PDA

View Full Version : The Flag Vote - IT PASSED!!!!!!

confucius say
06-27-2020, 09:00 AM
I believe the house will meet this morning to vote on the suspension resolution. It should pass fairly comfortably.

I don't expect the senate to vote until Sunday or Monday to suspend the rules. They are right on the cut line. We'll see.

Mobile Bay
06-27-2020, 12:06 PM
It didn't happen. Spineless bastards.

BeardoMSU
06-27-2020, 12:14 PM

Wtf?

Gutter Cobreh
06-27-2020, 12:18 PM
Wtf?

They've simply recessed and will return this afternoon. They aren't done for the day.

News Mississippi on Twitter is updating the situation.

Mobile Bay
06-27-2020, 12:24 PM
Just FYI the guy stopping this from happening is Chris McDaniel and he is a racist piece of shit. He has stated on his website his support for The League of the South which is the Klan without the robes and goofy titles. I have had to drive past their "headquarters" a few times for work and it's a dumpy trailer park in Bum**** Alabama. Which is a fitting place for that trash to live.

ShotgunDawg
06-27-2020, 12:25 PM
Here's what I think is going on.

I think there is a group of experienced Senators that are fighting tooth and nail not to prevent us from getting a new flag but rather to slow the process down and make it agonizing in an effort to set precedent that future SJW reforms don't get ramrodded through the legislature.

I hope that's what is happening. They come off looking bad, but really they could be protecting the future of Mississippi from angry Twitter mobs.

BeardoMSU
06-27-2020, 12:26 PM
They've simply recessed and will return this afternoon. They aren't done for the day.

News Mississippi on Twitter is updating the situation.

Thanks.

Mobile Bay
06-27-2020, 12:28 PM
Here's what I think is going on.

I think there is a group of experienced Senators that are fighting tooth and nail not to prevent us from getting a new flag but rather to slow the process down and make it agonizing in an effort to set precedent that future SJW reforms don't get ramrodded through the legislature.

I hope that's what is happening. They come off looking bad, but really they could be protecting the future of Mississippi from angry Twitter mobs.

It isn't. McDaniel ran on keeping the flag intact. He knows this is exactly what the rock eaters in his district want.

chef dixon
06-27-2020, 12:28 PM
I'm not sure I've ever really truly been embarrassed to be from MS but this is pushing it.

BeardoMSU
06-27-2020, 12:30 PM
Just FYI the guy stopping this from happening is Chris McDaniel and he is a racist piece of shit. He has stated on his website his support for The League of the South which is the Klan without the robes and goofy titles. I have had to drive past their "headquarters" a few times for work and it's a dumpy trailer park in Bum**** Alabama. Which is a fitting place for that trash to live.

He is the absolute ****ing worst.

Dolphus Raymond
06-27-2020, 12:35 PM
Chris McDaniel is the personification of everything wrong in Mississippi.

dantheman4248
06-27-2020, 12:58 PM
I'm not sure I've ever really truly been embarrassed to be from MS but this is pushing it.

When you leave the echo chamber bubble of Mississippi you can see a lot of the bad. Don't get me wrong there is a whole lot of good in Mississippi and I take pride in the good. But damn if it's not embarrassing sometimes.

confucius say
06-27-2020, 12:59 PM
McDaniel can't stop it alone. He's a lost cause.
Need to be bending the ear of the ones who can be reached. Tyler McCaughan is one. Sally Doty. They are two of the 7-8 who are on the fence.

StarkVegasSteve
06-27-2020, 01:04 PM
McDaniel can't stop it alone. He's a lost cause.
Need to be bending the ear of the ones who can be reached. Tyler McCaughan is one. Sally Doty. They are two of the 7-8 who are on the fence.

I just don't see how it's possible for someone to be on the fence on this issue. Then again, I don't see how it's possible to want to keep the flag either but McDaniel is proving me wrong on that one.

dantheman4248
06-27-2020, 01:15 PM
I just don't see how it's possible for someone to be on the fence on this issue. Then again, I don't see how it's possible to want to keep the flag either but McDaniel is proving me wrong on that one.

It's an awful reality to have to accept that some people are so self absorbed that they see any slight disrespect to them as more important than massive disrespect to others. And we elect these people.

A favorite exercise of mine is to ask what would it take for you to shave all the body hair off of you if it meant helping someone else? Would just giving a warm meal to someone in need be it? Would it have to save someone's life? What it have to save someone you know personally and care about's life? It's best done in person where the body language cannot lie. The honest answers that tells you makes you sad.

chef dixon
06-27-2020, 01:16 PM
When you leave the echo chamber bubble of Mississippi you can see a lot of the bad. Don't get me wrong there is a whole lot of good in Mississippi and I take pride in the good. But damn if it's not embarrassing sometimes.

I've actually been gone for a little while now, but I've always been proud to claim it. There are a lot of redeeming qualities to MS. I've actually found a lot of racial issues to be much worse in places that don't have that same reputation nationally. Not to minimize the issues we certainly have.

LC Dawg
06-27-2020, 01:34 PM
News Mississippi has tweeted that the rules are suspended so they can now vote. I think that means they now have the votes in the Senate. God I hope they get this done.

TrapGame
06-27-2020, 01:42 PM
Chris McDaniel is the personification of everything wrong in Mississippi.

My opinion of McDaniel has changed greatly b/c of this.

hacker
06-27-2020, 01:45 PM
It appears to be happening according to the twitters

dantheman4248
06-27-2020, 01:48 PM
85-34 it passed.

confucius say
06-27-2020, 02:22 PM
85-34 it passed.

That's just house. That was a give.

The senate will be the harder test.
Need Doty to be a yes.

dantheman4248
06-27-2020, 02:27 PM
That's just house. That was a give.

The senate will be the harder test.
Need Doty to be a yes.

Yep. Thought it was clear we were only worried about the house today but I could have qualified that better

WinningIsRelentless
06-27-2020, 02:59 PM
Senate rules committee is meeting in 15 minutes.

confucius say
06-27-2020, 03:07 PM
Yep. Thought it was clear we were only worried about the house today but I could have qualified that better

Ahh, I had gotten info of senate rules committee meeting at 315, so I was clarifying. My bad.

Expected to come out of senate committee today and get to senate floor today. Might be some fireworks. Hearing the yesses picked up a vote today in Rita parks.

dantheman4248
06-27-2020, 03:12 PM
Ahh, I had gotten info of senate rules committee meeting at 315, so I was clarifying. My bad.

Expected to come out of senate committee today and get to senate floor today. Might be some fireworks. Hearing the yesses picked up a vote today in Rita parks.

Oh wow. I wasn't expecting the senate to move so quickly. Awesome update, thanks!

dantheman4248
06-27-2020, 03:29 PM
Senate Committee passed it.

Now for the senate floor.

dantheman4248
06-27-2020, 04:37 PM
Chris McDaniel with the argument that it's a slippery slope to force a senator to do their job as his reasoning for voting against the resolution. Totally not a racist guys.

dantheman4248
06-27-2020, 04:45 PM
36-14. The ayes have it.

Historic day.

DownwardDawg
06-27-2020, 04:46 PM
36-14. The ayes have it.

Historic day.

Good deal. Now what? Who decides the new flag design?

Todd4State
06-27-2020, 04:51 PM
Good deal. Now what? Who decides the new flag design?

The people of Mississippi.

Rex54
06-27-2020, 04:54 PM
Excellent speech by McDaniel.

Enjoy changing the cities, counties, and every statue too coming soon!!

Gutter Cobreh
06-27-2020, 04:56 PM

You were saying?

BeardoMSU
06-27-2020, 04:57 PM

Because of course, lol.

BeardoMSU
06-27-2020, 04:58 PM
Historic day for MS, indeed, and long past due. Glad this is finally happening.

LC Dawg
06-27-2020, 05:14 PM
Is there anything left to do? Is this officially official? Does Tate have to sign something? Is there absolutely no chance the current flag will stay?

iPat09
06-27-2020, 05:14 PM
To clear up any confusion, today's voting was to only change the rule to allow a late bill to be introduced after the deadline. Tomorrow, the bill itself be drafted and then voted on by both the House and Senate, although it will only need majority and not 2/3 like today. Technically it could still fail, but I don't see that happening. And Tate has already said he would sign it if it reached his desk. Today was the hard part, and it was a good day.

BrunswickDawg
06-27-2020, 05:15 PM

We're gonna rename Forrest County Leningrad County just for you.

dantheman4248
06-27-2020, 05:23 PM
The only hang up going forward will be the challenge in the courts come tuesday morning (or whenever tate / leg get done doing what they doing)

Believe me this will be challenged up to the SCOTUS if need be.

I do wonder what the legal ruling will be since the leg had punted it to the people in 2001. Someone more well versed in law / politics than me could probably explain it better, but I'm not sure how it will hold up in court that the leg are voting something that they had previously left up to the people. It could be challenged and they can't just eliminate it since the people voted to keep it.

Rex54
06-27-2020, 05:33 PM
We're gonna rename Forrest County Leningrad County just for you.

It's going to be Obama county

LC Dawg
06-27-2020, 05:36 PM
So if Tate changes his mind (or has it changed for him) and vetoes it there would still be a need for the 2/3 votes to override the veto right?
I just hate having to rely on the word of a politician. I'm ready for it to be completely over.

dantheman4248
06-27-2020, 05:39 PM
So if Tate changes his mind (or has it changed for him) and vetoes it there would still be a need for the 2/3 votes to override the veto right?
I just hate having to rely on the word of a politician. I'm ready for it to be completely over.

No. Only majority for override.

The only hang up is if the court determines this is legal to do (which I fear they will rule it isn't, but again I'm not the most well versed in law, only took a few undergrad courses and didn't pursue law school.)

LC Dawg
06-27-2020, 05:53 PM

The only hang up is if the court determines this is legal to do (which I fear they will rule it isn't, but again I'm not the most well versed in law, only took a few undergrad courses and didn't pursue law school.)

Thanks

DownwardDawg
06-27-2020, 05:55 PM

I don?t think you need to worry about this one. Now, when they start trying to change county names and such, that?ll become a major political battle.

BeardoMSU
06-27-2020, 06:09 PM
I don?t think you need to worry about this one. Now, when they start trying to change county names and such, that?ll become a major political battle.

Something that does worry me, though, is a certain someone, who happens to enjoy tweeting and gaslighting on a massive scale, somehow stumbles across this story and decides to opine about it to all his twitter minions.....

I could see "yes" votes, as well as the Guv, getting cold feet if that happened.

BrunswickDawg
06-27-2020, 06:16 PM

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/78/18/97/78189749103b99781297389d75f9cf7a.gif

Mobile Bay
06-27-2020, 06:18 PM
You were saying?

I happily stand shocked and corrected.

Gutter Cobreh
06-27-2020, 06:35 PM
I happily stand shocked and corrected.

Can't say I wasn't surprised as well. I envisioned some backwoods bloc of legislatures getting together and causing it not to pass.

Great day for MS!!!

Rex54
06-27-2020, 08:43 PM

"John Wayne Airport" - cancelled!
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/california-democrats-resolution-john-wayne-airport-renamed.amp

Lord McBuckethead
06-27-2020, 08:50 PM

Naw, but it does need to be changed.

confucius say
06-27-2020, 09:28 PM

No you would need 2/3 of the legislature to override a veto. But only Need a majority to pass the bill and get it sent to Tate for his signing into law.

But Tate is not going to veto it.

bostondawg
06-27-2020, 10:37 PM
"John Wayne Airport" - cancelled!
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/california-democrats-resolution-john-wayne-airport-renamed.amp

Oh no. Not John Wayne airport. That place was the foundation of American culture. Thomas Jefferson spent many months contemplating democracy at that airport. Sadly, America is lost. The communists have won.

dantheman4248
06-28-2020, 01:50 AM
No you would need 2/3 of the legislature to override a veto. But only Need a majority to pass the bill and get it sent to Tate for his signing into law.

But Tate is not going to veto it.

I must have misunderstood because I thought this being 2/3rds overrides any possible tater veto. Idk. Our political system is very wonky (the us in general not just MS)

WinningIsRelentless
06-28-2020, 12:04 PM
I must have misunderstood because I thought this being 2/3rds overrides any possible tater veto. Idk. Our political system is very wonky (the us in general not just MS)

No the 2/3 is to suspend the rules and not an actual vote on a bill.

confucius say
06-28-2020, 12:31 PM

2/3 yesterday was to suspend the rules show a vote could be had.

That vote will be today and just needs a simple majority to pass. It would go to Tate to sign into law.

If Tate were to veto the bill, then another 2/3 vote would be required to override the veto. Presumably that could be done if the same 2/3 that voted yesterday to suspend the rules voted the same way to override the veto.

ScoobaDawg
06-28-2020, 02:00 PM
House is starting meeting now

ScoobaDawg
06-28-2020, 02:48 PM
No action on the flag yet... wonder if this is related. just recessed temporarily to got rules committee.

Listening to some of these other bills just make me sick.. plain corruption being talked about and they just smile and grin.

WinningIsRelentless
06-28-2020, 02:51 PM
No action on the flag yet... wonder if this is related. just recessed temporarily to got rules committee.

Listening to some of these other bills just make me sick.. plain corruption being talked about and they just smile and grin.

Yes, rules committee is about to take up the flag bill.

ScoobaDawg
06-28-2020, 02:56 PM
House bill for the state flag
http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/2020/pdf/history/HB/HB1796.xml

History of Actions:
1 06/28 Suspend from Deadlines by HC 69
2 06/28 (H) Referred To Rules

Title: AN ACT TO ESTABLISH THE COMMISSION TO REDESIGN THE MISSISSIPPI STATE FLAG; TO PRESCRIBE THE MEMBERSHIP OF THE COMMISSION AND TO PROVIDE FOR ITS ORGANIZATION AND MEETINGS; TO PROVIDE THAT THE NEW DESIGN FOR THE MISSISSIPPI STATE FLAG RECOMMENDED BY THE COMMISSION SHALL NOT INCLUDE THE DESIGN OF THE CONFEDERATE BATTLE FLAG, BUT SHALL INCLUDE THE WORDS "IN GOD WE TRUST"; TO PROVIDE THAT THE COMMISSION SHALL MAKE ITS RECOMMENDATION FOR THE NEW DESIGN FOR THE MISSISSIPPI STATE FLAG BY SEPTEMBER 14, 2020; TO PROVIDE THAT THE NEW DESIGN FOR THE MISSISSIPPI STATE FLAG RECOMMENDED BY THE COMMISSION SHALL BE PLACED ON THE BALLOT IN A SPECIAL ELECTION TO BE HELD ON NOVEMBER 3, 2020; TO PROVIDE THAT IF A MAJORITY OF THE QUALIFIED ELECTORS VOTE FOR THE NEW DESIGN, THEN THE LEGISLATURE SHALL ENACT INTO LAW THE NEW DESIGN AS THE OFFICIAL MISSISSIPPI STATE FLAG; TO PROVIDE THAT IF A MAJORITY OF THE QUALIFIED ELECTORS VOTE AGAINST THE NEW DESIGN, THEN THE COMMISSION SHALL RECONVENE TO RECOMMEND ANOTHER NEW DESIGN FOR THE MISSISSIPPI STATE FLAG TO BE PRESENTED TO THE LEGISLATURE DURING THE 2021 REGULAR SESSION; TO REQUIRE THAT THE SPECIAL ELECTION BE ADMINISTERED BY MEANS OF BALLOTS CONTAINING A COLOR PICTURE OR DRAWING OF THE NEW DESIGN FOR THE MISSISSIPPI STATE FLAG; TO REQUIRE THE SECRETARY OF STATE TO PROVIDE THOSE BALLOTS TO THE ELECTION COMMISSIONERS OF EACH COUNTY; TO AMEND SECTIONS 23-15-351 AND 23-15-355, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO CONFORM TO THE PRECEDING PROVISIONS; TO REPEAL SECTION 3-3-16, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, WHICH PROVIDES THE DESIGN FOR THE OFFICIAL FLAG OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.

ScoobaDawg
06-28-2020, 03:00 PM
and we are back on the feed...

ScoobaDawg
06-28-2020, 03:16 PM
amendment proposed to name the bill after Kylin Hill

immediately tabled.

iPat09
06-28-2020, 03:17 PM
amendment proposed to name the bill after Kylin Hill

You mean Keelan? ***

ScoobaDawg
06-28-2020, 03:26 PM
91- 23 passes the house.

ScoobaDawg
06-28-2020, 03:30 PM
Senate feed shows will start at 10am tomorrow.

Offshore Dawg
06-28-2020, 03:36 PM
Senate feed shows will start at 10am tomorrow.

"WTF"

hacker
06-28-2020, 03:45 PM
91- 23 passes the house.

Funny it got more votes than the one that required 2/3rds. Some people that voted no yesterday voted yes today just so they can say they supported it, yet yesterday was the vote that mattered.

WinningIsRelentless
06-28-2020, 03:46 PM
The senate rules committee is taking it up right now. Senate is subject to call, so they will be back when it comes out of committee.

ScoobaDawg
06-28-2020, 04:00 PM
"WTF"

Looks like I was wrong.. should happen soon...
https://twitter.com/GanucheauAdam/status/1277345057847365634

ScoobaDawg
06-28-2020, 04:00 PM
I'm guessing this will be the feed... will update if not
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yRUagTaWT4

ScoobaDawg
06-28-2020, 04:15 PM
It's live.. let's do this!!!

ScoobaDawg
06-28-2020, 05:17 PM
amendment proposed... to completely change everything basically.. including changing it to putting it on the ballet for the voters to decide in Nov. If they decide to remove the flag, a special election would occur to decide between 3 options.

Just..No.

ScoobaDawg
06-28-2020, 05:23 PM
amendment tabled!

LC Dawg
06-28-2020, 05:23 PM
It would be embarrassing to have just one vile racist in the state senate but good god Mississippi. We've got a few straight up 1960s heroes in there.
I'm so happy this is getting done now. I can't even fathom how embarrassing it would be if we had put this to a vote of the people.

ScoobaDawg
06-28-2020, 05:50 PM
McDaniel aka Rex54 speaking now one last time

ScoobaDawg
06-28-2020, 06:01 PM
It's done!!!! just sign it tater...

https://twitter.com/News_MS/status/1277375869426827266

Lord McBuckethead
06-28-2020, 06:13 PM
It's done!!!! just sign it tater...

https://twitter.com/News_MS/status/1277375869426827266

I want to know the 14 Senate members.

BeardoMSU
06-28-2020, 06:20 PM
McDaniel aka Rex54 speaking now one last time

Lol, I assume it was plenty of "old times there are not forgotten"

Dawgology
06-28-2020, 06:21 PM
I watched it live and after the vote I took my cowbell outside to ring it to celebrate a victory for all of Mississippi (whether they know it now or not). When I went outside I was greeted by the sound of at least two other cowbells ringing in the distance. I don’t live in Starkville and I’m pretty rural so it was surprising...and awesome.

MaroonFlounder
06-28-2020, 06:52 PM
This is a great day for Mississippi. I never thought it would happen.

Hope this means new business and industry setting up in the state, going forward.

Rex54
06-28-2020, 06:55 PM
This is a great day for Mississippi. I never thought it would happen.

Hope this means new business and industry setting up in the state, going forward.

And more immigrants!

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-28-2020, 07:01 PM
And more immigrants!

lol no surprise your racist ass is against immigrants too

You're going to get banned soon and nobody will be upset even a little by it

Mobile Bay
06-28-2020, 07:03 PM
You were saying?

A totally separate thread where I already admitted I was surprised and wrong. You can go 17 yourself for this shit, jackwagon.

Rex54
06-28-2020, 07:08 PM

Go **** yourself.

WinningIsRelentless
06-28-2020, 07:23 PM
Go **** yourself.

McDaniel needs a shoulder to cry on. Why don?t you take a break and go be his shoulder.

Turfdawg67
06-28-2020, 07:27 PM

I sure won't. His other alias got banned just for trolling incessantly about JoMo. Maybe this time it'll be for a different trolling reason. What say you Scooba?!?

Rex54
06-28-2020, 07:28 PM
I sure won't. His other alias got banned just for trolling incessantly about JoMo. Maybe this time it'll be for a different trolling reason. What say you Scooba?!?
Tattle tale

BeardoMSU
06-28-2020, 07:29 PM
Go **** yourself.

Ok, double O negative

Gutter Cobreh
06-28-2020, 07:32 PM
A totally separate thread where I already admitted I was surprised and wrong. You can go 17 yourself for this shit, jackwagon.

I only posted that question to you once and it was in this thread you freaking inbred. I replied to you (see page 3 - post 46 and 47). I think I even gave you some positive rep. for admitting you jumped the gun.

Lay off the sauce or improve your reading comprehension.

dantheman4248
06-28-2020, 07:33 PM
Go **** yourself.

Give him a week ban.

chef dixon
06-28-2020, 07:39 PM

Man I don't know if I buy that theory. 007 posting style was so different, I'm not sure he ended any post without at least one exclamation mark. Would be a hell of a disguise.

ScoobaDawg
06-28-2020, 07:44 PM

Could you remind me what his other alias was?

Either way. Rex.. It's been fun (not) but bye! And this ain't no week off... Come back when we are allowed to play football...

dantheman4248
06-28-2020, 07:45 PM

Either way. Rex.. It's been fun (not) but bye! And this ain't no week off... Come back when we are allowed to play football...

Posts a lot like coach007

Though this account did want jomo to gogo

BeardoMSU
06-28-2020, 07:47 PM

What's the commie equivalent of Hallelujah?**

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-28-2020, 08:03 PM

Thanks scoob. I'm not for banning anyone for opinions but just spamming political ignorance everywhere gains us nothing