PDA

View Full Version : They've come after Stephen D. Lee.

MagicDawg
06-22-2020, 01:17 PM
Welp. Here we go.

I have friends who are supporting this. I do not.

https://www.change.org/p/mississippi-state-university-president-replace-mississippi-state-university-s-confederate-general-statue-23c23df3-9a96-443f-81bf-9a8026dcf523

KentuckyDawg13
06-22-2020, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the link, snowflake. *

DownwardDawg
06-22-2020, 01:33 PM
Nope. I don’t support.

TrapGame
06-22-2020, 01:39 PM
How about Dr. Holmes gets his own statue somewhere prominent on campus? The first university president Lee needs to be recognized. Are we just going to ignore his tenure? Did we not exist as a scholastic entity at the time?

There needs to be more dialog and less demand.

bluelightstar
06-22-2020, 01:41 PM
You can find a change.org petition for anything.

Quaoarsking
06-22-2020, 01:43 PM
People were talking about this 15 years ago when I was a student. It's not like this is some shocking new development.

MagicDawg
06-22-2020, 01:44 PM
FWIW, I support changing the flag. I don't support removing the statue of S.D. Lee. I do support putting up a statue of Holmes somewhere around the Drill Field. Maybe near the Union?

MagicDawg
06-22-2020, 01:46 PM
People were talking about this 15 years ago when I was a student. It's not like this is some shocking new development.

Not a new development, but there is undeniably a new rabidness/energy in the activism, depending on whose ox is being gored.

Rex54
06-22-2020, 02:09 PM
How about Dr. Holmes gets his own statue somewhere prominent on campus? The first university president Lee needs to be recognized. Are we just going to ignore his tenure? Did we not exist as a scholastic entity at the time?

There needs to be more dialog and less demand.

Do you think there's any arguing or debating Bolsheviks?

Rex54
06-22-2020, 02:10 PM
No they weren't.

ShotgunDawg
06-22-2020, 02:11 PM
I gotta admit, I don't care one way or another on this one.

I couldn't care less about Lee

TrapGame
06-22-2020, 02:22 PM
Do you think there's any arguing or debating Bolsheviks?

That's funny. You modern Leftists have much more in common w/ Bolsheviks. You gonna send us to a reeducation camp?

Quaoarsking
06-22-2020, 02:33 PM
No they weren't.

Just because you don't remember it or didn't hear it doesn't mean that people didn't talk about it.

3rdGen
06-22-2020, 02:35 PM
I would bet that most of these people think it’s Robert E Lee.*

Rex54
06-22-2020, 02:41 PM
Just because you don't remember it or didn't hear it doesn't mean that people didn't talk about it.

Show me the Reflector article

Quaoarsking
06-22-2020, 03:05 PM
Show me the Reflector article

Does the Reflector recap classroom debates and assignments? Private conversations? Will this petition even make it in the Reflector?

MagicDawg
06-22-2020, 03:28 PM
For what it's worth, I support changing the flag and keeping the bust of President Lee. And the name on Lee Hall.

Rex54
06-22-2020, 04:13 PM
https://twitter.com/shaunking/status/1275106946916499456?s=21

No more white Jesus.

Turfdawg67
06-22-2020, 04:20 PM
Nope. I don’t support.

Wow, shocker. Did you need to post? We all knew already.

Turfdawg67
06-22-2020, 04:22 PM
For what it's worth, I support changing the flag and keeping the bust of President Lee. And the name on Lee Hall.

I feel that I'm right there as well.

1bigdawg
06-22-2020, 04:51 PM
I am for changing the flag, which was adopted to show that whites were back in complete control and to memorialize the confederacy.

I am for keeping the but of the first President of our school, despite whatever flaws he may have had. He was one of the first to bring what was called "industrial education" to the south.

R2Dawg
06-22-2020, 06:46 PM

Did you know Lee? Did you ever go to MSU, just curious? Your connection to MSU sounds weak at best.

This is another example of there will be no end to the insanity. Lee needs to stay, first MSU president and one of iconic features on campus with such history at MSU.

R2Dawg
06-22-2020, 06:49 PM
I would bet that most of these people think it?s Robert E Lee.*

bingo likely a winner, now that made me laugh.

BiscuitEater
06-22-2020, 08:23 PM
Not a new development, but there is undeniably a new rabidness/energy in the activism, depending on whose ox is being gored.

Exactly! Yale was named after a Slave Dealerwho contributed to start the school. When they rename Yale, then come talk to me.

msstatelp1
06-22-2020, 08:47 PM

No more white Jesus.

So you think Jesus, who was a middle eastern Jew during the times of the Roman Empire, should be portrayed as white european male with light brown hair and blue eyes?

DownwardDawg
06-22-2020, 09:01 PM
So you think Jesus, who was a middle eastern Jew during the times of the Roman Empire, should be portrayed as white european male with light brown hair and blue eyes?

Slippery slope to go down. Never tear down a statue of Jesus regardless of what color it is. I think most people are smart enough to know he would be middle eastern looking but there are white, brown, and very black depictions of Him. Leave them all alone.

Extendedcab
06-22-2020, 10:48 PM

Come on Gun, they are literally trying to rewrite history and obscure the fact these people lived and other non popular (today anyway) events ever happened. If you don't learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it failures. The statue is to honor MSUs first president not the fact he was a senior officer of the Confederate States Army in the Eastern and Western theaters of the American Civil War.

There is a difference and the WOKE movement does not see it or is blind to the fact.

Lord McBuckethead
06-22-2020, 10:51 PM
FWIW, I support changing the flag. I don't support removing the statue of S.D. Lee. I do support putting up a statue of Holmes somewhere around the Drill Field. Maybe near the Union?

FWIW, remove the CSA reference on the plaque. No need to remove his statue. We can celebrate him as our first president in his time after the war, without celebrating his fighting to preserve slavery.

The man was our first president.

Commercecomet24
06-22-2020, 11:01 PM
Slippery slope to go down. Never tear down a statue of Jesus regardless of what color it is. I think most people are smart enough to know he would be middle eastern looking but there are white, brown, and very black depictions of Him. Leave them all alone.

This! folks don't need to go down that road. Best just to let this be. The Savior is represented in statues and paintings by what people view him as. People need to worship him as how they see fit. It stinks we even have to have a reason to have a discussion about this. What is happening to rational thought in this country? So freaking sad.

msbulldog
06-23-2020, 06:08 AM
This! folks don't need to go down that road. Best just to let this be. The Savior is represented in statues and paintings by what people view him as. People need to worship him as how they see fit. It stinks we even have to have a reason to have a discussion about this. What is happening to rational thought in this country? So freaking sad.

I agree CC, Some of these folks better make sure their insurance has lightning protection and that it is up to date.

msbulldog
06-23-2020, 06:10 AM
This petition wants a statue of this Dr. Holmes because he was the first black student? Hell, do I get a statue, I was a student.

msbulldog
06-23-2020, 06:12 AM
This Dr. Holmes fellow started school in Texas and did his post graduate in Michigan. Hell, he was only passing through at MSU.

Tbonewannabe
06-23-2020, 06:56 AM
He actually came back to MSU and was semi retired working at the student health center. I saw him a couple of times as my doctor when I was a student.

msbulldog
06-23-2020, 07:03 AM
I am too old to remember that Dr. Long was the doc when I was there.

Dawgology
06-23-2020, 07:30 AM

I believe in the seperation of church and state (one of the ideals that this country was founded on) and that ALL people should be allowed to celebrate and practice thier religion as they see fit (as long as it physically harms no one). If white churches want a white Jesus then go for it. If black churches want a black Jesus then go for it. I mean...both depictions are equally incorrect but if it helps them connect with God then go for it. The government and/or courts have absolutely no business manadating anything about how a religion is practiced.

Though I don't agree with everything the modern church does but I will defend that right with my dying breath like my forefathers before me.

Dawgology
06-23-2020, 07:32 AM
This petition wants a statue of this Dr. Holmes because he was the first black student? Hell, do I get a statue, I was a student.

I have it on good authority I was one of the most eligible bachelors while at State. I think a statue of me in the drill field would be fitting. Just for the ladies to come marvel at. It'll give them something to do.

Political Hack
06-23-2020, 07:56 AM

No more white Jesus.

Jesus probably had a pretty good tan.