PDA

View Full Version : And so it begins.....

Liverpooldawg
06-25-2020, 05:42 PM
wear a mask people.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/colleges-weigh-scrapping-football-season-in-threat-to-a-cash-cow/ar-BB15XkPj

Dawgology
06-25-2020, 05:47 PM
Let me just go ahead and put this out there. If they, stupidly, decide to do this then you will see a negative financial impact on the Golden Triangle that we will be digging out of for years. I’m talking hundreds of businesses shutting down and going out of business for good, hotels drying up, food chains associated with those will also go away as well as retail shopping. Everything but the largest store fronts will probably go bankrupt in Starkville and Columbus.

It would be profoundly stupid.

Commercecomet24
06-25-2020, 05:57 PM
Let me just go ahead and put this out there. If they, stupidly, decide to do this then you will see a negative financial impact on the Golden Triangle that we will be digging out of for years. I’m talking hundreds of businesses shutting down and going out of business for good, hotels drying up, food chains associated with those will also go away as well as retail shopping. Everything but the largest store fronts will probably go bankrupt in Starkville and Columbus.

It would be profoundly stupid.

This and it won't just be in Mississippi it'll be all over the country and especially in the southeast.

Turfdawg67
06-25-2020, 06:01 PM
wear a mask people.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/colleges-weigh-scrapping-football-season-in-threat-to-a-cash-cow/ar-BB15XkPj

Put your freaking pride and politics aside and just wear a freaking mask. I said this was going to happen 2 months ago when everyone got tired of quarantining and just said 17 it to social distancing and wearing a mask.

I was listening to Dr. Agus the other day and he believes we'll have a vaccine by September. Won't be able to give it to everyone at that time, but enough for the elderly and other high risk people.

hp22
06-25-2020, 06:09 PM
Nm

LC Dawg
06-25-2020, 06:10 PM
I was in Starkville this week and talked with one small business owner. He said there is currently much talk about eliminating tailgating for the fall but they are still holding out hope for at least some fans in the stands.
If there is no football this fall Starkville is done. A lot of the local restaurants and bars and probably hotels won't make it along with many other businesses.
I suggested that if they do play with no fans or limited fans maybe the town and businesses could work together and have some large watch parties outside in different areas of town that people may come from out of town to attend. It would be hard to enforce social distancing rules for anything like that though.

KOdawg1
06-25-2020, 06:23 PM
I hate wearing masks. Literally hate it. But I wear one because it's the decent thing to do. Swallow your pride, toughen up, quit being rebels, and just wear the damn things. We've grown to accustomed in the South of just doing the opposite of what we're told to because it's just been that way our whole lives. It's ignorant, inconsiderate, and unfair to people with elderly family members that this thing will kill. Wear a damn mask.

Bothrops
06-25-2020, 06:30 PM
Starkville will fold up if no football, and might fold up with limited football. Your favorite restaurant/bar's days are numbered. Lots of businesses on shaky ground as it is.

TrapGame
06-25-2020, 06:36 PM
I'm thinking season ticket holders only and you must wear a mask. Maybe limited or no concessions. If you're constantly lifting up your mask to drink and eat nachos it defeats the purpose.

Walkerhill
06-25-2020, 06:37 PM
They should just play all the 2020-2021 sports in the winter/spring. Much less risk. Same economic and athletic outcomes.

It will be a disaster if they have to interrupt the season or have partial or conference only schedules.

Much better odds on positive economic and athletic outcomes spring semester.

LC Dawg
06-25-2020, 07:01 PM
I hate wearing masks. Literally hate it. But I wear one because it's the decent thing to do. Swallow your pride, toughen up, quit being rebels, and just wear the damn things. We've grown to accustomed in the South of just doing the opposite of what we're told to because it's just been that way our whole lives. It's ignorant, inconsiderate, and unfair to people with elderly family members that this thing will kill. Wear a damn mask.

It's not just the South. I just got back from a trip to Pennsylvania and stopped in TN, KY, and WV along the way. PA was the only state that seemed to have over 20% wearing masks.

Commercecomet24
06-25-2020, 07:21 PM
It's not just the South. I just got back from a trip to Pennsylvania and stopped in TN, KY, and WV along the way. PA was the only state that seemed to have over 20% wearing masks.

I've been all over Arkansas and Oklahoma the last week and it's the same as Mississippi very few wearing masks.

Mobile Bay
06-25-2020, 07:36 PM
Rip the band aid off. Most people who have died would have been dead in a year anyway. Sorry folks but that is the truth. 47% have been in nursing homes already. They have a life expectancy of 6-18 month under normal circumstances. We cannot destroy this country and cede power to China over this by wrecking our economy.

chef dixon
06-25-2020, 07:50 PM
I'll be shocked if there is college football. There is no possible way it happens if people must be isolated with a positive test or close contact. None.

Dolphus Raymond
06-25-2020, 07:52 PM
Why some resist wearing a mask just blows my mind. I swear I do not get it.

MaroonFlounder
06-25-2020, 08:11 PM
Okay, I'm gonna go ahead and be THAT guy.

Without a vaccine, herd immunity is the only thing that will get us through this.
Enough people get it and get through it, the spread slows to a crawl, and a vaccine eventually hits the market.

Don't wear a mask if you don't want to.

bluelightstar
06-25-2020, 08:39 PM

Without a vaccine, herd immunity is the only thing that will get us through this.
Enough people get it and get through it, the spread slows to a crawl, and a vaccine eventually hits the market.

Umm, we don't even know if COVID-19 antibodies prevent reinfection yet.

Dawgology
06-25-2020, 09:27 PM
Umm, we don't even know if COVID-19 antibodies prevent reinfection yet.

Antibodies will always resist or lessen infection. The question is how long do they last.

Liverpooldawg
06-25-2020, 09:38 PM
Rip the band aid off. Most people who have died would have been dead in a year anyway. Sorry folks but that is the truth. 47% have been in nursing homes already. They have a life expectancy of 6-18 month under normal circumstances. We cannot destroy this country and cede power to China over this by wrecking our economy.

You are ceding power to China by doing what you are doing. It is EXACTLY what they wanted. Otherwise they would have given us the straight information with no deception early on. All you have to do is look at what they told us, vs what they did, and ARE STILL DOING in their own country. YOU are a Chinese agent, whether you believe it or not.

Liverpooldawg
06-25-2020, 09:39 PM

But 50% wouldn't have been. your empathy for others is amazing. ************************************

Liverpooldawg
06-25-2020, 09:41 PM
Antibodies will always resist or lessen infection. The question is how long do they last.

Yep, and we are seeing people who got over confirmed infections with no detectable antibodies already.

Liverpooldawg
06-25-2020, 09:47 PM

It's looking increasingly like the mythical "herd immunity" is a fantasy. The best we can hope for is a vaccine that we have to take with repeated boosters once a year. It's looking like once every two months may be more likely. Most people like you are antivaxx types any way. Once they develop an every two months vaccine, PLEASE don't take it as true to your creed. The Darwin Awards are made for people like you.

Homedawg
06-25-2020, 09:49 PM
I'll be shocked if there is college football. There is no possible way it happens if people must be isolated with a positive test or close contact. None.

There might not be. But if there isn't there won't be any sports this year.20-21. College that is. If we are freaked out now. The freak won't stop by then.

Liverpooldawg
06-25-2020, 09:53 PM
There IS such a thing as natural herd immunity. As mostly people with exposure to European diseases for the last few thousand years we haven't dealt with actually trying to achieve that with a deadly infectious disease with no vaccine. If you want to see what that's like, look at what happened to Native Americans after contact with Europeans. Our closest experience is with Smallpox and Polio. Look those up, THAT is what you idiots want......AT BEST.

Joebob
06-25-2020, 09:53 PM

And besides all that, it's bad for the economy. People forget that the most at risk group, 60+, is also the demographic with the most disposable income. I can assure you we are staying home as much as possible, and will continue to do so as long as so many people refuse to wear a mask. If people want a deeper recession, just continue not wearing a mask.

Dawgology
06-25-2020, 09:54 PM
It's looking increasingly like the mythical "herd immunity" is a fantasy. The best we can hope for is a vaccine that we have to take with repeated boosters once a year. It's looking like once every two months may be more likely. Most people like you are antivaxx types any way. Once they develop anevery two months vaccine, PLEASE don't take it. The Darwin Awards are made for people like you.

You could achieve herd immunity Through vaccine. A vaccine plus masks would pretty much eradicate the virus in about a year.

Liverpooldawg
06-25-2020, 09:55 PM
There might not be. But if there isn't there won't be any sports this year.20-21. College that is. If we are freaked out now. The freak won't stop by then.

Glad to see you beginning to see where we are headed.

Todd4State
06-25-2020, 09:57 PM
If we don't play- its because people are stupid.

Liverpooldawg
06-25-2020, 10:03 PM
You could achieve herd immunity Through vaccine. A vaccine plus masks would pretty much eradicate the virus in about a year.

Absolutely. But people won't do masks because their RIAGHTS are being, in their idiot world, violated. They also are already saying they won't take a vaccine because of absolute black heilocopter LUNACY. There are very good studies that say if we could get 80% mask wearing for something like six months it would be as effective as a universal vaccine. The virus would go away.....but these idiots somehow got in their idiot brains that masks actually spread it. It absolute sheer insanity. If survival of the fittest is true, we here in America are DOOMED.

confucius say
06-25-2020, 10:04 PM
Yep, and we are seeing people who got over confirmed infections with no detectable antibodies already.

Link?

Liverpooldawg
06-25-2020, 10:04 PM
If we don't play- its because people are stupid.

Agree, but probably not for the reason you think.

Liverpooldawg
06-25-2020, 10:06 PM
Link?

Do your own home work. I have no idea where I saw it, but it's no secret. Google it.

MaroonFlounder
06-25-2020, 10:24 PM
There are very good studies that say if we could get 80% mask wearing for something like six months it would be as effective as a universal vaccine.

"Very good studies". LMAO. There's no way to study something like that.

The truth is....there's not THAT much transfer of germs from the mouth unless people are constantly coughing, sneezing or spitting, and in that case, yes, they should wear a mask, or better yet, stay home.

FWIW, I wear a mask at work all day due to my company's decision to follow CDC guidelines.

Liverpooldawg
06-25-2020, 10:28 PM
And besides all that, it's bad for the economy. People forget that the most at risk group, 60+, is also the demographic with the most disposable income. I can assure you we are staying home as much as possible, and will continue to do so as long as so many people refuse to wear a mask. If people want a deeper recession, just continue not wearing a mask.

YEP, and I'm not quiet yet in that group, but I certainly do business with them.

Liverpooldawg
06-25-2020, 10:36 PM
"Very good studies". LMAO. There's no way to study something like that.

The truth is....there's not THAT much transfer of germs from the mouth unless people are constantly coughing, sneezing or spitting, and in that case, yes, they should wear a mask, or better yet, stay home.

FWIW, I wear a mask at work all day due to my company's decision to follow CDC guidelines.

You sir are an ignorant fool. If it only affected you I'd let it go. Darwin and all that. The truth is you are most infectious just before and just after you show symptoms. It's the just before part that is the problem with the vast majority of people that actually care for others. I've been in healthcare long enough to know to KNOW that the just after part doesn't bother a great many. Given what you posted, you are among the latter.

MaroonFlounder
06-25-2020, 10:55 PM
You sir are an ignorant fool. If it only affected you I'd let it go. Darwin and all that. The truth is you are most infectious just before and just after you show symptoms. It's the just before part that is the problem with the vast majority of people that actually care for others. I've been in healthcare long enough to know to KNOW that the just after part doesn't bother a great many. Given what you posted, you are among the latter.

Are you a doctor? A virologist? An epidemiologist? If not, then my beliefs hold just as much weight as yours, Chief.

Cowbell
06-25-2020, 10:58 PM
Are you a doctor? A virologist? An epidemiologist? If not, then my beliefs hold just as much weight as yours, Chief.
Obviously a liver doc....duh

Homedawg
06-25-2020, 11:16 PM
Glad to see you beginning to see where we are headed.

But it's not the correct call.... same shit going to be going on this time next year too.

confucius say
06-25-2020, 11:21 PM
Do your own home work. I have no idea where I saw it, but it's no secret. Google it.

I have. That's why I was wondering where you were getting your info. And don't be a dick.

The bigger point is the one study of 74 people in China (which I suppose is the data you are referencing) admittedly is not determinative of reinfection possibilities. As the cdc has stated, along with every scholarly article I've read, Nobody knows definitively the answer to that issue yet. What we do know is there are no confirmed cases of reinfection 5 months into the virus (South Korean doctors have debunked the theory of the alleged reinfection cases there), which is positive.

coastratdog
06-25-2020, 11:33 PM
So I have to chose between wearing a mask for 5 plus hours straight going to a football game, sucking in my co2, for your health or staying at home watching on TV? That's a no brainer.

Commercecomet24
06-25-2020, 11:51 PM
But it's not the correct call.... same shit going to be going on this time next year too.

This! Dang skippy!

Todd4State
06-26-2020, 12:07 AM

Yep. And grossly hypocritical given that it is Ok to protest. But these experts somehow know that no one contracted COVID from a protest but can determine it came from someone at a bar. Right....

Liverpooldawg
06-26-2020, 12:11 AM

So you just admitted yours are totally invalid! LOL! That being said, I AM in healthcare, and DO have Dr. in front of my name, not that it means much with COVID. I have seen plenty with that designation who are total political idiots on this, and they have MD AFTER their name, which I don't. Make heroes of the nurses, respiratory therapists, and pulmonary docs. Also lionize the janitors and cleaning folks. To evaluate medically published papers, here we go..Nearly all of what has come out up till now is suspect. It's not some conspiracy nonsense, it's the nature of the game. It's a function of time. Medical science on ANYTHING new takes time. THEN you follow the money. Now I also took multiple graduate level courses at MSU in relevant courses. I also have to keep up as it pertains to my field currently. If I don't right now, for the first time since when HIV was new back when I was in school, … I die, so do my employees, clients, and family members. That is motivation beyond what most of you guys are facing, THANK GOD. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I'm tired of it and what we have to do now, and I'm not front line. It absolutely SUCKS I'm beyond happy when the weekend comes, and I've never really been like that before. I can't imagine what the front line people are going through. Watching people die, and telling their loved ones about it, is why I branched of when I did. I couldn't do it. I came close exactly twice in my career so far. One was a person I saw only once. The other was someone I knew, and knew their family. It wasn't my call but I had an idea where it was heading.

Turfdawg67
06-26-2020, 12:13 AM
Again Dr. Agus (look him up if you want) is very connected to top researchers and he believes there is already a vaccine ready and being tested. The vaccine was being developed for something else so it's gone through the human testing phase. Now they've introduced Covid-19 virus to it and that is being tested now. Says the data looks promising. Possibly ready by September. Wearing masks, slowing the spread plus a vaccine and we'll whip this thing. And get to watch the Dawgs score a lot of points this Fall! Come on people... lets at least try and slow down the spreading!

https://davidagus.com/bio/

Turfdawg67
06-26-2020, 12:15 AM
Who said the protests didn't help spread it? Most logical people know that it did. No one "gave permission" for the people to protest except that it's a right to do so.

KentuckyDawg13
06-26-2020, 07:19 AM
Bentonville Arkansas businesses adhere to mask wearing. The surrounding areas (Rogers, etc) do not. It truly depends on each town/people that represent. Since Bentonville is a HUGE touristy place (mtbiking, in case nobody knows...it's amazing there) and also Walmart's corporate HQ, which means execs with education. They are smart enough to know the reality of this pandemic, unlike a LOT of dumbasses here. The ENTIRE COUNTRY is suffering economically from this. The numbers are STILL INCREASING. Where a FREAKING MASK, snowflakes!

Mobile Bay
06-26-2020, 08:16 AM
Wrong

Crashing our economy for something that has proven by the numbers to be nowhere near as bad as the chicken littles like you have predicted is what China dreamed for and got. YOU are the Chinese agent. Sorry it's a tough world out there. People die from different things every day. You cannot function as a society if you crawl in a hole to be afraid of everything.

In the USA there have been 2,410,978 cases and 118,031 deaths. 118031/2410978= 4.9% You don't destroy a country for something with less than a 5% death rate.

KOdawg1
06-26-2020, 08:18 AM
Wrong

Crashing our economy for something that has proven by the numbers to be nowhere near as bad as the chicken littles like you have predicted is what China dreamed for and got. YOU are the Chinese agent. Sorry it's a tough world out there. People die from different things every day. You cannot function as a society if you crawl in a hole to be afraid of everything.

In the USA there have been 2,410,978 cases and 118,031 deaths. 118031/2410978= 4.9% You don't destroy a country for something with less than a 5% death rate.

The actual death rate is well below 4.9%. If the actual death rate were 5%, there would be millions dead, and our country would be destroyed

fader2103
06-26-2020, 08:24 AM
I want to know current numbers. We have COVID-19 total cases, but I bet around 80-90% of those are well again with no symptoms.

Dawgfan77
06-26-2020, 08:24 AM
I think he means infection rate to death. Could be wrong. One stat I wished they would publish is infection/recovered.

Walkerhill
06-26-2020, 08:26 AM
Again Dr. Agus (look him up if you want) is very connected to top researchers and he believes there is already a vaccine ready and being tested. The vaccine was being developed for something else so it's gone through the human testing phase. Now they've introduced Covid-19 virus to it and that is being tested now. Says the data looks promising. Possibly ready by September. Wearing masks, slowing the spread plus a vaccine and we'll whip this thing. And get to watch the Dawgs score a lot of points this Fall! Come on people... lets at least try and slow down the spreading!

https://davidagus.com/bio/

For those interested, here is a vaccine tracker.
https://www.raps.org/news-and-articles/news-articles/2020/3/covid-19-vaccine-tracker

The AZ1222 vaccine from Oxford has entered human trials and may be ready in September. It will be a 2 shot treatment 14 days apart. USA is precontracted to receive 400 Million doses, including approximately 30 million doses in September upon completion of the current phase 2/3 trial.

Assuming you apply the first 30 million doses against the most vulnerable members of society, and then apply the additional doses as they are manufactured with a similar risk-based approach, the AZ 1222 option could effectively control transmission by November. There are 10+ other options in less mature phases of development by 6 months or less.

One way or another, iif all goes well we could control the pandemic as early as Nov/Dec and with a very high likelihood by February/March.

This is why fall sports make no sense. You could likely have crowds back in the spring and very little risk of a stunted or interrupted season.

KOdawg1
06-26-2020, 08:32 AM
I think he means infection rate to death. Could be wrong. One stat I wished they would publish is infection/recovered.

Yes, confirmed cases to deaths is around 5%. But there are thousands upon thousands of unconfirmed cases where people get, tough it out on their own, or don't even know they have it.

TrapGame
06-26-2020, 08:38 AM
The actual death rate is well below 4.9%. If the actual death rate were 5%, there would be millions dead, and our country would be destroyed

I think the actual death rate is less than 0.06%.

bostondawg
06-26-2020, 08:48 AM
Consider this:

If our nation and state had good leadership, and we aggressively tackled this virus from the beginning like New Zealand we did, y'all could already be back on your restaurant patios having brunch and nobody would be questioning football in the fall. The reason this is an issue is because of idiots refusing to wear masks and stop going out. That's it.

Turfdawg67
06-26-2020, 09:09 AM
For those interested, here is a vaccine tracker.
https://www.raps.org/news-and-articles/news-articles/2020/3/covid-19-vaccine-tracker

The AZ1222 vaccine from Oxford has entered human trials and may be ready in September. It will be a 2 shot treatment 14 days apart. USA is precontracted to receive 400 Million doses, including approximately 30 million doses in September upon completion of the current phase 2/3 trial.

Assuming you apply the first 30 million doses against the most vulnerable members of society, and then apply the additional doses as they are manufactured with a similar risk-based approach, the AZ 1222 option could effectively control transmission by November. There are 10+ other options in less mature phases of development by 6 months or less.

One way or another, iif all goes well we could control the pandemic as early as Nov/Dec and with a very high likelihood by February/March.

This is why fall sports make no sense. You could likely have crowds back in the spring and very little risk of a stunted or interrupted season.

Thanks for the details! Sounds promising.

Consider this:

If our nation and state had good leadership, and we aggressively tackled this virus from the beginning like New Zealand we did, y'all could already be back on your restaurant patios having brunch and nobody would be questioning football in the fall. The reason this is an issue is because of idiots refusing to wear masks and stop going out. That's it.

Why stop at New Zealand?

https://i.postimg.cc/KvT50B8P/IMG-0794.jpg

MrCoachKlein
06-26-2020, 09:18 AM

Finally some sense in this. Unless you're wearing a N95 mask your mask isn't doing anything. Especially since most people adjust them, take them off, touch their face under their mask.

Data do not back cloth masks to limit COVID-19, experts say
https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/04/data-do-not-back-cloth-masks-limit-covid-19-experts-say

it's not uncommon to see people wearing surgical masks in public to protect against pathogens and pollution. But those masks don't help much in the context of a virus, Schaffner said. "They're not designed to keep out viral particles, and they're not nearly as tightly fitted around your nose and cheeks" as an N95 respirator, he said.

https://www.livescience.com/face-mask-new-coronavirus.html

In this video, Dr. Knut Wittkowski explains why ?lockdown? and social distancing will likely cause more casualties in the medium to long-term than non-scientific claims of ?lives saved? currently being made by politicians and their allied media. In other words, being ordered by government and mainstream media to stay indoors during the spring may actually be helping the coronavirus survive much longer than it normally would and mutate further or recombine with a flu strain, risking a second more deadlier wave in the coming fall and winter.

https://21stcenturywire.com/2020/04/15/herd-immunity-expert-explains-why-covid-19-lockdown-social-distancing-doesnt-actually-work/

HancockCountyDog
06-26-2020, 09:41 AM
Wrong

Are you serious about not destroying a country for a 5% death rate?

Whatever we are doing as a country isn't working. Spain and Italy seem to have it under control. Why can't we? There is simply no reason other than people refusing to do their part as a result of political ideology that has decimated our country. I haven't seen a single medical professional say wearing a mask is optional.

Between protests, large public gatherings, bars reopening, I don't see how this won't spread very quickly. A few weeks ago, the FloraBama was packed.

I'm not sure why these threads are even started anymore, there are some posters who are like C34 and his Stans rants. No matter what happens no one will utter the words "Its possible I was wrong, and this is a ****ing problem" same way C34 would never utter the words "Stans is a solid coach that always has us on the bubble or in the tourney, the next guy or guys may not be able to do that".

ITs frustrating, but IT is not going away anytime soon unfortunately.

MagicDawg
06-26-2020, 09:48 AM
Yeah, New Zealand, an island with a minimal population and the ability to literally shut the borders completely, which they did and still have. It's a beautiful country. I've performed and lectured there. I have good friends who live there who we stayed with. It's fantastic, but to try to compare it to the United States is absolute nonsense and purely agendized.

The early actions that were taken by the administration in the US were instantly hailed as racist and unhelpful. Also nonsense and purely agendized.

We have seen plenty of variance of local control, governors letting people in, or out, or restricting travel, etc. And taken on the whole, everyone is still dealing with the same issues. Trying to make this virus a "blame Republicans/blame Democrats" thing is EXACTLY what is wrong with this country.

Sorry, but the "coulda shoulda woulda -- let's blame Trump" thing is pure BS. Cuomo could have done more in his state and didn't.

Good grief.

vv83
06-26-2020, 10:01 AM
Consider this:

Jesus christ, this has to be a satire post. An isolation island nation of less than 5 million people... I really want to believe you wrote that ironically, surely nobody can be that dense.

hacker
06-26-2020, 10:05 AM
Yeah, New Zealand, an island with a minimal population and the ability to literally shut the borders completely, which they did and still have. It's a beautiful country. I've performed and lectured there. I have good friends who live there who we stayed with. It's fantastic, but to try to compare it to the United States is absolute nonsense and purely agendized.

The early actions that were taken by the administration in the US were instantly hailed as racist and unhelpful. Also nonsense and purely agendized.

We have seen plenty of variance of local control, governors letting people in, or out, or restricting travel, etc. And taken on the whole, everyone is still dealing with the same issues. Trying to make this virus a "blame Republicans/blame Democrats" thing is EXACTLY what is wrong with this country.

Sorry, but the "coulda shoulda woulda -- let's blame Trump" thing is pure BS. Cuomo could have done more in his state and didn't.

Good grief.

Can we not stop the Mexicans and Canadians from bringing it over the border? Right when we get it under control, a bunch of Canadians show up and bring it back?

No, it's being community spread.

It doesn't matter if NZ is an island. Their government actually did something quickly and decisively. Ours did not. Ours called it a hoax. Ours said it would magically disappear. Today, our government is giving the first press conference in 2 months now that the stock market is being affected again. That is the difference.

There are plenty of other countries that are more populated and with actual land borders that have also done what NZ did and had success. Germany, Italy, Spain, South Korea, etc.

China is observably back to normal. They had a cluster of like 100 infections in Beijing last week and have it under control now.

Trump literally said that he's trying to get us to test less so that there are less cases. Yeah, let's not ever test for cancer either. Problem solved.

Trump is not a god. He is not above criticism, especially on this issue.

BB30
06-26-2020, 10:18 AM
Are you serious about not destroying a country for a 5% death rate?

Whatever we are doing as a country isn't working. Spain and Italy seem to have it under control. Why can't we? There is simply no reason other than people refusing to do their part as a result of political ideology that has decimated our country. I haven't seen a single medical professional say wearing a mask is optional.

Between protests, large public gatherings, bars reopening, I don't see how this won't spread very quickly. A few weeks ago, the FloraBama was packed.

I'm not sure why these threads are even started anymore, there are some posters who are like C34 and his Stans rants. No matter what happens no one will utter the words "Its possible I was wrong, and this is a ****ing problem" same way C34 would never utter the words "Stans is a solid coach that always has us on the bubble or in the tourney, the next guy or guys may not be able to do that".

ITs frustrating, but IT is not going away anytime soon unfortunately.

I don't know maybe because we have 300+ million people to Italy's 60 million. I'm sure it spread through their entire country pretty quickly.

New Zeland-- Population of 4.8 million

Spain population--46 million

You could combine those three countries and not even reach half of our population. It's a really dumb argument when people try and compare the US in anything to small European Countries. Smaller countries are much much easier to manage.

Mobile Bay
06-26-2020, 10:28 AM

Correct. My calculations only cover the known infections to deaths. There are likely millions more out there who have had this and never were tested and have recovered or never were sick at all.

MagicDawg
06-26-2020, 03:15 PM
Trump is not a god and nobody said he was. I certainly don't think so.

That DJT isn't a god doesn't mean that either constant kneejerk criticism OR defense of him is reasonable, or that the misrepresentation of the facts is acceptable (he said the hype was a hoax), or that comparing the overall bulk of United States to places like New Zealand or Spain or Italy makes sense in a global perspective. A coast to coast country that takes up a massive part of a massive continent and is one of the primary engines of the world economy is not the same as a tiny island nation that happens to be run by someone many people on the left admire because her politics are different from Trump's.

We could not have done what New Zealand did on the massive scale they did it and have still done it. When the President took the first step down that road, he was instantly berated as overreacting and as a racist. The criticism was already in place for ANYTHING he decided to do, and we all know it.

FWIW, I hope the flag gets changed today. I have supported the change for some time now.

Have a great weekend.

dantheman4248
06-26-2020, 03:40 PM
I don't know maybe because we have 300+ million people to Italy's 60 million. I'm sure it spread through their entire country pretty quickly.

New Zeland-- Population of 4.8 million

Spain population--46 million

You could combine those three countries and not even reach half of our population. It's a really dumb argument when people try and compare the US in anything to small European Countries. Smaller countries are much much easier to manage.

Why is Italy kicking Texas and Florida's ass?

Smaller states are much easier to manage than countries.

dantheman4248
06-26-2020, 03:44 PM
Trump is not a god and nobody said he was. I certainly don't think so.

That DJT isn't a god doesn't mean that either constant kneejerk criticism OR defense of him is reasonable, or that the misrepresentation of the facts is acceptable (he said the hype was a hoax), or that comparing the overall bulk of United States to places like New Zealand or Spain or Italy makes sense in a global perspective. A coast to coast country that takes up a massive part of a massive continent and is one of the primary engines of the world economy is not the same as a tiny island nation that happens to be run by someone many people on the left admire because her politics are different from Trump's.

We could not have done what New Zealand did on the massive scale they did it and have still done it. When the President took the first step down that road, he was instantly berated as overreacting and as a racist. The criticism was already in place for ANYTHING he decided to do, and we all know it.

FWIW, I hope the flag gets changed today. I have supported the change for some time now.

Have a great weekend.

The only thing that was said was Biden had a rally saying trump = xenophobe in general. The talking point is that he said it in response to the minimalistic china ban. He didn't and has said as much since then.

It's interesting you claim that trump gets misrepresented and criticized and use your example as a misrepresentation of valid criticism.

The man said he was slowing testing down, got trolled by south koreans and teenagers, and has already effectively attacked texas by closing down 7 testing facilities as the keep spiking. That's just this past week.

Really Clark?
06-26-2020, 05:09 PM
Why is Italy kicking Texas and Florida's ass?

Smaller states are much easier to manage than countries.

What? Italy 60 Mil population, 240,000 infected over 34,000 deaths...Texas is half the population and the numbers are running about half...except with only 2,300 deaths. Italy is no where close to kicking Texas butt. Same for Spain concerning the number of deaths.

Commercecomet24
06-26-2020, 05:42 PM
What? Italy 60 Mil population, 240,000 infected over 34,000 deaths...Texas is half the population and the numbers are running about half...except with only 2,300 deaths. Italy is no where close to kicking Texas butt. Same for Spain concerning the number of deaths.

This!

Dawgology
06-26-2020, 05:54 PM

He’s just repeating what he’s been told by the news sources and people he listens to.

dantheman4248
06-26-2020, 06:42 PM
Current active cases:

Italy ~ 17k

Texsa ~ 63k

Florida ~ 97k

Again why is Italy kicking their ass currently.

Florida and Texas are both going through their spikes. Italy already has gone through theirs. Comparing the current death count is disingenuous. Based on worldwide trends we're about to see a spike of Houston deaths.

There's zero reason to pat ourselves on the backs. We've let this thing explode worse than we've had before.

Really Clark?
06-26-2020, 07:04 PM
Current active cases:

Italy ~ 17k

Texsa ~ 63k

Florida ~ 97k

Again why is Italy kicking their ass currently.

Florida and Texas are both going through their spikes. Italy already has gone through theirs. Comparing the current death count is disingenuous. Based on worldwide trends we're about to see a spike of Houston deaths.

There's zero reason to pat ourselves on the backs. We've let this thing explode worse than we've had before.

Death numbers are disingenuous? Sorry but that’s a skewed perspective, numerically and morally. For Texas to reach Italy’s death numbers, going by the percentages so far, they will have to have 2,000,000 cases (132,000 so far), 8 times that of Italy. You are way way off.
It’s like saying how competitive your team played matching the opponent in total yards but lost by 50 points. You got your butt kicked in the game, no matter that the total yards were similar.

Commercecomet24
06-26-2020, 08:15 PM
Death numbers are disingenuous? Sorry but that’s a skewed perspective, numerically and morally. For Texas to reach Italy’s death numbers, going by the percentages so far, they will have to have 2,000,000 cases (132,000 so far), 8 times that of Italy. You are way way off.
It’s like saying how competitive your team played matching the opponent in total yards but lost by 50 points. You got your butt kicked in the game, no matter that the total yards were similar.

Apparently facts don't count.

dantheman4248
06-27-2020, 12:42 PM

You can't count the active cases as part of the death %. You don't know their outcome. You have to count the death / recovered. Otherwise, yes, you are being disingenuous with the deaths.

@ CC24, just because something is a "fact" does not mean it is a good metric. It's a fact that Richard Petty has the most wins in NASCAR. That is a fact. However it is disingenuous to use that as a fact to back up an opinion without qualifying it for good measure. David Pearson races at the same time and had a higher win %. So David Pearson is better, right? Well he skipped races that he wasn't as good at so that's not fair either. So who is the best racer of all time?

Anyways back to the main point. Italy's Death / Recovered is high at 18%. It also should be noted that their spike cane when testing was harder to come by. So they missed a lot of the asymptomatic cases we are seeing elsewhere. Texas is sitting at 3% currently. So it's not really 8 but it's more like 6X. Florida on the other hand is sitting at 13%. Not a great look though to be fair I'm not certain how accurate the recovered count is. But anyways, take the two of them together and you have about 6k deaths vs. 100k recovered. So we'll call it about 6%.

Italy population is 60 mil and texas + florida is documented as a combined 50ish mil (likely higher due to illegal immigrants being prominent in those states.)

So at that pace they'd need to reach a combined case count of 3 times Italy to have more total deaths. So Texas + Florida having to have 750k cases when they are now trending up at 275k combined. That is concerning and I don't want to revisit those numbers in two weeks. It's also scary to think how it plays out with a city reaching ICU capacity.

To conclude, I hope I'm wrong for sure. But it's been pretty easy to see the reality of the situation for what it is for a long long time. People want to believe America is kick ass but we aren't and we have fallen flat on our face on this like a neutral observer could have easily expected.

But if you disagree with my stats and methodology then you are agreeing that death numbers are disingenuous and that some facts shouldn't count on their own standing. So I hope I've at least made that point.