PDA

View Full Version : 1st Game

StarkVegasSteve
06-16-2020, 03:07 PM
Saw where Kentucky has moved their first game from Saturday to Thursday to avoid conflict with the Kentucky Derby. Probably means we are staying on Saturday for the opener.

Todd4State
06-16-2020, 03:23 PM
Yep. I'm glad they announced something so I can fix my work schedule again. I wish MSU would stop lobbying for Thursday night games. Absolutely bush league at this point. It's like they think we're still MSU 2009.

StarkVegasSteve
06-16-2020, 03:28 PM
Yep. I'm glad they announced something so I can fix my work schedule again. I wish MSU would stop lobbying for Thursday night games. Absolutely bush league at this point. It's like they think we're still MSU 2009.

Yea I've never really understood our want to play on Thursday night. It gets you on national TV, but EVERY game is on national TV now. It just feels like you're sacrificing a lot to be able to play on Thursday. Because playing on Thursday generally means no one tailgates and no one stays after the game.

vv83
06-16-2020, 03:34 PM
Thursday night games are far superior to a 11 or 3 Saturday games

Ifyouonlyknew
06-16-2020, 03:40 PM

Yep esp 1st game of the year Thursday.

StarkVegasSteve
06-16-2020, 03:45 PM

If you're just going to the game and going straight back home then you're right Thursday night probably is better. But if you're wanting to tailgate before and after and go out to eat after then Thursday night isn't all its cracked up to be.

TrapGame
06-16-2020, 03:46 PM
Yep esp 1st game of the year Thursday.

But not when Mike Henig throws 7 interceptions.

I still cringe about that.

Jack Lambert
06-16-2020, 03:47 PM
I figure we are going to get the shaft on 12:00 games this season just like last season. I figure the first game will be a 12:00 kick off.

fieldcorporal
06-16-2020, 03:52 PM
Heat kills the corona.

Cowbell
06-16-2020, 04:03 PM

You just brought back bad memories.

You guys don't need to sell short the fact that most spectators outside our conference are curious to watch Leach and the networks know this. It will help us get some better spots.

Todd4State
06-16-2020, 04:23 PM

6:00 game are more superior than both. And yet our fans don't mention that as a possibility.

Todd4State
06-16-2020, 04:24 PM
Yea I've never really understood our want to play on Thursday night. It gets you on national TV, but EVERY game is on national TV now. It just feels like you're sacrificing a lot to be able to play on Thursday. Because playing on Thursday generally means no one tailgates and no one stays after the game.

It's because we beat Florida in 1992 on a Thursday night and our administration thought it was the best idea ever.

LT is like Emperor Palpatine in Star Wars. Never really fully gone.

Todd4State
06-16-2020, 04:24 PM
You just brought back bad memories.

You guys don't need to sell short the fact that most spectators outside our conference are curious to watch Leach and the networks know this. It will help us get some better spots.

I think you are correct about that.

Mobile Bay
06-16-2020, 04:31 PM

I grew up in Montgomery, Al. When Henig went to MSU the Montgomery Country Club golf pro shop bought a bunch of MSU stuff. The pro thought sense Henig's entire family were members, it would all sell well.

Most of my MSU stuff I have was given to me as a gift by my aunt who bought it from there at 75% off.

Word I heard is he showed up day one acting like a rich jackass, and our line said nope, ain't blocking for you.

Mobile Bay
06-16-2020, 04:32 PM
It's because we beat Florida in 1992 on a Thursday night and our administration thought it was the best idea ever.

Also because in 1992 it was about the only way we could get on TV other than the occasional 11AM JP game.

Todd4State
06-16-2020, 04:59 PM
Also because in 1992 it was about the only way we could get on TV other than the occasional 11AM JP game.

This is true. And of course that was almost 30 years ago when it was a totally different landscape than it is now. I feel like our administration is stuck in a decade ago at this time.

I did see a Twitter poll asking fans which helmet they liked best so maybe they'll actually do something the fans halfway like for a change.

parabrave
06-16-2020, 05:30 PM

Or Sleepy breaks his leg/

msu15
06-16-2020, 05:34 PM
Thursday night games are awesome. I loved when the SEC used to have some throughout the season. It definitely beats playing New Mexico on a Saturday at 11.

msu15
06-16-2020, 05:35 PM

Nothing is more bush league than playing New Mexico at 11 AM on a Saturday.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-16-2020, 05:38 PM

Or OR people prefer Thursday night to Saturday morning. Yes there's a chance we could play Saturday night but the odds aren't in our favor. So I hope we get a night game because 11 or 3 in September is hell.

AmiteDog
06-16-2020, 06:41 PM
6:00 game are more superior than both. And yet our fans don't mention that as a possibility.

Of course they are but fans don?t get to set the TV schedule. And I?m sure this time slot is not going to happen since Alabama vs USC will surely have this slot wrapped up. So you will have Missouri, Arkansas, Auburn , A&M, MSU, LSU, Vandy, Tennessee and Florida all playing nobodies to fill out the rest of the schedule.

Ari Gold
06-16-2020, 06:52 PM
If you have the chance to play on Thursday night opening weekend of the college season you take it.. 110% take it..
in turn if can move the egg bowl back to sat or even Friday you do it 110% ...

RocketDawg
06-16-2020, 07:48 PM
Heat kills the corona.

That doesn't seem to be the case.

Dawgcap
06-16-2020, 08:52 PM
Hell I wanted it because we would be the opening to College Football. The first game of the season. Hell people have been counting down for 2 weeks. This was an opportunity to showcase a new offense against a g5 team with no tv competition.
While I agree some other Thursdays in the middle of the season are bad there is no way this game wouldn?t of spotlighted us to recruits in the Southeast when no other conference teams were playing

Commercecomet24
06-16-2020, 10:45 PM

Was it only 7? It seemed like way more! That was ugly!

dantheman4248
06-16-2020, 11:17 PM
Give me 7 PM Sunday opening weekend. Not like we're competing with the NFL. College is so stupid for not dominating the entire labor day weekend.

Dawgcap
06-17-2020, 12:06 AM
They are now protecting the NBA. Supposedly the Miss- Baylor game is on Sunday afternoon because of the NBA

BrunswickDawg
06-17-2020, 09:23 AM
Was it only 7? It seemed like way more! That was ugly!

It was actually 6 INTs and a fumble. MSU QBs have had some historically bad games against LSU
Henig in '07, Russell & Relf with 5 total picks in '10, Fitz 4 INTs in '18

Captain Falcon
06-17-2020, 10:52 AM
Give me 7 PM Sunday opening weekend. Not like we're competing with the NFL. College is so stupid for not dominating the entire labor day weekend.

They already do this. Every year in recent memory there have been games Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday of Labor Day weekend.

dantheman4248
06-17-2020, 11:12 AM
They already do this. Every year in recent memory there have been games Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday of Labor Day weekend.

Point is that there should be games all day Sunday and maybe even Monday too. As of now they simply put game at night. So much missed potential revenue.

MaroonFlounder
06-18-2020, 12:34 PM

I love Thursday night games. That means I am at home on Saturday and get to watch all the other games live on TV. When at our games are on Saturday, I see very little of other games going on.