PDA

View Full Version : It's Official: No Baseball Regionals if We Keep Flag

ShotgunDawg
06-19-2020, 10:14 AM
There has never been a more obvious political move in history yet I expect Mississippi to make this difficult.

ScoobaDawg
06-19-2020, 10:27 AM
Take that heritage and shove it up your @ss (not you specifically shotgun)

ShotgunDawg
06-19-2020, 10:33 AM
I do wish the NCAA would pressure Georgia as well.

Conferate States of American Flag

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c8/Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_%281861% E2%80%931863%29.svg/1200px-Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_%281861% E2%80%931863%29.svg.png

Georgia State flag

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/54/Flag_of_Georgia_%28U.S._state%29.svg

was21
06-19-2020, 10:35 AM
Tater just needs to walk outside and tell his henchmen to take the SOB down...problem resolved

ScoobaDawg
06-19-2020, 10:37 AM
I do wish the NCAA would pressure Georgia as well.

Conferate States of American Flag

....]

GA, Bama, Florida..but we need to worry about us. we are the worst.

KOdawg1
06-19-2020, 10:44 AM
Paging Skydawgs..

Homedawg
06-19-2020, 10:56 AM
Paging Skydawgs..

But but but our 13000 tickets....smdh.

Liverpooldawg
06-19-2020, 11:13 AM
There was never any doubt that the NCAA would do this once the SEC did.

BeardoMSU
06-19-2020, 11:19 AM
There was never any doubt that the NCAA would do this once the SEC did.

Yep. This strong-armed push was always inevitable, because our state leaders were never going to do it themselves.

LC Dawg
06-19-2020, 11:23 AM
If something is not done soon football season is going to be ugly for us and Ole Miss. Press conferences will have nothing to do with football.

KOdawg1
06-19-2020, 11:26 AM
Yep. This strong-armed push was always inevitable, because our state leaders were never going to do it themselves.
It's sad it's come to that. I wish, just for once, Mississippi could do the right thing proactively instead of either doing nothing or being forced to change. It's why we're last in pretty much every statistical category.

I'm a proud Republican and Mississippian, but I am beyond embarrassed today.

ShotgunDawg
06-19-2020, 11:30 AM
It's sad it's come to that. I wish, just for once, Mississippi could do the right thing proactively instead of either doing nothing or being forced to change. It's why we're last in pretty much every statistical category.

I'm a proud Republican and Mississippian, but I am beyond embarrassed today.

This is correct, & it feeds into everything that happens in the state.

Mississippi has perhaps had the worst leadership of any state in America over it's history. Always weak & re-active rather than pro-active.

Quaoarsking
06-19-2020, 11:37 AM
This may give our politicians and out not to have a vote. Soccer and other fall teams in Mississippi can't wait for a vote in November. The flag already needs to be changed before then.

R2Dawg
06-19-2020, 11:38 AM
If something is not done soon football season is going to be ugly for us and Ole Miss. Press conferences will have nothing to do with football.

This stinks, but we are already there. Every game will be littered with PC, protests, signs, kneeling, standing, boos, fingers, etc. We as a culture have reached a level of insanity I never thought possible. Not sure I even want to go even if virus is gone.

Get rid of flag, it will not change anything. We are in a spiritual and moral crisis in the country. We will either reverse our direction or devolve into complete anarchy. The heart of people is the root of the problem that only God can solve.

Captain Falcon
06-19-2020, 11:40 AM
Let's wait until the state government actually does anything before we make any assumptions that they will. You have to realize who you are dealing with here, this is not a governing body that has inspired a whole lot of trust over the years.

They could easily drag their feet on this and prolong it unnecessarily.

Irondawg
06-19-2020, 11:44 AM
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/these-5-states-still-use-confederate-symbols-their-flags

Interesting and makes it a bit odd that we're being singled out. Is it just because of use of the battle flag?

Georgia getting no pushback at all?

I think we should change it but if we're going to get hammered, I don't want to be singled out by the SEC.

BeardoMSU
06-19-2020, 11:50 AM
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/these-5-states-still-use-confederate-symbols-their-flags

Interesting and makes it a bit odd that we're being singled out. Is it just because of use of the battle flag?

I think we should change it but if we're going to get hammered, I don't want to be singled out by the SEC.

Our flag is arguably more brazenly defiant/offensive in its design, I suppose. The fact we chose to include the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia in our state flag was meant to send a very clear signal. It is what it is.

I agree that it sucks to be singled out, but we need to worry about us...

ShotgunDawg
06-19-2020, 11:51 AM

While what you say does have some merit, it's important to remember that the Georgia flag has not been adopted by the KKK and other hate groups as a symbol of racial superiority

AlSwearengen
06-19-2020, 11:52 AM
I?m pretty damn conservative and don?t consider the flag to be racist. That said, some do and it is hurting the state (a state that already sucks hind tit in every way).

The majority of people that I see hollering at the top of their lungs about keeping the flag, I would consider backward as hell and have no real desire to improve themselves or their state.

In short, this isn?t the hill that I want to die on. I imagine they will get the flag and start pushing again in short order. I will decide when I have been pushed far enough and when we reach that point I will hoist my flag.

Let?s come up with a cool looking flag, make MS better, and host a bunch of super regionals.

BeardoMSU
06-19-2020, 11:54 AM
Is it just because of use of the battle flag?

You have to admit that the "battle flag", as it's called, is decidedly more recognizable than any other image/insignia of the Confederacy to the majority of people. Plus, though there may be exceptions, I'm pretty sure it's the "battle flag" that is predominantly used by the various hate groups as a banner, not the CSA/Georgia flag.

Turfdawg67
06-19-2020, 11:54 AM
Well... that settles it then. Tomorrow we secede from the SEC/NCAA. Grab yer gun and 'shine! Who's with me? Let's gooooo!!

https://i.postimg.cc/wThbMjzT/6-FF48-D5-D-9-EC6-4-C43-9-F28-40-E9-DCC27-AD3.gif

BeardoMSU
06-19-2020, 11:55 AM
While what you say does have some merit, it's important to remember that the Georgia flag has not been adopted by the KKK and other hate groups as a symbol of racial superiority

Exactly what I just posted. Beat me to it, Gun.

hailmari
06-19-2020, 12:14 PM
I would like to see just one person admit that the reason they don?t consider the flag to be racist is simply because they selfishly and stubbornly don?t want it to go away.

Leroy Jenkins
06-19-2020, 12:19 PM

That's the problem with symbolism. For example, in 50 years if something like the American flag or the sign of the cross were to be "adopted" by an undesirable group would they all have to be taken down because they are a dog-whistle for something else? The swastika was a symbol of togetherness for 5,000 years before Hitler adopted it. Nobody knows that now.

Tbonewannabe
06-19-2020, 12:23 PM
That's the problem with symbolism. For example, in 50 years if something like the American flag or the sign of the cross were to be "adopted" by an undesirable group would they all have to be taken down because they are a dog-whistle for something else?

The Confederate Battle Flag never stood for anything other than opposing the elimination of slavery. This is according to Mississippi's declaration of secession. It is quite a bit different.

ShotgunDawg
06-19-2020, 12:26 PM
That's the problem with symbolism. For example, in 50 years if something like the American flag or the sign of the cross were to be "adopted" by an undesirable group would they all have to be taken down because they are a dog-whistle for something else?

Symbols do change over time. The same flags used in Jesus' time are no longer used. The world evolves.

there's nothing to say that in 200 years, something similar to the confederate flag can't be used again, but, as for now, it's offensive.

The Swastika used to be a positive symbol. Stuff changes. Realize that & change with it

Dolphus Raymond
06-19-2020, 12:31 PM
In typical Mississippi fashion, our ?leaders? hang on to the past until ?They? force our hand. (I have often wondered who is behind that sinister organization named ?They?.) Anyway, it is all over but the shouting and now the Confederate imagery will be retired to its rightful place: a museum.

Irondawg
06-19-2020, 12:42 PM
Yeah I get the battle flag is different but the Sec/NCAA wasn’t specific - is the battle flag or ties to the confederacy? If the latter like we see with all the statues then other state flags have those ties as well.

Once again we need to change it but let’s be uniform in policy

bostondawg
06-19-2020, 01:07 PM
Yeah I get the battle flag is different but the Sec/NCAA wasn’t specific - is the battle flag or ties to the confederacy? If the latter like we see with all the statues then other state flags have those ties as well.

Once again we need to change it but let’s be uniform in policy

I see your point here. Unfortunately, the NCAA has called the "Confederate flag" as the battle flag of the army of northern virginia. Personally, I'd consider the national flags of the Confederacy (of which Georgia is basically flying right now as their state flag) would also go under this policy, it's pretty clear that the NCAA means the red flag with the diagonal blue cross and stars.

Source: https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/29334498/ncaa-extends-policy-banning-championships-where-confederate-flag-flown#:~:text=The%20NCAA%20expanded%20its%20Confed erate,where%20the%20flag%20is%20flown.&text=It%20is%20the%20only%20state,cross%20with%201 3%20white%20stars.
Quote from the ESPN article "Mississippi is the only state affected by the policy change. It is the only state flag that continues to feature the banner of the Confederacy -- a blue cross with 13 white stars."

So while I disagree with the NCAA's naming of these flags, I think they're clear on what flag they mean.

msbulldog
06-19-2020, 01:23 PM
This stinks, but we are already there. Every game will be littered with PC, protests, signs, kneeling, standing, boos, fingers, etc. We as a culture have reached a level of insanity I never thought possible. Not sure I even want to go even if virus is gone.

Get rid of flag, it will not change anything. We are in a spiritual and moral crisis in the country. We will either reverse our direction or devolve into complete anarchy. The heart of people is the root of the problem that only God can solve.

AMEN! Rep given!