PDA

View Full Version : Shame On Tyler Horka & MacKenzie Salmon for Painting Inaccurate Picture of MSU Fans

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2020, 11:15 AM
This is shameful & nothing more two young reporters attempting to pander to the liberal meeting in an effort to advance their own careers.

MSU has welcomed these people yet they choose to paint an inaccurate picture about what is going on. I'm sure there are MSU fans that are against what Kylin is doing &/or don't want to change the flag, but they are the overwhelming minority.

Shame on these two.

MacKenzie tweeted something similar to Tyler but looks to have deleted it.

Props to Brandon Walker

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2020, 11:19 AM
Horka is an idiot.....

3rdGen
06-23-2020, 11:23 AM
Sic em’ Brandon! I agree with him. You can’t broad paint everything like everybody loves to do. Ignorant and irresponsible... especially if your claiming to be a media personality with a legitimate career.

SouthMSDog
06-23-2020, 11:27 AM
Someone with his contact info needs to email Horka in support of Kylin and see if he actually bothers to share it.

Quaoarsking
06-23-2020, 11:28 AM
Overwhelming?

Dawg2003
06-23-2020, 11:31 AM
Brandon Walker is absolutely correct in this instance. Social media discourse probably is dysfunctional, but Horka is actually stirring stuff up on purpose and making the discourse unhealthy as well. He's part of the unhealthy discourse, and he's even worse because he's doing it for clicks and likes. Not to affect change.

Cowbell
06-23-2020, 11:33 AM
The fact that a fan took the time to email Horka of all people tells you all you need to know. Black bear fan at best....

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2020, 11:40 AM
Overwhelming?

It is pretty overwhelming. 247 has a poll going right now & it's 70/30 ish in support of Kylin.

That's pretty overwhelming with over 130 votes.

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2020, 11:42 AM
Brandon Walker is absolutely correct in this instance. Social media discourse probably is dysfunctional, but Horka is actually stirring stuff up on purpose and making the discourse unhealthy as well. He's part of the unhealthy discourse, and he's even worse because he's doing it for clicks and likes. Not to affect change.

He's doing it in hopes of his tweet being retweeted by a big account that wants to paint the liberal narrative

It's easy to see right & wrong in this situation. Right = changing the flag & supporting Kylin. Wrong - Spreading a narrative that Mississippi & MSU are racist.

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2020, 11:43 AM
Horka is changing his tune now that Brandon Walker got after his ass

Turfdawg67
06-23-2020, 11:43 AM
It is pretty overwhelming. 247 has a poll going right now & it's 70/30 ish in support of Kylin.

Read your other thread named Kylin Hill and tell us again how overwhelming the support is.

Quaoarsking
06-23-2020, 11:47 AM

Yeah, but I don't know that message boards really represent the entire fanbase. We skew very young and educated. For example, it's probably 95-5 or more to change the flag across the MSU message boards, but if it were that % across the MSU fanbase as a whole, it would have been changed by now, just from politicians fearing for their political careers.

I'm no superfan of Horka, but I don't really see the problem with him pointing out that there is an element of our fanbase that doesn't support Kylin. It's not really his job to bury the truth.

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2020, 11:49 AM
Read your other thread named Kylin Hill and tell us again how overwhelming the support is.

I think overall it's pretty overwhelming.

There is a loud minority & there opinions are understandable, but I think overall it's about 70/30 MSU fans are in support of Kylin.

The 247 should be a good sample. My guess is that it'll get at least 300 votes & that should be fairly statistically significant. It's not like 247 subscribers are biased one way or another more than the average MSU fan. At least not that I can think of

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2020, 11:50 AM
Yeah, but I don't know that message boards really represent the entire fanbase. We skew very young and educated.

I'm no superfan of Horka, but I don't really see the problem with him pointing out that there is an element of our fanbase that doesn't support Kylin. It's not really his job to bury the truth.

It was the lack of balance that was the problem. Don't just post something bad & not post anything positive. That's an effort to paint a narrative

I think ED is mostly young & educated but that Genespage crew has a lot of old crusty asses. If anything, I could see Genespage skewing more towards people that disagree with Kylin than the average MSU fan

Quaoarsking
06-23-2020, 11:54 AM
I think overall it's pretty overwhelming.

There is a loud minority & there opinions are understandable, but I think overall it's about 70/30 MSU fans are in support of Kylin.

The 247 should be a good sample. My guess is that it'll get at least 300 votes & that should be fairly statistically significant. It's not like 247 subscribers are biased one way or another more than the average MSU fan. At least not that I can think of

That's not statistically significant at all unless the 300 votes are a random sample of the MSU fanbase, which it almost certainly is not.

The message board crowd is much younger than the MSU fanbase average, more educated, and almost entirely male. I would suspect it's also whiter, financially better off, and not distributed the same way geographically.

I hope that our fanbase is 70/30 in support of Kylin. I hope that it's 100/0 really. But I don't think a single poll on 247 tells us anything.

ShotgunDawg

ShotgunDawg
That's not statistically significant at all unless the 300 votes are a random sample of the MSU fanbase, which it almost certainly is not.

The message board crowd is much younger than the MSU fanbase average, more educated, and almost entirely male. I would suspect it's also whiter, financially better off, and not distributed the same way geographically.

The Genespage crew is younger? LOL, have you read that board often?

Jacksondevildog
06-23-2020, 11:58 AM
Horka is just trying to be as "woke" as possible to try and move to a bigger paper/website. The Clarion Ledger hires these young liberal reporters from anywhere but the south and they try to hot-take themselves out of here. I'm not saying Horka's stance on the flag is incorrect, but his approach was misguided. Typical from the Clarion Ledger and thats probably why I can buy a lifetime subscription to it for a couple of bucks.

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2020, 12:00 PM
Horka is just trying to be as "woke" as possible to try and move to a bigger paper/website. The Clarion Ledger hires these young liberal reporters from anywhere but the south and they try to hot-take themselves out of here. I'm not saying Horka's stance on the flag is incorrect, but his approach was misguided. Typical from the Clarion Ledger and thats probably why I can buy a lifetime subscription to it for a couple of bucks.

Agree. A big problem that the Clarion Ledger has is that these young reporters are in & out of Mississippi so fast that they can't become experts on MSU, OM, etc.

That's the main reason that the fan sites have become so popular is that those people stay, develop sources, & become experts on the issues.

Quaoarsking
06-23-2020, 12:02 PM
Maybe we should be mad at our "fans" who don't support Kylin instead of a reporter who told us that they exist.

Quaoarsking
06-23-2020, 12:05 PM

He shouldn't censor that. We need to know stuff about that about our own fanbase, and hopefully convince that 30% (optimistic estimate there) that they need to support Kylin.

Commercecomet24
06-23-2020, 12:11 PM
Thank you, Brandon Walker!

He's right there's no dialogue in this country right now, only monologue and the media is controlling it.

ScoobaDawg
06-23-2020, 12:11 PM
This is shameful & nothing more two young reporters attempting to pander to the liberal meeting in an effort to advance their own careers.

MSU has welcomed these people yet they choose to paint an inaccurate picture about what is going on. I'm sure there are MSU fans that are against what Kylin is doing &/or don't want to change the flag, but they are the overwhelming minority.

Shame on these two.

Props to Brandon Walker

Are you sure the negative voice in the minority. Go look at all the plain DISGUSTING responses to Kylin on twitter. the responses to the articles on 24/7. Every time before it's deleted in the Hail State group it has grown toxic.

The worst in our fan base are screamingly loudly.

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2020, 12:12 PM
Are you sure the negative voice in the minority. Go look at all the plain DISGUSTING responses to Kylin on twitter. the responses to the articles on 24/7. Every time before it's deleted in the Hail State group it has grown toxic.

The worst in our fan base are screamingly loudly.

The negative side is very loud, but I think there is fairly overwhelming support in some fashion.

msbulldog
06-23-2020, 12:16 PM
Someone with his contact info needs to email Horka in support of Kylin and see if he actually bothers to share it.

thorka@gannett.com. Follow @tbhorka on Twitter.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-23-2020, 12:17 PM
The negative side is very loud, but I think there is fairly overwhelming support in some fashion.

I wouldn't say overwhelming support at all.

BeardoMSU
06-23-2020, 12:17 PM

He shouldn't censor that. We need to know stuff about that about our own fanbase, and hopefully convince that 30% (optimistic estimate there) that they need to support Kylin.

This. Sunlight is the best remedy.

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2020, 12:19 PM
I wouldn't say overwhelming support at all.

What's your definition of "overwhelming"?

Commercecomet24
06-23-2020, 12:19 PM

I have a ton of State friends. We've talked about this and I've only found one that doesn't support the flag change. Now I know they're out there but Imo the vast majority support Kylin. Fwiw which ain't much.

msbulldog
06-23-2020, 12:22 PM
It was the lack of balance that was the problem. Don't just post something bad & not post anything positive. That's an effort to paint a narrative

I think ED is mostly young & educated but that Genespage crew has a lot of old crusty asses. If anything, I could see Genespage skewing more towards people that disagree with Kylin than the average MSU fan

I'm old and crusty on both and think the flag needs to go away.

Commercecomet24
06-23-2020, 12:24 PM

Lol me too!

FISHDAWG
06-23-2020, 12:26 PM
sweet baby Jesus ... please send us some sports before everyone implodes on each other

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2020, 12:30 PM

That's my point. The fact that the Genespage poll is 70/30 in support of Kylin with all those old crusty asses on there, says a lot

Commercecomet24
06-23-2020, 12:30 PM
sweet baby Jesus ... please send us some sports before everyone implodes on each other

I'm with ya man! It's gotten insane!

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2020, 12:36 PM
I'm with ya man! It's gotten insane!

it all goes away in about 6 months by just changing the flag.

Sure, if we change the flag there will be protest by hate groups for about 6 months & then everyone will just accept it

msstatelp1
06-23-2020, 12:47 PM

Taking the opinions from his FB is a big part.of the problem.

Todd4State
06-23-2020, 12:50 PM
Horka is changing his tune now that Brandon Walker got after his ass

Horka is a dweeb.

Bothrops
06-23-2020, 12:54 PM
People all over are salty in general right now, and anything can trip them into taking a giant shit out of someone. Folks need to find some sort of escape, even if only temporary. I recommend helping someone in need.

I'd love to see Kylin running out on the field with a new state of MS flag. That is a cool vision.

maroonmania
06-23-2020, 01:02 PM
Yeah, but I don't know that message boards really represent the entire fanbase. We skew very young and educated. For example, it's probably 95-5 or more to change the flag across the MSU message boards, but if it were that % across the MSU fanbase as a whole, it would have been changed by now, just from politicians fearing for their political careers.

I find it hard to believe though even with just the 247 sample there are more in favor of Kylin yet Horka basically claims he has not gotten ONE positive email. Again, better for him to keep this thing 'unhealthy'.

Dolphus Raymond
06-23-2020, 01:06 PM
Is Kylin Hill now labeled as a Bolshevik by this message board?s Nazi in residence?

Ari Gold
06-23-2020, 01:09 PM
Mac Solomon has time To tweet now since she has moved away... before she left she was too busy sitting court-side at the Pavilion and messaging with Craddock ...

confucius say
06-23-2020, 01:10 PM
This. Sunlight is the best remedy.

The issue is not suppressing one side. The issue is providing exposure to both sides. Tyler admitted he was not tweeting out the supportive of kylin side and stated he felt people had access to that side elsewhere. He has since said he sees how that comes across and tweeted out screenshots of people supporting kylin.

confucius say
06-23-2020, 01:14 PM
I find it hard to believe though even with just the 247 sample there are more in favor of Kylin yet Horka basically claims he has not gotten ONE positive email. Again, better for him to keep this thing 'unhealthy'.

Not sure about email but he for sure has gotten positive tweets bc I sent him one saying most of us support Kylins view of the flag and want it changed

bulldawg28
06-23-2020, 01:18 PM
Maybe we should be mad at our "fans" who don't support Kylin instead of a reporter who told us that they exist.

This

SouthMSDog
06-23-2020, 01:47 PM
The message board crowd is much younger than the MSU fanbase average....

This, when speaking about Genespage, lets me know that you just make stuff up. Maybe you meant the aggregate of all MSU boards? But the poll is on Genespage and you have to be a subscriber to vote on it.

fader2103
06-23-2020, 02:13 PM
it all goes away in about 6 months by just changing the flag.

Sure, if we change the flag there will be protest by hate groups for about 6 months & then everyone will just accept it

I don't see it going away. The flag will be changed at some point, then they will find something else to protest about. It is a canceled culture.

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2020, 02:14 PM
Mac Solomon has time To tweet now since she has moved away... before she left she was too busy sitting court-side at the Pavilion and messaging with Craddock ...

What was she messaging with Craddock about?

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2020, 02:15 PM
I don't see it going away. The flag will be changed at some point, then they will find something else to protest about. It is a canceled culture.

The flag isn't a part of cancel culture.

For each individual situation, you have to decide what's right and what's wrong. I think removing the flag is the right thing to do. Will the next thing be? IDK

Quaoarsking
06-23-2020, 02:22 PM
This, when speaking about Genespage, lets me know that you just make stuff up. Maybe you meant the aggregate of all MSU boards? But the poll is on Genespage and you have to be a subscriber to vote on it.

"The message board crowd" as in all MSU message boards. None of them very representative of the MSU fanbase as a whole across a lot of demographics. This was in response to SD saying a message board poll was a statistically significant measure of the fanbase.

BB30
06-23-2020, 02:27 PM
"The message board crowd" as in all MSU message boards. None of them very representative of the MSU fanbase as a whole across a lot of demographics. This was in response to SD saying a message board poll was a statistically significant measure of the fanbase.

Actually in that case it would be going against your argument as it is typically the older generations that like to hold onto things. If it is 70/30 on Genespage then I would be willing to make an educated guess that it is probably closer to 80/20 or 90/10 in support of Kylin since genespage wouldn't be taking into consideration younger people who are generally more open minded and then the african american portion of our fanbase who I would assume would back Kylin.

fader2103
06-23-2020, 02:31 PM
The flag isn't a part of cancel culture.

For each individual situation, you have to decide what's right and what's wrong. I think removing the flag is the right thing to do. Will the next thing be? IDK

I agree with changing the flag, but don't agree with knocking down statues or defacing them. I also see that people will turn to other state flags and eventually the American flag.

ShotgunDawg
06-23-2020, 02:36 PM
I agree with changing the flag, but don't agree with knocking down statues or defacing them. I also see that people will turn to other state flags and eventually the American flag.

Again, in each individual situation, you have to decide what you believe is right or wrong.

Choosing to do something wrong, due to fear of what may come next, is wrong

Quaoarsking
06-23-2020, 02:44 PM
Actually in that case it would be going against your argument as it is typically the older generations that like to hold onto things. If it is 70/30 on Genespage then I would be willing to make an educated guess that it is probably closer to 80/20 or 90/10 in support of Kylin since genespage wouldn't be taking into consideration younger people who are generally more open minded and then the african american portion of our fanbase who I would assume would back Kylin.

All I'm saying is that message board polls don't give a statistically significant view of our fanbase, for a variety of reasons, one of which is age.

I hope that it is 70-30 (or 100-0 really) in favor of Kylin.

Joebob
06-23-2020, 03:05 PM
Don't underestimate how many of us older guys on on this board too. I know there's quite a few. I don't know how they feel about the flag issue, but I thought it was embarrassing 30 or 40 years ago. The legislature needs to show some guts and leadership and just change the damn thing. What the hell are they waiting on?

bulldawg28
06-23-2020, 03:11 PM
Again, in each individual situation, you have to decide what you believe is right or wrong.

Choosing to do something wrong, due to fear of what may come next, is wrong

10000% Truth. This also is the problem with the majority of resistance to inevitable change happening now in society.

Dawgcap
06-23-2020, 06:24 PM
Don't underestimate how many of us older guys on on this board too. I know there's quite a few. I don't know how they feel about the flag issue, but I thought it was embarrassing 30 or 40 years ago. The legislature needs to show some guts and leadership and just change the damn thing. What the hell are they waiting on?
I?m 56 and feel the same way. This an embarrassment to the state because we will be shown to the country as only changing under pressure. This state has its pockets of racism from both sides but the majority work together to make things good. I travel 14-15 counties every week in North Ms and the Delta and I wouldn?t want to be anywhere else. The problem is this flag has hurt in getting some areas industry because of the backlash possible business and industry would feel coming to Mississippi.
Lastly it?s a shame that we have a large percentage of our population living in a state with a flag that was meant to show them anything but respect

R2Dawg
06-23-2020, 07:00 PM

Shame on these two.

Props to Brandon Walker

More trash from media, shocking.

R2Dawg
06-23-2020, 07:07 PM

People everywhere have a hard time dividing the multiple issues here. Two separate decisions here where people are divided. This narrative if you don't agree with certain position then you must be a racist is delusional at best and evil at worst.

First most support Hill standing to have flag changed. I do as well.

I don't like the fact that he is stepping aside from his team and school that supports not having the current flag. MSU can't do anything about it so why hurt your team and your school? I may not like it but he is still a Dawg and I'll stick with him. Next man up, great opportunity. Decisions have consequences for everybody.

Dawgcap
06-23-2020, 08:42 PM
So what is the end game of our politicians and why should they deserve our support going forward? I I expect a leader to lead, make tough and smart decisions for the better of their communities, not to hold on to an office and a paycheck

R2Dawg
06-23-2020, 09:36 PM

Yep, get rid of anything I don't like will never stop, never has from the mob that has taken over America. How bout do stuff legally like civil societies do?

Lord McBuckethead
06-23-2020, 10:16 PM
Screw it. Kylin is right. Everyone should take a few minutes and write an email to their representatives in support.

Lord McBuckethead
06-23-2020, 10:17 PM

Agreed.