PDA

View Full Version : Is It Even Politically Possible to Change the Flag Before September 1st?

ShotgunDawg
06-22-2020, 03:26 PM
Just curious of the mechanism for change here.

I think most people want the flag changed, but how quickly can it realistically be changed?

What option do Mississippi politicians have to prevent our football teams from sitting the bench this year?

BrunswickDawg
06-22-2020, 03:31 PM

I think most people want the flag changed, but how quickly can it realistically be changed?

What option do Mississippi politicians have to prevent our football teams from sitting the bench this year?

Yes. The legislature is in session until July 10th - https://www.djournal.com/news/state-news/mississippi-house-adopts-resolution-that-would-extend-legislative-session/article_608687dc-e1e6-585c-b4f5-3c812aa34492.html

And even if it wasn't, the Governor always has the ability to call the legislature into session to deal with an issue.

And if they try to say "deadlines" or "it's too late for it to go thru committees, and make it to the other chamber" blah blah - that's BS, as they can suspend all of those things if they choose.

Commercecomet24
06-22-2020, 03:34 PM
I would venture to guess that if it doesn't get changed the ones wanting to get drafted after this season will play, regardless.

ShotgunDawg
06-22-2020, 03:38 PM
I would venture to guess that if it doesn't get changed the ones wanting to get drafted after this season will play, regardless.

I don't think it should come to that. Hopefully the situation will be resolved as quickly as possible.

Johnson85
06-22-2020, 03:50 PM
Yes. The legislature is in session until July 10th - https://www.djournal.com/news/state-news/mississippi-house-adopts-resolution-that-would-extend-legislative-session/article_608687dc-e1e6-585c-b4f5-3c812aa34492.html

And even if it wasn't, the Governor always has the ability to call the legislature into session to deal with an issue.

And if they try to say "deadlines" or "it's too late for it to go thru committees, and make it to the other chamber" blah blah - that's BS, as they can suspend all of those things if they choose.

They can suspend those things with a 2/3's vote. I'd feel pretty good about getting a majority to vote to change the flag. I don't think it's likely we get a 2/3's vote to change it.

If the flag gets changed before next session, it will be because Tate calls a special session.

SheltonChoked
06-22-2020, 04:11 PM

What option do Mississippi politicians have to prevent our football teams from sitting the bench this year?If they really wanted to, it could be don't in a day. They just have to vote 3-4 times, correct? Once for session, once to suspend any rules that stop them, Once to remove the old flag, and once to vote for the new flag....

I didn't get to go to Boys state so I may be wrong...

Commercecomet24
06-22-2020, 05:23 PM
I don't think it should come to that. Hopefully the situation will be resolved as quickly as possible.

I wholeheartedly agree but I guarantee if it comes down to playing under the flag or losing draft stock and money they'll play. Money always speaks the loudest

KOdawg1
06-22-2020, 05:26 PM
I wholeheartedly agree but I guarantee if it comes down to playing under the flag or losing draft stock and money they'll play. Money always speaks the loudest

Yep.

RiverCityDawg
06-22-2020, 08:15 PM

At the end of the day I agree and think he would say something like "After much discussion with my coaches, AD and Dr Keenum... etc MSU doesn't fly the flag...etc, don't want to let my teammates down...etc... Still for change and believe it's coming.... time to finish what I started...etc".

With all that said, I hope they just change the damn thing and be done with it.

Commercecomet24
06-22-2020, 08:58 PM
At the end of the day I agree and think he would say something like "After much discussion with my coaches, AD and Dr Keenum... etc MSU doesn't fly the flag...etc, don't want to let my teammates down...etc... Still for change and believe it's coming.... time to finish what I started...etc".

With all that said, I hope they just change the damn thing and be done with it.

I played out that same scenario in my
mind and that's about the "player speak" I thought of myself.

DownwardDawg
06-22-2020, 09:15 PM

Yep. They’ll play. Hopefully the flag gets changed but if not they’ll still play.

TNDawg35
06-22-2020, 09:20 PM
Like I said, Kylin has achieved what Kylin was wanting to do which was Kylins name in the news...

Commercecomet24
06-22-2020, 09:23 PM
The flag needs to be changed. I'm proud of being a Southern boy and a son of Mississippi but not proud of some of the history. My flag is the red, white and blue and I'm proud of that too. We need to do the best we can to move ahead, and heal this country. I could go on and on but it has to start in our homes. Our children have to be taught respect and that includes all races and creeds, otherwise we're screwed.

ShotgunDawg
06-22-2020, 09:26 PM
Mississippi is 37% black.

Assuming the black voters can be rallied vote, that means that only 14% of other races would have to vote to change the flag for it to pass.

Doesn't that sound completely doable? The key is getting black voter turnout.

Lord McBuckethead
06-23-2020, 12:34 AM
The flag needs to be changed. I'm proud of being a Southern boy and a son of Mississippi but not proud of some of the history. My flag is the red, white and blue and I'm proud of that too. We need to do the best we can to move ahead, and heal this country. I could go on and on but it has to start in our homes. Our children have to be taught respect and that includes all races and creeds, otherwise we're screwed.

Well said.

Lord McBuckethead
06-23-2020, 12:47 AM

Assuming the black voters can be rallied vote, that means that only 14% of other races would have to vote to change the flag for it to pass.

The issue is, if they put it up to a general vote referendum, and it fails again, the state will be in a terrible position. The legislature needs to get this done, this term. If nothing else, just remove our current flag. We can vote on a new one next year.

They will not push for a referendum to be added to this election. It would bring too many people to the polls. If memory serves, trump won MS by 17%. 9% swing could be interesting, but the other races could be mixed up. No way they risk that. Its the same reason wedge issues never get approached after the election. Why solve a problem when you have a super majority? The wedge needs to stay in play.

Drewbowski
06-23-2020, 04:30 AM
-----

MedDawg
06-23-2020, 07:41 AM
Like I said, Kylin has achieved what Kylin was wanting to do which was Kylins name in the news...

I hope this doesn't hurt him in the draft. I want the flag changed too (I voted for the new ugly flag in 2001), but if the NFL sees Kylin as another Kaepernick, it might hurt his draft position. There's a LOT of time between now and then, so it'll all likely work out just fine if he plays. He needs to be at practice this summer, though.

Liverpooldawg
06-23-2020, 09:42 AM

The legislature could do it today if they wanted to.

Liverpooldawg
06-23-2020, 09:43 AM

It won't happen if it goes to a public vote.

TrapGame
06-23-2020, 09:48 AM

I feel the same.

maroonmania
06-23-2020, 10:34 AM
I hope this doesn't hurt him in the draft. I want the flag changed too (I voted for the new ugly flag in 2001), but if the NFL sees Kylin as another Kaepernick, it might hurt his draft position. There's a LOT of time between now and then, so it'll all likely work out just fine if he plays. He needs to be at practice this summer, though.

Well, at least Kylin is trying to get a specific thing done. Change the flag and he is good to go. Who knows what Kaepernick really wants? I guess he would be kneeling during the national anthem until HE deems that racial justice has been accomplished by his own subjective criteria I guess. Essentially he would never stop kneeling.