PDA

View Full Version : If I were the AD of MSU and had to talk to Mullen today.

gravedigger
11-04-2013, 07:56 PM
I'd call a meeting with just me and him and here is what I'd say:

When you arrived in late 2008, Mississippi State University took a chance on someone who had not proven themselves in the wealthiest conference in America . To your credit, you rose to the challenge. Not since 1991 had MSU seen such a change in paradigm as we saw those 1st two seasons. Today, what I notice is that the management of the players is suspect. They are not giving the relentless effort you spoke of 5 years ago. It is my job to make sure that the scholarships awarded by MSU are maintained and deemed worthy at every interval. Today, I am seeing a lack of that management based on the effort given each week since last year this time.

There are 4 games left on our schedule. That effort will return immediately. It will be evident in each game regardless of it's outcome. The choice is yours. I am not as concerned with wins and losses as I am in determining whether the players on scholarship understand that they must give the effort that was expected when they were awarded it. Anything less, will result in an evaluation of your staff that is less than satisfactory.

If this is not acceptable to you, I will understand and will allow you to pursue other interests if you let me know now. If you do not, I will assume that you have accepted my stipulations.

I look forward to speaking with you regarding this each Sunday afternoon.

Sincerely,

your direct supervisor

Sam&DeansDawg
11-04-2013, 08:01 PM
I like Muschamp

geotop
11-04-2013, 08:11 PM

When you arrived in late 2008, Mississippi State University took a chance on someone who had not proven themselves in the wealthiest conference in America . To your credit, you rose to the challenge. Not since 1991 had MSU seen such a change in paradigm as we saw those 1st two seasons. Today, what I notice is that the management of the players is suspect. They are not giving the relentless effort you spoke of 5 years ago. It is my job to make sure that the scholarships awarded by MSU are maintained and deemed worthy at every interval. Today, I am seeing a lack of that management based on the effort given each week since last year this time.

There are 4 games left on our schedule. That effort will return immediately. It will be evident in each game regardless of it's outcome. The choice is yours. I am not as concerned with wins and losses as I am in determining whether the players on scholarship understand that they must give the effort that was expected when they were awarded it. Anything less, will result in an evaluation of your staff that is less than satisfactory.

If this is not acceptable to you, I will understand and will allow you to pursue other interests if you let me know now. If you do not, I will assume that you have accepted my stipulations.

Sincerely,

your direct supervisor

Brilliant !!!!!!!!

Send it in

preachermatt83
11-04-2013, 09:03 PM

Sincerely,

your direct supervisor

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4Dawgs4Life
11-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Had not proven himself? Dude had a championship ring and coached Tebow to a Heisman! Really guys some of you are reaching. It's a tuff schedule this year and just a down year. Dak will be the starter from day one next year and our D will be a beast with CJ having a year under his belt and the rest of the guys gelling this coming spring.

I think Dan knew that the in state talent wasn't near what some may think it is this year and has some surprises up his sleeve for signing day. I hear we will be having some big time recruits coming to town.

tcdog70
11-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Had not proven himself? Dude had a championship ring and coached Tebow to a Heisman! Really guys some of you are reaching. It's a tuff schedule this year and just a down year. Dak will be the starter from day one next year and our D will be a beast with CJ having a year under his belt and the rest of the guys gelling this coming spring.

I think Dan knew that the in state talent wasn't near what some may think it is this year and has some surprises up his sleeve for signing day. I hear we will be having some big time recruits coming to town.

I don't think being the OC on a talent laden team is comparable to being a HC at MSU. What He is is much more complex now that he is at MSU. He needs to step Up his Game or step aside.

CadaverDawg
11-04-2013, 09:32 PM

This dude is a troll, I can smell it.

Dallas_Dawg
11-04-2013, 09:33 PM
Muschamp? Who wants him in Starkville if he can't win in Gainesville. Period

Behrdawg
11-04-2013, 09:36 PM

Sincerely,

your direct supervisor

That would require testicular fortitude which is something that is lacking in the Bryan building.

preachermatt83
11-04-2013, 09:37 PM

Look!!! IT's him!!^^^^ The Guy with the pink tutu from Jean's page!!!

4Dawgs4Life
11-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Ok let's just play the what if game. Or let's so you are right, he wasn't proven. You don't think he has proven himself in the SEC up to this year?

Yea how about Muschump? Yea he can't win at Florida wth would he do here? MsState has to have someone that can do it differently than you do at Florida, Bama or LSU. Mullen deserves to get an opportunity to turn this around. Hell we may even still make a bowl game. I say we beat Arky and TSUN. Then we are bowling.

messageboardsuperhero
11-04-2013, 09:40 PM

I can't tell if this post is for real or sarcasm going way over my head.

There have been a lot of new posters lately who are either Gene's Pagers or UM trolls. Either way, it's getting old.

CadaverDawg
11-04-2013, 09:41 PM
I can't tell if this post is for real or sarcasm going way over my head.

There have been a lot of new posters lately who are either Gene's Pagers or UM trolls. Either way, it's getting old.

It's bad right now.

4Dawgs4Life
11-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Ok it's not sarcasm. I can see thinking the new folks may be TSUN spies or something so I'll take my lumps there. It is after all a message board.

But seriously we lose a few games and it seems people lose their minds man. All this talk about firing Mullen is way way premature. Don't y'all think?

geotop
11-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Can we either all get behind Mullen or fire him....

Evrybody with less than 30 posts is suspect

4Dawgs4Life is exempt... I know him and will vouch 4 him

preachermatt83
11-04-2013, 10:15 PM
Can we either all get behind Mullen or fire him....

Evrybody with less than 30 posts is suspect

4Dawgs4Life is exempt... I know him and will vouch 4 him

says the guy with a whole 32 posts.. haha!!

LiterallyPolice
11-04-2013, 10:19 PM
Ok it's not sarcasm. I can see thinking the new folks may be TSUN spies or something so I'll take my lumps there. It is after all a message board.

But seriously we lose a few games and it seems people lose their minds man. All this talk about firing Mullen is way way premature. Don't y'all think?

For what it's worth, I don't think you are a troll. You may be a bit optimistic, but a troll? No.

It's truly a testament to the myopic nature of quite a few posters here lately. The echo chamber around here over the past month has painted Dan as completely inept... And anyone who disagrees with this sentiment HAS to be.... MUST be an Ole Miss troll.

There's such a thing as being a sunshine pumper, and it's quite clear that that is frowned upon around here. But there's also being the complete opposite of that... Constantly having nothing but negative things to say... that is just as propagandist and preachy.

ShotgunDawg
11-04-2013, 10:22 PM
I just don't agree that we lack effort. We may lack management, focus, experience, play calling, etc.., but I saw nothing Saturday that indicated a lack of effort. If a supervisor is talking to an employee that way, he should probably have more objective information.

4Dawgs4Life
11-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Why would an OM troll talk positively about Mullen? I'll let the conspiracy theorists take on that one.

Yes I am optimistic but man when you come on here and see all the negative crap, wow. But seriously guys do you ever think that maybe youth of the team has something to do with the effort and lack of focus? You do realize how young our team is, right?

messageboardsuperhero
11-04-2013, 10:37 PM
Look, I have no clue if 4Dawgs or all the new posters are UM fans, and I really don't care. I also haven't made up my mind on Mullen yet.

I do however think it's ridiculous for people to say stuff like this: "Dude had a championship ring and coached Tebow to a Heisman!" or "It's a tuff schedule this year and just a down year." Who cares what Mullen did at Florida? This is Mississippi State, and his performance here over the past year has been very suspect to say the least. As for the schedule, it's the damn SEC. We play hard teams every year. Stricklin didn't make it easy for us, but in year 5 we should at least been competitive in second halves when playing good teams (We did play Auburn well but absolutely choked at the end).

Again, I haven't made up my mind on Mullen yet, but there is definitely fair reason to be critical.

LiterallyPolice
11-04-2013, 10:39 PM
I just don't agree that we lack effort. We may lack management, focus, experience, play calling, etc.., but I saw nothing Saturday that indicated a lack of effort. If a supervisor is talking to an employee that way, he should probably have more objective information.

I agree with you... I don't think we have an effort problem. I've seen teams give up, and our team just ain't one of them. As you say, we have other problems... But "effort" is everyone's favorite cop-out criticism right after "play-calling".

CadaverDawg
11-04-2013, 11:03 PM
I agree with you... I don't think we have an effort problem. I've seen teams give up, and our team just ain't one of them. As you say, we have other problems... But "effort" is everyone's favorite cop-out criticism right after "play-calling".

First off, I am still giving Mullen these last 4 games to turn it around before wanting him gone.

Secondly, I don't see how you could possibly call lack of effort and play calling "cop outs" when they can be proven. That makes no sense to me.

We are averaging like 4 points per game in the second half. That's a lack of effort on somebody's part. It may be the coaches, may be the players. And when you play call 43+ pass attempts for a running QB, that's poor play calling. When you pass 5 straight times after running the ball very well....that's poor play calling. Nothing "cop out" about it. It's a fact.

Again, not saying things don't get exaggerated both ways...but no cop out in my opinion when it comes to effort and play calling.

But I really hate debating this because it's a dead horse. So we can just agree to disagree. I respect your opinion on mullen

LiterallyPolice
11-04-2013, 11:14 PM
First off, I am still giving Mullen these last 4 games to turn it around before wanting him gone.

Secondly, I don't see how you could possibly call lack of effort and play calling "cop outs" when they can be proven. That makes no sense to me.

We are averaging like 4 points per game in the second half. That's a lack of effort on somebody's part. It may be the coaches, may be the players. And when you play call 43+ pass attempts for a running QB, that's poor play calling. When you pass 5 straight times after running the ball very well....that's poor play calling. Nothing "cop out" about it. It's a fact.

Again, not saying things don't get exaggerated both ways...but no cop out in my opinion when it comes to effort and play calling.

But I really hate debating this because it's a dead horse. So we can just agree to disagree. I respect your opinion on mullen

First, you don't even know my opinion on Mullen. Second, you use the term "proof" very loosely. Third, something can have elements of truth and still be used as a cop-out.

CadaverDawg
11-04-2013, 11:25 PM
First, you don't even know my opinion on Mullen. Second, you use the term "proof" very loosely. Third, something can have elements of truth and still be used as a cop-out.

You just agreed with a guy that was discussing his thoughts on Mullen's team, so I figured that reflected your opinion on Mullen. Regardless, I still respect your opinion whatever the hell it may be, so lighten up.

And your 2nd and 3rd points don't really dispute what I said. Proof is proof, and I don't think it's a cop-out if it is based on actual examples, stats, and facts. But again, you're entitled to your opinion.

DawgsBite34
11-04-2013, 11:25 PM
Whats up with all the hate on the new guys? Im new ive read these forums for a while and just seeing how mullen lost another game for us Saturday, I couldn't hold my tongue anymore. If we don't make a bowl he should go and number one on the list should be Mark Hudspeth. Its that simple im behind him and the team all the way, doesn't mean I wont bitch about him, hes lost my faith but not my support ha if that makes sense

woozman
11-04-2013, 11:36 PM
I don't think being the OC on a talent laden team is comparable to being a HC at MSU. What He is is much more complex now that he is at MSU. He needs to step Up his Game or step aside.

To be fair, the original poster stated that we took a chance on a HC that "had not proven themselves in the wealthiest conference in America" - are you saying that being the OC of the NC team can't be considered proving themselves?

Gravedigger had a solid post, but I too disagree with this part of it...

LiterallyPolice
11-05-2013, 12:09 AM
You just agreed with a guy that was discussing his thoughts on Mullen's team, so I figured that reflected your opinion on Mullen. Regardless, I still respect your opinion whatever the hell it may be, so lighten up.

And your 2nd and 3rd points don't really dispute what I said. Proof is proof, and I don't think it's a cop-out if it is based on actual examples, stats, and facts. But again, you're entitled to your opinion.

Forget what I was saying about "proof"... In the end I was just making a semantic point, so it doesn't really matter.

I never said "effort" and "play-calling" are ALWAYS a cop-out... If someone has reasonably concluded that is the problem through, as you say, stats, examples, etc... Then that is obviously not a cop out. My comment was a general statement about fans of any team... Something wrong? Want simplistic answers to complex problems? Play calling! Effort! Officiating! Etc.

But you claim that averaging 4 pts in the second half is an "effort" issue? Sorry; sounds like your trying to fit a square peg in a round hole there. Lack of adjustments? Conditioning? I don't know... But "effort" is not high on the list of things that come to mind.