PDA

View Full Version : Professional sports - COVID

MetEdDawg
07-05-2020, 05:53 PM
Milwaukee Bucks shut down practice faculty after Friday's round of COVID testing. Won't join back together until flight on Thursday to fly to Orlando.

Braves have had at least 4 positive COVID tests, one of which is Freddie Freeman who is apparently having an extremely difficult time dealing with it according to his wife.

A number of MLB players and coaches are stating they are opting out and some basketball coaches are as well.

I know this is just one organization in both NBA and MLB, but this is not the last of it. If some major stars start testing positive and start opting out, I think this experiment is going to end.

I'll be very interested to hear what Freddie has to say if/when he recovers. He's young and in shape and he's apparently doing very poorly right now.

KOdawg1
07-05-2020, 05:56 PM
With cases spiking up, I can't see sports happening. I'm not arguing that they shouldn't happen, but I just can't see it.

Liverpooldawg
07-05-2020, 06:02 PM
It's interesting because in the EPL they aren't having that big of a problem with it.

Homedawg
07-05-2020, 06:05 PM
With cases spiking up, I can't see sports happening. I'm not arguing that they shouldn't happen, but I just can't see it.

I honestly don't think you will see a " full"season of mlb Or the nba. With that said, so are they never going to play?? Be ok w it once there is a vaccine?? Or maybe Covid just vanishes into air.....

Todd4State
07-05-2020, 06:10 PM
I honestly don't think you will see a " full"season of mlb Or the nba. With that said, so are they never going to play?? Be ok w it once there is a vaccine?? Or maybe Covid just vanishes into air.....

They'll be OK after November when the media says so.

KOdawg1
07-05-2020, 06:31 PM

Like Todd said, a lot of this goes away after the election. Idk the answers though.

Homedawg
07-05-2020, 06:40 PM

Yeah.....

msstate7
07-05-2020, 06:41 PM
Freddie much better today

confucius say
07-05-2020, 06:46 PM
I read freeman was sick two days and is much better now.

confucius say
07-05-2020, 06:53 PM
If you like positivity, July 4 was the lowest number of covid deaths since March 23. Not a peep about that stat on the national media shows today. That's why people don't trust the media.

Yea numbers are lower on the weekend and higher Tuesday-Thursday. But we just finished the 10th straight week of declining deaths on a rolling 7 day average. The cdc is contemplating removing epidemic status from covid because it accounts for less than 6% of all deaths in the country.

Commercecomet24
07-05-2020, 06:57 PM

That's probably an accurate time frame

Commercecomet24
07-05-2020, 06:58 PM
Freddie much better today

Yeah saw an interview with snit and he said Freddie was doing much better said the first 2 days he felt like he had been hit by a truck but much better now.

msstate7
07-05-2020, 07:07 PM
If you like positivity, July 4 was the lowest number of covid deaths since March 23. Not a peep about that stat on the national media shows today. That's why people don't trust the media.

Yea numbers are lower on the weekend and higher Tuesday-Thursday. But we just finished the 10th straight week of declining deaths on a rolling 7 day average. The cdc is contemplating removing epidemic status from covid because it accounts for less than 6% of all deaths in the country.

Gotta chance to have even less deaths today than yesterday

msstate7
07-05-2020, 07:18 PM
Saw this on Facebook...

https://i.postimg.cc/wMcb7sw9/C9-FF7000-42-AF-4-AAA-BE88-0-C71-DAF33580.jpg (https://postimg.cc/dZ39fDMf)

ETA... and I'm not saying I believe this, but I did think it was a neat observation.

Cowbell
07-05-2020, 10:00 PM
Saw this on Facebook...

https://i.postimg.cc/wMcb7sw9/C9-FF7000-42-AF-4-AAA-BE88-0-C71-DAF33580.jpg (https://postimg.cc/dZ39fDMf)

ETA... and I'm not saying I believe this, but I did think it was a neat observation.
This. Is. Solid. Good. Thanks for sharing.

Gutter Cobreh
07-05-2020, 10:01 PM

I thought the virus went away as temperatures increased??? Isn't that what we were told in March???

BeardoMSU
07-05-2020, 10:06 PM
I thought the virus went away as temperatures increased??? Isn't that what we were told in March???

It's like Peter Pan; if you believe it, you'll keep clapping**

Todd4State
07-05-2020, 11:03 PM

I thought the whole point was to flatten the curve too. That's what I was told in March as well. Now it's stay inside and wear and mask until this goes away. Unless you want to protest something the media likes. The difference is one was a guess. The other is moving the goal posts.

Gutter Cobreh
07-05-2020, 11:30 PM
I thought the whole point was to flatten the curve too. That's what I was told in March as well. Now it's stay inside and wear and mask until this goes away. Unless you want to protest something the media likes. The difference is one was a guess. The other is moving the goal posts.

Well, the President has promised a vaccine before the end of the year...

Todd4State
07-05-2020, 11:47 PM
Well, the President has promised a vaccine before the end of the year...

In December after the election? Sounds about right.

Dawg2003
07-06-2020, 05:52 AM

To be fair, we haven't flattened the curve. If you go by the guidelines, states were supposed to have a 14 day negative trend in cases before they partially reopened. Most of them (maybe not any) didn't do that. I'm not saying they should or shouldn't- just that we never actually reached those goals as I understood them. I think that's why there's a lot of confusion and negativity over the way we've handled it. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it. In Mississippi, we're seeing more and more cases and hospitalizations, but we're opening back up and Tate is MIA. What was the point of closing down to begin with? People lost their jobs over that. What is the actual plan?

AmiteDog
07-06-2020, 09:21 AM
To be fair, we haven't flattened the curve. If you go by the guidelines, states were supposed to have a 14 day negative trend in cases before they partially reopened. Most of them (maybe not any) didn't do that. I'm not saying they should or shouldn't- just that we never actually reached those goals as I understood them. I think that's why there's a lot of confusion and negativity over the way we've handled it. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to it. In Mississippi, we're seeing more and more cases and hospitalizations, but we're opening back up and Tate is MIA. What was the point of closing down to begin with? People lost their jobs over that. What is the actual plan?

Tate isnt MIA hes just blaming the liberal media and protests as a good little Trump soldier should.

coachnorm
07-06-2020, 09:49 AM

When you speak media just remember what happened in 1915 during the pandemic that erased over a quarter of the worlds population. Because American investors loaned Britain and France huge money to prolong WW1, it was necessary that Germany not win. If Germany wins American investment in loans would be lost. That is the real reason why they sacrificed American youth in WW1. To guarantee that the money not get lost the media was threatened to keep the public ignorant of the pandemic. Military officers paid visits to editors and threatened death to guarantee American not know the true truth because they would just stay home and social distance. This would be great for the American youth but bad for the greedy investors who forward cash to prolong the war and make profits. The Federal Reserve was complicit in this also.

Extendedcab
07-06-2020, 12:49 PM
When you speak media just remember what happened in 1915 during the pandemic that erased over a quarter of the worlds population. Because American investors loaned Britain and France huge money to prolong WW1, it was necessary that Germany not win. If Germany wins American investment in loans would be lost. That is the real reason why they sacrificed American youth in WW1. To guarantee that the money not get lost the media was threatened to keep the public ignorant of the pandemic. Military officers paid visits to editors and threatened death to guarantee American not know the true truth because they would just stay home and social distance. This would be great for the American youth but bad for the greedy investors who forward cash to prolong the war and make profits. The Federal Reserve was complicit in this also.

It is amazing how one can forget and/or distort why the loans were made in the first place - to provide the allied powers the financial resources to defeat the evil empire so the US would not have to enter the war. But Germany kept sinking neutral and even US vessels in the Atlantic, they pushed the issue causing the US to enter the war!

What would have happened if the US did not provide the loans? Did you stop and ever think about that? Did you ever think that it is very risky loaning a country in a full scale war , money? What if the allies had lost the war before Germany forced the US's hand in entering? What would have happened to those loans?

Come on coach, if it were not for capitalism, what would you be doing for a living? Teaching German to the rest of the world?

Turfdawg67
07-06-2020, 12:53 PM
Uh oh. I guess the media done skeered another one. Nick Markakis opting out of 2020 season.

Johnson85
07-06-2020, 01:26 PM

So, you are arguing that the actual death toll from the spanish flew was about 8 times larger than the consensus estimates?

I'm not sure people need newspapers to see when a quarter of the people around them are dropping dead.

coachnorm
07-06-2020, 05:21 PM
It is amazing how one can forget and/or distort why the loans were made in the first place - to provide the allied powers the financial resources to defeat the evil empire so the US would not have to enter the war. But Germany kept sinking neutral and even US vessels in the Atlantic, they pushed the issue causing the US to enter the war!

What would have happened if the US did not provide the loans? Did you stop and ever think about that? Did you ever think that it is very risky loaning a country in a full scale war , money? What if the allies had lost the war before Germany forced the US's hand in entering? What would have happened to those loans?

Come on coach, if it were not for capitalism, what would you be doing for a living? Teaching German to the rest of the world?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2tQ04JAsnQ

I am trying to bring up a point to fellow elitedoggers in as respectful as possible. The Irish, Scottish, and Scots Irish did not like the English in the early 1900s and there were far more Americans of German ancestry at that time. President Wilson won the election based on a promise of keeping out of the war. A hundred years before the British burned down Washington DC, fifty years before the British planned to align with the Confederacy during the Civil War, and the video attached indicates the feelings the US Navy had towards the Royal Navy. During this period Germany never fired a shot in anger at the US? WW1 was not the same as WW2 and there were many players that caused problems, not just the Germans. My point with respect is Americans of influence dragged rank and file Americans into WW1 because money invested to one side was at risk.

coachnorm
07-06-2020, 07:06 PM
So, you are arguing that the actual death toll from the spanish flew was about 8 times larger than the consensus estimates?

I'm not sure people need newspapers to see when a quarter of the people around them are dropping dead.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-pandemic-h1n1.html

I agree with you that I was incorrect with the death rate compared to the infection rate. You are correct that it would be obvious if that many just drop dead at your feet. I would like to add that many who did not die immediately did die later. Research the death of President Wilson. Maybe he died of the virus?