PDA

View Full Version : Learfield trying to get out of paying contracts

Pinto
07-03-2020, 02:36 PM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2020/07/03/college-sports-learfield-response-covid-troubling-schools/5370368002/

Homedawg
07-03-2020, 02:49 PM
College Athletics, as we know it, are done as soon as no football takes place. Power 5 might all survive. G5 many, if not most won't. Learfield/Img won't be able to honor contracts. Not possible.

parabrave
07-03-2020, 06:10 PM
Wait for ESPN to follow soon afterward.

Commercecomet24
07-03-2020, 06:40 PM
College Athletics, as we know it, are done as soon as no football takes place. Power 5 might all survive. G5 many, if not most won't. Learfield/Img won't be able to honor contracts. Not possible.

Yep keep things shut down so we can rot on the vine.

Jack Lambert
07-03-2020, 07:16 PM

There will be football with fans. I suspect some changes. Could be anything from shorten season, late start, spring season, limited number of fans all required to wear a mask. Many things can do.

Homedawg
07-03-2020, 11:44 PM
There will be football with fans. I suspect some changes. Could be anything from shorten season, late start, spring season, limited number of fans all required to wear a mask. Many things can do.

I was with you 6 weeks ago. Today, not so much. I'm not in charge. If I were we"d play. But if I were betting TODAY, we won't have college sports in 2020 and best case, w 25% fans. And I'd love to be wrong. The panic can't be overcome

Commercecomet24
07-03-2020, 11:48 PM
I was with you 6 weeks ago. Today, not so much. I'm not in charge. If I were we"d play. But if I were betting TODAY, we won't have college sports in 2020 and best case, w 25% fans. And I'd love to be wrong. The panic can't be overcome

Man this makes me nervous cause when you stay stuff, you're rarely if ever wrong.

Political Hack
07-04-2020, 09:40 AM

I agree. And we did it to ourselves. Miscommunication constantly from the top and people refusing to wear mask to make political statements. It's a damn shame we couldn't all pull together and manage this responsibly.

Lumpy Chucklelips
07-04-2020, 09:43 AM
Saying we do play...If only 25% of the stadium is full, wouldn't that mean more eyeballs are watching on tv? Seems like ESPN and the like would love a scenario like that. And help them pay the bills. So you know the networks are going to push for it. They definitely have a seat at the table of the decision makers.

Homedawg
07-04-2020, 09:43 AM
I agree. And we did it to ourselves. Miscommunication constantly from the top and people refusing to wear mask to make political statements. It's a damn shame we couldn't all pull together and manage this responsibly.
While I won't disagree w anything you said, I'm not sure it would have mattered. One case makes people freak.

confucius say
07-04-2020, 11:46 AM

If we are going to play, it's going to take real leadership. And balls.
You need leadership that is not afraid to be criticized when the mob comes after them for making a decision to play in spite of positive cases.

Somebody has to step and say we're playing and we know there will be positive cases. If the response to positive cases is to not play, we might as well cancel it all now.

msstate7
07-04-2020, 11:50 AM
I'm really surprised there hasn't been a real push for players being paid leading up to this season. Seems they'd be all over it and use this "dangerous" virus to their advantage

Homedawg
07-04-2020, 12:13 PM
You need leadership that is not afraid to be criticized when the mob comes after them for making a decision to play in spite of positive cases.

Somebody has to step and say we're playing and we know there will be positive cases. If the response to positive cases is to not play, we might as well cancel it all now.

Yep. All true

WinningIsRelentless
07-04-2020, 12:47 PM

Someone has to look after the well being of the Student-Athletes as well.

Leeshouldveflanked
07-04-2020, 03:04 PM
I say shut the whole education system down until we have a vaccine..... furlough all employees and mothball all of the buildings.

Leeshouldveflanked
07-04-2020, 03:06 PM
The athletes well being is a heck of a lot better now, playing sports...just imagine the impact it will have on them and their families if they don?t play...

Extendedcab
07-04-2020, 03:48 PM
I say shut the whole education system down until we have a vaccine..... furlough all employees and mothball all of the buildings.

Are you serious? Hopefully not!

IMissJack
07-04-2020, 04:17 PM
If we don't play, and SEC network revenue comes into question, it could really put a kink in the current athletic budgets.

Homedawg
07-04-2020, 04:42 PM

So you think we are looking our for them less than being at home??

Homedawg
07-04-2020, 04:43 PM
If we don't play, and SEC network revenue comes into question, it could really put a kink in the current athletic budgets.

If we don't play you can rest assured the 45 mil we got from the leagues is going to be about 1/10 of that.

Bothrops
07-04-2020, 06:23 PM
I think the season starts with some fans in attendance, then at some point the remainder either gets cancelled entirely, or fans no longer allowed at games.

Todd4State
07-04-2020, 07:06 PM
I think the season starts with some fans in attendance, then at some point the remainder either gets cancelled entirely, or fans no longer allowed at games.

Could be. But I think based on the fact that they are playing soccer in Europe right now and baseball with fans in attendance that a season will happen. I've seen some fear mongerers saying MLB can't decide how to handle COVID when the reality is they could be playing right now if they weren't fighting over money and are practicing right now.

But here's the thing to remember- two months from now people will be even less scared than they are now. The media can only cry wolf so much.

Homedawg
07-04-2020, 08:08 PM
Could be. But I think based on the fact that they are playing soccer in Europe right now and baseball with fans in attendance that a season will happen. I've seen some fear mongerers saying MLB can't decide how to handle COVID when the reality is they could be playing right now if they weren't fighting over money and are practicing right now.

But here's the thing to remember- two months from now people will be even less scared than they are now. The media can only cry wolf so much.

I'd love to think your last paragraph is right. However, w the death rate going on a huge downturn and the freak is huge now. I doubt it.

WinningIsRelentless
07-04-2020, 09:16 PM
I'd love to think your last paragraph is right. However, w the death rate going on a huge downturn and the freak is huge now. I doubt it.

You got another week or so before you really see if the death rates are going to shoot back up. You better be holding your breath that it doesn?t happen or all our asses will be locked down again.

Todd4State
07-04-2020, 09:20 PM

It's not the people being afraid that I think will be the problem. It will be the media trumpeting about that guy that went to a game at Oklahoma State and got sick. Now the media has no way to prove that the guy didn't get COVID at the game but we're going to assume that's where he got it because it wasn't a protest and therefore wrong.

Homedawg
07-04-2020, 09:37 PM
It's not the people being afraid that I think will be the problem. It will be the media trumpeting about that guy that went to a game at Oklahoma State and got sick. Now the media has no way to prove that the guy didn't get COVID at the game but we're going to assume that's where he got it because it wasn't a protest and therefore wrong.
What he said!

msstate7
07-04-2020, 09:43 PM
You got another week or so before you really see if the death rates are going to shoot back up. You better be holding your breath that it doesn?t happen or all our asses will be locked down again.

I have no idea what the death rate will do, but the downward trend is not just in the US. Using world stats (7-day avg), cases have been going up since April 8th. The death rate starting dropping on April 18th before sorta flattening out on May 29th.

DeltaChicagoDog
07-06-2020, 11:38 AM

Finally, a modest proposal.