PDA

View Full Version : It's the weekend... what are you eating or drinking

ScoobaDawg
06-26-2020, 08:53 PM
I've shifted back into bourbon mode lately.. ran out the store today to load up on a few things and been sampling them all night

Knob Creek single barrell store pick - KC has such a unique taste.. drop a stone in it tuns into earthy flavors and barrel that i do like.
Jack Daniel Single Barrel Select store pick - So much smoother than the regular #7. I'm still not a big fan of whiskey but this can help change my mind
Elijah Craig Small Batch store pick - this could be my new sipper ..or maybe old fashion goto...
Weller Special Reserve - My first wellers of my own, all the blantons and other sold out quickly.. and I don't care to line up at opening or play the store came for allocations. - but this is really smooth.
Hudson Bay Manhattan Rye - pairs so well with spicy food i found out at my birthday brunch - going to enjoy sipping on this one...
and finally - High West - Rendezvous rye - the base for midwinters night dram which is amazing. Impressive..-- have to try more of the high west line

and the impossible task, after my birthday brunch.. I need to find a bottle of Michters 10.

Mobile Bay
06-26-2020, 08:58 PM
Evan Williams Bottled in Bond, and Arby's

But seriously, don't sleep on the Evan here. It's crazy stupid goooooood for the price.

msu15
06-26-2020, 09:06 PM
Water. Was at 304 June 1st and finally said enough, weighed 280 this morning.

Mobile Bay
06-26-2020, 09:10 PM

I remember weighing 280. Wrestling in Jr. High.

BrunswickDawg
06-26-2020, 09:25 PM
Just finished putting rub on a butt. Will hit the smoker in the AM.

DownwardDawg
06-26-2020, 09:25 PM
You mentioned some of my favs.
Elijah Craig Small Batch- store pick is great but the non store pick is great as well.
Knob Creek Single Barrel store pick is another excellent bourbon.
Weller Special Reserve
Blantons-I love my Blantons.
Four Roses Single Barrel

Just some of my favorites that aren’t too expensive and readily available other than the Blantons.

DownwardDawg
06-26-2020, 09:26 PM

Congrats. Great job man.

msstate7
06-26-2020, 09:33 PM

Good job

confucius say
06-26-2020, 09:38 PM
Captain crunch with berries in milk right now. True story. To be chased with an ultra.

ScoobaDawg
06-26-2020, 09:41 PM
Just finished putting rub on a butt. Will hit the smoker in the AM.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTf20BUhDvVC8izTvS5h5iPHDI8VKn Iw5aUNw&usqp=CAU

But seriously.. I look forward to getting a smoker. Not till next year though when I move. will hopefully get a green egg also.

ScoobaDawg
06-26-2020, 09:43 PM

Damn good job. working from home = cooking more... and i haven't dedicated to not changing that like i need to.. still drinking a bunch of beer when not bourbon or wine..
and started making fresh pasta..

exercise went down.
Yea.. need to do something. not as bad as you but creeping towards 250.

ScoobaDawg
06-26-2020, 09:46 PM
You mentioned some of my favs.
Elijah Craig Small Batch- store pick is great but the non store pick is great as well.
Knob Creek Single Barrel store pick is another excellent bourbon.
Weller Special Reserve
Blantons-I love my Blantons.
Four Roses Single Barrel

Just some of my favorites that aren’t too expensive and readily available other than the Blantons.

Yep.. blantons dropped this morning at my local store but i don't do the chase that much.. did that with beer at times. and i love blantons but i have a bottle of blantons red right now a friend brought me back from japan..
So I'm good there.

Four roses i just haven't come around on loving. but haven't had SB only small batch.

I was able to get a store pick of Whistle Pig "10 year old" that was really 12... sooo much going on but so hot.

msstate7
06-26-2020, 09:53 PM
Captain crunch with berries in milk right now. True story. To be chased with an ultra.

My kinda Friday night

Jack Lambert
06-26-2020, 10:06 PM
I had Butterball Turkey Sausage cooked in water along with green pepper. White rice with black pepper and salt. Two slices of white bread not toasted or buttered. Large glass of Dr. Pepper with a refill.

SaintDawg
06-26-2020, 10:07 PM
Moscow Mule and made this for dinner:3212
Baseball Steak Surf & Turf, Shrimp with Havarti Cheese Grits, Onion Straws and Au Jus

DownwardDawg
06-26-2020, 10:21 PM
Yep.. blantons dropped this morning at my local store but i don't do the chase that much.. did that with beer at times. and i love blantons but i have a bottle of blantons red right now a friend brought me back from japan..
So I'm good there.

Four roses i just haven't come around on loving. but haven't had SB only small batch.

I was able to get a store pick of Whistle Pig "10 year old" that was really 12... sooo much going on but so hot.
Try the Single Barrel Four Roses. Totally different than the small batch. I don’t like that one at all. Take the shelf bottle and not a fancy store pick. The recipe is a little higher on the rye side. I love it.

DownwardDawg
06-26-2020, 10:21 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTf20BUhDvVC8izTvS5h5iPHDI8VKn Iw5aUNw&usqp=CAU

But seriously.. I look forward to getting a smoker. Not till next year though when I move. will hopefully get a green egg also.

I just recently bought an egg and so far I love it!!

BrunswickDawg
06-26-2020, 10:31 PM

Not a pic of the butt -
But I did get to a preview of our first real, local brewery opening up in Brunswick next week.
Beer was smooth

https://i.postimg.cc/GtCStPcx/B15232-B7-1953-4659-9-F11-0-CD50205-B760.jpg

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
06-26-2020, 10:39 PM
Mostly water and will have milk with my Whey and Casein.

LC Dawg
06-26-2020, 10:44 PM
Had a couple of gin and tonics and baked some salmon with some herbs from my garden. Gin was good. My salmon recipe not so much. Currently sipping on some Basil Hayden's which is good but not great.

Coach34
06-26-2020, 10:45 PM
I miss the old drankin, Cooking, and music threads of the old days on Elite.

Cowbell
06-26-2020, 10:49 PM

Do yourself a favor and watch this. You're welcome.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=arYi03bQ0FY

THE Bruce Dickinson
06-26-2020, 11:03 PM
Went to Georgia Blue in Starkville tonight (was crowded). Had a great meal. I am not sure why it get negative reviews in other places like Flowood. I haven't had a bad meal there.

Came home and am drinking a Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale from Boulevard Brew. out of Kansas City. Fantastic

Going to bed soon so I can play in a golf tournament in the morning.

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

ScoobaDawg
06-26-2020, 11:31 PM

We all know how to do at least 2 of the 3... i'll try to fire it up on fridays for now to help the weekends..

starkvegasdawg
06-27-2020, 08:08 AM
Massive case of gout so my menu is water and hydrocodone.

DownwardDawg
06-27-2020, 08:18 AM
Do yourself a favor and watch this. You're welcome.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=arYi03bQ0FY

That’s was awesome. Thanks for posting.

DownwardDawg
06-27-2020, 08:19 AM
Massive case of gout so my menu is water and hydrocodone.

OMG I hate gout!!! If you’re a drinker switch to bourbon. Stay away from beer.

DownwardDawg
06-27-2020, 08:20 AM
We all know how to do at least 2 of the 3... i'll try to fire it up on fridays for now to help the weekends..

This is a good thread. This is the nicest we’ve all been to each other in a while. Good topic.

Dawgcap
06-27-2020, 11:31 AM
Getting a leg workout in then time to have a little lunch, then hopefully some sun and several Nattys. Y?all have a great day!!

Prediction? Pain.
06-27-2020, 12:26 PM

This is a good thread. This is the nicest we?ve all been to each other in a while. Good topic.

This summer's been hit and miss, but the tradition lives on over on the Outdoor Dawgs page. Regardless, agreed, more food and booze talk is always a good thing.

Yesterday I picked up this year's bottled-in-bond release from Dickel.

https://i.postimg.cc/7ZSx3Yvm/IMG-20200626-150336.jpg

I was hoping it'd come out at the MSRP ($40) like last year's 13-year-old version did (when MSRP was somehow $37), but it didn't. Got it for $45, and other stores here are selling it for $50 and $55 a bottle. Stupid "Whisky of the Year" for last year's release jacked it all up. I'll crack it open tonight. Eventually I'll compare it to last year's and maybe a Dickel single barrel I have, too.

Aside from Dickel, other American stuff I've been drinking lately include Knob Creek Single Barrel, Baker's Single Barrel, and Russel's Reserve 10 Year. All are good and slightly different. Baker's may be the most distinct of the bunch, with this syrupy apple thing going on on the nose.

As for Irish and Scottish stuff, still digging Bushmill's 10-year single malt, Compass Box, and Auchentoshan. I've been hanging onto a bottle of Auchentoshan Three Wood since Christmas that I'm finally about to open. Super stoked about it.

Foodwise, not much going on this weekend, which is fine by me. I've been on a big stir-fry kick lately, so maybe some of that.

Oh, and music. Finishing up a 2-year-long music-nerd vision quest with some friends where we listened to Pitchfork's entire "Best 200 Albums of the 1960s" (https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/the-200-best-albums-of-the-1960s/) in order, two albums per week. It's been awesome, though a little trying at times. (Pitchfork's snooty as they come -- and that's saying something coming from me, a recovering music snob -- so they've peppered in plenty of obscure, experimental B.S.) This is week 100, so we're at Nos. 1 and 2 -- The Velvet Underground and Nico and Pet Sounds. Haven't seriously sat down with Pet Sounds in years. It's been great.

dantheman4248
06-27-2020, 01:25 PM
Dieting so I've been on the bud light seltzer kick lately. Black Cherry 12 pack does the job on a friday night.

Got some chicken for the week marinating. Probably gonna grill burgers by the pool later. It's hilarious how many people I've made friends in my locale just cause I use seasoning that isn't salt and pepper. I don't understand how people can live for so long thinking that that is seasoning.

For the business savvy side of ED. Waffle House, Whataburger, Cookout, etc. would all do numbers north of the mason-dixon. Throw a Waffle House in Ann Arbor, Columbus, or Madison and watch it do numbers. Insane that Indianapolis is the farthest it reaches into the Midwest.

dantheman4248
06-27-2020, 01:26 PM
Getting a leg workout in then time to have a little lunch, then hopefully some sun and several Nattys. Y?all have a great day!!

Highly recommend the naturdays. Lemonade + Natty combo is the perfect summer weekend beer on the river.

DownwardDawg
06-27-2020, 02:07 PM
For music, my wife and I have been driving my son up to Huntsville Alabama a good bit. He's been performing outdoors at Bridgestreet outside of all the restaurants. Not a whole lot going on for upcoming singer/songwriters right now. He's scheduled to be in Nashville at The Commodore Grill later in July but I guess we'll have to see how that goes since the Covid is ramping back up.

IMissJack
06-27-2020, 08:38 PM
Smoking a 9lb. pork shoulder on the Kamado Joe right now.

Liverpooldawg
06-27-2020, 10:51 PM
Hum, let's see if I can remember.....BEER: High Cotton IPA, Cigar City Jai Ligh (spelling BIG TIME?) IPA, Wiseacre American Pilsner, Hopsecutioner. Angry Orchard Cider. Shrimp, squash, and corn on the grill, Highland Park Viking whiskey after dinner.

Offshore Dawg
06-28-2020, 07:14 AM
QUESTION, why isn't this thread on the Outdoor Dawgs page where it was discussed in the past. I also notice that the regular outdoor dawg posters are not in this thread.

dantheman4248
06-28-2020, 09:59 AM
QUESTION, why isn't this thread on the Outdoor Dawgs page where it was discussed in the past. I also notice that the regular outdoor dawg posters are not in this thread.

Because the main board is where the majority of users post and Scoob decided we needed a non political thread that would have high engagement without disagreement. Nuance.

dawgman
06-28-2020, 12:05 PM
Anything Pritchards distilled in beautiful downtown Kelso, TN

ElectroDawg
06-28-2020, 08:11 PM
A little Bbq, beer, and Booker's for these dawgs
https://i.postimg.cc/9F2vtctb/20200628-195254.jpg

ScoobaDawg
06-29-2020, 02:26 AM

Fair enough question... I made the decision to post it here because there are still not really any sports going on to discuss...and as Dan mentioned.. to break up the different non-sports discussion going on.

Offshore Dawg
06-29-2020, 11:46 AM
Fair enough question... I made the decision to post it here because there are still not really any sports going on to discuss...and as Dan mentioned.. to break up the different non-sports discussion going on.

Thanks, don't care where you post it just glad to have it weekly. This board has some good cooks and I enjoy seeing what they are cooking up

DownwardDawg
06-29-2020, 01:28 PM
Just scored a bottle of Weller Special Reserve Single Barrel store pick. Looking forward to trying it out!!

ScoobaDawg
06-29-2020, 04:41 PM
Just scored a bottle of Weller Special Reserve Single Barrel store pick. Looking forward to trying it out!!

Nice.... I haven't seen one of those before.. usually the sp are owa's.
Saturday was a good day... J Mattingly (Bourbon 30) special bottle drop I was able to pick up from someone else at cost.. If you ever get a chance to get to try any of his production..(he doesn't distill.. just tuns the juice into magic in his barrels)... do so, he's bourbon royalty and was great chatting with him. Other peeps were passing around Stagg Jr b12 to taste... wow loved it. my first stagg jr to try. Great something else I can't get my hands on lol.
Blantons SFTB
Weirdest one was a Bull Run that was aged in pinot noir barrels... just ODD. and i love wine and am a much bigger wine snob honestly.

Just cracked for the afternoon a bottle of Larceny A120, I'm not big into BP yet but it's confirming that i indeed do like wheated bourbons.. which might not be a good thing.. Have a couple stones in it to help cool it down.. but that proof still does shine across the sweetness at first.. now after a little time breathing.. honey, caramel, little spice on the back...

Looking at the lineup for the afternoon.. some more High West Rendezvous rye, weller sr and hudson manhattan. ..while debating on dinner tonight..

DownwardDawg
06-29-2020, 06:52 PM
Nice.... I haven't seen one of those before.. usually the sp are owa's.
Saturday was a good day... J Mattingly (Bourbon 30) special bottle drop I was able to pick up from someone else at cost.. If you ever get a chance to get to try any of his production..(he doesn't distill.. just tuns the juice into magic in his barrels)... do so, he's bourbon royalty and was great chatting with him. Other peeps were passing around Stagg Jr b12 to taste... wow loved it. my first stagg jr to try. Great something else I can't get my hands on lol.
Blantons SFTB
Weirdest one was a Bull Run that was aged in pinot noir barrels... just ODD. and i love wine and am a much bigger wine snob honestly.

Just cracked for the afternoon a bottle of Larceny A120, I'm not big into BP yet but it's confirming that i indeed do like wheated bourbons.. which might not be a good thing.. Have a couple stones in it to help cool it down.. but that proof still does shine across the sweetness at first.. now after a little time breathing.. honey, caramel, little spice on the back...

Looking at the lineup for the afternoon.. some more High West Rendezvous rye, weller sr and hudson manhattan. ..while debating on dinner tonight..

I love the Larceny bourbons. I guess I like the wheaters. Funny thing about my Weller today, I paid $50 for it thinking it was the regular Special Reserve. Even that one is getting rare these days. I was a little disappointed in myself all the way home for paying that. Got home and looked at the bottle and got pretty damn pumped!!!!
My buddy is a collector and he says I got a damn fine bourbon for $50.

LC Dawg
06-29-2020, 06:59 PM
I'm grilling some shrimp that didn't get cooked this weekend and drinking Selfie Destruct from Southern Prohibition. Looking forward to only 3 more days until a 3 day weekend. Quarantine life is really not that bad if you have something good to cook and good to drink.

ScoobaDawg
06-29-2020, 07:34 PM
I'm grilling some shrimp that didn't get cooked this weekend and drinking Selfie Destruct from Southern Prohibition. Looking forward to only 3 more days until a 3 day weekend. Quarantine life is really not that bad if you have something good to cook and good to drink.

I really need to stop buying anything though.. even though i feel i'm building up my "bourbon collection" for now.
I have enough liquor, beer, and wine to kill the whole state of MS i think.

DownwardDawg
06-29-2020, 07:38 PM
I really need to stop buying anything though.. even though i feel i'm building up my "bourbon collection" for now.

I think it kills corona in your throat so keep drinking brother! We can share as long as we never bring up politics!!
It’s amazing how much we are all alike unless we start talking politics. Crazy that we let that crap bother us so much.

ScoobaDawg
06-29-2020, 07:41 PM
I think it kills corona in your throat so keep drinking brother! We can share as long as we never bring up politics!!
It’s amazing how much we are all alike unless we start talking politics. Crazy that we let that crap bother us so much.

No worries dude.. know it's never been personal.. there's maybe a handful of posters that i remember much about on here.. (since I tend to read almost everything...and dear God.. I just make sure craps not overly racist or anything right now and let it be..)
and sorry, your name doesn't make it into the cut. So sorry if you thought it was personal.. it's not i can promised ya.. cheers.

LC Dawg
06-29-2020, 08:20 PM

Ha! I hear you. When the quarantine/shelter at home started I decided I was going to get into bourbon. I love craft beer and a Bloody Mary but never dove off into bourbon. I soon put together a pretty nice selection of what you can get in Mississippi but along the way I discovered I also love gin and all the things you can do with it. One day I came home with some vegetable plants and soil and containers and my wife asked me what the hell I was doing and I told her if I didn't get another hobby I would be an alcoholic before they get a vaccine. At least now I tend to my little patio garden after work every day before I start drinking.

fieldcorporal
06-30-2020, 09:45 AM
OMG I hate gout!!! If you?re a drinker switch to bourbon. Stay away from beer.

Beer does not cause gout.

Broccoli causes gout.

(Uloric is your friend)

DownwardDawg
06-30-2020, 10:04 AM

Broccoli causes gout.

(Uloric is your friend)

You must not have gout. Beer doesn’t cause it but it absolutely causes flare ups!!! You’ll never get anyone that I know with gout to believe beer doesn’t aggravate it. It sucks but it’s true.

fieldcorporal
06-30-2020, 10:23 AM
You must not have gout. Beer doesn’t cause it but it absolutely causes flare ups!!! You’ll never get anyone that I know with gout to believe beer doesn’t aggravate it. It sucks but it’s true.

Dude. It was a (bad) joke.

I had gout, bad, 10 years ago. It sucks, completely and totally. It will make you wanna cry.

I did all the diet things - I must have drank and eaten all the cherry juice/cherries grown in the US. Quit drinking beer and anything else. No pork. No tuna, none of the uric acid causing stuff. Still had bad flare-ups.

I started taking Uloric when it was $$new$$. Haven't had a flareup in 10 years. I drink all the beer I want, eat what I want, but I NEVER miss taking my uloric.

Better living through chemistry.

DownwardDawg
06-30-2020, 11:04 AM
Dude. It was a (bad) joke.

I had gout, bad, 10 years ago. It sucks, completely and totally. It will make you wanna cry.

I did all the diet things - I must have drank and eaten all the cherry juice/cherries grown in the US. Quit drinking beer and anything else. No pork. No tuna, none of the uric acid causing stuff. Still had bad flare-ups.

I started taking Uloric when it was $$new$$. Haven't had a flareup in 10 years. I drink all the beer I want, eat what I want, but I NEVER miss taking my uloric.

Better living through chemistry.

I gotcha. Sorry about that. It went right over my head!!!

fieldcorporal
06-30-2020, 11:37 AM
No problem at all.

tone doesn't carry well in posts...

Offshore Dawg
06-30-2020, 06:06 PM
So much for playing nice with each other HeHeHe !!!!

starkvegasdawg
06-30-2020, 06:26 PM

Broccoli causes gout.

(Uloric is your friend)

They prescribed me allopurinol. Problem is you have to drink like 60-70oz of water a day and I never remember to. If you don't then it'll give you boulder size kidney stones and I've had those, too. Little PSA, if you ever even think you hear, or dream you hear, your urologist use the term stent, run like a wild banshee out of the room. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Just. Get. The. 17. Out. Having a stent removed was probably a combination of the greatest indignity and the greatest pain I've ever experienced.

ScoobaDawg
07-04-2020, 06:29 PM
Alright boys... It's the 4th... Break out something special...
What ya cooking, what ya drinking.

I picked up some Alaskan sockeye tuna the other day at the grocery and need to cook it tonight. Maybe I'll do some steak on the side with it along with roasted green beans.. Figuring it out shortly.

About to run by the liquor store.. Gotta pick up a bottle of Sagamore rye and a few other things.. Mix up some old fashions while cooking.

Then watch some fireworks on the TV.

Cowbell
07-04-2020, 08:18 PM
Smoked Memphis style ribs, fresh corn smoked in the husk, and ice cream here.

Prediction? Pain.
07-04-2020, 10:14 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/Z5GhsnTW/IMG-20200703-230949.jpg

Had to switch to this after some Irish whiskey a couple of days ago. Because America and all.

ElectroDawg
07-04-2020, 11:08 PM
Excellent choice with the Eagle Rare.

I cold smoked then seared https://i.postimg.cc/Prf0TZ4F/20200704-155912.jpga beef tenderloin and had El Major Tequila to drink.

starkvegasdawg
07-04-2020, 11:31 PM
No finished pics but two racks of baby back ribs that were slow smoked on the grill for almost five hours until the storms moved in and forced me to finish them in the oven. Paired with baked beans, potato salad, slaw, Texas toast, and buttermilk pie for dessert.

Coach34
07-04-2020, 11:43 PM
Titos

Pork Butt slow cooked for 6 hours with my bastardized version of Myron Mixon's rub
Homemade vanilla ice cream

And as far as music listened to during the cook:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWyblTqAwp0

ScoobaDawg
07-06-2020, 12:02 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/Z5GhsnTW/IMG-20200703-230949.jpg

Had to switch to this after some Irish whiskey a couple of days ago. Because America and all.

Good call. still haven't had a bottle for myself but compared 2 store picks to regular and.. huge difference. don't much care for the regular now.

ScoobaDawg
07-06-2020, 12:11 AM
I need to start posting some pics myself.... last night was the sockeye salmon and asparagus along with a white wine from Lebanon made of sauv blanc and viognier.. wonderful pairing with the fish.

tonight, threw a dozen wings in the oven and put it on airfryer mode.. tossed in some bbq sauce and enjoyed.

Tomorrow, have some hand trimmed chicken breasts marinating in an italian seasoning and will cook those up for lunch. for dinner, will make some pulled pork in the instapot (i know.. i don't have a griller or smoker right now).

Cracking a bottle of Michters bourbon tonight. As previously mentioned, i had a chance to try m10 at my birthday brunch a couple weeks ago.. so i searched out and got lucky to get a bottle.
Not wanting to drink it all in a week.. decided to try the regular and sure enough...love the flavors.. so will sip on that and save the m10 for special occasions.

Tomorrow, I'm going to do a comparison of Weller SR, W12, and redemption wheated to see how they hold up to each other.

I really need to drink up and not buy more for a month or so..
I'm at 18 bottles of bourbon now.

Music...Hamilton.. already watched it 3 times.

DownwardDawg
07-06-2020, 02:47 PM
I need to start posting some pics myself.... last night was the sockeye salmon and asparagus along with a white wine from Lebanon made of sauv blanc and viognier.. wonderful pairing with the fish.

tonight, threw a dozen wings in the oven and put it on airfryer mode.. tossed in some bbq sauce and enjoyed.

Tomorrow, have some hand trimmed chicken breasts marinating in an italian seasoning and will cook those up for lunch. for dinner, will make some pulled pork in the instapot (i know.. i don't have a griller or smoker right now).

Cracking a bottle of Michters bourbon tonight. As previously mentioned, i had a chance to try m10 at my birthday brunch a couple weeks ago.. so i searched out and got lucky to get a bottle.
Not wanting to drink it all in a week.. decided to try the regular and sure enough...love the flavors.. so will sip on that and save the m10 for special occasions.

Tomorrow, I'm going to do a comparison of Weller SR, W12, and redemption wheated to see how they hold up to each other.

I really need to drink up and not buy more for a month or so..
I'm at 18 bottles of bourbon now.

Music...Hamilton.. already watched it 3 times.

Let me know how the comparison goes. I wish I had a Weller 12 year. Drank all mine. I turned down a bottle for $90 because I just don’t think it’s worth that but I’m second guessing that decision now.

BrunswickDawg
07-06-2020, 06:42 PM
My daughter just drove in from Starkville to spend a week before going back for work. She surprised me with an Edam ball, and tubs of cheddar spread and jalape?os spread. I win, but I have a feeling she's probably about to ask me for money lol!

ScoobaDawg
07-08-2020, 01:42 AM
Haven't done the comparision yet. Drinking some other samples shared with me.
Willet 4 year Rye - wow, I thought i liked rye.. but damn THAT'S a floral and tasty...
Next was Angel's envy rye - so smooth, brown sugar...

I will be looking to find bottles of both of those.
Just got some other samples.. Elijah craig BP Batch B and C and WIld Turkey Rare Breed.

Another friend shared something truly unique with me... a dusty.. aka OLLLD bottles. this is older than a lot of posters on here likely.
Old Crow. Distilled in 1959. spent 10 years in barrels.. then put in a decanters that look like chess pieces.. this one was a rook i believe.
Super different. Vanilla and barrel on the nose... Very smooth at first.. But finishes with a weird soapy like taste.. wife got banana peel on the finish. interesting...

Back to drinking the Bulleit blenders select, in ways reminds me of a coke...super smooth. honey, vanilla, some fruit notes. easy to drink but not certain worth the 40 dollar price.

DownwardDawg
07-08-2020, 07:44 PM
Took my son fishing on the Rez. Fought high muddy water and struggled to catch a few bass. Came home and had a few of my favorite beers. Southern Prohibition Crowd Control IPA. It’s my absolute favorite as far as beer.

ScoobaDawg
07-09-2020, 01:18 AM
Tonight's drink. Couple old fashioned with Hudson rye. I got to say a luxardo cherry just makes it... Yummy. Couple bottles of white wine. Dip in the pool. Not much to complain about..

Watching Hamilton for the 4th time and about to fall asleep.

DownwardDawg
07-13-2020, 09:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmlvyq3xAzU&feature=share

DownwardDawg
07-13-2020, 09:46 PM
Cold Sam Adams in Nashville tonight watching my son.

ScoobaDawg
08-10-2020, 11:27 AM
On a crazy monday morning .. at least for me, felt the night to bump this so I could at least discuss something non-political.

What have yall been drinking. i don't know about over in MS but where I'm at there are several clubs that have been doing some killer bottle picks that I have been loving.

Cracked open a bottle of Sagamore Rye last night that so so smooth, with the typical rye cinnamon spicy on the tip of the tongue. Wife and I played monopoly and chilled out.
Another new favorite of mine is Woodinville, the regular bourbon is good for the price (sub 40) but the club I'm in got to do a barrel pick and have it be cask strength and it's so damn good and smooth.
Don't miss out on their Rye also though, love how instead of the floral notes, i get more tropical fruit on the pallet along with the typical spice.

Got super lucky to find a bottle of Rare Breed Rye on saturday, another of my new favorite ryes.

Really need to stop buying for a bit though... I'm close to 50 bottles now i think....and out of space for displaying them..currently.

BeardoMSU
08-10-2020, 11:38 AM
On a crazy monday morning .. at least for me, felt the night to bump this so I could at least discuss something non-political.

What have yall been drinking. i don't know about over in MS but where I'm at there are several clubs that have been doing some killer bottle picks that I have been loving.

Cracked open a bottle of Sagamore Rye last night that so so smooth, with the typical rye cinnamon spicy on the tip of the tongue. Wife and I played monopoly and chilled out.
Another new favorite of mine is Woodinville, the regular bourbon is good for the price (sub 40) but the club I'm in got to do a barrel pick and have it be cask strength and it's so damn good and smooth.
Don't miss out on their Rye also though, love how instead of the floral notes, i get more tropical fruit on the pallet along with the typical spice.

Got super lucky to find a bottle of Rare Breed Rye on saturday, another of my new favorite ryes.

Really need to stop buying for a bit though... I'm close to 50 bottles now i think....and out of space for displaying them..currently.

I'm nursing the last bit of a bottle of Blantons currently.

I bought a handle of Dewars 15 the other day and have been really impressed with it, especially for a blend.

ScoobaDawg
08-10-2020, 11:48 AM
I'm nursing the last bit of a bottle of Blantons currently.

I bought a handle of Dewars 15 the other day and have been really impressed with it, especially for a blend.

Yea.. friend of mine brought back a Blantons red from japan this past winter... it's down to the bottom of the label.. so slowing down and nursing it since I can't luck into getting a regular blantons.
Another friend shared with me a sample of Gold and Straight from the Barrel. Was fun to compare all 3, but I'll never consider buying red or regular for a penny over retail now, as Gold was tremendously better...showed so much more rye floral notes, and then stfb just blew gold away... the same floral notes but add vanilla from the barrel. Impressive but not paying nearly 250 for a bottle on secondary.

ScoobaDawg
08-10-2020, 11:56 AM
Looking back at the start of this thread.. I did get ahold of a Michters 10 finally.. got lucky and hit on a fireball (if you don't know.. don't ask.. ). Still haven't cracked that thing.. saving it for something special.

Also got the Larceny BP Batch B which I'm mixed on which batch (A vs B) i cared for.
Did also get a sample of Weller 12 and Weller FP, compared that against OWA... and 12 was my favorite, but fp was still very good.. had almost like a bannana bread charteristic to it i loved with the sweetness.. but I doubt I ever luck into getting a bottle of either of those two.

DownwardDawg
08-10-2020, 02:51 PM
Enjoying the Woodford Reserve Double Oaked these days. Found some Founders 4 Giants IPA at Corner Market in Hattiesburg. Excellent beer.