PDA

View Full Version : UM Tampering again?

FISHDAWG
06-24-2020, 11:14 AM
The new DC contacted this guy per the article ... does that constitute tampering or is it considered legal ?

https://www.redcuprebellion.com/2020/6/23/21301237/ole-miss-football-recruiting-2020-navy-midshipmen-jacob-springer-transfer-linebacker-safety

Lord McBuckethead
06-24-2020, 11:25 AM
No idea. It's free agency now. So who knows.

RiverCityDawg
06-24-2020, 11:29 AM
The new DC contacted this guy per the article ... does that constitute tampering or is it considered legal ?

https://www.redcuprebellion.com/2020/6/23/21301237/ole-miss-football-recruiting-2020-navy-midshipmen-jacob-springer-transfer-linebacker-safety

They just can't contact them before they are in the transfer portal. Once they're in the portal they can be contacted and that's the whole purpose of the portal.

FISHDAWG
06-24-2020, 11:30 AM
No idea. It's free agency now. So who knows.

article doesn't say if the player was in the portal or not ... doesn't sound like he was but you're right about college Free Agency these days

msstate7
06-24-2020, 11:32 AM
Nothing will be done either way. Looks like a good pickup for OM

Johnson85
06-24-2020, 11:38 AM
Man, two years through the naval academy and now transferring to presumably get a degree from Ole Miss.

That's a pretty brutal step down. I know the degree from the naval academy comes with a service commitment (not sure what happens to his commitment after tranferring? Do people that transfer out just have to pay tuition for while they were there, which maybe is considered already paid for by a football scholarship for him?), but that's a degree that will carry weight for life.

ETA: googled and apparently you don't incur a service obligation until you start your third year, but maybe have to pay back some incidental costs that were paid for you.

msstate7
06-24-2020, 11:39 AM
Man, two years through the naval academy and now transferring to presumably get a degree from Ole Miss.

That's a pretty brutal step down. I know the degree from the naval academy comes with a service commitment (not sure what happens to his commitment after tranferring? Do people that transfer out just have to pay tuition for while they were there, which maybe is considered already paid for by a football scholarship for him?), but that's a degree that will carry weight for life.

That was my thought too. If he were my son, I'd be trying to talk him out of this

FISHDAWG
06-24-2020, 11:41 AM

totally agree ... the degree is for a lifetime ... just doesn't make sense to me to trade that for a few years of football ... and it's not an easy thing to get into the service academies

StateDawg44
06-24-2020, 12:32 PM

ETA: googled and apparently you don't incur a service obligation until you start your third year, but maybe have to pay back some incidental costs that were paid for you.

He clearly says he is coming to play in the SEC and sell off his talent. Even if it is to an awful team in the SEC.

I'm sure he doesn't give a damn about trying to secure an OM degree. It's a business decision.

gtowndawg
06-24-2020, 12:49 PM

My neighbor is a Naval Academy grad. The player will absolutely owe 100% of everything for the 2 years he was there and it will be expensive.

ShotgunDawg
06-24-2020, 01:05 PM
I get it.

Once you become a JR in the Navy, you're committed to the 4 years or service afterwards.

By doing this, he doesn't have to do that

Johnson85
06-24-2020, 01:30 PM
He clearly says he is coming to play in the SEC and sell off his talent. Even if it is to an awful team in the SEC.

I'm sure he doesn't give a damn about trying to secure an OM degree. It's a business decision.

I wasn't meaning to say he was transferring for the purpose of getting a UM degree. I meant he will presumably graduate from there since he was a good enough student to get into the naval academy and it seems unlikely that he could say, go use his last two years of eligiblity at UM and then transfer as a fifth year senior to a better school to get his actual degree from.

Liverpooldawg
06-24-2020, 01:32 PM
A Naval Academy degree is near Ivy League status. That is a stupid decision unless he is sure fire NFL.

FISHDAWG
06-24-2020, 01:38 PM
A Naval Academy degree is near Ivy League status. That is a stupid decision unless he is sure fire NFL.

I assumed that's why he is transferring ... who trades a degree from Annapolis for one in Oxford ??? He must think he has a shot at the NFL is the only thing that makes sense

TrapGame
06-24-2020, 01:53 PM
I assumed that's why he is transferring ... who trades a degree from Annapolis for one in Oxford ??? He must think he has a shot at the NFL is the only thing that makes sense

Somebody has told him he's NFL material. That's the only thing that makes sense out of this.

Offshore Dawg
06-24-2020, 02:42 PM
A person needs to be of high character to get into any of the service academy's. To get into ole miss I would think just being a character would be enough. That is a big drop in quality of education.

Johnson85
06-24-2020, 02:43 PM
Somebody has told him he's NFL material. That's the only thing that makes sense out of this.

I mean, avoiding a 5 year commitment to active service after graduation is a huge deal. I can see why somebody would be willing to downgrade their degree in order to avoid that. I wouldn't have been wiling to do that when I was 20. But with the benefit of hindsight, it's a lot easier to see that it's a good tradeoff.

ETA: had wrong pay numbers. Looks like it's more like $55k, not 70's. Still not horrible but not that great for somebody graduating from one of the most prestigious universities out there.

viverlibre
06-24-2020, 02:49 PM
Didn't we have a LB in the early 90s who did a couple of years at the USAFA and transferred to MSU?