PDA

View Full Version : Possibility of a Flexible Football Schedule

TrapGame
06-15-2020, 08:05 AM
Heard Bo Bounds this am talking about the effects of COVID on the season. One possibility is games could be cancelled if more that a few players have it at the time. Supposedly Sankey has said he is looking into teams playing other available teams if that happens. So, if Kentucky has to cancel on us we could possibly play South Carolina instead if they also were cancelled on. The logistics might get kinda crazy.

starkvegasdawg
06-15-2020, 08:09 AM
They'll end up letting Alabama play vandy and Ole miss for all of their sec games.

TrapGame
06-15-2020, 08:36 AM
They'll end up letting Alabama play vandy and Ole miss for all of their sec games.

I'm sure Sankey will make sure Alabama has a game with Tulsa Lawn & Garden Technical College lined up.

RiverCityDawg
06-15-2020, 08:37 AM
Heard Bo Bounds this am talking about the effects of COVID on the season. One possibility is games could be cancelled if more that a few players have it at the time. Supposedly Sankey has said he is looking into teams playing other available teams if that happens. So, if Kentucky has to cancel on us we could possibly play South Carolina instead if they also were cancelled on. The logistics might get kinda crazy.

Wouldn't surprise me at this point. I think everyone agrees that there will be players test positive during the season, most of which will be asymptomatic. This means these players will have to be out for two weeks. The depth of a team can be shot pretty quickly with a handful of guys out for two weeks in addition to the normal level of injuries you can expect from just playing football.

I think it's going to be like a 14 team fantasy football league... The teams that do the best will be the lucky ones that avoid the injuries or in this case the positive COVID-19 tests.

Throw in the fact that crowds might be less, thus reducing the home field advantage and it could really be a wacky year.

FISHDAWG
06-15-2020, 08:50 AM
this has got to be driving Vegas crazy

TrapGame
06-15-2020, 09:08 AM
Wouldn't surprise me at this point. I think everyone agrees that there will be players test positive during the season, most of which will be asymptomatic. This means these players will have to be out for two weeks. The depth of a team can be shot pretty quickly with a handful of guys out for two weeks in addition to the normal level of injuries you can expect from just playing football.

I think it's going to be like a 14 team fantasy football league... The teams that do the best will be the lucky ones that avoid the injuries or in this case the positive COVID-19 tests.

Throw in the fact that crowds might be less, thus reducing the home field advantage and it could really be a wacky year.

Yep, Guv Abbott in Texas has already declared stadiums will only be half capacity.

Jack Lambert
06-15-2020, 09:36 AM

and at home on CBS.

BiscuitEater
06-15-2020, 09:37 AM

Meanwhile, Ole Miss will get to count Chattanooga and Tampa as SEC games .. again!

Jack Lambert
06-15-2020, 09:38 AM
Yep, Guv Abbott in Texas has already declared stadiums will only be half capacity.

Better buy season tickets because if it is reduced it will be reduced to season tickets only. If you see an announcement of season tickets sales are going to end then it's possibly going to happen.

SheltonChoked
06-15-2020, 10:30 AM

History says it will be Ole Miss that gets to call Delta State, Millsaps, and Oxford high School SEC games, While we have to play Cowboys, Tampa Bay, and the Saints, away as our SEC games

NWADAWG
06-15-2020, 10:54 AM

This might be an advantage to us. The air raid is unique in this league. I think DCs would would dread facing our offense on short notice with minimal prep/film time.

TrapGame
06-15-2020, 11:45 AM
This might be an advantage to us. The air raid is unique in this league. I think DCs would would dread facing our offense on short notice with minimal prep/film time.

This is going to be the wildest year of college football in a long time.

And I wonder if we are gonna see a P5 for a P5 sub out. What if Texas has an open date due to COVID and we do too. And what if Texas would rather play us than someone else. This could lead to some really interesting match ups.

msstatelp1
06-15-2020, 12:18 PM
Does it become a bidding war for home field? If one team was home and one was away I could see defaulting to the home team staying as a home game. What happens if both teams were home or both teams were away?

Maroonthirteen
06-15-2020, 12:51 PM
84-17-3.

maroonmania
06-15-2020, 03:34 PM

So sounds like Tutorgate from last year should have us well prepared for how to handle losing players for games during the season this year.

Todd4State
06-15-2020, 04:43 PM
If a team is unable to play typically the NCAA just doesn't count the game or play it. This has happened before when things like hurricanes have caused teams to cancel a game. I don't see why this would be any different?

TrapGame
06-15-2020, 06:47 PM
If a team is unable to play typically the NCAA just doesn't count the game or play it. This has happened before when things like hurricanes have caused teams to cancel a game. I don't see why this would be any different?

Money. It's not just one game in September. Sankey and the ADs are worried this could be an every week thing and if it's four or five games cancelled it's going to hit the university's budget hard.

Todd4State
06-15-2020, 07:51 PM
Money. It's not just one game in September. Sankey and the ADs are worried this could be an every week thing and if it's four or five games cancelled it's going to hit the university's budget hard.

Oh. For some reason I thought it was just referring to OOC games.

TrapGame
06-15-2020, 09:48 PM
Oh. For some reason I thought it was just referring to OOC games.

Nope, that's why we might have a cancellation from say Kentucky and maybe UGA has a cancellation that weekend too. All of a sudden we are in Athens that weekend. This could get wild. Now, what would be absolutely crazy is if we have a cancellation from Tulane and we get offered to host a top 25 team in need of an opponent and we beat them. This could be the most wacky year of college football ever.

BuckyIsAB****
06-15-2020, 10:49 PM

That?s as of now. I fully expect them to be filled with as many as want to be there. OM has said they plan on having no fan restrictions which is good for them

Todd4State
06-15-2020, 11:42 PM
That?s as of now. I fully expect them to be filled with as many as want to be there. OM has said they plan on having no fan restrictions which is good for them

I would also have to think that if I am governor of any SEC state if I want to help my re-election chances I'm going to allow football to happen with very minimal restrictions as far as letting fans in. Basically you know the risks, wear a mask and the schools have to provide hand sanitizer stations. Hail State!

Todd4State
06-15-2020, 11:44 PM
Nope, that's why we might have a cancellation from say Kentucky and maybe UGA has a cancellation that weekend too. All of a sudden we are in Athens that weekend. This could get wild. Now, what would be absolutely crazy is if we have a cancellation from Tulane and we get offered to host a top 25 team in need of an opponent and we beat them. This could be the most wacky year of college football ever.

I don't see how that could realistically work. Just being honest. What if three SEC teams have cancellations? Who gets to play who? Larry Templeton who does the scheduling can't even figure out how to get teams to play more than like once a decade with the current format I can't see being week to week working with his little brain.

TrapGame
06-16-2020, 08:07 AM
I don't see how that could realistically work. Just being honest. What if three SEC teams have cancellations? Who gets to play who? Larry Templeton who does the scheduling can't even figure out how to get teams to play more than like once a decade with the current format I can't see being week to week working with his little brain.

Yeah, I forgot about LT.

SheltonChoked
06-16-2020, 11:01 AM

The headline said that, The Article said if they have to reduce capacity, When you renewed season tickets, and how much money you donate will be part of the valuation on if you get to attend, so click the link to send us your money.

Jack Lambert
06-16-2020, 12:18 PM
Possibility of rescheduling games is a real possibility but limiting the number of fans probably not going to happen Maybe limit to season tickets sold. For all practical reason the lock down is over. When they had no problems with the protest they unlocked the door.