PDA

View Full Version : This is an excellant video of what we wi see with MikevLeach football...this 2018

99jc
06-17-2020, 09:48 PM
game with Oregon with Minshew at QB. this is a full game in 45 Minutes. if you haven't watched it yet I encourage you to do so.

1) the QB we have will make or break this season.
2) Kylin Hill will have a monster year.
3) We will run the ball more than we expect.
4) Yards after catch is really important in this scheme.
5) play calling more diverse than expected
6) We will blitz a lot on defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkkZkDdUA9A

RiverCityDawg
06-18-2020, 11:26 AM
game with Oregon with Minshew at QB. this is a full game in 60 Minutes. if you haven't watched it yet I encourage you to do so.

1) the QB we have will make or break this season.
2) Kylin Hill will have a monster year.
3) We will run the ball more than we expect.
4) Yards after catch is really important in this scheme.
5) play calling more diverse than expected
6) We will blitz a lot on defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkkZkDdUA9A

Regarding #3, I guess that's relative to what people "expect". In that game they ran it 20 times total and threw it 51 times. I think passing it 65-75% of the time is a reasonable expectation and I would be surprised if anyone reading this forum is really expecting something outside of that range.

TrapGame
06-18-2020, 11:57 AM
Kylin Hill with an average run game will add another dimension to Leach's offense no one has ever seen. Hill will arguably be the best back Leach has had in his system.

99jc
06-18-2020, 12:07 PM
Kylin Hill with an average run game will add another dimension to Leach's offense no one has ever seen. Hill will arguably be the best back Leach has had in his system.

This is why I believe we will run the ball more than he did that game. Kylin should get 20 + touches a game regardless!

Lord McBuckethead
06-18-2020, 01:13 PM
This is why I believe we will run the ball more than he did that game. Kylin should get 20 + touches a game regardless!

Maybe total touches, but I would bet he doesn't get 20 handoffs a single game.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-18-2020, 01:36 PM
Yea Kylin May get 20 touches but it's gonna be 12-14 carries & 6-8 receptions.

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2020, 01:51 PM
1. Everyone thinking he's going to run it more need to realize that's not who he is. He's been successful with his offense for 20 years & is going to run his offense exactly the same as he always have. Be surprised if he runs it more, don't expect it. Seems absurd to get upset when he doesn't run it much when the guy has been running the exact same offense for 20 years. That's on you, not Mike Leach if that's your expectation. I can already see signs of people talking themselves into Leach running the ball more without a single bit of evidence. Don't go down this road. It will only make this board miserable.

2. I like how Costello is tall in this offense. With all these little short crossing routes, I like that Costello's height will allow him to throw the ball downhill. That should prevent some INTs due to our stone hand WR crew tipping balls.

RiverCityDawg
06-18-2020, 01:52 PM
Yea Kylin May get 20 touches but it's gonna be 12-14 carries & 6-8 receptions.

No doubt. Running the ball more will only happen if opposing defenses continually give us a light box and we either can't make them pay or they just stay in it regardless of us gashing them. Both of those scenarios seem unlikely. Leach isn't going to force the running game if the numbers don't dictate it, no matter how good our running backs are.

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2020, 01:53 PM
No doubt. Running the ball more will only happen if opposing defenses continually give us a light box and we either can't make them pay or they just stay in it regardless of us gashing them. Both of those scenarios seem unlikely. Leach isn't going to force the running game if the numbers don't dictate it, no matter how good our running backs are.

He's not going to run the ball more

Ifyouonlyknew
06-18-2020, 02:11 PM

It doesn't matter what the defense does he's going to pass.

TrapGame
06-18-2020, 02:18 PM
If Mike Leach runs the ball more than he has in his entire career this season I want a gold damn star next to my name.

And if he doesn't a mod can change my avatar to a horse's ass and all my rep green to red.

msu15
06-18-2020, 02:23 PM
That's definitely something that's going to be an adjustment for me in regards to the run game. We will have at least 1 situation this season with 1st and goal at the 1 and we're going to call a pass play instead of sticking it in Kylin's belly.

RiverCityDawg
06-18-2020, 02:32 PM

Agree to an extent and I already said in this thread it's going to be pass 65-75% of the time. But my comment was about running it "more". By that I mean if we get a 4 man box over and over again we will run it "more" and maybe "only" pass it 50 times instead of 60. With that said no one is giving us a 4 man box with Kylin in the backfield and unproven WR's so it's a non-issue.... which again, was my point.

TrapGame
06-18-2020, 03:02 PM
Agree to an extent and I already said in this thread it's going to be pass 65-75% of the time. But my comment was about running it "more". By that I mean if we get a 4 man box over and over again we will run it "more" and maybe "only" pass it 50 times instead of 60. With that said no one is giving us a 4 man box with Kylin in the backfield and unproven WR's so it's a non-issue.... which again, was my point.

All Leach has to do is run the ball 5 more times a game than he would usually do. Those 5 "extra" touches by Kylin could prove to be difference makers. But, just running Kylin in a normal Leach offense is going to have its advantages.

99jc
06-18-2020, 04:13 PM
All Leach has to do is run the ball 5 more times a game than he would usually do. Those 5 "extra" touches by Kylin could prove to be difference makers. But, just running Kylin in a normal Leach offense is going to have its advantages.

that's all I am saying also no one here says we are going to run the ball 30 times a game.

Homedawg
06-18-2020, 04:34 PM
That's definitely something that's going to be an adjustment for me in regards to the run game. We will have at least 1 situation this season with 1st and goal at the 1 and we're going to call a pass play instead of sticking it in Kylin's belly.

one??? gonna be way more than one unless w only get to that situation once

msu15
06-18-2020, 04:47 PM
one??? gonna be way more than one unless w only get to that situation once

No doubt

TrapGame
06-18-2020, 05:15 PM
that's all I am saying also no one here says we are going to run the ball 30 times a game.

Exactly. When a few other posters and I think that Leach runs the ball more with KH we mean 5 extra touches tops.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-18-2020, 05:29 PM
Oregon's first possession: Bad snap, bad snap AND a false start, 5 yard run, delay of game, short pass, punt.

I can see why they hired Moorhead, his O will fit right in

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-18-2020, 05:50 PM

Did you watch the same game I did? He ran the ball almost everytime the box numbers made sense. Including several times on 1st and 10.

Besides, a pass to the RB is pretty much a run anyway as it forces D's to defend near the line even once they see it's a pass.

It's semantics really, as long as Hill gets the ball in space or with competent blockers in front he's going to do damage. And leach RBs get touches. I"m not worried about it, moreso if the OL can adjust and if the WR's and Costello can get on the same page

JPdog
06-18-2020, 06:17 PM
Oregon's first possession: Bad snap, bad snap AND a false start, 5 yard run, delay of game, short pass, punt.

I can see why they hired Moorhead, his O will fit right in

I chuckled

JPdog
06-18-2020, 06:20 PM
A few observations/thoughts:
1. The 10 yard out route is money.
2. There?s space all over the field.
3. Get used to short passes rather than runs on early downs.
4. A 2 back set with Kylin and Marks has me wooly. Our backs are gonna get the ball and have a chance to be deadly on those short passes and checkdowns .
5. Obvious, but this offense is so dependent on how the QB can process the defense and make reads. When it?s clicking, it is beautiful.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-18-2020, 07:02 PM
4. A 2 back set with Kylin and Marks has me wooly. Our backs are gonna get the ball and have a chance to be deadly on those short passes and checkdowns .
5. Obvious, but this offense is so dependent on how the QB can process the defense and make reads. When it?s clicking, it is beautiful.

Add in 6., the ball gets out QUICK quicker than almost any Dan or Joe pass play.

And on 5., the QB in this system is a distributor. He needs to be able to read the field to find who's open and have consistent decent accuracy to get the ball there, BUT overall he's not asked to be a Jonny Football/Cam/Joe Burrow hero that can do everything and drop dimes against perfect coverage after avoiding pressure. He's not expected to make complicated pass pro adjustments since the blocking scheme is so simple, he's not expected to avoid pressure well since the ball gets out so fast, and he's not expected to run. He's expected to figure out which guy is in space and sling it that way.

You definitely need a calm, cerebral, good passer QB, but it really should be easier to consistently find than what most SEC O's are looking for, namely a dynamic "excels at everything" guy

Todd4State
06-19-2020, 12:09 AM
Add in 6., the ball gets out QUICK quicker than almost any Dan or Joe pass play.

And on 5., the QB in this system is a distributor. He needs to be able to read the field to find who's open and have consistent decent accuracy to get the ball there, BUT overall he's not asked to be a Jonny Football/Cam/Joe Burrow hero that can do everything and drop dimes against perfect coverage after avoiding pressure. He's not expected to make complicated pass pro adjustments since the blocking scheme is so simple, he's not expected to avoid pressure well since the ball gets out so fast, and he's not expected to run. He's expected to figure out which guy is in space and sling it that way.

You definitely need a calm, cerebral, good passer QB, but it really should be easier to consistently find than what most SEC O's are looking for, namely a dynamic "excels at everything" guy

Excellent post. It seems to me like most of Leach's plays have guys on the outside that runs routes typically like a go or a post where it's basically a deep shot one on one beat your guy but then a lot of times the inside guys are running some kind of crossing route or an option route that is high percentage if the outside guys don't win their one on ones. And then he has the screen game which is an extension of the run game in this offense. I'm guessing most of the time the QB reads the outside first and if there isn't an obviously open guy the second read is the underneath guy.

ScoobaDawg
06-19-2020, 03:56 AM

exactly...all depends on KJ. We are all hyped on him being the real deal, but can he get the system down and the receivers sync up. Maybe I'm still on the fence because of last years QB adventures but... damn i want to believe and be wooly.

BuckyIsAB****
06-19-2020, 10:03 AM
He's not going to run the ball more

Yeah he will if he gets a 4-1 or 3-2 box. The QB has more control of what is ran than Leach does. The play is going to be checked a lot