos needs to be nowhere near a gun.

No leniency (qualified immunity) that is so egregiously allowing abuse by police. They are trained extra. They should be expected to handle themselves better than the average human. So why do they get easier treatment?

Take away all the toy spending. Tanks. Sonic abuse machines. Riot gear. It's like they are ready to go to war w/ the populace.

If good cops want to be seen as good then don't defend bad cops. Otherwise you are complicit and guilty by association as well as aiding and abetting.

Lot of these steps are easy to take now and can iron out kinks and harder ones later. They won't even go for the easy ones that should be readily agreeable. Even after all the protests, riots, and looting.

Some decent ideas here.

- I'm fine with legalizing Marijuana but addictive drugs higher than Marijuana have no place in society. 90% of crime is drug related. So, it isn't a victimless crime. Not even close.

- It's important to remember that the cop has a right to protect themselves & go home to their family. By law, a cop has a +1 rule when it comes to altercations to give the cop in the upper hand. If the criminal has a fist, the cop gets a baton. If the criminal has a bat, the cop gets a taser, if the criminal has a taser, the cop gets a guy. The cop has the right to a +1.

- I don't know what heavy cop equipment is even an issue here. None of that has been used in any of these cases. If anything, that equipment works far more as a deterrent than it's actually used

- If having a guy is within the +1 law, then lethal force is absolutely on the table. If it's just a traffic stop, then probably not.

Some good ideas here, but I think it's important to realize that the cop has a right to live & protect himself as well.

dantheman4248
07-13-2020, 08:14 PM
Some decent ideas here.

- I'm fine with legalizing Marijuana but addictive drugs higher than Marijuana have no place in society. 90% of crime is drug related. So, it isn't a victimless crime. Not even close.

- It's important to remember that the cop has a right to protect themselves & go home to their family. By law, a cop has a +1 rule when it comes to altercations to give the cop in the upper hand. If the criminal has a fist, the cop gets a baton. If the criminal has a bat, the cop gets a taser, if the criminal has a taser, the cop gets a guy. The cop has the right to a +1.

- I don't know what heavy cop equipment is even an issue here. None of that has been used in any of these cases. If anything, that equipment works far more as a deterrent than it's actually used

- If having a guy is within the +1 law, then lethal force is absolutely on the table. If it's just a traffic stop, then probably not.

Some good ideas here, but I think it's important to realize that the cop has a right to live & protect himself as well.

I'm not saying make meth legal per se. My main overall point that I've settled on myself is that the prison system is the driving factor that if reformed would have the domino effect of fixing a lot of issues wrong with our society.

If only violent crime offenders went to jail (and then weren't necessarily forced into slavery at that point) then I believe a lot of these interactions would be more peaceful. A cop catches you with crack and now it's a trip to rehab / a place where you do community service as your job instead of doing hard time in prison makes someone think twice before turning the situation violent to escape. Once you're in the prison system, you are way too likely to go back in, no matter the crime.

"90% of crime is drug related. So it isn't a victimless crime." Was there supposed to be a qualifier to that 90%? Because as it stands if true, that statement says a whole lot when you think critically about the 13th amendment allowing slavery for those who commit crimes. Almost like we had to come up with new crimes to keep the free prison labor.

+1 is something that is nice in theory but I'm not so sure it works as good as it should in practice. What's the perfect answer here? I'm not sure. But I am very averse to anyone being J/J/E. We have due process for a reason.

Heavy cop equipment is an issue in the monetary department mainly. We spend so much on that but so little on teachers. That's what my gripe is there. Especially for the "how could we pay for extra XYZ crowd."

Following the dollar is always key and the dollar is made off the slave labor as always. Has never changed, we just decided that instead of black people being slaves it's now "bad" people.

R2Dawg
07-13-2020, 08:31 PM

Yep

R2Dawg
07-13-2020, 08:35 PM

I agree with the first part that some people are willing to do whatever to get their sports back. I am to the point now, I could care less. Yeah I'd like it back without the political grandstanding or whatever but that ain't gonna happen.

However, their is no movement of justice. There is no truth to those protesting that black lives matter or any lives matter. There have been no protest over the countless people mostly black killed in these cities since the rioting started. They don't care and the movement is complete hypocrisy. Only goal is to destroy America and its ideals which are noble and unparalleled in civilized societies of world history. That is not what any of the BLM group wants.

Commercecomet24
07-13-2020, 08:44 PM

Yes and an enema wouldn't hurt either.

BeardoMSU
07-13-2020, 09:05 PM
Yes and an enema wouldn't hurt either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKofnVkUwBA

Commercecomet24
07-13-2020, 09:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKofnVkUwBA

Beardo, you're still the funniest dude on here! Bless you!

DownwardDawg
07-13-2020, 10:23 PM
Beardo, you're still the funniest dude on here! Bless you!

I have to agree!!!

Cooterpoot
07-13-2020, 10:34 PM
The country needs legalized weed. It would chill everybody out.

DownwardDawg
07-13-2020, 10:43 PM

Between bourbon, IPA’s, and then weed...... I don’t know if I would make it!!!

Commercecomet24
07-13-2020, 10:58 PM

Where you been man? I was getting worried about you.

dawgday166
07-13-2020, 11:18 PM

Thanks

He's explained it before. He had some tough breaks and hates everything now and feels he shouldn't have to work to live.

But he was an idiot before all that happened and nothing has changed. A lot of people would get smarter .. not dano.

TUSK
07-13-2020, 11:39 PM

Dude, I've not read a post that lengthy in a very long time...

If you could do this every week. I wouldn't miss football!

dantheman4248
07-14-2020, 12:23 AM
Dude, I've not read a post that lengthy in a very long time...

If you could do this every week. I wouldn't miss football!

Imagine how long I would talk if there was sports. Might even start a podcast.

was21
07-14-2020, 09:47 AM
The world needs a vaccine for the covid more than the country needs sports.