PDA

View Full Version : Here's why I want Ole Miss to keep the name Ole Miss

Todd4State
06-21-2020, 07:35 PM
This morning I took a picture of me holding a picture of my Dad in his MSU baseball uniform to send him well wishes on Father's Day. Someone I didn't know took the picture for me and she said "Oh, your Dad played at Mississippi."

At first thought it would be offensive to MSU fans because "Mississippi" in the Jackie Sherrill sense is Ole Miss.

However, in THIS sense I think it shows that MSU in the minds of most people represent MISSISSIPPI. Ole Miss doesn't. WE do.

I think we should be proud of that and that should be our branding. That we at Mississippi State represent Mississippi. #Starship.

Lord McBuckethead
06-21-2020, 07:54 PM
Hmmm, sounds like someone didn't know the difference. I don't know anyone that doesn't know Ole Miss and MSU is in Mississippi.

Lord McBuckethead
06-21-2020, 07:55 PM
Not trying to be a dick, but there are a lot of people that do not follow college sports and know next to nothing about them.

Todd4State
06-21-2020, 07:58 PM
Hmmm, sounds like someone didn't know the difference. I don't know anyone that doesn't know Ole Miss and MSU is in Mississippi.

The difference to me is I've heard people call us Mississippi very specifically when talking about MSU.

RocketDawg
06-21-2020, 08:56 PM

I do, and they're not physically very far from either school and are also sports fans.

smootness
06-22-2020, 08:44 AM

Yeah, but no one calls Ole Miss 'Mississippi'. I'm pretty confident there are a bunch of people who don't even know that OM is the U of M; heck, even some of their prospects have called it Ole Miss University.

Lumpy Chucklelips
06-22-2020, 09:53 AM
I want there to be an uproar to change the name on a national level similar to what we're going through with the flag and after months of heated debate I want them to keep the name Ole Miss and rebels.

bostondawg
06-22-2020, 02:47 PM
This morning I took a picture of me holding a picture of my Dad in his MSU baseball uniform to send him well wishes on Father's Day. Someone I didn't know took the picture for me and she said "Oh, your Dad played at Mississippi."

At first thought it would be offensive to MSU fans because "Mississippi" in the Jackie Sherrill sense is Ole Miss.

However, in THIS sense I think it shows that MSU in the minds of most people represent MISSISSIPPI. Ole Miss doesn't. WE do.

I think we should be proud of that and that should be our branding. That we at Mississippi State represent Mississippi. #Starship.

This is an interesting concept--could MSU try to co-op the brand of "Mississippi" while Ole Miss wallows in the racist dirt? I'm not sure, but honestly I doubt it. There have been enough official sports broadcasts that refer to OM as Mississippi that I don't think it would work.

However, I do think that the longer Ole Miss holds onto that plantation name and image, it will hurt them in recruiting for decades to come. So I don't mind them keeping it for that.