PDA

View Full Version : 80s greatest decade ?

Red Clay Hills
06-30-2020, 10:28 PM
I was born in 1982 so I don't think I qualify to answer since most small kids enjoy that time of life. liked the 90s but I assume most people in their teen years look at those fondly for the most part. I always hear folks that were teens/young adults in the 80s talk about the greatness of that decade so maybe they have that same viewpoint I did of the 90s. Maybe some of you that were late 20s and older in the 80s can answer. Were the 80s the greatest decade ?

dawgday166
06-30-2020, 10:32 PM
I was born in 1982 so I don't think I qualify to answer since most small kids enjoy that time of life. liked the 90s but I assume most people in their teen years look at those fondly for the most part. I always hear folks that were teens/young adults in the 80s talk about the greatness of that decade so maybe they have that same viewpoint I did of the 90s. Maybe some of you that were late 20s and older in the 80s can answer. Were the 80s the greatest decade ?

As an MSU fan ... not so much except in baseball.

Overall ... without a doubt IMO. Best pro sports (Joe cool, Magic/Bird), best music (MTV, hair bands, heavy metal), partying was great, cost of living was low, education was affordable, and I can probably think of 2 or 3 other things. Good times.

BeastMan
06-30-2020, 10:33 PM
As an MSU fan ... not so much except in baseball.

Overall ... without a doubt IMO. Best pro sports, best music, partying was great, cost of living was low, education was affordable, and I can probably think of 2 or 3 other things. Good times.

Best music? Lmao you can’t be serious.

dawgday166
06-30-2020, 10:34 PM
Best music? Lmao you can’t be serious.

I am. I really like me some good lead guitar. There are some other good decades but I'm partial to 80's. 60's & 70's were good. 90's pretty decent. What's your fav decade?

msstate7
06-30-2020, 10:38 PM
This site says 80's best music...

https://www.thetoptens.com/best-decades-music-history/

dawgday166
06-30-2020, 10:39 PM
This site says 80's best music...

https://www.thetoptens.com/best-decades-music-history/

Once again ... outstanding research there 7.

dawgday166
06-30-2020, 10:44 PM
Just to add something ... music nowadays sucks.

Commercecomet24
06-30-2020, 10:45 PM
Mid 70s - mid 80s music was outstanding.

Commercecomet24
06-30-2020, 10:46 PM
Just to add something ... music nowadays sucks.

I'll second that lol

dawgday166
06-30-2020, 10:49 PM

Agree ... mid 70's is when it probably all kinda started and exploded in early to mid 80's before tapering off toward the end. Great MTV videos back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRDgihVDEko

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
06-30-2020, 10:59 PM
I grew up in the 80's and it was an ok time for music some good, some great and a lot that was bad. Best time of rock n roll in my opinion was from '67 - '82. More influential bands and one hit wonders than any era before or since. Talking pop, disco and harder rock too.

BeardoMSU
06-30-2020, 11:08 PM
It's impossible to pick which decade is best for music; especially if you're into different genres.

Best decade for film, though?...that's easy, the '70s and its not close.

Commercecomet24
06-30-2020, 11:24 PM
Agree ... mid 70's is when it probably all kinda started and exploded in early to mid 80's before tapering off toward the end. Great MTV videos back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRDgihVDEko

Yep. Nailed it.

Red Clay Hills
06-30-2020, 11:37 PM
I think with music I was like most in high school and college that stayed current. I always had some 70s music influence from my dad growing up and actually prefer 70s and 80s music (rock and country, even some pop) these days.

starkvegasdawg
07-01-2020, 12:36 AM
The 80's were the most carefree happy decade we've had in a long time. All of the protests and unrest of the 60's were over and the bell bottoms and leisure suits of the 70's had gone out of style. It was a time of big hair, big music, and black trans ams with the eagle on the hood. We were crushing it economically and the Cold War was ending. Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall.

Todd4State
07-01-2020, 01:03 AM
I don't really remember the 70's

I grew up in the 80's and 90's.

The 80's honestly were pretty good. I didn't pay attention to MSU sports at all other than baseball. The Cardinals were good most of the time. Socially and music wise it was pretty fun. Very All-American if you will.

The 90's was just kind of depressing for a little while. I liked the Grunge scene for the 3-5 years of it's height. The late 90's seemed to get better than the early 90's. I was a student at MSU from 1996-2000 and it was honestly the most fun I have ever had in my life. My last football season was 1999. The 1998 baseball season was awesome I don't care what anyone says. Mark McGwire hitting 70 was a nice consolation to not even making the playoffs. So it was good.

The 2000's were kind of a blur that for me blended in with the 2010's. I thought I was maybe going to have to leave UMC to go in the Army after 9/11. And UMC was NOT as much fun as MSU although I got to learn the Fondren District VERY well and I'm pretty sure the people at Quizno's on Old Canton Rd. knew me on a first name basis- every Friday after class. Pretty bad decade for MSU baseball honestly. Especially if you look at SEC only records.

2010's seemed to me like technology really started to pick up and people just got more and more and more sensitive. Social media ESPECIALLY became a big deal. Great decade for MSU and some of my fondest MSU memories are from this decade. 2011 World Series. Enough said.

I don't know- as I get older it just doesn't seem like decades changing is as big a deal as it seemed like at one time. Of course one decade of my life was Y2K. Every decade is going to have its good and bad to be honest with you. I remember the 80's everyone was scared of AIDS. My Mom didn't want me sitting on a toilet seat anywhere other than our house because there was a thought that you could transmit it from sitting on a toilet seat after someone who had AIDS. It seems to me like the media is way worse now than ever before. I think a lot of that is the social media. Before if Peter Jennings or whoever said something you didn't like you just yelled at the TV or if you were really pissed off you wrote a letter to the editor. Now if someone in the media says something you don't like you can go on Twitter and attack them- and then they can attack you right back. And then other people jump in and it's a hot mess. In the 80's there was an issue with music being censored and that was controversial at the time.

PKADogs55
07-01-2020, 01:09 AM

You are right .. but you dont qualify. Btw born in 79 .. but got to see RATT, Poison, Bon Jovi, Great White, WSP lol, Def leppard, ... all of them. Guess your a .... (Who) fan? Still a STATE fan .. so you get my points. So tired of FLAG posts, or what the 17 ever. Jesus what would our baseball team accomplished this year Todd?

drummerdawg
07-01-2020, 01:11 AM
90's = GOAT

PKADogs55
07-01-2020, 01:13 AM
90's = GOAT

Conquer

Leeshouldveflanked
07-01-2020, 04:02 AM
2020s really suck so far.....

FISHDAWG
07-01-2020, 06:59 AM
I'm a 70's guy myself but both my children were born in the early 80's .... I never could keep my 70's CD's because of those music loving rug rats stealing them - and to this day they have a better 70's collection than I do.... and it also includes concerts as well

Coach34
07-01-2020, 07:33 AM
80’s were definitely the best decade

Music was really good plus rap’s beginnings added to it. Then the invention of the music video
Girls with big hair (I still like that look)
Ronald Reagan
The Black Magic baseball bat

I could go on and on

Dolphus Raymond
07-01-2020, 07:49 AM
Hunter S. Thompson coined that period The Generation of Swine.

BrunswickDawg
07-01-2020, 07:58 AM
I think most people view "the best" decade as being whatever period they were about age 14 until age 24.

Born in '73, I remember enough of the 70s to think it was cool, love the music, got the shit scarred out of me by JAWS at the drive-in, and got to experience Star Wars as it's prime target audience.
Most of the '80s was great - other than the clothes and hair. Cocaine and hookers for everyone!!!
I'm partial to the early 1990s because that encompasses my Senior year of high school and my years at MSU. But, if you look at the music that came out of 1991 - you know that was a peak moment.
Metallica Black album, Nirvana Nevermind, Pearl Jam Ten, GnR Use Your Illusion, Soundgarden Badmotorfinger, RHCP Blood Sugar Sex Magic, REM Out of Time, U2 Achtung Baby, Smashing Pumpkins Gish, A Tribe Called Quest's Low End Theory, De La Soul's de La Soul is Dead, Ice-T's Original Gangsta, Van Halen's For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge (for those that are ok with Van Haggar), Tom Petty's Into the Great Wide Open, Widespread Panic, Cypress Hill, Garth Brooks Ropin the Wind, Live's Mental Jewlery.

Fall of '91 the music kicked ass, our football kicked ass, I was 18 and L-i-v-i-n at MSU

Fred Garvin
07-01-2020, 08:47 AM
Absolutely, the 80's was the greatest decade. Starting with beating the Russians at the Lake Placid Olympics. We had so many funny movies and there was a lot of great music. MTV/VH1 actually showed nothing but music videos. The Berlin Wall fell. And jobs were plentiful.

West Houston Dog
07-01-2020, 08:52 AM
I grew up in the 60's-70's. If I could live the 60's for eternity that would be God's heaven for me!

Watched the Beatles on Ed Sullivan in Feb 64. Watched Apollo 11 take off for the moon couple of miles outside Cape Canaveral in July 69. Watched the first Super Bowl which wasn't called the Super Bowl yet. too young for the quagmire that was Vietnam. I remember the 60's being a simpler time tho the summer of 68 was bad...riots after King killed, Democrat National Convention in Chicago was a zoo. America had problems sure, but we were a better country,more patriotic, better values overall and things were good. Music was evolving and very memorable. No AIDS, coronavirus,Zika, Al Queda,ISIS, and the dems were only liberals not leftist progressives!

70's had some great music too. Much simpler time.

But it is all relative to when you were growing up.....

DownwardDawg
07-01-2020, 09:10 AM
Best music? Lmao you can?t be serious.

The 80?s was by FAR the best music. Even my kids in their 20?s say they are jealous of the music we had in the 80?s.

DownwardDawg
07-01-2020, 09:13 AM
The 80's were the most carefree happy decade we've had in a long time. All of the protests and unrest of the 60's were over and the bell bottoms and leisure suits of the 70's had gone out of style. It was a time of big hair, big music, and black trans ams with the eagle on the hood. We were crushing it economically and the Cold War was ending. Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall.

It was the greatest decade of all time.

iPat09
07-01-2020, 09:28 AM

This sounds like an opening monologue for a movie set in the 80s.

iPat09
07-01-2020, 09:49 AM
As someone who was born in 88, I do admit I am jealous of the music scene of the 70s and 80s. Those two decades are all I listen to, with some 60s thrown in for good measure. There are some exceptions. Greta Van Fleet sounds like they just stepped out of the 70s, and Crazy Lixx, a band from Sweden, sounds like they just stepped out of the 80s. Over the past few years I've started building up a record collection. I own 60+ albums and all but a handful are original and were pressed before I was born. It's more rewarding to me to find used ones in person than it is to look them up on eBay. Been frequenting Little Big Store over in Raymond a good bit. Last few times I have been there, I've found the Top Gun soundtrack, and an original The Wall. Was so happy to finally add from Pink Floyd to the collection. I have that Dire Straights album as well. Picked it up at T-Bones in H'burg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86_vnQc1oBE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXekI0LiBLA

Lord McBuckethead
07-01-2020, 10:07 AM
I'll second that lol

Your opinion to music is formed when you were coming of age.

QuadrupleOption
07-01-2020, 10:11 AM

^^ This is correct. The 80's were a very optimistic time after the negativity of the 60's and 70's, just like the 50's were an optimistic time after the troubles of the 30's and 40's. My hope is we'll come out of this timeframe and the media will realize that folks are tired of relentless negativity and change their tone a bit. With the advent of the internet though, I don't know if that's possible any more.

What I believe is that while there are a lot of people who aren't happy unless they're unhappy, the vast majority of Americans are tired of the constant bickering and arguing over everything in public discourse. I expect that a correction is coming, and we'll have a decade like the 20's, 50's and 80's again pretty soon. At least, that's my hope.

FISHDAWG
07-01-2020, 10:12 AM

From the 60's .... kinda political but with no bias towards either side and a pretty good message .... sorry but I should have posted the one showing the lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk3sURDS4IA

maroonmania
07-01-2020, 10:42 AM

Dead on. The best 10 year period of music IMO was from 75 to 85. I stand by that. You had everything from Fleetwood Mac Rumors to the Eagles Hotel California to the first Boston album to Journey Escape and every other kind of great music during that 10 year window.

Saltydog
07-01-2020, 01:11 PM
I can't remember because I drank too much beer and smoked too much weed in the 80's. Honestly though, "YES", the 80's were awesome. MSU baseball was awesome. Cold War was still ongoing and Reagan was President. The country was unified with a common enemy. Music was great and so was SNL. BTW, has SNL been worth a damn since then, uh "no". We socialized thru something other than a phone. We actually hung out with friends at arcades and every town had a loop that kids cruised. I could go on and on but the 80's were awesome. There's a reason it's called "the decade of decadence".

Saltydog
07-01-2020, 01:26 PM
I preferred Worth's "Tennessee Thumper" or the Adirondack "Big Stick"...?..Agree on the big hair...?..Undeniably, the pop culture of the 80's far outweighs any other decade......Not even close...?.

Red Clay Hills
07-01-2020, 03:25 PM
No question music is garbage now. I quit listening to current music shortly after I graduated college in 2005.

dawgday166
07-01-2020, 03:33 PM
No question music is garbage now. I quit listening to current music shortly after I graduated college in 2005.

Hell if I was young person listening to that crap ... I'd be rioting too ***** Bad music will make anyone wanna riot *****

MaroonFlounder
07-01-2020, 04:18 PM

This.

Disco sucked. But Van Halen, ZZ Top, Tom Petty, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Stones...all good.

Bothrops
07-02-2020, 11:15 AM
Different genres were great at different times. The 80s were great for pop, hard rock, punk, new wave, rap and soul. The 70s were great for progressive rock, country, funk, disco. The 90s was great for metal, grunge, folk rock. The 2000s generally sucked pretty bad and the 2010s offered nothing.

Joebob
07-02-2020, 09:48 PM
I loved the 80's, and always felt lucky that I was clubbing age during that time. The 70s had to be the best music, but the New Wave period was such a breath of fresh air and so different from anything I had ever seen. I mean, rockers with short hair was rad! I wouldn't give those days back for anything.

PKADogs55
07-03-2020, 12:52 AM
If you put it on any top 20 now .. I have no 17'n clue! I went and saw Panic .. and Tool last year .. totally different bands, but at least they play instruments, and they write their own stuff.

Lumpy Chucklelips
07-03-2020, 07:11 AM
Partial to the 70's myself. Graduated high school in '75. State '75-'79. Absolutely hated disco and still do. In the '70's you actually had top acts come to your campus to perform. My memory has become hazy, but I remember Billy Joel at the Hump. Kansas maybe. Jackson Browne. Saw Elton and James Taylor at OM. Old timers, who else came to the Hump? Spent the 4th of July '76 in Memphis Liberty Bowl watching ZZ Top and the original Lynyrd Skynyrd, Blue Oyster Cult, The Outlaws. Kept the ticket stub up until my latest move. A whopping $12. Several good concerts in Jackson during that time as well. Always enjoyed the MSU-OM doubleheader's in Jackson. OM-LSU around 1:00, then MSU-Bama at 7:00. Got to the stadium about 10 am and started drinking. Watch the first game, then hit the tailgate (in the parking lot) and then back in for nightcap. Wake up Sunday morning begging God to make your head stop hurting and making promises to him that you knew you couldn't keep. Good times.

Saltydog
07-03-2020, 09:26 AM
Yeah, I miss those concerts at the hump......I saw 38 special, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Great White, Cinderella, Night Ranger, Hank, Jr among others there in the 80's.......

dawgday166
07-03-2020, 10:46 AM
Yeah, I miss those concerts at the hump......I saw 38 special, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Great White, Cinderella, Night Ranger, Hank, Jr among others there in the 80's.......

Yea .. I saw all those except Hank Jr. Also so Kool and the Gang.

Saltydog
07-03-2020, 11:48 AM
Didn't see Kool and the Gang but I did see Huey Lewis and the News there.......I think 38 special warmed up for them.......

BeardoMSU
07-03-2020, 01:45 PM
Huey Lewis and the News

Love Huey Lewis and the News.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/QuaintPortlyBoubou-size_restricted.gif

Joebob
07-03-2020, 10:14 PM

Me too. The acoustics were so great in that building. Left MSU in '79 and came to Dallas, and the arenas here were just echo chambers. I was so spoiled.

R2Dawg
07-06-2020, 09:33 PM
Love Huey Lewis and the News.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/QuaintPortlyBoubou-size_restricted.gif

Saw Huey in Memphis, my favorite in the 80s. You had to watch BTF close to catch his cameo appearance.

R2Dawg
07-06-2020, 09:37 PM
I loved the 80's, and always felt lucky that I was clubbing age during that time. The 70s had to be the best music, but the New Wave period was such a breath of fresh air and so different from anything I had ever seen. I mean, rockers with short hair was rad! I wouldn't give those days back for anything.

80s is the best decade ever overall. Every decade had their moments but 80s had it all. Peaceful, good economy, politics, sports, music and moves. From Ronald Reagan, ESPN, MTV, Bird, Magic, Michael Jackson to Michael Jordan. 80s was a great decade to grown up.

Bothrops
07-07-2020, 08:21 PM
80?s were definitely the best decade

Music was really good plus rap?s beginnings added to it. Then the invention of the music video
Ronald Reagan

I could go on and on

Worst decade ever for automobiles though. Otherwise, I agree.

Coach34
07-07-2020, 09:09 PM
I'm a Huey Lewis and the News fan also...Duran Duran was under rated.

The power ballad
Hair metal
Rap's beginnings with NWA and 2 Live Crew
Clubbing and club music along with ecstacy- which helped improve sex lives (So I heard)
College football moving to cable TV
Harry Caray becoming a Cubs announcer and making me a fan for life
Magic, Bird, Jordan...Showtime, Bad Boys of the NBA
Joe Montana, LT, 85 Bears

80's was the best

dawgday166
07-07-2020, 10:36 PM

Was pretty bad car decade. Ford's sucked until late in decade with Mustang GT. But even then ... not a good car decade.

BeardoMSU
07-07-2020, 10:41 PM

Word.

https://static1.hotcarsimages.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/forni5.jpg

https://media1.giphy.com/media/4baoNZ5Qo8dX2/200.gif

BeardoMSU
07-07-2020, 10:58 PM
I'm a Huey Lewis and the News fan also...Duran Duran was under rated.

The power ballad
Hair metal
Rap's beginnings with NWA and 2 Live Crew
Clubbing and club music along with ecstacy- which helped improve sex lives (So I heard)
College football moving to cable TV
Harry Caray becoming a Cubs announcer and making me a fan for life
Magic, Bird, Jordan...Showtime, Bad Boys of the NBA
Joe Montana, LT, 85 Bears

80's was the best

You left off Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, and LL in your Rap listing, but they're in good company with who you mentioned.

Hair Metal blows, though. I loathe it. The worst of that genre I find equivalent to the boy bands of the 90's/00's....just horrid commercial garbage. Definitely the best decade for good metal, though. And btw, I know some do, but I don't consider GNR or VH as "hair metal".

And starting in the late 70's, through the heyday of the 80's, into the early 90's, Punk was absolutely fantastic. Just from the 80's, for example: Misfits, Descendants, Buzzcocks, Ramones, Clash, The Damned, Dead Kennedys, Patti Smith, Iggy Pop, Fear, Black Flag, etc. etc.....I mean, holy hell.....then we get to the 00's, and the bed shitting commences.

PKADogs55
07-07-2020, 11:16 PM
You left off Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, and LL in your Rap listing, but they're in good company with who you mentioned.

Hair Metal blows, though. I loathe it. The worst of that genre I find equivalent to the boy bands of the 90's/00's....just horrid commercial garbage. Definitely the best decade for good metal, though. And btw, I know some do, but I don't consider GNR or VH as "hair metal".

And starting in the late 70's, through the heyday of the 80's, into the early 90's, Punk was absolutely fantastic. Just from the 80's, for example: Misfits, Descendants, Buzzcocks, Ramones, Clash, The Damned, Dead Kennedys, Patti Smith, Iggy Pop, Fear, Black Flag, etc. etc.....I mean, holy hell.....then we get to the 00's, and the bed shitting commences.

Wow ... where do I start? I agree .. Hair Metal sucked .. but define Hair Metal? Definitely was not GNR. Maybe Europe, DL, RATT, and others. Your take on 70's ... I get some Punk .. but really? Where are the Allman Brothers, Kansas, Aerosmith, Stones, all the bands that made that decade worth while? Btw .. saw Widespread Panic, and TOOL .. (Shows music is not labeled) my last 2 concerts. I do appreciate your opinion though, thank GOD it's not another Covid or ... whatever else topic.

Bothrops
07-07-2020, 11:20 PM
Was pretty bad car decade. Ford's sucked until late in decade with Mustang GT. But even then ... not a good car decade.

4500 pound Buicks and Cadillacs with choked out V8s making 170hp. Dodge 600's, Ford Tempo.....arf..

Coach34
07-07-2020, 11:24 PM

I agree about adding the Rap names you included. The 80's were a damn great time for new music

Sorry- but GNR is hair metal. Yet they created probably the best album of the 80's.

PKADogs55
07-07-2020, 11:30 PM
I agree about adding the Rap names you included. The 80's were a damn great time for new music

Sorry- but GNR is hair metal. Yet they created probably the best album of the 80's.

Coach .. not one to question you .. but wasnt GNR the one who broke that mold, before the Seattle invasion? This coming from a guy whose first concert was Kixx, Great White, and RATT in Jackson 1986 lol (How did my father ever sit through that with me).

BeardoMSU
07-07-2020, 11:41 PM

This is always a fun debate, lol...they are obviously using hairnet, like the rest of the bands during this decade, which is often used as diagnostic for the genre, but they're not "hair metal", by any comparison with with the likes of Poison, Ratt, Warrant, Whitesnake, etc. (you could make an argument for a Motley Crue comparison, I suppose, but I still disagree). Hell, I'm pretty sure the members of Pantera and Metallica had teased/aquanet hair as well, but not the florescent outfits and makeup (neither did GNR). GNR's lyrics and sound are also way different than the others. They were WAY more raw, and that was the point. I think I remember the old VH1 behind the music episode, where Slash said something like "we represented the trashy/gritty side of the Sunset Strip (where the other hair bands played)".

Appetite for Destruction is amazing. I had to buy that album twice, because I wore out the first one I got. I also like a lot of Use Your Illusion, but A.F.D was a seminal album of my adolescence.

BeardoMSU
07-07-2020, 11:49 PM
Wow ... where do I start? I agree .. Hair Metal sucked .. but define Hair Metal? Definitely was not GNR. Maybe Europe, DL, RATT, and others. Your take on 70's ... I get some Punk .. but really? Where are the Allman Brothers, Kansas, Aerosmith, Stones, all the bands that made that decade worth while? Btw .. saw Widespread Panic, and TOOL .. (Shows music is not labeled) my last 2 concerts. I do appreciate your opinion though, thank GOD it's not another Covid or ... whatever else topic.

Btw, I wasn't throwing out the rest of the 70's by only mentioning Punk (lots of great music from that decade; much of my favorite, actually), I was just discussing the trajectory of punk (specifically) there.

BrunswickDawg
07-08-2020, 07:17 AM
This is always a fun debate, lol...they are obviously using hairnet, like the rest of the bands during this decade, which is often used as diagnostic for the genre, but they're not "hair metal", by any comparison with with the likes of Poison, Ratt, Warrant, Whitesnake, etc. (you could make an argument for a Motley Crue comparison, I suppose, but I still disagree). Hell, I'm pretty sure the members of Pantera and Metallica had teased/aquanet hair as well, but not the florescent outfits and makeup (neither did GNR). GNR's lyrics and sound are also way different than the others. They were WAY more raw, and that was the point. I think I remember the old VH1 behind the music episode, where Slash said something like "we represented the trashy/gritty side of the Sunset Strip (where the other hair bands played)".

Appetite for Destruction is amazing. I had to buy that album twice, because I wore out the first one I got. I also like a lot of Use Your Illusion, but A.F.D was a seminal album of my adolescence.

Here's the Hair Band Test - Were they on Headbanger's Ball? No? Then they were Hair Metal.

bankerdawg
07-08-2020, 01:24 PM
Dead on. The best 10 year period of music IMO was from 75 to 85. I stand by that. You had everything from Fleetwood Mac Rumors to the Eagles Hotel California to the first Boston album to Journey Escape and every other kind of great music during that 10 year window.

I was fortunate enough to see ZZ Top and Skynyrd in Liberty Bowl Stadium in Memphis 1976.
That same year you also had Frampton Comes Alive. Do You Feel Like I Do

Bothrops
07-08-2020, 05:15 PM
GNR was hair metal in the 80's, but had a harder edge, kinda like Motley Crue, but both different. Appetite was, and still is, one of the greatest rock records of all time. GNR was the only hair band I can think of that emerged in the late 80s and survived the end of the big hair era and continued with wide popularity into the 90s with Illusions 1&2.

HereComesTheSpiral
07-08-2020, 05:32 PM
80?s were definitely the best decade

Music was really good plus rap?s beginnings added to it. Then the invention of the music video
Ronald Reagan

I could go on and on

You forgot 80's butt and bra and panty tan lines.

BeardoMSU
07-08-2020, 05:52 PM
You forgot 80's butt and bra and panty tan lines.

You a bush man?***

HereComesTheSpiral
07-08-2020, 06:05 PM
You a bush man?***

Been known to dabble

MaroonFlounder
07-08-2020, 06:39 PM
Speaking of the 70s, the Eagles concert that ESPN has been showing from 2018 at the Forum has been (to borrow a word from Ben Howland) PHENOMENAL.

With Vince Gill and the son of the late Glen Frey, Deacon Frey, singing his dad's vocals and acoustic guitar.

And they let Don Henley and Joe Walsh perform their solo stuff too.

R2Dawg
07-08-2020, 08:52 PM

For the most part you are correct on the cars as overall they were ugly but I throw out a few positives. You had the Delorian, Fiero, Nissan 280 and 300ZX, the Monte Carlo SS and a few others, . You had the street rods and lots of old trucks decked out. You had the jacked up 4 wheel drives and truck pulls were big. You also had the explosion of the high fi car stereo.

BrunswickDawg
07-08-2020, 09:16 PM
For the most part you are correct on the cars as overall they were ugly but I throw out a few positives. You had the Delorian, Fiero, Nissan 280 and 300ZX, the Monte Carlo SS and a few others, . You had the street rods and lots of old trucks decked out. You had the jacked up 4 wheel drives and truck pulls were big. You also had the explosion of the high fi car stereo.

when I was at State and dating my future wife, she had a gold Fiero with the V6. That little thing was fun to drive.

iPat09
07-08-2020, 09:17 PM
Speaking of the 70s, the Eagles concert that ESPN has been showing from 2018 at the Forum has been (to borrow a word from Ben Howland) PHENOMENAL.

With Vince Gill and the son of the late Glen Frey, Deacon Frey, singing his dad's vocals and acoustic guitar.

And they let Don Henley and Joe Walsh perform their solo stuff too.

Got to see them live during that tour when they were in B'ham. 2 hours of great music. Very next day, I continued on to Atlanta to see Bon Jovi. Two days of fantastic shows. I'll have to catch the ESPN broadcast.