PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the Cleveland Indians are out too

Quaoarsking
07-03-2020, 09:11 PM

This is quite surprising to me, but the free market tends to win out in the end.

starkvegasdawg
07-03-2020, 09:33 PM
I don't get this. You give a team a band you are proud of and denotes strength and power. It's why you never see a team with the name wet farts.

Mobile Bay
彼らはクソだ

Irondawg
Is it really the free market though pushing for the change? I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I think they're just trying to get ahead of the mob.

They pull Major League from streaming services and I'm rioting.

Irondawg
07-03-2020, 09:34 PM
And here's one where if the change to something it could be "Tribe" - that would fit

Mobile Bay
07-03-2020, 09:35 PM
I don't get this. You give a team a band you are proud of and denotes strength and power. It's why you never see a team with the name wet farts.

You forget the Land Sharts

Commercecomet24
07-03-2020, 09:38 PM

Gonna have to have teams named after numbers before this is all over so we don't offend anyone. The Atlanta 24s sounds good to me*****

Mobile Bay
07-03-2020, 09:39 PM
Gonna have to have teams named after numbers before this is all over so we don't offend anyone. The Atlanta 24s sounds good to me*****

Can we get the Old Miss 17's?

Todd4State
07-03-2020, 09:53 PM
They're shitty anyway.**

Quaoarsking
07-03-2020, 09:53 PM
Is it really the free market though pushing for the change? I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I think they're just trying to get ahead of the mob.

"The mob" is just the free market though. If enough people decided that they were offended by the name Walmart, to the point where it was affecting profits and stock price, Walmart would change its name.

If the Indians change their name, they're following the money. I find it very far-fetched that they would make the wrong financial situation here - there's too much money at stake, and it's not like MLB executives are known to be a bunch of emotional bleeding hearts.

Commercecomet24
07-03-2020, 09:58 PM
Can we get the Old Miss 17's?

It fits them to a tee!

Commercecomet24
07-03-2020, 09:58 PM
They're shitty anyway.**

Great movie reference Todd! Rep given!

parabrave
07-03-2020, 09:59 PM
Well they can rename themselves the Cuyahoga Fire Marshals.

Todd4State
07-03-2020, 10:00 PM
Great movie reference Todd! Rep given!

Major League is my favorite baseball movie of all time! And from my very brief time around a MLB clubhouse one of the more fairly accurate. The Vuckovich brothers who played in MLB for awhile were in the movie as "bad guys" for the Yankees.

BeardoMSU
07-03-2020, 10:02 PM
They're shitty anyway.**

**** you Jobu**

Commercecomet24
07-03-2020, 10:04 PM
Major League is my favorite baseball movie of all time! And from my very brief time around a MLB clubhouse one of the more fairly accurate. The Vuckovich brothers who played in MLB for awhile were in the movie as "bad guys" for the Yankees.

I love it too! Field of dreams is my number but major league is a close second.

Commercecomet24
07-03-2020, 10:05 PM
**** you Jobu**

Hey bartender Jobu needs a refill!

Irondawg
07-03-2020, 10:10 PM
"The mob" is just the free market though. If enough people decided that they were offended by the name Walmart, to the point where it was affecting profits and stock price, Walmart would change its name.

If the Indians change their name, they're following the money. I find it very far-fetched that they would make the wrong financial situation here - there's too much money at stake, and it's not like MLB executives are known to be a bunch of emotional bleeding hearts.

I don’t think you can say that for sure though. To say it’s the free market you’d see actual customer shifts, etc. And you can’t measure that right now. Now I’m sure some advertising people might be making threats but there is a ton of virtue signaling right now and it remains to be seen if people would really pull the plug on stuff.

They all probably hate Jeff Bezos but I bet 98% of the protesters buy stuff on Amazon

dawgday166
07-03-2020, 10:24 PM

I'm with you on this **

Homedawg
07-03-2020, 11:35 PM

This is quite surprising to me, but the free market tends to win out in the end.

The free market?? Wtf. Hahaha. Typical liberal comment and total bullshit in this case for sure.

Homedawg
07-03-2020, 11:38 PM
So what names are legal??? I can shoot holes in damn near all of them. At some point it's too much. At least Half the teams in every league have a name that can have a mascot that is "offensive". This is nuts.

Commercecomet24
07-03-2020, 11:40 PM
So what names are legal??? I can shoot holes in damn near all of them. At some point it's too much. At least Half the teams in every league have a name that can have a mascot that is "offensive". This is nuts.

I'm telling you man teams are gonna have to be named after numbers. It's the only way unless numbers offend some physicists or math guys somewhere. And I'm only half kidding.

Quaoarsking
07-04-2020, 12:11 AM
The free market?? Wtf. Hahaha. Typical liberal comment and total bullshit in this case for sure.

Yes, the Indians and MLB apparently feel that they will make more money by changing than they will by keeping the name. It's possible that they've misread the market, but it's not the government forcing them to do this.

Quaoarsking
07-04-2020, 12:14 AM

They're all legal. Apparently the Indians (or MLB, who may be forcing it) think they can make more money by using a different name. If they thought they would make less money, they would keep the name.

Todd4State
07-04-2020, 01:33 AM

Cardinals is offensive to Catholics. I'm sad.**

Commercecomet24
07-04-2020, 01:42 AM
Cardinals is offensive to Catholics. I'm sad.**

Don't forget about the padres lol

starkvegasdawg
07-04-2020, 05:32 AM

And the Minnesota Twins is offensive to us without a sibling. They should be stripped of their World Series win. For that and Hrbek pulling Gant off the bag. Hrbek. Who starts their name with three consonants? That should be disqualifying right there.

Irondawg
07-04-2020, 07:41 AM
They're all legal. Apparently the Indians (or MLB, who may be forcing it) think they can make more money by using a different name. If they thought they would make less money, they would keep the name.

You are both right and wrong.

MLB and the owners are looking at this because they don?t want the PR hit and this may take some revenue hit.

But this isn?t the work of the free market.

For example let?s say our PETA friends suddenly got a youth driven surge up to represent 5-10% of the population. The media starts to back them and starts to run constants stories on the harmful effects of meat. Commentators shame people who come out in support of meat. Some lose their jobs over pro-meat comments. Protest happen outside meat plants and fast food chains. Some are burned down. Politicians promote extra taxes on meat.

The main fast food chains suddenly start talking about removing all meat products from their menus.

Is that the free market at work?

msstate7
07-04-2020, 07:46 AM
And the Minnesota Twins is offensive to us without a sibling. They should be stripped of their World Series win. For that and Hrbek pulling Gant off the bag. Hrbek. Who starts their name with three consonants? That should be disqualifying right there.

Man, I'm still pissed about that

Mobile Bay
07-04-2020, 08:56 AM
Hey bartender Jobu needs a refill!

Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curve ball?

Quaoarsking
07-04-2020, 09:04 AM
You are both right and wrong.

MLB and the owners are looking at this because they don?t want the PR hit and this may take some revenue hit.

But this isn?t the work of the free market.

For example let?s say our PETA friends suddenly got a youth driven surge up to represent 5-10% of the population. The media starts to back them and starts to run constants stories on the harmful effects of meat. Commentators shame people who come out in support of meat. Some lose their jobs over pro-meat comments. Protest happen outside meat plants and fast food chains. Some are burned down. Politicians promote extra taxes on meat.

The main fast food chains suddenly start talking about removing all meat products from their menus.

Is that the free market at work?

Assuming they're following the money, or at least believe they are, and the government isn't forcing it, then yes.

And if they're not, the free market will take care of it when the shareholders fire the executives in favor of pro-meat ones, and in the meantime new meat restaurants would open.

Jarius
07-04-2020, 09:59 AM

While what you are saying makes complete sense and should be how businesses do business, many are not and it’s crazy to me. ESPN ratings continue to drop because they continue to push the “woke” brand down their middle aged white republican customer’s throats. Alienating half of your customers is not a good business model and people continue to do it for some reason. Keeping politics out of other areas has always been the correct decision from a business standpoint no matter which way you lean personally.

Irondawg
07-04-2020, 10:43 AM
See I believe they are following the cancel culture which doesn't really represent the mass market which means it's a manipulated market and the more that creeps in the more you start to get toward dictated state which isn't good.

There's probably not enough people that care so much about this name that there will be any signficant blowback (much like the state flag) and it will be mostly forgotten in 6 months but if it was true free market then this would be fan led IMO

dantheman4248
07-04-2020, 11:46 AM
It seems we have a few that think if the main narrative is against their views then it's somehow oppression and not the free market at work.

At this point I'm just laughing at the hilarity of what it is. Bunch of idiots made it this far in life without the ability to detach their bias and look objectively at any issue. Newsflash McFly, the free market means that businesses can make their own decisions. Laissez Faire. Just because YOU don't agree with their decisions and motivations does NOT make it suddenly not the free market anymore. If they are wrong from a business standpoint they will correct course or die off. Laissez les bons tempe rouler.

Also: Field of Dreams is the best baseball movie and anyone who has a different opinion is wrong. Major League would be removed for the racist portrayal of Cerrano before having the name Indians in it. The fan portrayal of Indians isn't near as bad. It will never get to the point where they take time to censor out chief wahoo like swastikas in germany. They'd just not show it in that case. If you're worried about it going away, this is America. Buy that shit. Download it. Look who our football coach is. Go do him proud, Pirate. Never have to worry about your culture and movies going away then.

It's when we start coming into homes and burning the books / movies down that we should be afraid, not when people stop glorifying things they feel are racist (and you don't).

Commercecomet24
07-04-2020, 12:38 PM
Man, I'm still pissed about that

Me too! I don't think I'll ever get over that one! Or Lonnie Smith getting deaked In game 7 by knoblauch. He could've scored on that double if he'd been watching his third base coach instead of knoblauch. Braves win game 7 1-0 in 9 innings if he scores! I can still see him in my nightmares getting hung up at second lol

Irondawg
07-04-2020, 12:53 PM
What is a Free Market?
The free market is an economic system based on supply and demand with little or no government control. It is a summary description of all voluntary exchanges that take place in a given economic environment. Free markets are characterized by a spontaneous and decentralized order of arrangements through which individuals make economic decisions. Based on its political and legal rules, a country's free market economy may range between very large or entirely black market.

KEY TAKEAWAYS
A free market is one where voluntary exchange and the laws of supply and demand provide the sole basis for the economic system, without government intervention.
A key feature of free markets is the absence of coerced (forced) transactions or conditions on transactions.
While no pure free market economies actually exist, and all markets are in some ways constrained, economists who measure the degree of freedom in markets have found a generally positive relationship between free markets and measures of economic well being.

Once again I'm not saying the Cleveland franchise can't do whatever they want to do but it seems at least somewhat forced. That said I don't know how offensive people find the term "Indians". I totally get Redskins as while I think it would be funny people might not like teams called the "Pale Faces" and defiantly not something like "Negros" so I honestly can't believe it hasn't been changed before now.

I haven't looked but is Indian Cycles getting some push, etc.?

Leroy Jenkins
07-04-2020, 02:04 PM
LGBT-LMNOP will be after the Packers before long.

Todd4State
07-04-2020, 02:13 PM

Awesome!

Todd4State
07-04-2020, 02:14 PM

I think they should strip them of the 1987 World Series as well. Cardinals had to play without Jack Clark.

Todd4State
07-04-2020, 02:15 PM
Me too! I don't think I'll ever get over that one! Or Lonnie Smith getting deaked In game 7 by knoblauch. He could've scored on that double if he'd been watching his third base coach instead of knoblauch. Braves win game 7 1-0 in 9 innings if he scores! I can still see him in my nightmares getting hung up at second lol

In fairness to Lonnie he was probably using cocaine.

Commercecomet24
07-04-2020, 02:30 PM
In fairness to Lonnie he was probably using cocaine.

Hahaha! I know that's right! Lonnies eyes were always bulging out!

Commercecomet24
07-04-2020, 02:31 PM

There's not enough rep in the world to give you for this one! Well played!

dantheman4248
07-04-2020, 02:46 PM

This literally has nothing to do with anyone's sexuality and using a bigoted name like that shows you just came in here to spread homophobia. Do better.

Don't worry CC, I evened out the rep.

dawgday166
07-04-2020, 03:03 PM

LOL ... good one. This deserves some rep.

If they come after the Packers that should be another "line drawing" moment ****

RocketDawg
07-04-2020, 07:17 PM

Redskins I can understand. It's had nothing but a negative connotation from all quarters - remember the old westerns?

But there's nothing wrong with Indians, Seminoles, Braves, etc. As you say, the always denote strength and power.

TUSK
07-05-2020, 01:23 AM

well executed, my friend...

+1

TUSK
07-05-2020, 02:08 AM
This literally has nothing to do with anyone's sexuality and using a bigoted name like that shows you just came in here to spread homophobia. Do better.

Don't worry CC, I evened out the rep.

Dude, he was crackin' a joke... and it was well played.

Lighten up.

dantheman4248
07-05-2020, 03:33 PM
Dude, he was crackin' a joke... and it was well played.

Lighten up.

If he said "BLMNOP will be after the Packers before long" he'd at least have a relevant albeit tasteless joke. Also at least flows better off the tongue.

As it stands it's only funny because people wanted to take shots at a group of Americans asking for freedom in the bedroom and to keep the government out of what you can do in bed. Ya know, equal rights. They aren't even involved anywhere in this thread.

Sorry if pointing out how that punching down out of nowhere is problematic. Actually no I'm not. I hope anyone who laughed goes and shows that joke to your "one of the good ones" gay friend. See what they think.

Classes, offtopic, and punching down. 3 signs of a bad joke.

dantheman4248
07-05-2020, 03:35 PM
Redskins I can understand. It's had nothing but a negative connotation from all quarters - remember the old westerns?

But there's nothing wrong with Indians, Seminoles, Braves, etc. As you say, the always denote strength and power.

Indians wasn't even the name they had chosen for themselves. It was an incorrect name given by a genocidal villain that had no idea where on Earth he was.

dawgday166
07-05-2020, 04:22 PM
If he said "BLMNOP will be after the Packers before long" he'd at least have a relevant albeit tasteless joke. Also at least flows better off the tongue.

As it stands it's only funny because people wanted to take shots at a group of Americans asking for freedom in the bedroom and to keep the government out of what you can do in bed. Ya know, equal rights. They aren't even involved anywhere in this thread.

Sorry if pointing out how that punching down out of nowhere is problematic. Actually no I'm not. I hope anyone who laughed goes and shows that joke to your "one of the good ones" gay friend. See what they think.

Classes, offtopic, and punching down. 3 signs of a bad joke.

So esplain sometings to me. Who is telling anyone what they can do in the bedroom? Not sure if I know anyone who is doing that from a legislative standpoint. If folks that have religious beliefs are against it ... that's up to them. Nobody is trying to take their "freedom" in the bedroom away.

I think quite a lot, if not most, on here don't give a crap until bathrooms are shared and former men get to participate in women's sports.

dantheman4248
07-05-2020, 05:06 PM
So esplain sometings to me. Who is telling anyone what they can do in the bedroom? Not sure if I know anyone who is doing that from a legislative standpoint. If folks that have religious beliefs are against it ... that's up to them. Nobody is trying to take their "freedom" in the bedroom away.

I think quite a lot, if not most, on here don't give a crap until bathrooms are shared and former men get to participate in women's sports.

Then why bring it up in such a derogatory manner when it has nothing to do with the topic. And why would so many celebrate it. You yourself say you don't give a crap until bathrooms / women sports are brought up. Neither were brought up in here. So why did you give a crap enough to congratulate a shitty joke AND go out of your way to give it rep? I call bullshit on you not giving a crap.

dawgday166
07-05-2020, 05:59 PM
Then why bring it up in such a derogatory manner when it has nothing to do with the topic. And why would so many celebrate it. You yourself say you don't give a crap until bathrooms / women sports are brought up. Neither were brought up in here. So why did you give a crap enough to congratulate a shitty joke AND go out of your way to give it rep? I call bullshit on you not giving a crap.

Thought it was funny.

RocketDawg
07-05-2020, 07:06 PM
Indians wasn't even the name they had chosen for themselves. It was an incorrect name given by a genocidal villain that had no idea where on Earth he was.

Columbus didn't have GPS.

How about explaining the current disdain for Christopher Columbus?

dantheman4248
07-05-2020, 07:55 PM
Columbus didn't have GPS.

How about explaining the current disdain for Christopher Columbus?

Idk maybe it was spearheading the transatlantic slave trade, introducing smallpox and a wave of other illnesses to natives, or just the genocidal impunity that he treated natives with.

Flip it around, what can you honestly say he's worth celebrating for? He wasn't even the first white person to "discover" the America's. He's just the guy who slapped his name on claiming it.

TUSK
07-05-2020, 09:41 PM
Idk maybe it was spearheading the transatlantic slave trade, introducing smallpox and a wave of other illnesses to natives, or just the genocidal impunity that he treated natives with.

Flip it around, what can you honestly say he's worth celebrating for? He wasn't even the first white person to "discover" the America's. He's just the guy who slapped his name on claiming it.

Dan, you're wound pretty tight, buddy... I thought all you people smoked weed...

Oh, that was a joke, too...*******

dantheman4248
07-05-2020, 10:35 PM
Dan, you're wound pretty tight, buddy... I thought all you people smoked weed...

Oh, that was a joke, too...*******

It's not wound tight to think that off-topic punchdowns aren't good comedy. Nor is it wound tight to simply speak the truth of what Columbus did.

Sorry that you're wound tight and doubling down on stereotype punching down humor as funny. It's funny how that is your response when told that something you're doing isn't cool. Not well-played at all.

You probably find "Pro-choice baby killers will be after the Crimson Tide before long" funny as well. Completely missing that the joke attempts to undermine and delegitimize a movement by a snarky renaming coupled with a trash tier genitalia joke. And all while the topic had nothing to do with it.

It's a message board, you have time to think before you post. So try that. Maybe that will break your knee-jerk reaction of laughing at the plight of those less fortunate than you.

RocketCityDawg
07-06-2020, 09:29 AM
Thought it was funny.

Everybody thought it was funny except one dumbass Social Justice Warrior

BB30
07-06-2020, 02:02 PM
It's not wound tight to think that off-topic punchdowns aren't good comedy. Nor is it wound tight to simply speak the truth of what Columbus did.

Sorry that you're wound tight and doubling down on stereotype punching down humor as funny. It's funny how that is your response when told that something you're doing isn't cool. Not well-played at all.

You probably find "Pro-choice baby killers will be after the Crimson Tide before long" funny as well. Completely missing that the joke attempts to undermine and delegitimize a movement by a snarky renaming coupled with a trash tier genitalia joke. And all while the topic had nothing to do with it.

It's a message board, you have time to think before you post. So try that. Maybe that will break your knee-jerk reaction of laughing at the plight of those less fortunate than you.

Dude, there are a pile of comics that make a living punching down and a damn good living at that. And I still don't agree that that is punching down. People make fun of white straight people all the time. Is that punching down.

Punching down would be making fun of Autism or something like that.

By definition your being prejudice for pointing out that it is "punching down". You are saying that there is a clear difference in LGBTQ people and Straight people and that LGBTQ people are lower on the totem pole. Do you think they would like you defining them in that manner?

dantheman4248
07-06-2020, 02:33 PM
Dude, there are a pile of comics that make a living punching down and a damn good living at that. And I still don't agree that that is punching down. People make fun of white straight people all the time. Is that punching down.

Punching down would be making fun of Autism or something like that.

By definition your being prejudice for pointing out that it is "punching down". You are saying that there is a clear difference in LGBTQ people and Straight people and that LGBTQ people are lower on the totem pole. Do you think they would like you defining them in that manner?

I know you worked hard for this gotcha moment, really REALLY hard. But you're not even close. There is still groups within LGBTQ+ that don't have equal rights and ability to live freely. I mean ffs the president last week proposed a rule to allow federally funded homeless shelters to turn away trans / non-gender conforming people. Like what the hell. It was this year that SCOTUS just finally decided you can't discriminate on sexuality and the ilk. Clearly society treats them as lesser.

White straight males are "the man". You attack them, you are punching up. That's just how society is layered. The only comic that I can even think of that nationally gets away with punching down is Dave Chappelle towards "the Ts."

Bothrops
07-06-2020, 03:46 PM
What about the Florida State Seminoles, Atlanta Braves, and the KC Chiefs? I suppose name changes are coming for them as well? I mean certainly they aren't gonna end it at the Cleveland Indians and Washington Redskins..right?

dantheman4248
07-06-2020, 05:01 PM
What about the Florida State Seminoles, Atlanta Braves, and the KC Chiefs? I suppose name changes are coming for them as well? I mean certainly they aren't gonna end it at the Cleveland Indians and Washington Redskins..right?

If you can't see the difference between derogatory names given by oppressors and names that were actually used by Native Americans to symbolize power and strength, then that's on you for being wrongly concerned.

You're missing the point completely. The goal is not to erase native American representation. The goal is to erase positive support for words with negative connotations. If you can't dissociate the difference then you are the one with the issue. Tell me, do you think cracker and caucasian have the same connotations?

dawgday166
07-06-2020, 08:39 PM
If you can't see the difference between derogatory names given by oppressors and names that were actually used by Native Americans to symbolize power and strength, then that's on you for being wrongly concerned.

You're missing the point completely. The goal is not to erase native American representation. The goal is to erase positive support for words with negative connotations. If you can't dissociate the difference then you are the one with the issue. Tell me, do you think cracker and caucasian have the same connotations?

I laugh at cracker. Never has bothered me.

Bothrops
07-06-2020, 09:11 PM

You don't really think I was really suggesting they keep eliminating names do you?

dantheman4248
07-06-2020, 09:47 PM
You don't really think I was really suggesting they keep eliminating names do you?

No. You suggested that you had no idea where a line would be drawn because you didn't get nuance.

Lord McBuckethead
07-07-2020, 07:51 AM
Why does there have to be a line established by us. To me, the only person that could establish a line in this case is maybe the commish of each sport. It is the owners that will have to stand on the line. If the cost to maintain the line is too great, the line will move. Time and pressure will win.

BB30
07-07-2020, 10:36 AM
I know you worked hard for this gotcha moment, really REALLY hard. But you're not even close. There is still groups within LGBTQ+ that don't have equal rights and ability to live freely. I mean ffs the president last week proposed a rule to allow federally funded homeless shelters to turn away trans / non-gender conforming people. Like what the hell. It was this year that SCOTUS just finally decided you can't discriminate on sexuality and the ilk. Clearly society treats them as lesser.

White straight males are "the man". You attack them, you are punching up. That's just how society is layered. The only comic that I can even think of that nationally gets away with punching down is Dave Chappelle towards "the Ts."

Dave Chapell
Joey Diaz
Tim Dillon
Andrew Shulz

There are 4 big names off of the top of my head that have punched down.

But hey, if you want to be Mr White Straight Male telling all of the minorities how they should feel and what they should be offended by be my guest. And that wasn't a "got ya" moment it was the truth. You're treating them differently from White Straight Males. You are basically saying they are too soft to handle jokes about stereotypes.

Every race/creed/religion/skin color etc. has stereotypes and all have had jokes made about those stereotypes. It is ok to laugh at yourself that is what makes comedy great.

dantheman4248
07-07-2020, 10:57 AM
Dave Chapell
Joey Diaz
Tim Dillon
Andrew Shulz

There are 4 big names off of the top of my head that have punched down.

But hey, if you want to be Mr White Straight Male telling all of the minorities how they should feel and what they should be offended by be my guest. And that wasn't a "got ya" moment it was the truth. You're treating them differently from White Straight Males. You are basically saying they are too soft to handle jokes about stereotypes.

Every race/creed/religion/skin color etc. has stereotypes and all have had jokes made about those stereotypes. It is ok to laugh at yourself that is what makes comedy great.

Chappelle is the only one of the 4 there that's even worth mention. Which I already did. If you consider those "big names".... yikes at your sphere of influence.

"And that wasn't a got ya moment it was the truth."..... so you think it was a got ya moment. You are equating me recognizing that some groups are treated worse than others and have fewer rights than others as equal to thinking they are lesser. No, I'm acknowledging the disparity in the system. How you are struggling to differentiate those two things is troubling. It speaks to a frail ego that can't accept the reality that all men aren't born into equality in this country.

No one is saying comedy can't be funny or well-timed if it's "inappropriate." The point was it was neither funny nor well-timed on top of the inappropriateness. Add to it that it was a punch down and it was a whole barrel of bad. The joke in a vacuum was lackluster and poorly executed. LGBTQNOP makes more sense than doubling up on saying the L. The whole joke there is built around L[GBTQ]NOP with the brackets replacing the turn of the M sound from L to N-O-P.

Bad execution. Punch down. Irrelevant. 3 cardinal sins of comedy. You can get away w/ 1 of those 3 if the other 2 are top tier generally.

Sorry to break it to you but you only laughed at the joke because it was making fun of a group you like to bully. It's hard to accept that you did a bigoted action, that's ok. Just be better next time and acknowledge your bigotry and don't act so hastily on it.

BB30
07-07-2020, 12:15 PM
Chappelle is the only one of the 4 there that's even worth mention. Which I already did. If you consider those "big names".... yikes at your sphere of influence.

"And that wasn't a got ya moment it was the truth."..... so you think it was a got ya moment. You are equating me recognizing that some groups are treated worse than others and have fewer rights than others as equal to thinking they are lesser. No, I'm acknowledging the disparity in the system. How you are struggling to differentiate those two things is troubling. It speaks to a frail ego that can't accept the reality that all men aren't born into equality in this country.

No one is saying comedy can't be funny or well-timed if it's "inappropriate." The point was it was neither funny nor well-timed on top of the inappropriateness. Add to it that it was a punch down and it was a whole barrel of bad. The joke in a vacuum was lackluster and poorly executed. LGBTQNOP makes more sense than doubling up on saying the L. The whole joke there is built around L[GBTQ]NOP with the brackets replacing the turn of the M sound from L to N-O-P.

Bad execution. Punch down. Irrelevant. 3 cardinal sins of comedy. You can get away w/ 1 of those 3 if the other 2 are top tier generally.

Sorry to break it to you but you only laughed at the joke because it was making fun of a group you like to bully. It's hard to accept that you did a bigoted action, that's ok. Just be better next time and acknowledge your bigotry and don't act so hastily on it.

I'm sorry you have a poor taste in comedy if you think those guys aren't legit. How about the following:

George Carlin--famous for punching down and possibly the best comic to ever live

You obviously haven't studied critical race theory which is funny because you present a lot of their talking points and yet disagree that you are in fact a part of the problem.

I have zero issues admitting that people are born into different socioeconomic situations and that some things aren't fair. I also have no issue admitting that some are treated worse than others or that I was fortunate to be adopted by a family that set me up to be successful. I can admit my privilege without issue or argument. I have certainly benefited from my starting point. That has nothing, literally zero to do with comedy.

I fail to see how that pertains to comedy?

I actually didn't find the joke funny, thanks for assuming though you have proven to be good at that as you have no idea what my belief system is. I'm simply defending the right to make said joke. Some will find it funny and some won't just as I like some comics comedy and I don't like others.

Please show me examples of bullying LGBTQ? I have several family members that fall into the category and one of my best friends is gay. He would be happy to tell you that I don't bully or belittle anyone and he makes fun of LGBTQ stereotypes all of the time. If he isn't offended and finds it funny why should I feel the need to tell him he should be offended like you are doing?

I have no issue with how anyone chooses to live their life as long as they are happy and fulfilled, I am happy for them. I don't see any issue with cracking stereotype jokes because every group has a stereotype. You basically just slapped the southern stereotype on me without knowing a single thing about me and that is why we can't have quality discussion today.