PDA

View Full Version : MLB Draft

vv83
06-10-2020, 07:28 PM
Austin Hendrick 12th to the Reds. Safe to say he?s gone.

smootness
06-10-2020, 07:37 PM
Wow, Foscue 14th to Texas

vv83
Foscue just went 14. He’s gone

BrunswickDawg
Wow, Foscue 14th to Texas

Damn - knew he was gone, but 14th is a lot higher than I expected.

TNDawg35
06-10-2020, 07:45 PM
Draft has been greatly college heavy...

Hambone
06-10-2020, 07:50 PM
Who was the guy on Thunder and Lightning that basically ripped all of our potential draft picks? Other than He sticks he didn’t have a single player with a 1st round grade anymore.

I thought something was off with his interview. Glad to see Foscue go that high

MaroonFlounder
06-10-2020, 07:52 PM
Only got 2 years and 17 games with Foscue.

Thanks China!

smootness
06-10-2020, 07:58 PM
Damn - knew he was gone, but 14th is a lot higher than I expected.

I'm guessing you'll see guys with numbers go higher this year than normal relative to the guys based more on projection.

TNDawg35
06-10-2020, 08:01 PM
Who was the guy on Thunder and Lightning that basically ripped all of our potential draft picks? Other than He sticks he didn’t have a single player with a 1st round grade anymore.

I thought something was off with his interview. Glad to see Foscue go that high

Kieth Law. He said Foscue would prolly go in 1st, but Westy would go in the comp 1st, and Ginn more than likely in the 2nd. Said Ginn has had stamina issues even in high school and a lot of scouts saw that. Westy would end up at 3rd base more than likely and needed to cut down on the K numbers. Said we would loose Hendricks, but Jordan needed college badly. (I agree)

For the most part he has been pretty accurate. I didn’t take it he was ripping them. I took it he was being honest.

B Jordan doesn’t really have a position and from reports had big trouble with good pitching. Of course he hit decent pitching 500 ft to Memphis, but overall needed college to fill out.

BeardoMSU
06-10-2020, 08:05 PM
Wow. Good for him!

vv83
06-10-2020, 09:06 PM
Westburg at 30

PKADogs55
06-10-2020, 09:10 PM
Is this the first time having 2 players selected in the 1st Round .... Since Will and Raf?

MaroonFlounder
06-10-2020, 09:27 PM
What is slot $$ for early 2nd round?

What amount is Ginn looking for?

Commercecomet24
06-10-2020, 09:31 PM
What is slot $$ for early 2nd round?

What amount is Ginn looking for?

A lot lol. In all seriousness theyve been told he'll be a top 10 pick next year and unless someone just offers them a ton he'll be back and shooting for top 10 money next year.

KOdawg1
06-10-2020, 09:32 PM
A lot lol. In all seriousness theyve been told he'll be a top 10 pick next year and unless someone just offers them a ton he'll be back and shooting for top 10 money next year.

DONT GIVE ME HOPE COMMERCE

Commercecomet24
06-10-2020, 09:35 PM
DONT GIVE ME HOPE COMMERCE

The worst thing you can give a man is hope lol.

Commercecomet24
06-10-2020, 09:37 PM
JTs Rehab is going great and he's feeling good and a little ahead of schedule.

AlSwearengen
06-10-2020, 09:40 PM
Commerce, I heard an interview with Lemonis this afternoon and he indicated that JT in fact did have TJ surgery, unless I totally misunderstood it.

Commercecomet24
06-10-2020, 09:55 PM
Commerce, I heard an interview with Lemonis this afternoon and he indicated that JT in fact did have TJ surgery, unless I totally misunderstood it.

Yes he had a partial tear of the ucl but the main problem was nerve displacement so they took care of both at once.

ZedFedder
06-10-2020, 10:09 PM
Lemonis did say, in essence, that JT would be a reliever for us I think.

KOdawg1
06-10-2020, 10:15 PM
Players to watch for rounds 2-5...

Blayze Jordan, JT, Tanner Allen, Cameron Tullar

For next year's sake, I really hope we get JT and TA back. Even in a limited role, JT can be effective, and we really need TA's bat. Not sure who would play RF and replace his production.

I'd be happy if Blayze came but it would be unrealistic to expect him to come in and immediately contribute, plus he's kind of a project. Tullar is projected in round 5 so we'll see

hp22
06-10-2020, 10:45 PM
I hate their final season was cut short for them and us fans. It will be be tough to replace that type of consistency. That said, it was a great day for the MSU baseball program. I think we have 9 1st rounders to play at MSU since 2012. We had 10 all the years prior. Think about the talent coming through here making impacts at the next level. I think college baseball can grow. And our program continues the upward trajectory. I see more elite talent in the dugout next year too.

The 2021 season is going to be interesting. I'm also going to miss watching Foscues approach at the plate. Very business like.

Todd4State
06-10-2020, 11:51 PM
Players to watch for rounds 2-5...

Blayze Jordan, JT, Tanner Allen, Cameron Tullar

For next year's sake, I really hope we get JT and TA back. Even in a limited role, JT can be effective, and we really need TA's bat. Not sure who would play RF and replace his production.

I'd be happy if Blayze came but it would be unrealistic to expect him to come in and immediately contribute, plus he's kind of a project. Tullar is projected in round 5 so we'll see

I don't know. If Blaze came to MSU I think he would definitely be a guy that could DH if not play first if we wanted to move Hatcher. I think he would start day one probably.

Todd4State
06-10-2020, 11:52 PM
I hate their final season was cut short for them and us fans. It will be be tough to replace that type of consistency. That said, it was a great day for the MSU baseball program. I think we have 9 1st rounders to play at MSU since 2012. We had 10 all the years prior. Think about the talent coming through here making impacts at the next level. I think college baseball can grow. And our program continues the upward trajectory. I see more elite talent in the dugout next year too.

The 2021 season is going to be interesting. I'm also going to miss watching Foscues approach at the plate. Very business like.

Good post and very well said. Our best days are ahead of us now that we have some stability with our coaches.

KOdawg1
06-10-2020, 11:54 PM
I don't know. If Blaze came to MSU I think he would definitely be a guy that could DH if not play first if we wanted to move Hatcher. I think he would start day one probably.

He's got to learn how to hit a curveball.

ShotgunDawg
06-11-2020, 12:34 AM
He's got to learn how to hit a curveball.

Blaze would start.

It's not that he can't hit a curveball. It's that there is enough concern that someone doesn't want to pay him $2 mil right now.

Huge difference. He can hit most crappy college curveballs.

TNDawg35
06-11-2020, 12:49 AM
Blaze would start.

It's not that he can't hit a curveball. It's that there is enough concern that someone doesn't want to pay him $2 mil right now.

How many pitchers you think LSU, Ark, Vandy, Florida, hell even Ole Miss runs out there that have crappy curveballs.

Blaze turned heads cause he can hit the ball 500 ft when he was 13. He struggled against a lot of pitching during the showcases. That’s the reason he went from being a top pick to not even in the first round. Well that and he doesn’t really have a position.

Kid needs to come to State, work his ass off and blow up like he can. Instead I believe he is gonna take the Jucu route and try again next yr from all indications.

He could be really special for us if he gets here and works.

KOdawg1
06-11-2020, 12:51 AM
Blaze would start.

Except he won't be facing crappy college breaking balls in the Southeastern Conference.

I'd be pumped if he came in day 1 and was in our starting line-up. I'm just saying you can't expect it. I want him to come to school though bc I think he could answer those questions and improve his stock. Especially if he could show he can handle 3B

Hambone
06-11-2020, 05:34 AM
So basically play him against non SEC teams? He will not see one “crappy curveball” once conference play happens.

Yes, like the previous poster said, he struggled a lot when he was in the elite showcases.

msbulldog
06-11-2020, 06:28 AM
TSUN was not mentioned last night.

ShotgunDawg
06-11-2020, 06:50 AM
How many pitchers you think LSU, Ark, Vandy, Florida, hell even Ole Miss runs out there that have crappy curveballs.

Most of them. He'd be fine.

ShotgunDawg
06-11-2020, 06:50 AM
Except he won't be facing crappy college breaking balls in the Southeastern Conference.

I'd be pumped if he came in day 1 and was in our starting line-up. I'm just saying you can't expect it. I want him to come to school though bc I think he could answer those questions and improve his stock. Especially if he could show he can handle 3B

Sigh

ShotgunDawg
06-11-2020, 06:51 AM
So basically play him against non SEC teams? He will not see one “crappy curveball” once conference play happens.

Yes, like the previous poster said, he struggled a lot when he was in the elite showcases.

Sigh...

basedog
06-11-2020, 07:23 AM
This is just my opinion, but IF i am Ginn, I'd probably take the money. JT, unfortunately injuries have curtailed his progress as a pitcher, now with rumor he will be projected as a reliver if he is able to pitch next year and seems to be a gamble for his future. I'm all for the kid coming to Msu, but it seems it's a big gamble coming back to Msu. I wish him all the best and I surely hope he makes a complete recovery and be the pitcher that his potential seems to be when healthy.
I don't think I would pass up 7 figure money this time, especially after having surgery, just saying.

MetEdDawg
06-11-2020, 07:33 AM
This is just my opinion, but IF i am Ginn, I'd probably take the money. JT, unfortunately injuries have curtailed his progress as a pitcher, now with rumor he will be projected as a reliver if he is able to pitch next year and seems to be a gamble for his future. I'm all for the kid coming to Msu, but it seems it's a big gamble coming back to Msu. I wish him all the best and I surely hope he makes a complete recovery and be the pitcher that his potential seems to be when healthy.
I don't think I would pass up 7 figure money this time, especially after having surgery, just saying.

The only thing now is that if he gets a 7 figure bonus, the way this year's rules are set up, he won't see all of it until July 1 of 2022. Teams are paying 10% this year, 50% of remaining by July 1 next year, and rest by July 2022.

That, coupled with the questions surrounding the long term viability of some of the minor leagues would have me seriously considering coming back to school.

MaroonFlounder
06-11-2020, 07:50 AM
Sigh...

Keep sighing.

The only time he would see a crappy curveball in SEC play would be on a Sunday when the opposing team is just simply out of pitching.

AlSwearengen
06-11-2020, 08:23 AM
I think with Blaze, you get him on campus and he works with Geau and sees our pitchers every day, he will likely adjust pretty quickly.

There were a lot of concerns about our catcher and his hitting but he got onto campus and the coaches were pleasantly surprised with it.

smootness
06-11-2020, 08:35 AM
Keep sighing.

The only time he would see a crappy curveball in SEC play would be on a Sunday when the opposing team is just simply out of pitching.

There's a difference between a crappy pro curveball and a crappy college curveball. There are plenty of SEC pitchers with good curveballs, even in relation to pro pitchers, but there are also plenty that don't have them.

And no one is saying he won't struggle to some degree with good college pitchers, just that he won't struggle so much that he can't start for us. We've had plenty of starters, even good hitters, who struggled at times and K'd a lot. Maybe he's one of those. But he would certainly have the opportunity to start for us.

The Federalist Engineer
06-11-2020, 08:50 AM
Keep sighing.

With 50-Man rosters SEC wont be out of pitching in 2021. We might want to play 4 games per weekend. The 4th game by gentleman's agreement should be all Freshmen or players that did not participate in Games 1, 2, and 3.

Yeah, stupid idea. It would mess up the RPI calculations.

basedog
06-11-2020, 08:53 AM
Three things about Jordan, 1) Is his age which is a positive for growth or improvement. 2) Is his foot speed, that is somewhat a negative but not as important in MLB as in NFL or NBA. 3) What position, 1st base or 3rd base, don' think he can play the outfield but I really don't know.

He probably does need another year of growth and better coaching for a few years.

He shall see about Jordan and Ginn today, they may have some tough decisions or maybe they already know.

HoopsDawg
06-11-2020, 08:57 AM

Blaze would definitely start. He can play 3B, 1B, DH, and even LF. He has a strong arm. We are talking about an elite power tool. He reclassified. Just needs AB's.

ShotgunDawg
06-11-2020, 09:13 AM
Keep sighing.

You're not understanding the magnitude of his issue.

He can hit a CB... he just doesn't hit them at a level yet that would make a team feel comfortable giving him $2 mil. He'll be fine in college baseball

ShotgunDawg
06-11-2020, 09:13 AM
Blaze would definitely start. He can play 3B, 1B, DH, and even LF. He has a strong arm. We are talking about an elite power tool. He reclassified. Just needs AB's.

he can't play 3rd, but yes, he'd start & hit a bunch of HRs

Commercecomet24
06-11-2020, 09:15 AM
You're not understanding the magnitude of his issue.

He can hit a CB... he just doesn't hit them at a level yet that would make a team feel comfortable giving him $2 mil. He'll be fine in college baseball

This. It may take the kid a little time to adjust to SEC pitching, but he has the tools if he puts in the proper work.

HoopsDawg
06-11-2020, 09:21 AM
he can't play 3rd, but yes, he'd start & hit a bunch of HRs

Agree to disagree. He has the arm, 92 mph fastball. He has the athleticism now that he has changed his body. He has a very good glove. He's worked hard on his defense.

KOdawg1
06-11-2020, 09:37 AM
Sigh

Spring a leak?

Commercecomet24
06-11-2020, 10:45 AM
Spring a leak?

Now that's funny! Have some rep!

PMDawg
06-11-2020, 10:56 AM
Sigh

Sigh

Cowboydawg
06-11-2020, 11:11 AM
This Blaze Jordan ?can not hit a curve ball? is being blown way out of proportion. Reclassifying ended up backfiring on him. You are talking about a kid that did not get a JR or SR season of baseball because he reclassified and Covid. Basically the last time he was seen facing elite curveballs was just after his sophomore season. He needed this summer in front of scouts to get back in the first round. If he comes to State, he will be an immediate impact starter. Based on the results of last nights draft it shows going to college pays off. And yes he is athletic enough to play 3rd.

Captain Falcon
06-11-2020, 11:22 AM
Blaze is in kind of a weird position being only 17. If he decides to come to State he would have to stay for three years, he wouldn't be old enough to get drafted after two like Ginn. So that makes you worry some that he might decide to take the JUCO route and try to re-enter the draft next year.

I'm sure it all depends on what his number is and where he gets drafted.

Commercecomet24
06-11-2020, 11:24 AM
This is all Blaze needs to do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY0L-bcncXA

Todd4State
06-11-2020, 11:42 AM

People on Genespage-

I just hope he finds Jesus!

Todd4State
06-11-2020, 11:45 AM
Blaze is in kind of a weird position being only 17. If he decides to come to State he would have to stay for three years, he wouldn't be old enough to get drafted after two like Ginn. So that makes you worry some that he might decide to take the JUCO route and try to re-enter the draft next year.

I'm sure it all depends on what his number is and where he gets drafted.

Anyone that goes the JUCO route to get in the draft early isn't paying attention to the draft and baseball landscape.

You're better off playing in the SEC for three years financially and professionally.

Commercecomet24
06-11-2020, 11:53 AM
People on Genespage-

Awesome! Have some rep!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Todd4State again.

msbulldog
06-11-2020, 12:04 PM

I love that movie, probably have watched it a half a dozen times. +1

Commercecomet24
06-11-2020, 12:12 PM
I love that movie, probably have watched it a half a dozen times. +1

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to msbulldog again.

TNDawg35
06-11-2020, 12:36 PM
People on Genespage-

Are you telling me Jesus Christ can’t hit a curveball??

hp22
06-11-2020, 12:58 PM
Hey bartender, jobu needs a refill!

Harris is one of the great side characters of all time

ScoobaDawg
06-11-2020, 04:51 PM
Ginn picked at 52 by the mets...

MetEdDawg
06-11-2020, 04:56 PM
Ginn picked at 52 by the mets...

Mets have to think they can sign him. You don't draft a draft eligible sophomore who's already turned down money like Ginn in the first half of round 2 of a 5 round draft unless you feel confident you can sign him.

ScoobaDawg
06-11-2020, 05:00 PM
Mets have to think they can sign him. You don't draft a draft eligible sophomore who's already turned down money like Ginn in the first half of round 2 of a 5 round draft unless you feel confident you can sign him.

Evidently they feel they can save money on their 1st round pick to throw at him. We will see.. Hope we can keep him.

MetEdDawg
06-11-2020, 05:12 PM
Evidently they feel they can save money on their 1st round pick to throw at him. We will see.. Hope we can keep him.

Mets have 7.17 million in slot money and the value of Ginn's spot is 1.4 million.

The value of their 1st round slot is 3.3 million. High school kid, so they probably think they they can get that number below $3 million.

I have to think that they think if they can get Ginn a little over $2 million, he would jump.

maroonmania
06-11-2020, 05:26 PM
Mets have 7.17 million in slot money and the value of Ginn's spot is 1.4 million.

The value of their 1st round slot is 3.3 million. High school kid, so they probably think they they can get that number below $3 million.

I have to think that they think if they can get Ginn a little over $2 million, he would jump.

Well, if he can pick up 2 mil or so on an arm that's injured and without him even showing that the arm is back and healthy then I guess you couldn't blame him for taking it and moving on. Of course, if he does, in typical MSU fashion, we get our first and only 1st rounder to campus and, if he signs now, all we will get is one season out of him. And the last half of that one season he wasn't really healthy. If it weren't for bad luck....

msbulldog
06-11-2020, 05:42 PM
I'm thankful that he gave us what he did. It will show the value of high draft picks coming to MSU and still getting big money. I wish him much luck in his career.

HoopsDawg
06-11-2020, 05:54 PM
I'm thankful that he gave us what he did. It will show the value of high draft picks coming to MSU and still getting big money. I wish him much luck in his career.

I'm happy for him. He's going to sign. Hopefully, it's for around 2 million which will mean he didn't give up any money and he can rehab his arm as a pro. Pretty cool that he came to MSU.

ZedFedder
06-11-2020, 05:58 PM
Shoutout to JT!

TNDawg35
06-11-2020, 05:59 PM
Servideo (OM SS) went in 3rd. Kendell Rogers was pumping as a 1st rounder yest on the little live draft thing they were doing... ����

Coach34
06-11-2020, 06:01 PM
Ginn will sign. He wouldnt be much of a factor in the Spring anyway- he probably wouldnt even pitch before April. He has to take the money and let the Mets rehab him

KOdawg1
06-11-2020, 06:03 PM
Servideo (OM SS) went in 3rd. Kendell Rogers was pumping as a 1st rounder yest on the little live draft thing they were doing... ����

Good. Need Keenan to go too. If we're going to lose 2 of our best hitters, I hope they lose 2 of their's too.

msbulldog
06-11-2020, 06:13 PM
Good. Need Keenan to go too. If we're going to lose 2 of our best hitters, I hope they lose 2 of their's too.

Just need him to drop to the 5th, so recruits can see we have a better draft ability record.

maroonmania
06-11-2020, 06:17 PM

Ginn will always be one of my favorite Bulldogs. Not many folks would pass up roughly 2.3 million dollars to go play for the college team they love. Ginn did that and we knew with him coming in it was a 2 year deal. Just bad luck for us that the injury kept him from being the stud he could have been in college. For the first month or two of his FR year we got a glimpse of what he could have been had he stayed healthy. Of course we would have lost his SO year even without the injury due to COVID-19.

HoopsDawg
06-11-2020, 06:44 PM
Blaze 3rd round to the Red Sox. Gotta believe he's going to sign. Hopefully, that's the last of ours we are losing.

Mobile Bay
06-11-2020, 06:44 PM
People on Genespage-

Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?

KOdawg1
06-11-2020, 06:47 PM
There goes Blayze. 89th overall to the Red Sox.

Need to keep TA. We'll have pitching for days next year, but we need hitters

TNDawg35
06-11-2020, 06:47 PM
Blaze 3rd round to the Red Sox. Gotta believe he's going to sign. Hopefully, that's the last of ours we are losing.

He would be stupid to sign there. He was suppose to be a top ten pick at one point. He could be if he came to state and worked on his hitting. Dude can mash the long ball, but he needs fine running and finding a spot he can show the majors he can play everyday...

maroonmania
06-11-2020, 07:01 PM
He would be stupid to sign there. He was suppose to be a top ten pick at one point. He could be if he came to state and worked on his hitting. Dude can mash the long ball, but he needs fine running and finding a spot he can show the majors he can play everyday...

Not sure if he would be stupid but he would be signing for WAY under his original asking price. Any kid though that has a big draft party when he is almost certainly not going first round sounds like someone who is pretty infatuated with going pro though.

KOdawg1
06-11-2020, 07:04 PM
Not sure if he would be stupid but he would be signing for WAY under his original asking price. Any kid though that has a big draft party when he is almost certainly not going first round sounds like someone who is pretty infatuated with going pro though.
Yep. Blayze didn't reclassify to play 3 years of college.

Bdawg
06-11-2020, 08:04 PM
If Blaze can play 3 years of college ball and become a top pick, instead of signing for 1 mil (just guessing here) now or 4 mil in three years, it would basically be playing college ball for about 1 mil a year. And get good SEC coaching and a college experience in the process. Not a bad gig IMO.

HoopsDawg
06-11-2020, 08:39 PM
If Blaze can play 3 years of college ball and become a top pick, instead of signing for 1 mil (just guessing here) now or 4 mil in three years, it would basically be playing college ball for about 1 mil a year. And get good SEC coaching and a college experience in the process. Not a bad gig IMO.

Time value of money + he may be thinking he can get to the majors in 3-4 years.

Todd4State
06-11-2020, 08:55 PM

Yeah. They all think that. Reality is a little different for people not named Mike Trout or Bryce Harper.

Coach34
06-11-2020, 08:59 PM
Blaze is gone. Accept that

The Federalist Engineer
06-11-2020, 09:27 PM

Best of luck to him, but he seems to need College, SEC, and Cape Cod

Glad to have Kellum Clark and acknowledge Blaze is gone

HoopsDawg
06-11-2020, 09:41 PM
Best of luck to him, but he seems to need College, SEC, and Cape Cod

Glad to have Kellum Clark and acknowledge Blaze is gone

Blaze has been thinking about MLB since he was 13. We have been very fortunate this draft. Haven't really lost anyone. Blaze and Hendrick were never coming. Ginn wouldn't have pitched much if he stayed. And we expected/hoped Foscue and Westy to be drafted-that's what you hope for with Juniors.

KOdawg1
06-11-2020, 09:49 PM
Tanner Allen and the rest of our high school signees go undrafted.

The Federalist Engineer
06-11-2020, 09:51 PM
Welp draft over - no surprises. We have an NC quality pitching staff for 2021

Just need some folks to step up replace the Foscue amd Westy production

Bdawg
06-11-2020, 09:52 PM

I get what your saying. But kid is only 17 and may want a college experience and hit the draft as a top pick at 20.

HoopsDawg
06-11-2020, 09:56 PM
I get what your saying. But kid is only 17 and may want a college experience and hit the draft as a top pick at 20.

He doesn't. He wants to start playing professionally.

BiscuitEater
06-12-2020, 10:13 AM
He doesn't. He wants to start playing professionally.

So, like when will he get to even practice with a baseball team?

maroonmania
06-12-2020, 10:36 AM

I will never accept it. I still haven't accepted that Kirk Presley is gone.****

The Federalist Engineer
06-12-2020, 11:25 AM
I will never accept it. I still haven't accepted that Kirk Presley is gone.****

Maybe Kirk wants to run Leach's Air Raid, he still has football eligibility ***

But having Dubose and Presley in the same mid-90's pitching staff would have given us a better shot at the NC that was a bridge-too-far for those clubs. Assuming the professional injury would not also have occurred in Starkville.

We'll see how Blaze does in A-ball.

Todd4State
06-12-2020, 07:46 PM
Maybe Kirk wants to run Leach's Air Raid, he still has football eligibility ***

But having Dubose and Presley in the same mid-90's pitching staff would have given us a better shot at the NC that was a bridge-too-far for those clubs. Assuming the professional injury would not also have occurred in Starkville.

We'll see how Blaze does in A-ball.

Add in Roy Oswalt to that rotation.