PDA

View Full Version : I find it interesting....

Coach34
11-04-2013, 11:03 PM
We've only had only 3 coaches in our history stay at State for 7 years or more since 1895:

Allyn McKeen- was the HC that led us to our only SEC title in 1941. Never had a losing record but was run off and decided to retire from coaching

Emory Bellard- coached us to our best season since 1941- had Georgia not had a miraculous 92 yd TD pass with a minute left- we would have been in the Sugar Bowl. Was fired after his 4th straight losing season in 1985.

Jackie Sherrill- was our best modern day coach, changed the mindset of the program, and had us a half quarter away from an SEC title. Rescued his job from the chopping block in 1996 with a big victory over Bama and then dominated OM in the Egg Bowl. Had he lost either of those games, he was gone.

Looking at our coaching history is really depressing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mississippi_State_Bulldogs_head_football_c oaches

DawgsBite34
11-04-2013, 11:11 PM
Does anybody else remember when we had Bruce Arians as OC under Jackie??? I was born in 94 I wanna say it was that year maybe before Idk but that would be great to have him now

ShotgunDawg
11-04-2013, 11:58 PM
Does anybody else remember when we had Bruce Arians as OC under Jackie??? I was born in 94 I wanna say it was that year maybe before Idk but that would be great to have him now

Your 19 years old? Geez that explains a lot. I didn't realize I was arguing with a 19 year old.

Dawg61
11-05-2013, 12:01 AM
Your 19 years old? Geez that explains a lot. I didn't realize I was arguing with a 19 year old.

Don't stress it. He types like he's 20.

DawgsBite34
11-05-2013, 12:03 AM

ha I know my shit though man been at every game since I was old enough to remember maybe I shouldn't have said all that. oh well don't hate

ShotgunDawg
11-05-2013, 12:11 AM
ha I know my shit though man been at every game since I was old enough to remember maybe I shouldn't have said all that. oh well don't hate

This is the problem and good thing about message boards; We don't know who we are talking to. I bet if we all met and figured out who we were talking to, things would kind of straighten themselves out on this board.

By the way, my mom has been to more games than me over the past 10 years, but that doesn't mean she is more qualified to evaluate the team.

Dannyripms
11-05-2013, 12:30 AM
Give the kid a break. Youth doesn't mean stupidity. Been a lot of great young minds that have gone on to do great things for all of us.

messageboardsuperhero
11-05-2013, 12:36 AM

It is a pretty funny thing to think about. I always subconsciously assume everyone on this board is an adult or at least in their 20s, even though I have no clue how old most of these people are.

That's not to say teenagers can't be knowledgable, but I do get a laugh out of imagining myself arguing with a 16 year old.

LiterallyPolice
11-05-2013, 12:52 AM
I know all of you thought I was just a dude in my early 30's...

Well, prepare to have your mind blown:

I'm a 7 yr old dachshund. But before you judge, that's 49 in dog years.

Todd4State
11-05-2013, 01:16 AM
This is the problem and good thing about message boards; We don't know who we are talking to. I bet if we all met and figured out who we were talking to, things would kind of straighten themselves out on this board.

By the way, my mom has been to more games than me over the past 10 years, but that doesn't mean she is more qualified to evaluate the team.

This board is pretty tame compared to many others.

Todd4State
11-05-2013, 01:18 AM

Yes, Bruce was here in 93-95 and Jackie fired him for "throwing too much". We had Freaking Eric Moulds.

Arians was also a running backs coach under Bellard.

AROB44
11-05-2013, 06:41 AM
We've only had only 3 coaches in our history stay at State for 7 years or more since 1895:

Allyn McKeen- was the HC that led us to our only SEC title in 1941. Never had a losing record but was run off and decided to retire from coaching

Emory Bellard- coached us to our best season since 1941- had Georgia not had a miraculous 92 yd TD pass with a minute left- we would have been in the Sugar Bowl. Was fired after his 4th straight losing season in 1985.

Jackie Sherrill- was our best modern day coach, changed the mindset of the program, and had us a half quarter away from an SEC title. Rescued his job from the chopping block in 1996 with a big victory over Bama and then dominated OM in the Egg Bowl. Had he lost either of those games, he was gone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mississippi_State_Bulldogs_head_football_c oaches

The average tenure I believe is 6 years. That doesn't say very much for stability. It does say we have made pretty bad choices on coaching hires for a long long time.

Tbonewannabe
11-05-2013, 07:25 AM
Looks like Emory and Jackie stayed too long. Looks like we usually let a coach.completely destroy a program before we make a move.

Drugdog
11-05-2013, 07:40 AM
So based upon our history....lets repeat it and fire Mullen.. Insanity. Doing something over and over and expecting a different result...

Lets try this: Help improve what we have. Upgrade our assistants, get a more favorable schedule, etc.
We are not that far away.

The sun doesn't shine on the same dogs ass everyday..

cujo
11-05-2013, 07:41 AM
And destroy themselves. Since Warmath and Royal left us in the fifties for bigger & better things, the State job has been the end of the ride for all of 'em, or at least the last respectable HC gig they had. Dan better be concerned for himself

FlabLoser
11-05-2013, 07:42 AM
What is the average tenure for a SEC coach?

I bet SEC coaches fall into 2 categories - those that leave after 3-4 years and those that stay a long long time.

PS: I'll say it again - changing coaches is peeing in the wind. Our problem is in the administration. Bracky. Assistant salaries. Coordination inside the complete sphere of influence to further the program, etc.

Churchill
11-05-2013, 08:02 AM
The most interesting Bruce Arians/MSU story occurred after the 1980 season when Bear Bryant hired him away from us after we had beaten Bama. You talking about conspiracy theories and hatred...man it was heated. Bryant was a sharp old bird and didn`t miss many tricks. Bruce has gone on obviously to have a hell of a career and we`ll never really know if Bryant really valued Arians more as a coach or someone who could help him put MSU back in their place.

Dawgface
11-05-2013, 08:04 AM
What is the average tenure for a SEC coach?

I would love to see the average tenure of all schools from around the country. I bet our average is not that far off.

Political Hack
11-05-2013, 08:10 AM
I know all of you thought I was just a dude in my early 30's...

Well, prepare to have your mind blown:

I'm a 7 yr old dachshund. But before you judge, that's 49 in dog years.

I'm 93 years old in message board years.

Jack Lambert
11-05-2013, 09:28 AM

I got under wear older then you.

Behrdawg
11-05-2013, 09:32 AM
Give the kid a break. Youth doesn't mean stupidity. Been a lot of great young minds that have gone on to do great things for all of us.

No shit...I just saw Enders Game yesterday- damn.

HunterDawg
11-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Looks like Emory and Jackie stayed too long. Looks like we usually let a coach.completely destroy a program before we make a move.

With our bowl history, if we fire a guy who took us to 3 bowls in a row for missing #4 in a row by one win, what up and coming young coaching phenom will come here? We will have made it clear that going to bowls 3 out of 4 years is completely unacceptable.

Not a good message to send.

engie
11-05-2013, 10:36 AM
With our bowl history, if we fire a guy who took us to 3 bowls in a row for missing #4 in a row by one win, what up and coming young coaching phenom will come here? We will have made it clear that going to bowls 3 out of 4 years is completely unacceptable.

Not a good message to send.

Yet it's a fine message to send around the rest of the conference when they do it...

SEVENTY PLUS teams go to bowls every year now. By traditional standards, Mullen has had 1, maybe 2, bowl teams here. Two 7-4 teams.

Maroonthirteen
11-05-2013, 10:52 AM
....if you think potential coaches would view Mullen being fired as a positive, you are wrong. Every SEC school that has fired a successful long term coach, had a revolving door in the coach's office for years after. UT still isn't over firing Fulmer. Bama took years after Stallings. OM hired Coach O......what a joke that was. AU hired Gene Chizik after Ears. I know we supposedly have Hud interested and that makes our situation slightly different. But the AD better be 100% sure Hud would take the job before entertaining the idea of firing Mullen (assuming we lose out). No lose out, then you keep Mullen and tell Hud to be patient.

Because if fire Mullen, even if we lose out, and Hud turns us down, you are looking at hiring a washed up has been or someone with little to no experience.

cheewgumm
11-05-2013, 10:59 AM
By your logic we should have kept Croom. You don't just keep someone to say you have stability. One thing( keeping a crappy coach and calling it stability)does not lead to the other( winning).

Teams that win long term and have stability have it because they found a good coach so
Obviously they kept them
Longer. It's not that they just kept anybody.

This is a terrible and deeply misleading argument .

So based upon our history....lets repeat it and fire Mullen.. Insanity. Doing something over and over and expecting a different result...

Lets try this: Help improve what we have. Upgrade our assistants, get a more favorable schedule, etc.
We are not that far away.

The sun doesn't shine on the same dogs ass everyday..

Tbonewannabe
11-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Yet it's a fine message to send around the rest of the conference when they do it...

SEVENTY PLUS teams go to bowls every year now. By traditional standards, Mullen has had 1, maybe 2, bowl teams here. Two 7-4 teams.

1997 Jackie went 7-4 and didn't go to a bowl.

NewTweederEndzoneDance
11-05-2013, 11:04 AM
By your logic we should have kept Croom. You don't just keep someone to say you have stability. One thing( keeping a crappy coach and calling it stability)does not lead to the other( winning).

Teams that win long term and have stability have it because they found a good coach so
Obviously they kept them
Longer. It's not that they just kept anybody.

This is a terrible and deeply misleading argument .

by your logic Croom = Mullen, which is simply not true. your logic also ignores the precedents set by other schools in our conference who have fired winning coaches, and gone on to be worse for it (Ole Miss, UT, etc...). so I guess your argument is also a terrible and deeply misleading one. we can really just go round and round on this for the next month with neither side actually scoring a knockout blow in this argument, so why don't we sit back and see how the season plays out. then we can see what's what.

engie
11-05-2013, 11:08 AM
....if you think potential coaches would view Mullen being fired as a positive, you are wrong. Every SEC school that has fired a successful long term coach, had a revolving door in the coach's office for years after. UT still isn't over firing Fulmer. Bama took years after Stallings. OM hired Coach O......what a joke that was. AU hired Gene Chizik after Ears. I know we supposedly have Hud interested and that makes our situation slightly different. But the AD better be 100% sure Hud would take the job before entertaining the idea of firing Mullen (assuming we lose out). No lose out, then you keep Mullen and tell Hud to be patient.

Because if fire Mullen, even if we lose out, and Hud turns us down, you are looking at hiring a washed up has been or someone with little to no experience.

Why does everyone that thinks Mullen is the best option choose to only focus on the worst case scenario in a possible change? Why would we fire Mullen without a postdated contact in hand from Hud or some other coach we considered a clear upgrade from him? Would be totally stupid for us to do that -- and would assure an athletics admin housecleaning at the botching of a football search.

Fact of the matter is -- no move is being made until we have already got our answer from Mark... And most likely, until after he has guarantees in place that we are meeting his demands in compliance and the AD in general...

engie
11-05-2013, 11:17 AM
1997 Jackie went 7-4 and didn't go to a bowl.

Eli didn't go to a bowl at 7-4 in 2001 as well...

I's very possible that, playing in Jackie's days, we've only had 1 bowl team in Mullen's 5 years here.

I just don't understand using a "bowl record" to prop Mullen up -- when he's not playing the same game as any other past MSU coach.

cheewgumm
11-05-2013, 11:19 AM
But that has nothing to do with my point.

My point is that everyone is saying Stability = Winning. This makes no sense. The reason they correlate is because good coachs stay at schools longer. It's not that schools just pick a coach and keep him there forever no matter how bad he does, just for "stability" then miraculously they get better. If that were the case, nobody would fire any coach, ever.

by your logic Croom = Mullen, which is simply not true. your logic also ignores the precedents set by other schools in our conference who have fired winning coaches, and gone on to be worse for it (Ole Miss, UT, etc...). so I guess your argument is also a terrible and deeply misleading one. we can really just go round and round on this for the next month with neither side actually scoring a knockout blow in this argument, so why don't we sit back and see how the season plays out. then we can see what's what.

cheewgumm
11-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Exactly, great point.

I's very possible that, playing in Jackie's days, we've only had 1 bowl team in Mullen's 5 years here.

I just don't understand using a "bowl record" to prop Mullen up -- when he's not playing the same game as any other past MSU coach.

CadaverDawg
11-05-2013, 11:28 AM
It's just two totally different ways of looking at it.

For instance, DrugDog and several others in this thread feel like since we usually fire a coach when he is losing and it rarely ever propels us into a better place...we shouldn't do it this time. But instead should try doing more with assistants, etc.

I'm of the belief that we usually allow a coach that is spiraling down to stay too long, so I say fire him at the end of this season while the cupboard is still full and we have what appears to be a great coach in the wings. We can still improve assistants pay, compliance, etc....AND have that excitement that a new coach brings in.

Bottom line, it's a risk either way. If you guys truly think that Mullen will get us back to where we were during 2010...then by all means keep fighting the Mullen fight, I respect your opinions. But for those of us that feel certain that Mullen has peaked and things are starting to get worse, and feel that we are in a position to where we can build on this raised floor that Mullen has created by getting a guy like Hudspeth who can recruit, to come in and propel off of Mullen's foundation...we are going to keep fighting the fight of pointing out why changes need to be made.

As long as we both have the same goals in mind, I don't see a problem in fighting either side. But at the same time, I honestly can't understand how people that have watched all of the games since early last season, think Mullen can all of the sudden turn this team back into a relentless effort winner. I just don't see it.

But one thing is for sure, we will all be pulling for Mullen to turn it around starting Saturday. And if we are to keep Mullen after this season....I just hope and pray that I'm wrong and you guys in the Mullen camp are right. Because if we don't make the change and this thing spirals into Croom territory over the next few years....several of us will be wondering "what if" we had taken a chance to build off of where we were in 2013.

DawgsBite34
11-05-2013, 11:32 AM

Why you gotta take a shot man? Still mad that you found out that I do actually know football and I don't use the ''same ol bad playcalling'' excuse you said I did?

SignalToNoise
11-05-2013, 11:43 AM

I'm not sure what else could be used to prop him up.

He isn't an elite recruiter or exceptional game day coach. After watching our brand of uninspired football the past few seasons I have decided he isn't a great motivator either. And I don't for one red hot second buy the "QB developer" angle that some people tried to shill when he first arrived.

CadaverDawg
11-05-2013, 11:52 AM
I'm not sure what else could be used to prop him up.

He isn't an elite recruiter or exceptional game day coach. After watching our brand of uninspired football the past few seasons I have decided he isn't a great motivator either. And I don't for one red hot second buy the "QB developer" angle that some people tried to shill when he first arrived.

Bingo

MadDawg
11-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Bruce Arians was HATED when he was at MSU. It's the Bulldog way.

Barking 13
11-05-2013, 12:55 PM
most of you guys will forget all this after the first pitch...

Толстой
11-05-2013, 10:20 PM
I just don't think that's correct

Толстой
11-05-2013, 10:41 PM
The bottom line is this: State has seen the best of Dan Mullen (good or bad). It is not going to get any better than it was during his best year at State. On the the other hand, it could get worse. If fans have accepted that State will lose to Alabama and LSU every single year, then keep Mullen. He can do that for you. I really don't think there's any real evidence that's he's a good HEAD coach. When people argue about this, they take that topic completely off the table where people can't touch it. I'm bringing it back to reality. Let's debate that! Mullen is just Croom with a bad haircut