PDA

View Full Version : New Flag Design

William Tecumsah Sherman
06-27-2020, 04:35 PM
Not that it matters that much, but I think we need one that is identifiable as Mississippi?s. Im not a fan of the seal being on the flag because you can?t tell whose it is at first glance. Tennessee, Texas, California, Colorado, and South Carolina have distinctive flags that I can identify at first glance. What you guys think?

ShotgunDawg
06-27-2020, 04:46 PM
Not that it matters that much, but I think we need one that is identifiable as Mississippi?s. Im not a fan of the seal being on the flag because you can?t tell whose it is at first glance. Tennessee, Texas, California, Colorado, and South Carolina have distinctive flags that I can identify at first glance. What you guys think?

Agree. Something unique to the positive qualities of the state are what's needed.

What a great day!

Quaoarsking
06-27-2020, 04:58 PM
It would be great to have something simple and iconic. A good rule of thumb is if a child can't draw it from memory, it's a bad flag. Other important rules of flag design are no more than 3 colors and 3 words.

We're likely to break all of those rules, but if that's what it takes to get the flag changed, so be it. Most states have badly designed flags, and we can too.

Dawgface
06-27-2020, 05:07 PM
How about a big cotton ball in the center?**

Dawgology
06-27-2020, 05:09 PM
Maroon, gold, powder blue striped field with a magnolia on it

NCDawg
06-27-2020, 05:10 PM

We don't need anybody with your name having any input in the Mississippi flag.

Rex54
06-27-2020, 05:26 PM
How about a flag showing Colin Kaepernick and Megan Rapinoe kneeling?

Or like another poster said just auction the flag off every two years to the corporation with the highest bid. I mean that's all anyone cares about now anyways is tax cuts and GDP.... history, culture, and religion are silly notions of a bygone era.

Political Hack
06-27-2020, 05:30 PM
Blue banner at the bottom and far right of the flag to represent the river and the gulf. Y'all can do what you want with the rest of it. Unless it's racist.

Political Hack
06-27-2020, 05:31 PM

Or like another poster said just auction the flag off every two years to the corporation with the highest bid. I mean that's all anyone cares about now anyways is tax cuts and GDP.... history, culture, and religion are silly notions of a bygone era.

Angry about the flag?

SmokeyDawg
06-27-2020, 05:32 PM
Maroon, gold, powder blue striped field with a magnolia on it

Maroon and powder blue look good together. Not sure about mustard bird gold

Rex54
06-27-2020, 05:37 PM
Angry about the flag?

No just the process. I think it should have been a referendum. I think that would have been a better resolution to settle things and honestly it would have passed. But now it seems that it's just giving in to the rioting and looting nationwide, you're about to see more of the 1894 flag flying than you ever did, and a large number of people that wanted to keep it will feel aggrieved which will lower community trust, relations, etc....

dantheman4248
06-27-2020, 05:47 PM
No just the process. I think it should have been a referendum. I think that would have been a better resolution to settle things and honestly it would have passed. But now it seems that it's just giving in to the rioting and looting nationwide, you're about to see more of the 1894 flag flying than you ever did, and a large number of people that wanted to keep it will feel aggrieved which will lower community trust, relations, etc....

So then what should our representatives vote on to represent us? I get your argument that we shouldn't take the power from the people but that's a slippery slope to where it seems like we shouldn't let them vote on anything. So what's the point of their jobs?

Rex54
06-27-2020, 05:51 PM
So then what should our representatives vote on to represent us?

Laws......

dantheman4248
06-27-2020, 06:05 PM
Laws......

Laws??

That's a slippery slope. You could make a law for anything! He'll you could make a law about what flag can be flown for the state and what can't!

BeardoMSU
06-27-2020, 06:06 PM

How bout instead, you just **** right the hell off? Wouldn't that be easier for all involved?

Gutter Cobreh
06-27-2020, 06:40 PM

That would be awesome! Anything to make racists easier to identify only benefits the general public!

chef dixon
06-27-2020, 07:24 PM
Just have the McCarty pottery symbol coming off the edge and call it a day

MagicDawg
06-27-2020, 08:24 PM
I grew up in Brandon and went to State, but moved to Atlanta after college. I've watched this whole flag thing before, 20 years ago.

Georgia had a big battle emblem -- bigger than MS -- and eventually it got removed by democrat governor Roy Barnes who replaced it with what looked like a bad PowerPoint slide that threw up. Everyone hated it. Sonny Perdue, the first Republican governor of Georgia since Reconstruction, ran on changing it and promised a referendum. When the referendum came, the old flag wasn't part of the selections. The referendum was on the Barnes PowerPoint disaster and the Perdue stars-and-bars flag that he got passed. (It is actually based on the official Confederate national flag, which is the biggest irony of all.)

There was a period of a few years where the old flag was flown rather widely among the "resistance." They still hate Perdue for depriving them of that battle emblem. You can find specialty license plates and you'll still see that flag flown at the odd house in the country that also has a flagpole devoted to the battle flag itself -- the whole giant Ole-Miss-like full rectangle. But outside of the random racist and/or old south devotee who has embraced that identity, though, the only place you really see it now is over a Confederate cemetery or engraved on a monument at some battleground historical marker.

I expect there will be a resistance element in MS that more deeply embraces the 1894 flag as a result, but that will fade over time. It's not even as prevalent at OM as it used to be.

IMissJack
06-27-2020, 08:35 PM
Of the designs I have seen, I prefer the one with the magnolia blossom rather than the Stennis flag. However, I would prefer a dark green background to the blue. When I think of Mississippi I think of green fields and forests.

chef dixon
06-27-2020, 08:40 PM
I grew up in Brandon and went to State, but moved to Atlanta after college. I've watched this whole flag thing before, 20 years ago.

Georgia had a big battle emblem -- bigger than MS -- and eventually it got removed by democrat governor Roy Barnes who replaced it with what looked like a bad PowerPoint slide that threw up. Everyone hated it. Sonny Perdue, the first Republican governor of Georgia since Reconstruction, ran on changing it and promised a referendum. When the referendum came, the old flag wasn't part of the selections. The referendum was on the Barnes PowerPoint disaster and the Perdue stars-and-bars flag that he got passed. (It is actually based on the official Confederate national flag, which is the biggest irony of all.)

There was a period of a few years where the old flag was flown rather widely among the "resistance." They still hate Perdue for depriving them of that battle emblem. You can find specialty license plates and you'll still see that flag flown at the odd house in the country that also has a flagpole devoted to the battle flag itself -- the whole giant Ole-Miss-like full rectangle. But outside of the random racist and/or old south devotee who has embraced that identity, though, the only place you really see it now is over a Confederate cemetery or engraved on a monument at some battleground historical marker.

I expect there will be a resistance element in MS that more deeply embraces the 1894 flag as a result, but that will fade over time. It's not even as prevalent at OM as it used to be.

There are some pockets in Georgia that are mind boggling racist/stuck in the 1800s more than anything I've seen in Mississippi.

Skydawg1
06-27-2020, 08:46 PM
Of the designs I have seen, I prefer the one with the magnolia blossom rather than the Stennis flag. However, I would prefer a dark green background to the blue. When I think of Mississippi I think of green fields and forests.

The Stennis (er) Hospitality Flag was the only visible option for the last several years, that's why a lot of folks became enamored with it. Hopefully, (fingers crossed) we'll see some better options between tomorrow and 11/3 that are way more exciting than the Hospitality Flag (formerly Stennis flag).

Rex54
06-27-2020, 08:53 PM
There are some pockets in Georgia that are mind boggling racist/stuck in the 1800s more than anything I've seen in Mississippi.

The area that torched the Wendy's?

Turfdawg67
06-27-2020, 09:14 PM
The area that torched the Wendy's?

Man I'll love the day you get banned again.

MagicDawg
06-27-2020, 09:15 PM

Yes, there are some pockets. Some of them really "dug in" after the flag change. I expect some will do the same in MS. But over time I have seen a decrease in the metro Atlanta area compared to right after the big fuss.

Jack Lambert
06-27-2020, 09:19 PM
Just make it a plain gray flag with a blue miss map on it.

TrapGame
06-27-2020, 09:24 PM
Yes, there are some pockets. Some of them really "dug in" after the flag change. I expect some will do the same in MS. But over time I have seen a decrease in the metro Atlanta area compared to right after the big fuss.

At this point in time Mississippi is ripping off the band aid. Why now? Because before now it wouldn't be a band aid but fresh stitches. Time heals. It just takes time.

Offshore Dawg
06-27-2020, 09:27 PM
If you only remove the Confederate part you have France's flag.

confucius say
06-27-2020, 09:33 PM
Well it's required that it have "in God we trust" on it. I would say do the magnolia flag or the hospitality flag and just put in God we trust in cursive across the bottom. Because they one with the seal on it clashes and looks like crap

DownwardDawg
06-27-2020, 09:46 PM
How about a big cotton ball in the center?**

Hahah! I had to laugh.

BrunswickDawg
06-27-2020, 10:49 PM

Yep - lots of those pockets down here in South Ga. But, definitely fewer every year.

MarcoRubio
06-27-2020, 11:49 PM
Blue banner at the bottom and far right of the flag to represent the river and the gulf. Y'all can do what you want with the rest of it. Unless it's racist.

I had not thought about the river. Good idea. I hate the wavy water designs that are always used for water. Would be good to come up with some representation of it though.

Tbonewannabe
06-28-2020, 01:47 PM
Angry about the flag?
His only option is keep the old flag or the Southpark flag.

ScoobaDawg
06-28-2020, 02:54 PM
Well it's required that it have "in God we trust" on it. I would say do the magnolia flag or the hospitality flag and just put in God we trust in cursive across the bottom. Because they one with the seal on it clashes and looks like crap

Is "In God we Trust" really necessary? I vote for no words at all.

chef dixon
06-28-2020, 03:12 PM

Was probably needed to get a few of the republicans on board

Rex54
06-28-2020, 03:13 PM

I agree, words on a flag are terrible. I say we go with the Christian flag but add a red banner on the far right side of the flag from top to bottom..

https://www.flagandbanner.com/images/rchri23.jpg

bostondawg
06-28-2020, 03:25 PM
We don't need anybody with your name having any input in the Mississippi flag.

If Sherman would have decided Mississippi's flag while he was busy beating loser traitor Confederate ass up and down the southeast, we wouldn't be in this position in the first place.

bostondawg
06-28-2020, 03:28 PM

I think this requirement is absolutely ridiculous. It's stupid and tone deaf. It's an anachronism from 1950s anti-communist hysteria America. Really don't need Mississippi being stuck in the 1950s when we're trying to move forward.

ScoobaDawg
06-28-2020, 03:39 PM
I think this requirement is absolutely ridiculous. It's stupid and tone deaf. It's an anachronism from 1950s anti-communist hysteria America. Really don't need Mississippi being stuck in the 1950s when we're trying to move forward.

Better than being in the 1860's i guess... Sigh...
Congrats they moved forward 100 years... but still 70 behind....

bostondawg
06-28-2020, 03:40 PM
Yep. A correct assessment of the situation.

NCDawg
06-28-2020, 03:40 PM
If Sherman would have decided Mississippi's flag while he was busy beating loser traitor Confederate ass up and down the southeast, we wouldn't be in this position in the first place.

Looks like we got a yankee bostondawg up in here.

Rex54
06-28-2020, 03:41 PM
We could use another HUAC right now.

bostondawg
06-28-2020, 03:42 PM
Looks like we got a yankee bostondawg up in here.

Born and raised in the yankee mecca known as Southeast Louisiana.

NCDawg
06-28-2020, 04:14 PM
Born and raised in the yankee mecca known as Southeast Louisiana.

If it is anywhere around New Orleans, it is pretty much is a yankee mecca.

BeardoMSU
06-28-2020, 04:48 PM
If it is anywhere around New Orleans, it is pretty much is a yankee mecca.
"Fun" does have a historically yankee vibe...

Gypsy_RoadDawg
06-29-2020, 08:16 PM
Just my thoughts on this is the new flag should represent something about the state that we are nationally know for. It has been long known and said that Mississippi is the birthplace of American music. I believe something along that line should be in order and would shed a positive light on our state.

IMissJack
06-29-2020, 09:30 PM
Just my thoughts on this is the new flag should represent something about the state that we are nationally know for.

Catfish?** I really am ok with the magnolia blossom on the flag.

Cowbell
06-29-2020, 09:35 PM

Perdue continues to be a waste of space, only in Washington now. Definition of a career politician.

Mobile Bay
06-29-2020, 09:43 PM

Yeah, like Athens. I went to our game there a couple of years back and accidentally ended up in a bar named General Beauregard's. Totally covered in confederate flags, portraits of generals and the like. I may not have been able to buy a robe and hood there, but they could have told me where to go to get one.

Skydawg1
06-29-2020, 09:56 PM
Born and raised in the yankee mecca known as Southeast Louisiana.How South how East? And do you consider Hi-Ho real BBQ?**

StoneDawg
06-30-2020, 09:42 AM
Dark Blue background with a white Magnolia in the middle.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-30-2020, 06:19 PM
Bring back Bonnie Blue!

bostondawg
06-30-2020, 07:36 PM
While we're talking about the vexillology subreddit, they also have this gem. Probably shows a lot about how the country thinks of us.

Hint: please don't force the "in god we trust" onto the flag.

https://snipboard.io/vOUXPT.jpg

bostondawg
06-30-2020, 07:39 PM
Oh and this one.

(yes, that's a very small "in god we trust" in red at the bottom. The country is laughing at us.)

https://snipboard.io/AEsoXO.jpg

StoneDawg
06-30-2020, 08:13 PM
Delete

QuadrupleOption
07-01-2020, 10:18 AM

Blue flag, white magnolia, "In God We Trust" on it (because it has to be, apparently). I don't really care though. Just a flag that isn't going to have our state in the headlines for being racist and enshrining Confederate symbology on items that represent our state government. It could be purple with orange polka dots (and "In God We Trust" of course) for all I care.