PDA

View Full Version : Blaze Jordan signs with the Red Sox...

maroonmania
06-24-2020, 03:11 PM
for 1.75 million as a 3rd round pick. More than a million dollars over his slot value. Oh well, at least he got his money. I really hate losing guys over amounts that aren't worth bypassing school for.

Todd4State
06-24-2020, 03:14 PM
He probably would have made more had he gone to school. See Foscue. At least a commitment to MSU means that MLB has to pay over slot to get you.

ShotgunDawg
06-24-2020, 03:19 PM
1.7 is good for him. Not sure it's good for the Red Sox but it's hard to blame a kid for not turning that down.

IngomarDawg
06-24-2020, 03:32 PM
Do we have updates on any of the other kids drafted? Specifically JT?

Turfdawg67
06-24-2020, 03:35 PM
Good for him!

maroonmania
06-24-2020, 03:41 PM

Per Joel Coleman's site, only Foscue and Jordan have come to terms with their prospective clubs.

ZedFedder
06-24-2020, 04:05 PM
I think it would be a shock if any of the ones drafted came back.

Todd4State
06-24-2020, 04:05 PM
1.7 is good for him. Not sure it's good for the Red Sox but it's hard to blame a kid for not turning that down.

At this stage of his career and where he is at now- I agree. I think the Red Sox overpaid for where is at now in his development IMO.

ShotgunDawg
06-24-2020, 04:18 PM
At this stage of his career and where he is at now- I agree. I think the Red Sox overpaid for where is at now in his development IMO.

I would agree. He was worth more in the $900K-1.3 mil range

basedog
06-24-2020, 04:21 PM

I have seen him play several times......seems most are over paid. Can't blame him, but college ball would have told the story, his deal was a no brainer in my opinion, took the gamble out of the equation.

Todd4State
06-24-2020, 04:36 PM
I have seen him play several times......seems most are over paid. Can't blame him, but college ball would have told the story, his deal was a no brainer in my opinion, took the gamble out of the equation.

The thing about is his power isn't really going to go away and as a position player injury risks are a lot lower. If he didn't develop at all at MSU and becomes Jeff Flagg 2.0 he would probably get something comparable to what he got. If he developed at a typical rate as most college players do he could get 1.3 million more or higher. There is some risk, but I think it would be fairly low.

Most of the risk with players is pitchers because they are more prone to injury but even that is starting to change some now that surgeries are becoming more advanced and the rehab process is evolving in a positive direction.

I think we'll get a good comp potentially when Kellum Clark goes pro in a couple of years.

Leeshouldveflanked
06-24-2020, 09:10 PM
He can knock the hell out of an 82 mph HS fastball...but he is an average/below average HS fielder with average HS arm..,,, will look like Barry Bonds in BP...

Homedawg
06-24-2020, 09:28 PM

Jt got a solid deal. North of his first round slot two years ago.

Todd4State
06-24-2020, 09:30 PM
Jt got a solid deal. North of his first round slot two years ago.

Awesome! That means he made a good choice.

Homedawg
06-24-2020, 09:34 PM
He can knock the hell out of an 82 mph HS fastball...but he is an average/below average HS fielder with average HS arm..,,, will look like Barry Bonds in BP...

He didn't get paid to field. He got paid to hit bombs. Now maybe he won't pan out. But his power tool is way above avg. way above. Now can he get the hit part to avg. who knows. And I mean the above rankings are based on pro scale not hs or college. Hunter renfroe was behind him at the same time. Way behind.

TNDawg35
06-24-2020, 09:34 PM

Exactly, very few minor league pitchers he is gonna face throws 82. I think the Red Sox overpaid thinking just maybe he could eventually turn into something besides the power. We shall see...

Homedawg
06-24-2020, 09:35 PM
Awesome! That means he made a good choice.

Yes. Just hate we didn't get him for two years. But, we didn't hurt him for sure.

basedog
06-24-2020, 10:05 PM
He didn't get paid to field. He got paid to hit bombs. Now maybe he won't pan out. But his power tool is way above avg. way above. Now can he get the hit part to avg. who knows. And I mean the above rankings are based on pro scale not hs or college. Hunter renfroe was behind him at the same time. Way behind.

Big difference, Renfroe is/was way more athletic. I wish Blaze all the best!

Dawgcap
06-24-2020, 10:36 PM
Go Pro and several now bring up their perceived faults of him. I?m happy a young man gets the opportunity. He has options now if the pro game doesn?t work out. He is 17 with a potential to make a living most could only dream about. You don?t gamble on going to college with this money. And as great as we are in baseball he is still being coached by the team that drafted him

Homedawg
06-24-2020, 10:38 PM
Big difference, Renfroe is/was way more athletic. I wish Blaze all the best!

Nope not really. Renfroe has a job because he hits bombs. He k's a ton. Blaze can too. But if he hit bombs like hunter does he will have a job. Renfroe got drafted higher Bc of his arm and athleticism, but that's not why he still is in the bigs. Don't confuse the two.
ETA-.and to my original point, I said at the same time, meaning in high school Blaze is ahead of hunter at same time. And it's not close really.

DLGDawg
06-24-2020, 10:50 PM
Based on what I have heard, the scouts know that Blaze has struggled with other pitches besides the fastball. But Blaze is young(graduated early etc) and the think tank is that he can be molded and taught how to adjust and hit the off speed stuff. The raw power that he possesses is rare at his age.

I guess the Red Sox see the potential enough for 1.75 mill.

AmiteDog
06-25-2020, 10:02 AM
Go Pro and several now bring up their perceived faults of him. I?m happy a young man gets the opportunity. He has options now if the pro game doesn?t work out. He is 17 with a potential to make a living most could only dream about. You don?t gamble on going to college with this money. And as great as we are in baseball he is still being coached by the team that drafted him

Exactly. With the cost of college these days I wouldn?t think twice about it. Who knows what could happen to him in 3 years. He could be a stud or a dud. There?s no guarantee. He is a 17 year old with 1.75 mill presented to him. With the 11.7, 3 years of school is guaranteed to put him 50-100k in debt. And what if he happened to slip? A 20-30th round signing bonus is never going to be able to recoup that.

TStationDawg
06-25-2020, 10:04 AM
As the father of a 14 yr old player, Blaze is followed by EVERY kid at EVERY tourney. He's like a travel ball Babe Ruth legend! He's already done the MS brand a ton of good! I'm happy the kid gets to start on his dream ASAP with a $1.75 cushion to fall back on. By all accounts, he has family that knows how to manage that money. I would have loved to see him at State, but would never point out shortcomiings or fault a kid just because we weren't fortunate enough to get him for 2 years! Godspeed Blaze! Learn to hit the curve and become great dude!!! And come back and watch the dawgs when you can, when all this craziness is over!