PDA

View Full Version : Coach34 and others

coastratdog
06-30-2020, 10:54 PM
Buddy of mine posted that the MHSAA is considering to switch the Spring sports to the Fall and Fall to the Spring. What's your thoughts?

HoopsDawg
06-30-2020, 11:13 PM
Spring football would be after signing day. You would have to wonder if all of the athletes who signed would still play or would they early enroll in college.

Players that play both football and basketball, which sport would they choose and would it water down both. For baseball/football players, would the baseball players choose to prepare for their spring/summer travel ball seasons.

Can you play football in the spring and turn around and play it again in the fall? These are just a few issues. I'm sure there are many more.

Commercecomet24
06-30-2020, 11:22 PM
They discussed it today. Non contact sports in fall and contact sports in the spring. No decision was expected on the issue.

HoopsDawg
06-30-2020, 11:29 PM
They discussed it today. Non contact sports in fall and contact sports in the spring. No decision was expected on the issue.

If you made me wager today, I would guess football in the fall. Delayed start. Conference games only + playoffs.

Commercecomet24
06-30-2020, 11:35 PM
If you made me wager today, I would guess football in the fall. Delayed start. Conference games only + playoffs.

That's probably where it's headed.

notsofarawaydawg
07-01-2020, 12:09 AM
Don Hinton, Executive Director of the MHSAA is resigning December 31st.

PKADogs55
07-01-2020, 01:18 AM
Buddy of mine posted that the MHSAA is considering to switch the Spring sports to the Fall and Fall to the Spring. What's your thoughts?

A little late there. Sorry BLANTONS is talking.

Leeshouldveflanked
07-01-2020, 04:00 AM
Don Hinton, Executive Director of the MHSAA is resigning December 31st.

^^^^Great News!^^^^

Coach34
07-01-2020, 06:33 AM
Hoop made some great points.

If we flip seasons- it will cause all kinds of problemsL

1. No football before signing day. Your top guys wont have a problem- but so many recruits are in the middle. Hurts both them and the colleges needing the evaluation time
2. Many Senior HS kids get very lazy come Springtime. Programs will lose some role player type kids that know they arent playing after HS. These kids will just choose to get a job after school or find something else to do instead of play.
3. Kids with major injuries in the Spring wont have the time to be rehab and be ready for the Fall- injuries like ACL tears and such
4. Wear and tear on players with a full Spring schedule then a full Fall.
5. Hurts baseball guys that play football.

I say delay things about 2-3 weeks and lets roll. It's so hot in August anyway- its actually good for the kids to delay it. When I was young nobody kicked off their season before the last Friday of August anyway. The death rate from the virus i basically at flu levels now. We know it attacks the elderly and people with other conditions for the most part. I saw a stat that said less than 200 people nationwide had died from the virus age 25 and under. It's time to live life.

Hambone
07-01-2020, 08:10 AM
I understand your point about the young kids not dying from it, but do these high school kids live on their own?

No, how many live with their grandparents? Big picture, yes, it probably won’t affect them at all, but what happens when they carry that virus home to their parents/guardians?

Don’t get me wrong, I want football more than anybody else, but what happens when just one person does from this?

Mobile Bay
07-01-2020, 08:36 AM
I say delay things about 2-3 weeks and lets roll. It's so hot in August anyway- its actually good for the kids to delay it.

Heck no. I say they should go back to two a day practices in August like I went through. Made me a better man

Commercecomet24
07-01-2020, 08:56 AM

1. No football before signing day. Your top guys wont have a problem- but so many recruits are in the middle. Hurts both them and the colleges needing the evaluation time
2. Many Senior HS kids get very lazy come Springtime. Programs will lose some role player type kids that know they arent playing after HS. These kids will just choose to get a job after school or find something else to do instead of play.
3. Kids with major injuries in the Spring wont have the time to be rehab and be ready for the Fall- injuries like ACL tears and such

I say delay things about 2-3 weeks and lets roll. It's so hot in August anyway- its actually good for the kids to delay it. When I was young nobody kicked off their season before the last Friday of August anyway. The death rate from the virus i basically at flu levels now. We know it attacks the elderly and people with other conditions for the most part. I saw a stat that said less than 200 people nationwide had died from the virus age 25 and under. It's time to live life.

Agreed!

shoeless joe
07-01-2020, 10:05 AM

#2 is what spring sports deal with every year. I’d like to see football deal with that for a change.

Agree on your other points.

Johnson85
07-01-2020, 10:10 AM
I understand your point about the young kids not dying from it, but do these high school kids live on their own?

No, how many live with their grandparents? Big picture, yes, it probably won’t affect them at all, but what happens when they carry that virus home to their parents/guardians?

Don’t get me wrong, I want football more than anybody else, but what happens when just one person does from this?

Then they die, just like they die from car wrecks, cancer, flu, pneumonia, heart attacks, etc.

We cannot stop bad things from happening. Trying to put kids' lives on hold for two or more years is not going to stop bad things from happening. Maybe we'll get lucky and get a vaccine early that will prevent deaths, but for the most part, we'll just be delaying them. And putting kids' lives on hold for two or more years is also a very bad thing, and I think this is one of those things where people are inadvertantly being giant ass holes. Losing a couple of years of high school or college may not be death, but that is a bad thing, and when you aggregate that across the country, that is a terrible result. All the people making the decisions seem to have zero sympathy or empathy for the young people who they are asking to make sacrifices much greater than the ones they are willing to make. Locking down for two years in your 40's or 50's is a world of difference between locking down in your teens or 20's.

Coach34
07-01-2020, 02:17 PM
What’s the difference in them being in classrooms all day and then going home? Riding the bus to school? Going to house parties on the weekends???? Is adding football to the mix really increasing anything?

FISHDAWG
07-01-2020, 02:39 PM
What?s the difference in them being in classrooms all day and then going home? Riding the bus to school? Going to house parties on the weekends???? Is adding football to the mix really increasing anything?

this is COVID ... please check all rational thought at the door

Political Hack
07-01-2020, 03:03 PM
August heat is more dangerous to them than COVID, but when they're away from each other they really need to act like they're infected. They likely are spreading it everywhere and we can't max out hospital capacity again. Want to play ball? Wear masks and stop the spread. Don't want to play ball? Don't wear masks. It's almost that simple.

StarkVegasSteve
07-01-2020, 03:29 PM
August heat is more dangerous to them than COVID, but when they're away from each other they really need to act like they're infected. They likely are spreading it everywhere and we can't max out hospital capacity again. Want to play ball? Wear masks and stop the spread. Don't want to play ball? Don't wear masks. It's almost that simple.

Here's the problem with that, they can wear a mask when they go in a store, but they're not going to wear a mask at a house party, workout, lake trip, etc. Then they bring it back home and give it to a mom or dad, brother or sister and they've spread it probably before they even knew they had it. Your idea is correct in theory, but most teens aren't going to isolate themselves and not go anywhere for the entire summer. It's just a fact. And I for one, wouldn't feel right telling a kid that they have to sit in the house all summer so that MAYBE they could play football in the fall.

Political Hack
07-01-2020, 03:44 PM
Here's the problem with that, they can wear a mask when they go in a store, but they're not going to wear a mask at a house party, workout, lake trip, etc. Then they bring it back home and give it to a mom or dad, brother or sister and they've spread it probably before they even knew they had it. Your idea is correct in theory, but most teens aren't going to isolate themselves and not go anywhere for the entire summer. It's just a fact. And I for one, wouldn't feel right telling a kid that they have to sit in the house all summer so that MAYBE they could play football in the fall.

If football players don't socially distance themselves and wear mask, football will be over before it starts. Not trying to suggest a policy here. Just telling you what's got to happen right now to save football, if it's even salvageable at this point.

StarkVegasSteve
07-01-2020, 03:58 PM
If football players don't socially distance themselves and wear mask, football will be over before it starts. Not trying to suggest a policy here. Just telling you what's got to happen right now to save football, if it's even salvageable at this point.

And that's my main issue with trying to tell people what to do. No one knows what to do. Because as we've seen we have to take this thing week by week and honestly day by day. It could be better in two weeks or we could see there's no way in hell there will be any kind of season. If it was a thing where you could tell people that if you wear a mask for a month then we'll be fine then everyone would do it. But there's no end game to this. It MIGHT be wear a mask for a month and everything will be fine, but it could also be wear a mask for 6 months and we're in just about the same position. I agree that if you wear a mask it'll probably help some, but some isn't enough to get everyone on the same page in regards to masks.

Hambone
07-01-2020, 09:26 PM
I’m not following, most schools are offering the option to distance learn, therefore being in the classroom or on the bus is moot.

Coach34
07-01-2020, 09:33 PM
I’m not following, most schools are offering the option to distance learn, therefore being in the classroom or on the bus is moot.

Most of Mississippi cannot "distance learn". Most schools have over 50% of students that have no way to distance learn because they dont have internet at home or a device to do their work on. I had about 75 students this Spring at Quitman in my 3 classes- less than 10 completed their "distance learning" assignments.

Distance learning is not feasible in the state of Mississippi outside of your suburbs. Parents have nobody to watch their kids while they work. They have to have kids go to school. School is the only way about 20% are able to eat regularly. School is happening this Fall.

Cowbell
07-01-2020, 09:36 PM

No it's not at all that simple. My wife caught this and neither of us went anywhere. I mean no Where. We used instacart for groceries and we both have jobs that keep us away from people and we live way out in the country... masks dont make that big of a difference when people are constantly touching their face anyway.

Commercecomet24
07-01-2020, 10:03 PM
Most of Mississippi cannot "distance learn". Most schools have over 50% of students that have no way to distance learn because they dont have internet at home or a device to do their work on. I had about 75 students this Spring at Quitman in my 3 classes- less than 10 completed their "distance learning" assignments.

Distance learning is not feasible in the state of Mississippi outside of your suburbs. Parents have nobody to watch their kids while they work. They have to have kids go to school. School is the only way about 20% are able to eat regularly. School is happening this Fall.

You nailed it brother. This.

Hell for a lot of these kids it's more risky for them to not be in school than the virus.

preachermatt83
07-02-2020, 12:41 AM
Or, everyone could stop whining, man up and go back to living life. Who knows.

Commercecomet24
07-02-2020, 01:24 AM
Or, everyone could stop whining, man up and go back to living life. Who knows.

Yep.

Liverpooldawg
07-02-2020, 01:45 AM
The thing that most of you (a few do) don't get is that neither the Department of Education, the MHSAA, or the MAIS will make that call. Bitching to them and about them is useless.

William Tecumsah Sherman
07-02-2020, 07:03 AM
Honest question here: The canton school district has said they plan to go to school 3 days and do distance learning 2. Who keeps the kids the other 2 days when parents work? Will it be grandparents who are at risk of disease and now have to be around grandkids? Would going to school every other day really stop the spread? Am I missing the logic here?

Political Hack
07-02-2020, 07:03 AM
No it's not at all that simple. My wife caught this and neither of us went anywhere. I mean no Where. We used instacart for groceries and we both have jobs that keep us away from people and we live way out in the country... masks dont make that big of a difference when people are constantly touching their face anyway.

So "don't try to prevent the spread" is your answer because you don't think masks work?

If you are within 6' of a person with COVID and neither of you are wearing a mask, you have a 17+% chance of getting it. If the person with COVID is wearing a mask it's 3%. That's a 6 fold increase in transmission. If you want to kill football season keep making excuses to not wear masks. Even the President, who isn't a fan of science, finally admitted people should wear masks. Which I believe means you have permission to be ok with masks now. You'll have to ask him, but I think he told FNC that y'all arent calling masks a "hoax" anymore. Coronavirus is no longer a Democrat hoax either. It's really real. But Russia having our soldiers killed, that's still a "hoax," for now.

Cowbell
07-02-2020, 07:09 AM
So "don't try to prevent the spread" is your answer because you don't think masks work?

If you are within 6' of a person with COVID and neither of you are wearing a mask, you have a 17+% chance of getting it. If the person with COVID is wearing a mask it's 3%. That's a 6 fold increase in transmission. If you want to kill football season keep making excuses to not wear masks. Even the President, who isn't a fan of science, finally admitted people should wear masks. Which I believe means you have permission to be ok with masks now. You'll have to ask him, but I think he told FNC that y'all arent calling masks a "hoax" anymore. Coronavirus is no longer a Democrat hoax either. It's really real. But Russia having our soldiers killed, that's still a "hoax," for now.

I literally just told you my wife got it so I don't follow your hoax assumption. Work on your reading comprehension.

I'm saying that masks alone aren't going to be the difference maker. It's not that simple. There are way too many people that are getting this without ever leaving home.

FISHDAWG
07-02-2020, 07:20 AM
I literally just told you my wife got it so I don't follow your hoax assumption. Work on your reading comprehension.

I'm saying that masks alone aren't going to be the difference maker. It's not that simple. There are way too many people that are getting this without ever leaving home.

he just can't pass up an opportunity for that horseshit political propaganda

Political Hack
07-02-2020, 07:59 AM
Horseshit political propaganda? Which part? The science part or the part based on the words that came out of the Presidents mouth?

Wear a mask. Save football.

AmiteDog
07-02-2020, 08:22 AM

You are exactly right. I had a daughter and stepson in 8th grade in Rankin County in the burbs and the distance ?learning? was basically glorified busy work. There was no challenge to it at all. And even they said that a good number of their classmates just chose to do none of it at all.

If you as a parent in MS,at least in the public schools, are banking on distance learning for your kid you may as well just let them skip the year altogether. It would be about the same result.

Jarius
07-02-2020, 08:35 AM
A virus that has virtually zero chance of killing anyone that is playing football will not determine whether or not we have football. People trying to politicize it will determine that, but it will have zero to do with the safety of anyone playing and 100 % to do with how they can spin this politically. The southeast will play football because the governors of those states will have zero chance of getting reelected if they try to push that horse shit down their citizens' throats. Any coach or at risk person can decide on their own whether or not they need to be in a locker room environment that increases their risk of catching COVID. If they decide not to coach, there will be plenty of people willing to take their job, just like there are plenty of people willing to take jobs at every single company in America right now.

Mobile Bay
07-02-2020, 08:41 AM
Alright you can say all you want about what football players should do. But lets look at some real science here. Football players are generally highly fit males during the portion of their pubescent and post pubescent lives. Women will find them attractive and they will find women attractive.

So just like it has always been, people that age are going to have sex. A lot of it. As much as possible. And there is no force on earth that is going to stop it. So we might as well have football, in class learning, the whole nine yards. Because none of those things will matter if you can't stop the hooking up.

EDIT: Here is a perfect example of how teenagers act. You can't stop it. https://www.al.com/news/2020/07/tuscaloosa-students-held-parties-bet-on-who-got-coronavirus-first.html

Really Clark?
07-02-2020, 08:42 AM
There were school districts that took the grades at the time students were ordered to stay at home for the remainder of the year. Nothing was required and in some cases, no or very little additional work was assigned. Not just very small schools either. I know a 4A school that sent kids home and the students did nothing the rest of the year.

Ari Gold
07-02-2020, 08:46 AM
The Chinese virus isn’t even in the top 10 things to worry about when it comes to football . All sports for that matter
everyone be smart use common sense , masks when needed , practice good hygiene .. and everything will be fine

But we all know what this is all really about...

William Tecumsah Sherman
07-02-2020, 08:47 AM
What are parents supposed to do with kids during the day if distance learning is required?

basedog
07-02-2020, 08:49 AM

So were you sick or did you have any symptoms? I keep reading where test aren't accurate or they are saying 30% are not correct. My thing is if one doesn't feel bad or is sick, has no symptoms but yet gets tested and shows you have the virus, what the hell does that mean?

Commercecomet24
07-02-2020, 08:55 AM
There were school districts that took the grades at the time students were ordered to stay at home for the remainder of the year. Nothing was required and in some cases, no or very little additional work was assigned. Not just very small schools either. I know a 4A school that sent kids home and the students did nothing the rest of the year.

It happened in all the Jones County schools. West Jones is 5A and it happened here.

Commercecomet24
07-02-2020, 08:58 AM
This is what I'm hearing in Jones county. Schools may not open here until September and the first semester will finish at Thanksgiving and spring semester will start in January. This is tenative but looks like what's going to happen here.

AmiteDog
07-02-2020, 09:01 AM

That is basically what Rankin County did. If the kid did nothing at all their grades after three 9 weeks was their final grade. If they made an effort and did most of the distance learning assignments they were able to raise that grade a few points. Again, it was glorified busy work. There wasnt much LEARNING going on.

And with teachers out until August 1, there is no way public school districts are going to be able to offer anything more substantial than what they did before. Kids need the presence of a teacher and hands on learning that they will never get over the computer with worksheets and busy reading assignments.

Really Clark?
07-02-2020, 09:01 AM
It happened in all the Jones County schools. West Jones is 5A and it happened here.

There you go. We have to find a way for students to learn and not get further behind.

Commercecomet24
07-02-2020, 09:02 AM
There you go. We have to find a way for students to learn and not get further behind.

Absolutely 100%!

Johnson85
07-02-2020, 09:10 AM
Honest question here: The canton school district has said they plan to go to school 3 days and do distance learning 2. Who keeps the kids the other 2 days when parents work? Will it be grandparents who are at risk of disease and now have to be around grandkids? Would going to school every other day really stop the spread? Am I missing the logic here?

Well, you have to remember how affluent Canton is. They probably have super competent public employees in general and of course the vast majority of the students will have one or two parents at home that are capable of and willing to take on the role of home school teacher.**

Johnson85
07-02-2020, 09:11 AM

You know shit has gotten insanely politicized when Coach34 is the voice of reason and is not trying to stir shit up and create controversy.

Commercecomet24
07-02-2020, 09:28 AM
You know shit has gotten insanely politicized when Coach34 is the voice of reason and is not trying to stir shit up and create controversy.

Well said..

parabrave
07-02-2020, 10:25 AM
Heck no. I say they should go back to two a day practices in August like I went through. Made me a better man

I went through Airborne school in August, Back when it was hard, and Ft Benning is a frying pan at that time of the year. Wouldn't have made it if I hadn't been conditioned by 2 a days. Nothing like nice 5 mile runs on a nice hot humid august morning.

shoeless joe
07-02-2020, 10:47 AM
This is what I'm hearing in Jones county. Schools may not open here until September and the first semester will finish at Thanksgiving and spring semester will start in January. This is tenative but looks like what's going to happen here.

As a teacher that loves to hunt this plan sounds great!!

But since I have an upcoming first grader I want her in school. She needs it. And TBH the students I would have need it.

Political Hack
07-02-2020, 10:56 AM
A virus that has virtually zero chance of killing anyone that is playing football will not determine whether or not we have football. People trying to politicize it will determine that, but it will have zero to do with the safety of anyone playing and 100 % to do with how they can spin this politically. The southeast will play football because the governors of those states will have zero chance of getting reelected if they try to push that horse shit down their citizens' throats. Any coach or at risk person can decide on their own whether or not they need to be in a locker room environment that increases their risk of catching COVID. If they decide not to coach, there will be plenty of people willing to take their job, just like there are plenty of people willing to take jobs at every single company in America right now.

This post is not going to age well.

People aren't worried about catching it. We're worried about spreading. Taking 1 kid and giving it to 80 is spreading it.

Death doesn't matter. ICU bed space, hospital space, ventilators and PPE matter. If we reach capacity, or threaten capacity, football season will be doomed. This has absolutely ZERO to do with the health effects on football players, but I can't almost guarantee you with 100% certainty that a football player will die this year due to COVID related complications if we play a full season. In fact, it will be multiple players. The pediatric inflammatory related illnesses stemming from COVID that impacts kids is rare, but it's very deadly. Percentage wise, some will get it and die just like in NYC.

Commercecomet24
07-02-2020, 10:59 AM
As a teacher that loves to hunt this plan sounds great!!

But since I have an upcoming first grader I want her in school. She needs it. And TBH the students I would have need it.

I agree wholeheartedly. They need to be in school.

Jarius
07-02-2020, 01:47 PM
This post is not going to age well.

People aren't worried about catching it. We're worried about spreading. Taking 1 kid and giving it to 80 is spreading it.

Death doesn't matter. ICU bed space, hospital space, ventilators and PPE matter. If we reach capacity, or threaten capacity, football season will be doomed. This has absolutely ZERO to do with the health effects on football players, but I can't almost guarantee you with 100% certainty that a football player will die this year due to COVID related complications if we play a full season. In fact, it will be multiple players. The pediatric inflammatory related illnesses stemming from COVID that impacts kids is rare, but it's very deadly. Percentage wise, some will get it and die just like in NYC.

It will be a near miracle (in a bad way) if any players die from COVID. The only people that anyone should worry about spreading it to is the older / at risk crowd, and the average age of infection has dropped about 20 years. Every single thing going on right now SCREAMS that things are getting much much better but we have some people with some really bad motives spreading some really bad fear mongering garbage. Deaths don’t matter ? For 4 months all anyone heard was how high the death rate was. Now that more testing has occurred and the death rate is plummeting, deaths no longer matter.

Johnson85
07-02-2020, 03:41 PM
It will be a near miracle (in a bad way) if any players die from COVID. The only people that anyone should worry about spreading it to is the older / at risk crowd, and the average age of infection has dropped about 20 years. Every single thing going on right now SCREAMS that things are getting much much better but we have some people with some really bad motives spreading some really bad fear mongering garbage. Deaths don’t matter ? For 4 months all anyone heard was how high the death rate was. Now that more testing has occurred and the death rate is plummeting, deaths no longer matter.

Not sure about that. Mississippi has had 7 fatalities between 18 and 29, out of 5,848 confirmed cases. That works out to about .12% cfr. It's probably pretty safe to cut that in half, so let's say .06% ifr for that age group. Say there are roughly 11,050 FBS scholarship athletes, that'd mean you'd expect about 6.63 deaths acorss all 11,050 athletes. Of course, that's 18-29 year olds, not 18-23 year olds, so maybe 18-23 year olds will have an even lower IFR. That's also Mississippi numbers, and we obviously have a lot of poor and obese people among 18-29 year olds and other health conditions, so it may be that the IFR for healthy 18-23 year olds is more like .00006%. But it seems likely that somebody out of those 11,050 players, even though they are athletes, probably have a significant undetected health issue that puts them at risk, and some of them may seriously struggle. Maybe it's just a true freshman that's really not all that athletic or in good shape, but was freaking huge so a bad team with poor recruiting just took a flyer on him. And that 11,050 is just scholarship athletes, so the total number is presumably a good bit higher.

Not saying we shouldn't have football because of that. We should have football; it's still a very low risk. But I wouldn't want people to be shocked when a football player dies. With big numbres, there are going to be people that die of any number of low probability risks. And those numbers are just for FBS. I'm assuming other divisions will be much less likely to play b/c it's not profitable for them to begin with, but if they play, that will be a lot more than 11,050.

Jarius
07-02-2020, 04:36 PM
Not sure about that. Mississippi has had 7 fatalities between 18 and 29, out of 5,848 confirmed cases. That works out to about .12% cfr. It's probably pretty safe to cut that in half, so let's say .06% ifr for that age group. Say there are roughly 11,050 FBS scholarship athletes, that'd mean you'd expect about 6.63 deaths acorss all 11,050 athletes. Of course, that's 18-29 year olds, not 18-23 year olds, so maybe 18-23 year olds will have an even lower IFR. That's also Mississippi numbers, and we obviously have a lot of poor and obese people among 18-29 year olds and other health conditions, so it may be that the IFR for healthy 18-23 year olds is more like .00006%. But it seems likely that somebody out of those 11,050 players, even though they are athletes, probably have a significant undetected health issue that puts them at risk, and some of them may seriously struggle. Maybe it's just a true freshman that's really not all that athletic or in good shape, but was freaking huge so a bad team with poor recruiting just took a flyer on him. And that 11,050 is just scholarship athletes, so the total number is presumably a good bit higher.

Not saying we shouldn't have football because of that. We should have football; it's still a very low risk. But I wouldn't want people to be shocked when a football player dies. With big numbres, there are going to be people that die of any number of low probability risks. And those numbers are just for FBS. I'm assuming other divisions will be much less likely to play b/c it's not profitable for them to begin with, but if they play, that will be a lot more than 11,050.

A football player has a bigger chance of dying in a car wreck on the way to practice than dying of COVID. Not having football because of player safety concerns is just completely stupid. There is no other way to spin it. Acceptable risk is a term people need to come to terms with.

Political Hack
07-03-2020, 10:49 AM
A football player has a bigger chance of dying in a car wreck on the way to practice than dying of COVID. Not having football because of player safety concerns is just completely stupid. There is no other way to spin it. Acceptable risk is a term people need to come to terms with.

That's statistically incorrect, but I think you were just throwing out a risk and suggesting they could easily die in other ways too. Which is correct. But COVID is disproportionately impacting African Americans, which also represents a large percentage of football players. It is a player safety issue. It's not the only player safety issue. But it's certainly a player safety issue.

Todd4State
07-03-2020, 02:47 PM
That's statistically incorrect, but I think you were just throwing out a risk and suggesting they could easily die in other ways too. Which is correct. But COVID is disproportionately impacting African Americans, which also represents a large percentage of football players. It is a player safety issue. It's not the only player safety issue. But it's certainly a player safety issue.

If a player feels unsafe then sit it out. Problem solved.

And I can tell you the statistics of high school football players that are African American that I have seen in the hospital on a vent- 0%. And I've got a pretty good sample size.

Homedawg
07-03-2020, 02:52 PM
If a player feels unsafe then sit it out. Problem solved.

And I can tell you the statistics of high school football players that are African American that I have seen in the hospital on a vent- 0%. And I've got a pretty good sample size.

It's not like they can't catch it from being away from school either.......

Cowbell
07-03-2020, 03:14 PM
Prove how that is statistically incorrect. How many college football players have died from covid vs car wrecks?

Coach34
07-03-2020, 07:05 PM
School is happening
Football should be happening

Trump was proven right about Hydroxy and the media lied to kill people

Everything going on is about the 2020 election. It?s the most important election in this country?s history. If Bill Barr is allowed to finish his job- it will be the end of the Democratic Party. And they know it

Commercecomet24
07-03-2020, 07:18 PM
School is happening
Football should be happening

Trump was proven right about Hydroxy and the media lied to kill people

Everything going on is about the 2020 election. It?s the most important election in this country?s history. If Bill Barr is allowed to finish his job- it will be the end of the Democratic Party. And they know it

Yep!

Todd4State
07-03-2020, 08:24 PM
It's not like they can't catch it from being away from school either.......

Very true.

Jarius
07-04-2020, 09:47 AM

No one is forcing anyone to play football. Anyone that feels unsafe doesn’t have to play. If football players didn’t play football for every health risk (to their age group) to something like COVID then they would have quit long ago, because it simply isn’t a real health risk to almost anyone in their age bracket. The CDC Came out the other day with a study that estimates that 20 million people in the US have already had COVID. If that is actually correct my car wreck analogy is correct. Even if they aren’t the point remains.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/06/25/883520249/cdc-at-least-20-million-americans-have-had-coronavirus-heres-who-s-at-highest-ri

Political Hack
07-04-2020, 10:08 AM
No one is forcing anyone to play football. Anyone that feels unsafe doesn’t have to play. If football players didn’t play football for every health risk (to their age group) to something like COVID then they would have quit long ago, because it simply isn’t a real health risk to almost anyone in their age bracket. The CDC Came out the other day with a study that estimates that 20 million people in the US have already had COVID. If that is actually correct my car wreck analogy is correct. Even if they aren’t the point remains.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/06/25/883520249/cdc-at-least-20-million-americans-have-had-coronavirus-heres-who-s-at-highest-ri

I agree the point generally remains regardless of what the data show. Life/death risks is low to football players and you're right that they knowingly assume the risks. HOWEVER It's another variable on top of a sport that's already riddled by significant risks. Numbers are down everywhere in youth football, which is to be expected, especially right now.

But again, life/death isn't the issue here. It's hospital bed space and ICU bed space. Nobody has clearly communicated that to the American people. Nobody has a "shared goal" in any of this. Every TV station is reporting numbers. IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE IT. It only matters how many people we can effectively treat at a given time. Monitor that. Measure it. Report it. And dictate social distancing and mask MANDATES based on that.

There is a game plan to manage this. It was created under Obama and why it was rejected on its face (in my opinion). There is a 17 page classified CDC response plan specific to this pandemic that was thrown out the window too.

Had we followed any of these guidelines everyone would know when we open, when we close, and how close we are to opening and closing at any given moment. Instead we just fly by the seat of our pants and wing it. So... we'll see what happens to football in the short term, but long term the hospitals are going to become incapacitated and we will have to shut down again. Again, just my opinion, but this is the biggest failure of leadership in the history of the United States.

Jarius
07-04-2020, 10:32 AM
I agree the point generally remains regardless of what the data show. Life/death risks is low to football players and you're right that they knowingly assume the risks. HOWEVER It's another variable on top of a sport that's already riddled by significant risks. Numbers are down everywhere in youth football, which is to be expected, especially right now.

But again, life/death isn't the issue here. It's hospital bed space and ICU bed space. Nobody has clearly communicated that to the American people. Nobody has a "shared goal" in any of this. Every TV station is reporting numbers. IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE IT. It only matters how many people we can effectively treat at a given time. Monitor that. Measure it. Report it. And dictate social distancing and mask MANDATES based on that.

There is a game plan to manage this. It was created under Obama and why it was rejected on its face (in my opinion). There is a 17 page classified CDC response plan specific to this pandemic that was thrown out the window too.

Had we followed any of these guidelines everyone would know when we open, when we close, and how close we are to opening and closing at any given moment. Instead we just fly by the seat of our pants and wing it. So... we'll see what happens to football in the short term, but long term the hospitals are going to become incapacitated and we will have to shut down again. Again, just my opinion, but this is the biggest failure of leadership in the history of the United States.

Hospitals are not going to become incapacitated so long as the average age of the infected remains where it is. Hospitalizations have risen in part to allowing more patients and the ones who are coming in for covid aren’t staying as long because younger people don’t take as long to get over this virus. If the infection age starts rising then we will have a concern. As of right now things are going about as well as possible throughout the country with the exception of a few places and the media is acting like the exact opposite is happening. Cases going up and deaths going down for 10 straight weeks is an outstanding trend and what everyone should be talking about, but it doesn’t fit the narrative.

Political Hack
07-04-2020, 11:15 AM
Arizona is about to tap out.

Political Hack
07-04-2020, 11:17 AM
Hospitals are not going to become incapacitated so long as the average age of the infected remains where it is. Hospitalizations have risen in part to allowing more patients and the ones who are coming in for covid aren’t staying as long because younger people don’t take as long to get over this virus. If the infection age starts rising then we will have a concern. As of right now things are going about as well as possible throughout the country with the exception of a few places and the media is acting like the exact opposite is happening. Cases going up and deaths going down for 10 straight weeks is an outstanding trend and what everyone should be talking about, but it doesn’t fit the narrative.

The fact that you wrote this while states are closing down again says enough. Carry on.

Jarius
07-04-2020, 11:48 AM
The fact that you wrote this while states are closing down again says enough. Carry on.

The fact that you are choosing to look at a minuscule amount of states closing down while ignoring the vast majority that are not says enough. The overwhelming majority of the country is absolutely fine with bed space. But what would I know about bed space? I only managed it for the entire CENTCOM AOR for a year. Carry on.

1bigdawg
07-04-2020, 11:58 AM

Not every state has as good a set of public stats as Mississippi. However, in Mississippi, ICU occupancy has been relatively flat for 6 weeks in the 145 to 168 range. Two months ago, we had occupancy of 240 or more. So the curve in Mississippi is not only flattened, but there is ample room for a spike.

Political Hack
07-04-2020, 02:06 PM
Not every state has as good a set of public stats as Mississippi. However, in Mississippi, ICU occupancy has been relatively flat for 6 weeks in the 145 to 168 range. Two months ago, we had occupancy of 240 or more. So the curve in Mississippi is not only flattened, but there is ample room for a spike.

Then keep playing ball. Not hard, is it?

Schultzy
07-05-2020, 01:34 PM
Football and hoops ain’t happening this school year for college or high school because no one in a leadership capacity can take the risk of being in favor of it. Maybe some NFL but I doubt it.

For the record, I’m for mask optional at all times inside or out; let the virus run its cycle bc 60-80 percent of the population is going to get it no matter what.

50% are asymptomatic
The remaining 49% are flulike

College baseball may happen in the spring bc it’s outdoors.
1% serious and they’re all over 60

Dawgology
07-05-2020, 01:51 PM
Football and hoops ain’t happening this school year for college or high school because no one in a leadership capacity can take the risk of being in favor of it. Maybe some NFL but I doubt it.

For the record, I’m for mask optional at all times inside or out; let the virus run its cycle bc 60-80 percent of the population is going to get it no matter what.

50% are asymptomatic

I’ll have a free autumn for once then. Looking forward to it.

AmiteDog
07-05-2020, 05:16 PM
College sports are done for the foreseeable future. This is going to bankrupt many conferences and schools.

Coach34
07-05-2020, 08:31 PM
https://twitter.com/bshields0244/status/1279865406166052864

Commercecomet24
07-05-2020, 09:17 PM

The kids need to get back to school
And back to their normal activities.

Todd4State
07-05-2020, 09:55 PM

The kids need to get back to school
And back to their normal activities.

I agree. The thing is I think most of them want to do just that. And the ones that don't should just be given the option to sit.

The other thing is I don't think spring football is very viable of an option. If you play 12 games that's going to take the season to May. If you only do conference games that takes you to April. Either way there is about half the time for players to rest, develop, and etc. in the offseason and all of the preseason/spring stuff would have to roll right into the summer almost just as soon as the regular season ends. To me, it seems like that would be like telling a pitcher "hey, normally you're going to throw 100 innings a year competitively but now it's going to be 200". It just seems very unsafe to do that.

Jack Lambert
07-05-2020, 10:01 PM

For those reasons they play. I would not be surprise if the NCAA suspend the early signing period this year. (For this year only)

Commercecomet24
07-05-2020, 10:05 PM
I agree. The thing is I think most of them want to do just that. And the ones that don't should just be given the option to sit.

The other thing is I don't think spring football is very viable of an option. If you play 12 games that's going to take the season to May. If you only do conference games that takes you to April. Either way there is about half the time for players to rest, develop, and etc. in the offseason and all of the preseason/spring stuff would have to roll right into the summer almost just as soon as the regular season ends. To me, it seems like that would be like telling a pitcher "hey, normally you're going to throw 100 innings a year competitively but now it's going to be 200". It just seems very unsafe to do that.

Exactly. There's to many downsides to trying to flip seasons.

Todd4State
07-05-2020, 11:01 PM
Exactly. There's to many downsides to trying to flip seasons.

I notice that the media Coronabros want to do it. You would think that "sportswriters" would understand that.

RiverCityDawg
07-06-2020, 09:36 AM

50% are asymptomatic

Not sure about HS because it's a completely different dynamic, but I'm thinking the opposite as you for college.... The leaders can't afford NOT to take the risk. The alternative is going broke, defaulting on loans, mass layoffs, etc. Unless they legally can't do it or the players just refuse to play, they will find a way to play some sort of college football season. Too much on the line for them not to.

Coach34
07-06-2020, 10:28 AM
Not sure about HS because it's a completely different dynamic, but I'm thinking the opposite as you for college.... The leaders can't afford NOT to take the risk. The alternative is going broke, defaulting on loans, mass layoffs, etc. Unless they legally can't do it or the players just refuse to play, they will find a way to play some sort of college football season. Too much on the line for them not to.

You got Juniors and Seniors working to earn millions of dollars in their future. Gonna be hard to tell them no football.

Hambone
07-06-2020, 01:53 PM
Kinda like all of the players that got drafted in the MLB draft...... oh wait......

Coach34
07-06-2020, 03:37 PM
Kinda like all of the players that got drafted in the MLB draft...... oh wait......

totally different animal- but you helped my point. The draft was shortened and many, many players have lost any opportunity to play pro baseball.

Schultzy
07-06-2020, 03:57 PM
You got Juniors and Seniors working to earn millions of dollars in their future. Gonna be hard to tell them no football.

Was it hard to tell 40 million you?re out of a job? They don?t care about Juniors, Seniors, athletics or any amount of money for them; they only care about their world view.

The issue is never about the issue, it?s about the revolution. We just better hope the political right can find it's balls.

Hambone
07-06-2020, 04:29 PM
Is it? How many high school seniors didnt get their shot in baseball this year? Sorry, it is the same thing.

Coach34
07-06-2020, 05:22 PM
Was it hard to tell 40 million you?re out of a job? They don?t care about Juniors, Seniors, athletics or any amount of money for them; they only care about their world view.

The issue is never about the issue, it?s about the revolution. We just better hope the political right can find it's balls.

I agree about the right finding its balls- but there are alot of P5 schools that have to have football this Fall or their athletic programs are going to crash. Greed will win in the end now that the death rate has plummeted as we knew it would.

Hambone
07-06-2020, 05:55 PM
Serious question. Is it at all possible that people (especially compromised) could potentially get the flu and corona at the same time once flu season starts up? Thus inflating deaths in the fall?

Not saying that will happen, just something I thought about today. If that does happen, then I hope everyone has some good books to read this winter.

Schultzy
07-06-2020, 06:29 PM
I agree about the right finding its balls- but there are alot of P5 schools that have to have football this Fall or their athletic programs are going to crash. Greed will win in the end now that the death rate has plummeted as we knew it would.

I hope you’re right and I’m wrong, but if masks are required all over campuses then it’s going to be difficult to justify full contact sports with snot bubbles and locker rooms.

Don’t underestimate the greed for power of those who hate our current system of government, many of these people are inside the university/educational system and would love to see it crash in order to exact change; that’s the end game and right now it looks to me like the other side is winning by default.

SteelCurtain74
07-06-2020, 06:35 PM
Serious question. Is it at all possible that people (especially compromised) could potentially get the flu and corona at the same time once flu season starts up? Thus inflating deaths in the fall?

Not saying that will happen, just something I thought about today. If that does happen, then I hope everyone has some good books to read this winter.

I don't know the answer to your question but I wouldn't think that having one would exclude someone from contracting the other. My concern would be someone having the flu but it's diagnosed as Covid. According to the CDC website these are the similar symptoms of Covid and the flu:

Signs and symptoms

Similarities

Both COVID-19 and flu can have varying degrees of signs and symptoms, ranging from no symptoms (asymptomatic) to severe symptoms. Common symptoms of COVID-19 and flu include:

Fever or feeling feverish/chills
Cough
Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
Fatigue (tiredness)
Sore throat
Runny or stuffy nose
Muscle pain or body aches
Headache
Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults

Imagine that the flu affects multiple players on a football team. If misdiagnosed as Covid, it could impact not only the team but possibly the entire school in regards to the action the administration would take believing there was a Covid outbreak.

Jack Lambert
07-06-2020, 06:35 PM
I talked to an MAIS ref at the gym. He said they got the word that private schools the decision has been made to play football. It is going to happen at private schools according to him. If true how much pressure does that put on public schools? Also if public schools do not go how many football players crossover and trust me there are booster who will come up with money.

Todd4State
07-06-2020, 08:41 PM
I hope you’re right and I’m wrong, but if masks are required all over campuses then it’s going to be difficult to justify full contact sports with snot bubbles and locker rooms.

Don’t underestimate the greed for power of those who hate our current system of government, many of these people are inside the university/educational system and would love to see it crash in order to exact change; that’s the end game and right now it looks to me like the other side is winning by default.

The one saving grace here is if say a Dan Wolken goes "woke" every major college football team will cut his ass off. With sports it's a delicate balance with the media because they need access- and the teams hold that card. People like him have pissed off enough people like Oklahoma State his ass could be on the chopping block very quickly if he doesn't start learning how to shut up his dumbass mouth.

I'm telling you- the St. Louis Cardinals are masters at doing this. I'm just more familiar with their organization so I'm sure others are the same but I guarantee you that there is NOTHING that gets out that they don't want out. And what they let out is for their own benefit. I can tell you that they have covered up FBI investigations into players doing drugs before.

Heck- we've even seen it at MSU. Ask Matt Stevens. Last year the media got cut off from football practice entirely after Horka's bullshit hit piece on Michael Story a YEAR after the incident occurred.

Todd4State
07-06-2020, 08:44 PM
I talked to an MAIS ref at the gym. He said they got the word that private schools the decision has been made to play football. It is going to happen at private schools according to him. If true how much pressure does that put on public schools? Also if public schools do not go how many football players crossover and trust me there are booster who will come up with money.

Probably a lot. Pretty easy to do social distancing by just limiting tickets sold. Allow parents in. No band. Students are first come first served based on grade.

I think if there is one thing that football has going in it's favor as far as college it's that most teams play outdoors. I know that there are a handful that play in a dome like Syracuse and North Dakota State but the vast majority are all outdoors.