PDA

View Full Version : Stars and bars will be fired tomorrow, Stennis is the new flag

Bert Stare
06-09-2020, 10:56 PM
Mississippi has a minimum of 84 state representatives willing to vote to change the flag tomorrow. All that is needed is 80 out of the 120 House of Representatives members. There will be no popular vote in November.

To recap: Confederacy will surrender for the second time tomorrow, Stennis is in on Thursday.

BeardoMSU
06-09-2020, 11:07 PM
Lol, I'll believe it when Grover breaks the news.*

Maroonthirteen
06-09-2020, 11:14 PM
Head Coach Napier should be pleased.

Commercecomet24
06-09-2020, 11:20 PM
Oh no not this Bert Stare stuff again! Billy Napier will be next governor lol

SmokeyDawg
06-09-2020, 11:24 PM
Honestly the current flag feels very ole missish to me. Like hanging a co-sec western division champs or a participation trophy while claiming a championship.

Not sure I have access to the political thread, but I hope it's fun!

crackerjax
06-09-2020, 11:44 PM
Mississippi has a minimum of 84 state senators willing to vote to change the flag tomorrow. All that is needed is 80 out of the 120 senators. There will be no popular vote in November.

To recap: Confederacy will surrender for the second time tomorrow, Stennis is in on Thursday.

Mississippi does not have 84 state senators. FWIW.

dantheman4248
06-09-2020, 11:45 PM
I'll allow it just so we can host championships. The only thing the stars and bars ever represented to me was them good ol Duke boys.

BeardoMSU
06-10-2020, 12:12 AM
Honestly the current flag feels very ole missish to me. Like hanging a co-sec western division champs or a participation trophy while claiming a championship.

Not sure I have access to the political thread, but I hope it's fun!

It's a losers flag; its a celebration of losing, sadly. Actually, its even worse than that....it was adopted in the 1890's, during the height of reconstruction anger, Jim Crow, and Lost Cause revisionism....in football terms, it would be like hanging a banner for a 0-12 season 30 years after the fact, insisting that every game was lost because the refs cheated, the other teams cheated, and you were just too proud to play by their rules. And by hanging said banner, though it was intended to be an embarrassment and reminder to everyone of how wronged you were, it instead affirms how ****ing retarded, small, and delusional you in fact are to the rest of the world...

Todd4State
06-10-2020, 12:48 AM
This is ALL I will say about the Mississippi flag. Mississippi State is the largest school in Mississippi. And one thing I have noticed is some schools like Arkansas when their football team runs out they run out with the state flag. With the Mississippi flag I don't feel like we can do that because the current one looks a lot like Ole Miss. It would be kind of like Alabama running out with an Auburn eagle or something. It would be cool if there was a state flag that MSU could run out with our football team that didn't look so Ole Miss-ish.

TimberBeast
06-10-2020, 12:57 AM
Like I said, the nutjobs have taken over the site and it?s just done. Sad.

ScoobaDawg
06-10-2020, 02:33 AM
Like I said, the nutjobs have taken over the site and it?s just done. Sad.

What's sad about losing a racist flag???

Bert Stare
06-10-2020, 05:54 AM
Mississippi does not have 84 state senators. FWIW. I corrected the wording. Thanks for the help.

Saltydog
06-10-2020, 07:43 AM
Didn't you promise not to post again if you were wrong the last time?

fader2103
06-10-2020, 07:48 AM
You do realize that the Stars and Bars is not the Confederate flag that we think of? It is 7 stars in a circle on a blue background in the upper left hand corner with red white and red bars.

PMDawg
06-10-2020, 07:55 AM
I've never had strong feelings about it one way or the other, other than I usually have a very strong dislike for anyone who has strong feelings about it one way or the other.

Add to that, it's 2020 and I can agree that it's probably long overdue.

DawgNsuds
06-10-2020, 08:11 AM
I've often said that this is something that Bully Bloc should have gotten behind for some time now. We snuck out to play in the integrated NCAA's, we have the Grant Presidential library, this would just be one more thing in that progression that separates us from the University in this state that wraps itself in that era.

Bert Stare
06-10-2020, 08:21 AM
IHL is low key giving the go ahead on June 18 or 19 to finally move the confederate monument at Ole Miss away from sight and into the backlot cemetery on campus. Apparently, this is being pushed hard by Lane Kiffin, as this is being used against him in recruiting kids to Ole Miss. If you had Lane Kiffin listed as the catalyst for destroying the confederacy at Ole Miss, then come claim your prize.

coastratdog
06-10-2020, 08:27 AM
It's a losers flag; its a celebration of losing, sadly. Actually, its even worse than that....it was adopted in the 1890's, during the height of reconstruction anger, Jim Crow, and Lost Cause revisionism....in football terms, it would be like hanging a banner for a 0-12 season 30 years after the fact, insisting that every game was lost because the refs cheated, the other teams cheated, and you were just too proud to play by their rules. And by hanging said banner, though it was intended to be an embarrassment and reminder to everyone of how wronged you were, it instead affirms how ****ing retarded, small, and delusional you in fact are to the rest of the world...

Well said. ButI still think it should be a majority vote of the people.

fader2103
06-10-2020, 08:30 AM
I do like the current flag, but not opposed to changing it. I am not a big fan of the Stennis flag. I think we could do something with one single star on a blue background in the upper left hand corner and having a 3 bars: Red, white and blue

BrunswickDawg
06-10-2020, 08:38 AM
I do like the current flag, but not opposed to changing it. I am not a big fan of the Stennis flag. I think we could do something with the Bonnie flag having that in the upper left hand corner and having a 3 bars: Red, white and blue

So, you want to go from a flag inspired by the Confederate battle flag, to a flag that was raised over the State Capitol on the night they seceded from the Union?

he Bonnie Blue Flag resurfaced in Mississippi in 1861 when the state seceded from the Union and declared itself a sovereign and independent state. When the Secession Convention, which was meeting in the House chamber in the Mississippi capitol, approved the Ordinance of Secession on January 9, 1861, spectators in the balcony handed a Bonnie Blue Flag down to the delegates on the floor.

The appearance of that famous banner prompted a tumultuous response. Later that night, residents of Jackson paraded through the streets under the blue banner bearing a single white star. Harry McCarthy, a singer and playwright who observed the parade, was inspired to write The Bonnie Blue Flag, which, after Dixie, was the most popular song in the Confederacy.9 http://mshistorynow.mdah.state.ms.us/articles/105/flags-over-mississippi

SheltonChoked
06-10-2020, 08:43 AM
I do like the current flag, but not opposed to changing it. I am not a big fan of the Stennis flag. I think we could do something with the Bonnie flag having that in the upper left hand corner and having a 3 bars: Red, white and blue
Was a Swastika was too" on the nose" for you?

The Bonnie Flag?

You wish to replace the Battle flag of the Army of North Virginia, with the flag each of the States the seceded first flew over the state houses....

You realize the point is to remove hate symbols from the state flag, correct? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bonnie_Blue_Flag

Jack Lambert
06-10-2020, 08:57 AM
Mississippi has a minimum of 84 state representatives willing to vote to change the flag tomorrow. All that is needed is 80 out of the 120 House of Representatives members. There will be no popular vote in November.

They don't have the guts to vote it away. They will at most vote to put on the ballot.

Duckdog
06-10-2020, 09:06 AM
The people of ms should vote on the issue

dantheman4248
06-10-2020, 09:09 AM

They did. They voted in representatives who will help make decisions on how represent ourselves. If they've determined at this juncture that it's finally time for a change then they are doing their job to make sure Mississippi gets represented well.

SheltonChoked
06-10-2020, 09:14 AM

Why?

The legislature chose the flag in 1861(twice), and in 1894, why not today?

Bert Stare
06-10-2020, 09:39 AM
They don't have the guts to vote it away. They will at most vote to put on the ballot.

Getting word that even Tate Reeves does not want to put this on the ballot for popular vote. It would be a very close vote tally, and he would have be the scapegoat if the vote went in favor of the racists. The media shit storm of us voting as a population to keep the flag would hurt business for years to come.

He has basically said to Philip Gunn that if he can get the votes in the house that he will not stand in the way of changing the flag, nor push for a vote by the population. Delbert and Gunn are gonna make this happen today.

Dawg2003
06-10-2020, 10:09 AM
Putting it to a popular vote would be bad for our state. You run the risk of people voting to keep the flag, which is really bad PR.

Bdawg
06-10-2020, 10:14 AM
I really don't care either way on the matter. If people consider it racist, fine, change it, just so long as people don't politicize the next "thing" and look for something to be racist and it really not be there. I'm really not the type to cower down to people who call things racist that really aren't(not referencing the flag because I could see where it may upset some people). So if changing the flag will truly help racial issues, then go right ahead. Me personally, I don't think it will. I think it's up to actual people making a concerted effort to treat people equally, and people have to stop claiming things are racist when truly they are not. A good example of this to me is the Leach tweet. I don't think in any way, shape or form that Leach was insinuating something racist. But some people want to inject racism into the matter. Until we as a people can see things for the way they actually are, not try to inject racism when it's not called for and people truly treat others with respect, we will never get over racism. Ever.
Also, if the business aspect is being held back by the flag(like sports championships and post season play) then it needs to be changed for those reasons as well.

Liverpooldawg
06-10-2020, 10:20 AM
This is one case where leaders need to lead. Get it done NOW.

msstatelp1
06-10-2020, 10:31 AM
Getting word that even Tate Reeves does not want to put this on the ballot for popular vote. It would be a very close vote tally, and he would have be the scapegoat if the vote went in favor of the racists. The media shit storm of us voting as a population to keep the flag would hurt business for years to come.

He has basically said to Philip Gunn that if he can get the votes in the house that he will not stand in the way of changing the flag, nor push for a vote by the population. Delbert and Gunn are gonna make this happen today.

Has Reeves changed his mind? The few interviews I seen where it was discussed he wanted people to vote on it. I might begin to respect him a little if he grows a pair and does sign the bill if it passes.

SheltonChoked
06-10-2020, 10:39 AM
I really don't care either way on the matter. If people consider it racist, fine, change it, just so long as people don't politicize the next "thing" and look for something to be racist and it really not be there. I'm really not the type to cower down to people who call things racist that really aren't(not referencing the flag because I could see where it may upset some people). So if changing the flag will truly help racial issues, then go right ahead. Me personally, I don't think it will. I think it's up to actual people making a concerted effort to treat people equally, and people have to stop claiming things are racist when truly they are not. A good example of this to me is the Leach tweet. I don't think in any way, shape or form that Leach was insinuating something racist. But some people want to inject racism into the matter. Until we as a people can see things for the way they actually are, not try to inject racism when it's not called for and people truly treat others with respect, we will never get over racism. Ever.
Also, if the business aspect is being held back by the flag(like sports championships and post season play) then it needs to be changed for those reasons as well.

How would you not consider the Battle flag of those that fought to continue Chattel Slavery, which is in fact the top reason listed in the Mississippi Secession Declaration, NOT Racist?

You don't have to "look for reason the flag is a racist symbol", it was created to be a Symbol of racists.

Bert Stare
06-10-2020, 10:40 AM
Has Reeves changed his mind? The few interviews I seen where it was discussed he wanted people to vote on it. I might begin to respect him a little if he grows a pair and does sign the bill if it passes.

He is a politician, so he is reading the tea leaves on this one. This is one he is willing to concede, mainly because Cindy Hyde Smith is losing ground to Espy, and this is a flashpoint where they can both act like they care about minorities.

chef dixon
06-10-2020, 10:43 AM
There is no controversy. Anything that is even a minor representation of past hatred, non-inclusion, and racism should be removed from modern society. History of that sort shouldn't be respected in any form. There is a long list of such things but discussing it would probably accelerate the locking of this thread.

dantheman4248
06-10-2020, 10:47 AM
Pretty simple. We don't support losers. It's one thing to outlaw the flag entirely. (I get why Germany did it with Nazis, but I don't like that slippery slope in that manner. Not with the way government in this country likes to play.) It's another to say that we simply are not supporting this in any capacity. We should not be supporting this flag like that.

BeardoMSU
06-10-2020, 10:49 AM

The current flag wasn't voted on, btw. The state just did it.

Bdawg
06-10-2020, 11:05 AM
How would you not consider the Battle flag of those that fought to continue Chattel Slavery, which is in fact the top reason listed in the Mississippi Secession Declaration, NOT Racist?

You don't have to "look for reason the flag is a racist symbol", it was created to be a Symbol of racists.

I think you need to go back and read my post. You misquoted me. I didn't say the flag wasn't racist. I was speaking of other issues that people say are racist but are not.

fishwater99
06-10-2020, 11:10 AM
Tate won't sign the bill.

Quaoarsking
06-10-2020, 11:14 AM
From a Republican strategic perspective, it seems pretty dangerous to put it on the ballot this November, as it forces Trump to take a position, which is a no-win scenario for him: either back the old one and lose WI/MI/PA/OH (and thus the election), or back the new one and hurt base enthusiasm, especially in swing states like GA/FL/NC. Why introduce a wedge issue that will split your base into two passionate camps?

TrapGame
06-10-2020, 11:15 AM
It's time to change the flag. I say this as a staunch conservative. It's time. The Stennis flag is fine. I could think of better flags that represent the state, but the Stennis one will do.

Quaoarsking
06-10-2020, 11:18 AM

It will take a vetoproof majority just to get this on the legislative agenda, given the calendar. (According to the Mississippi Today article)

ETA: https://mississippitoday.org/2020/06/09/bipartisan-group-of-lawmakers-with-speaker-gunns-blessing-pushes-to-change-mississippi-state-flag/

SheltonChoked
06-10-2020, 11:21 AM
I think you need to go back and read my post. You misquoted me. I didn't say the flag wasn't racist. I was speaking of other issues that people say are racist but are not.

I did not edit your quote.
You said:

If people consider it racist, fine, change it, just so long as people don't politicize the next "thing" and look for something to be racist and it really not be there.

I just asked how you would consider the flag not racist.

Since you said "some people consider it racist", and did not include yourself. If you do think it is racist, you can say so. But, so far, you have not.

dantheman4248
06-10-2020, 11:22 AM
From a Republican strategic perspective, it seems pretty dangerous to put it on the ballot this November, as it forces Trump to take a position, which is a no-win scenario for him: either back the old one and lose WI/MI/PA/OH (and thus the election), or back the new one and hurt base enthusiasm, especially in swing states like GA/FL/NC. Why introduce a wedge issue that will split your base into two passionate camps?

The only states he needs to worry about are MN/WI/MI/PA/FL. Maybe AZ. Any other states that swing back either way this go around signal a lost cause. It would be smart of republicans to push through this change and have trump support. He only needs to win FL or 2 of the midwest states listed to keep the presidency. The smart move is to pass this through and have Trump support it. The way this year is going for him, the flag will change and he'll call Tate Reeves a loser. Come up with some stupid nickname. And only drive support down across the board for himself.

You would think as we get closer to election and his odds are now that of an underdog he would play smarter. Biden is officially -105 and Trump is +100. First time Biden is favored over Trump. Almost like what he has been doing isn't working in his favor.

SheltonChoked
06-10-2020, 11:24 AM

If Hoseman and Gunn get the votes to open a session, he'd be politically stupid to veto.

Duckdog
06-10-2020, 11:25 AM
Yes it was 20 years ago. The only reason most of yall dont want a vote is because you fear bot getting what you want which os complete horseshit. To be honest I dont care what the flag looks like. I do have a problem with the government making decisions for me.

WinningIsRelentless
06-10-2020, 11:32 AM
Yes it was 20 years ago. The only reason most of yall dont want a vote is because you fear bot getting what you want which os complete horseshit. To be honest I dont care what the flag looks like. I do have a problem with the government making decisions for me.

They aren?t making a decision for you here; it would be made for the state.

dantheman4248
06-10-2020, 11:37 AM

What I want in Mississippi to not look like a "bunch of inbred racist idiots".

The fear here is that we would double down on our own stupidity. Again, you elect representatives to represent your state. You trust them to do the job because they are more qualified in it. That's why you voted them in. They are making a decision on how we want to represent Mississippi as a state.

Crying you don't have a say in the matter is like your family hiring a contractor to build multiple houses and being mad that you aren't voting on what is the best way to put up the frame of one of the houses. You hired the guy to do his job. Let him do it.

3rdGen
06-10-2020, 11:42 AM
Maybe the only good thing to come from 2020. It always reminded me of the landbearsharkrebals. I like the new design. Classy if you ask me. Time to move on.

confucius say
06-10-2020, 12:58 PM
I'm all for changing the flag, but do any of you even know what the stars on the stennis flag stand for? Not the stars on the outside (which represent the states that came before MS), but the center star, which is intended to make the stennis flag an inverted Bonnie blue flag.

shoeless joe
06-10-2020, 01:06 PM
1. I’m perfectly fine with changing the flag. From a PR standpoint it’d be a great move.

2. Funny that folks don’t want the people to vote because they think it wouldn’t pass...but do think elected officials would pass it. To me that goes against what they were elected for. (I think with a vote it’d have a good chance to pass)

3. This isn’t a one time deal. Once the flag is gone something else will come up as the new focus to label non biased folks as racist. But i still support changing it.

BeardoMSU
06-10-2020, 01:09 PM
I'm all for changing the flag, but do any of you even know what the stars on the stennis flag stand for? Not the stars on the outside (which represent the states that came before MS), but the center star, which is intended to make the stennis flag an inverted Bonnie blue flag.

Which is why they need to come up with something totally new, completely removed from the Confederacy. Perhaps something that celebrates the blues, magnolia, hospitality, etc.? Lots of options out there that would be cool.

SheltonChoked
06-10-2020, 01:10 PM

The first flag of Mississippi was selected by the legislature in 1861

The Second flag of Mississippi was selected by the legislature in 1861

The Third and current flag of Mississippi was selected by the legislature in 1894.

In 2001, the Mississippi Legislature were cowards and put it to a public referendum...

BeardoMSU
06-10-2020, 01:12 PM
The first flag of Mississippi was selected by the legislature in 1861

The Second flag of Mississippi was selected by the legislature in 1861

The Third and current flag of Mississippi was selected by the legislature in 1894.

In 2001, the Mississippi Legislature were cowards and put it to a public [and rigged] referendum...

Added just a bit, but spot on.

SheltonChoked
06-10-2020, 01:19 PM
Added just a bit, but spot on.

Increased the accuracy

Quaoarsking
06-10-2020, 01:19 PM

The inverted Bonnie Blue symbolizes how we're moving on from the mistakes from our past and doing the opposite now, or at least that's how I've heard it.

RezDog7
06-10-2020, 01:36 PM
It's time to change the flag. I say this as a staunch conservative. It's time. The Stennis flag is fine. I could think of better flags that represent the state, but the Stennis one will do.

I'm with you on this. Let's just rip the band aid off and do it. I've never cared one way or the other to be honest. The sooner we replace it the sooner the left can find something else that offends them.

R2Dawg
06-10-2020, 01:47 PM
What's sad about losing a racist flag???

Just to clarify. First I don't really care what the flag is, it doesn't matter for the most part.

A flag is a thing and can't be racist. Getting rid of a flag or statue or whatever changes nothing about actual racism but does maybe change a perceived racism. Perceived racism is a big problem so from there it may help some things but based on past history I doubt it.

Lastly the resistance to change the flag is more about who is in charge or resisting someone else telling others what to do, think, etc. Powerplay if you will. I could say more but it is a waste of time.

3rdGen
06-10-2020, 01:52 PM
The inverted Bonnie Blue symbolizes how we're moving on from the mistakes from our past and doing the opposite now, or at least that's how I've heard it.

After self-study in vexillology ? the art of flag design ? and a lot of erasing, Stennis settled on the circle-star design. The 20 stars represent Mississippi?s entry into the union as the 20th state; the blue star on the white background is an inversion of the white star on a blue field of ?Bonnie Blue Flag,? which was waved when the state seceded.
?I inverted it because I don?t celebrate that dark moment in our history, but it has to be acknowledged,? she said. Words from the mouth of the designer.

Somebody give this man a dog biscuit!

R2Dawg
06-10-2020, 01:53 PM
1. I’m perfectly fine with changing the flag. From a PR standpoint it’d be a great move.

2. Funny that folks don’t want the people to vote because they think it wouldn’t pass...but do think elected officials would pass it. To me that goes against what they were elected for. (I think with a vote it’d have a good chance to pass)

3. This isn’t a one time deal. Once the flag is gone something else will come up as the new focus to label non biased folks as racist. But i still support changing it.

I pretty much agree with you, especially point 2. The people's voice should be heard, period. On 3 as well, go ahead and change it, I don't care but it will not change anything. Our country is doomed at this point with the kind of thinking that is driving each move anyway. To just exist anymore is racist. There is no more logic anymore.

BrunswickDawg
06-10-2020, 01:57 PM
After self-study in vexillology ? the art of flag design ? and a lot of erasing, Stennis settled on the circle-star design. The 20 stars represent Mississippi?s entry into the union as the 20th state; the blue star on the white background is an inversion of the white star on a blue field of ?Bonnie Blue Flag,? which was waved when the state seceded.
?I inverted it because I don?t celebrate that dark moment in our history, but it has to be acknowledged,? she said. Words from the mouth of the designer.

https://media.giphy.com/media/qUlkYKZX6bqvK/giphy.gif

Bdawg
06-10-2020, 02:09 PM
I did not edit your quote.
You said:

I just asked how you would consider the flag not racist.

Since you said "some people consider it racist", and did not include yourself. If you do think it is racist, you can say so. But, so far, you have not.

Sorry but what you put in quotes in your first reply to me was not what I said. Secondly, yes, some people consider it racist and some people don't. I purposely spoke in general terms and chose not to include me on either side. But since you ask, I really don't have an opinion on whether it is racist or not. I'm pretty neutral on the matter. I can see where people would think it's racist. But on the flip side, just because someone(not me for clarity here) may want to keep the flag, that doesn't make them a racist. To me, racism lies in the heart of person. I may be a white person and have a neutral position on the flag, but that doesn't make me racist. I believe in treating everyone with the respect they deserve until they prove to me otherwise. A flag is not going to change who people are. It will only change some people's perception of MS. And that's fine with me. Like I said, I don't care either way. Because until true racists have a change of heart and race baiters, who find racism in everything, have a change of heart, nothing will actually change.

Commercecomet24
06-10-2020, 02:16 PM

I believe all this is extremely accurate.

confucius say
06-10-2020, 02:17 PM

Not sure why she thinks it has to be acknowledged. That will cause issues for some. Need a clean split. Just pick the bird or the tree or the flower and let's roll.

Lord McBuckethead
06-10-2020, 02:17 PM
Now that we have finally fixed the flag issue, can we legalize weed. Everyone deserves to get chill every once in a while without threat of committing a felony.

Lord McBuckethead
06-10-2020, 02:19 PM
I believe all this is extremely accurate.

all extremely accurate and I would also imagine they do not want to put the flag on the ballot because it would be on this November, and they definitely do not want to give certain crowds in Mississippi even more reason to show up to the ballot box.

SheltonChoked
06-10-2020, 02:21 PM
Sorry but what you put in quotes in your first reply to me was not what I said. Secondly, yes, some people consider it racist and some people don't. I purposely spoke in general terms and chose not to include me on either side. But since you ask, I really don't have an opinion on whether it is racist or not. I'm pretty neutral on the matter. I can see where people would think it's racist. But on the flip side, just because someone(not me for clarity here) may want to keep the flag, that doesn't make them a racist. To me, racism lies in the heart of person. I may be a white person and have a neutral position on the flag, but that doesn't make me racist. I believe in treating everyone with the respect they deserve until they prove to me otherwise. A flag is not going to change who people are. It will only change some people's perception of MS. And that's fine with me. Like I said, I don't care either way. Because until true racists have a change of heart and race baiters, who find racism in everything, have a change of heart, nothing will actually change.

Since you clarified that you don't have an opinion, I'll ask again.

How can the flag created by the people that were fighting to preserve chattel slavery, as a means of identifying them in a battle, not be a racist symbol?

You are correct the flag does not make a person racist. Just like an MSU T Shirt does not make you and MSU fan. But IF I see a guy playing baseball in the Maroon 1985 MSU baseball uniform (a uniform made to let everyone know the MSU players from those on the other team), I assume he is an MSU baseball player.

By the same rational, If someone is flying a swastika in their front yard, I assume they are a Nazi and not a a member of the 45th infantry.

Bdawg
06-10-2020, 02:41 PM
Since you clarified that you don't have an opinion, I'll ask again.

How can the flag created by the people that were fighting to preserve chattel slavery, as a means of identifying them in a battle, not be a racist symbol?

You are correct the flag does not make a person racist. Just like an MSU T Shirt does not make you and MSU fan. But IF I see a guy playing baseball in the Maroon 1985 MSU baseball uniform, I assume he is an MSU baseball player.

By the same rational, If someone is flying a swastika in their front yard, I assume they are a Nazi and not a a member of the 45th infantry.

Damn man, are you dense. I'm not drawing a hard line either way. I'm in the middle. The flag doesn't bother me. Maybe because I didn't live in the 1800s nor was I oppressed. I just don't see racial issues in symbols. But I do understand if someone does. And as for your logic on the how the 2 flags you referenced represent people, well, you know what they say about assuming....

Your assumptions are calling me a racist if I fly the MS flag

SheltonChoked
06-10-2020, 03:21 PM
Damn man, are you dense. I'm not drawing a hard line either way. I'm in the middle. The flag doesn't bother me. Maybe because I didn't live in the 1800s nor was I oppressed. I just don't see racial issues in symbols. But I do understand if someone does. And as for your logic on the how the 2 flags you referenced represent people, well, you know what they say about assuming....

Your assumptions are calling me a racist if I fly the MS flag

I'm not calling you a racist. I'm saying that the symbol is a racist symbol. That you choose to ignore the reality of that means you don't mind projecting to others what that symbol means.

I'm trying to have you tell me how the flag is not a racist symbol, since that's what you first said.

You keep saying"you don't see racist issues in symbols". That's fine.

That's not reality. Some items are created as symbols.

You have to know that that's not how the rest of the world sees it.

If I move into a house and my neighbor has "Go Irish" License plates, a fighting leprechaun in his yard, and a big ND flag, I can accurately assume he is a fan of a school in South Bend Indiana, because of what those symbols mean.

monroedawg5646
06-10-2020, 03:39 PM
What if you take the current flag and remove the confederate symbol and replace of with the state seal in blue. Wallah. My opinion, but the Stennis flag is dog shit, and probably won?t pass if taken to a vote. I think a major problem with the vote last time was that the alternative was absolutely terrible.

chef dixon
06-10-2020, 03:56 PM
I don't think the flag should be viewed as just the next thing in a long line of things that people are deciding is racist and offensive. I used to kind of think in that mindset, but have since changed my views. All of these symbols are from an era that was so egregiously bad and inhumane to black people. There's no doubt the ramifications of slavery thru segregation and the civil rights era are still greatly affecting our social structure in this country. Obviously its hard for a lot of people these days to fully accept that because we weren't around to see the worst of it. A lot of people pretty much just see the poverty/crime etc in the black community and think "why don't they just suck it up and make a living like I did?" Well, when the state still uses a confederate symbol on the flag and things are named after racist figures in history, its a pretty sobering reminder as to why things are the way they are. I don't think keeping any of that stuff around helps anyone.

starkvegasdawg
06-10-2020, 04:08 PM
Clarion Ledger has a poll offering about 4 designs. Current state flag has almost 75% of the vote.

Quaoarsking
06-10-2020, 04:10 PM
Not a great day for sources

Hambone
06-10-2020, 04:11 PM
Exactly, that’s why you can’t allow the general public to vote on this. Just change the damn thing

shoeless joe
06-10-2020, 04:40 PM
I don't think the flag should be viewed as just the next thing in a long line of things that people are deciding is racist and offensive. I used to kind of think in that mindset, but have since changed my views. All of these symbols are from an era that was so egregiously bad and inhumane to black people. There's no doubt the ramifications of slavery thru segregation and the civil rights era are still greatly affecting our social structure in this country. Obviously its hard for a lot of people these days to fully accept that because we weren't around to see the worst of it. A lot of people pretty much just see the poverty/crime etc in the black community and think "why don't they just suck it up and make a living like I did?" Well, when the state still uses a confederate symbol on the flag and things are named after racist figures in history, its a pretty sobering reminder as to why things are the way they are. I don't think keeping any of that stuff around helps anyone.

Not to go too far down this rabbit hole BUT I have to address a couple things. I work with poor black kids as well as successful black colleagues and I will say this, each individual has a choice to make about their own success in life. The people I work with will tell you the same thing. Now, if you want to say that for a middle class white person like myself that choice was easier then I’d agree. It is extremely tough for a young black male to choose his own education and success over being accepted by their peers. And to be honest I thing there are a lot of things that go into that other than our flag and what it means to some people. Go to the inner city of pretty much any large metropolitan area and you’re going to see the exact same thing goin on as you see in the heart of the Deep South. So I have a hard time saying that the current south and our current flag are solely to blame. In fact I’d say that the available avenues to success for black kids in particular are vast and highly available to the individuals wanting to take advantage. I could go on but I don’t wanna ruin the thread.

Bdawg
06-10-2020, 04:50 PM
I'm not calling you a racist. I'm saying that the symbol is a racist symbol. That you choose to ignore the reality of that means you don't mind projecting to others what that symbol means.

I'm trying to have you tell me how the flag is not a racist symbol, since that's what you first said.

You keep saying"you don't see racist issues in symbols". That's fine.

That's not reality. Some items are created as symbols.

You have to know that that's not how the rest of the world sees it.

If I move into a house and my neighbor has "Go Irish" License plates, a fighting leprechaun in his yard, and a big ND flag, I can accurately assume he is a fan of a school in South Bend Indiana, because of what those symbols mean.

I guess it's in in the eye of the beholder. To me, if someone is flying a MS flag today, I just think he is a proud Mississippian, not a racist. Just like flying the American flag, to me, means you are a proud American, not a communist. Just like flying a go Irish flag means you are a fan of the Irish, not a drunk Irish a**hole (or any other negative thing you can think of).

So in trying best answer your question from my perspective, people perceive the flag differently. You obviously perceive it as a racist symbol and I told you already that I can agree with that. I just try not to get caught up with inanimate objects being racists. I won't pre-judge anybody about flying the MS flag before meeting them. Now if they flew a KKK flag or a swastika flag like you mentioned earlier( bad comparison by the way), I think these type flags or symbols are more specific and do reveal more about that person. But I guess once again it's in the eye of the beholder.
I think we've had this dialogue enough and if we can't reach common ground, that's ok too.
Just know that I understand if you think the flag has racial undertones. I can agree to that. But if I choose to fly that flag, it doesn't make me a racist. I think our common ground is that we can just change the flag and move on, because like I said in the beginning, it doesn't matter to me if they change it. Anyway, good day sir. God Bless.

Dawg2003
06-10-2020, 05:02 PM
Clarion Ledger has a poll offering about 4 designs. Current state flag has almost 75% of the vote.

The problem with that poll is that the other 3 choices are going to spilt the vote.

BeardoMSU
06-10-2020, 05:06 PM
Even NASCAR is dropping hints...how bout we listen

www.cbssports.com/nascar/news/nascar-bans-confederate-flags-and-removes-guidelines-requiring-standing-for-national-anthem/amp/

SheltonChoked
06-10-2020, 05:22 PM
I guess it's in in the eye of the beholder. To me, if someone is flying a MS flag today, I just think he is a proud Mississippian, not a racist. Just like flying the American flag, to me, means you are a proud American, not a communist. Just like flying a go Irish flag means you are a fan of the Irish, not a drunk Irish a**hole (or any other negative thing you can think of).

So in trying best answer your question from my perspective, people perceive the flag differently. You obviously perceive it as a racist symbol and I told you already that I can agree with that. I just try not to get caught up with inanimate objects being racists. I won't pre-judge anybody about flying the MS flag before meeting them. Now if they flew a KKK flag or a swastika flag like you mentioned earlier( bad comparison by the way), I think these type flags or symbols are more specific and do reveal more about that person. But I guess once again it's in the eye of the beholder.
I think we've had this dialogue enough and if we can't reach common ground, that's ok too.
Just know that I understand if you think the flag has racial undertones. I can agree to that. But if I choose to fly that flag, it doesn't make me a racist. I think our common ground is that we can just change the flag and move on, because like I said in the beginning, it doesn't matter to me if they change it. Anyway, good day sir. God Bless.

I don't mean this rude, but you don't live or travel outside of Mississippi much.

And you are confusing my problem with the canton of the Mississippi flag with the entirety of the flag.

The Canton of the Mississippi state flags is the KKK flag. I used the swastika on purpose as it was not originally a symbol of hate. It's symbolism was distorted by a group that killed millions and thought some races of people inferior.
The confederate battle flag was created as a symbol of hate.

And I'm not calling you a racist, but wouldn't it be nice to fly your state flag without having to defend that point?

chef dixon
06-10-2020, 05:26 PM
Not to go too far down this rabbit hole BUT I have to address a couple things. I work with poor black kids as well as successful black colleagues and I will say this, each individual has a choice to make about their own success in life. The people I work with will tell you the same thing. Now, if you want to say that for a middle class white person like myself that choice was easier then I’d agree. It is extremely tough for a young black male to choose his own education and success over being accepted by their peers. And to be honest I thing there are a lot of things that go into that other than our flag and what it means to some people. Go to the inner city of pretty much any large metropolitan area and you’re going to see the exact same thing goin on as you see in the heart of the Deep South. So I have a hard time saying that the current south and our current flag are solely to blame. In fact I’d say that the available avenues to success for black kids in particular are vast and highly available to the individuals wanting to take advantage. I could go on but I don’t wanna ruin the thread.

Not blaming it solely on the flag and yes you are right it is a nation wide problem not just the South. That's because our entire nation was built on slavery at some point. I'm glad the black people you work with have that viewpoint but the majority of black people would not agree with that. Evidenced by the state of our nation currently. The opportunities in place for black people from a white mans perspective seem like fantastic avenues, but there are still so many things working against them to make it to that point. But also agree it's a deep rabbit hole discussion.

SheltonChoked
06-10-2020, 05:29 PM
The problem with that poll is that No one reads the clarion ledger
FIFY

Minor edit

Bdawg
06-10-2020, 05:49 PM
I don't mean this rude, but you don't live or travel outside of Mississippi much.

And you are confusing my problem with the canton of the Mississippi flag with the entirety of the flag.

The Canton of the Mississippi state flags is the KKK flag. I used the swastika on purpose as it was not originally a symbol of hate. It's symbolism was distorted by a group that killed millions and thought some races of people inferior.
The confederate battle flag was created as a symbol of hate.

And I'm not calling you a racist, but wouldn't it be nice to fly your state flag without having to defend that point?

You don't know how much I travel. Once again... assumptions. And I was just meaning a flag with the actual letters KKK. You also seem to be forgetting the fact that I don't care if they change the flag. I don't have to defend anything either. I know what I feel in my heart and don't have to have you to label me or tell me what I'm am projecting because I don't denounce the flag. Now good day sir
By the way, I'm not standing up for it either. I'm good both ways.

Jack Lambert
06-10-2020, 05:58 PM
What if you take the current flag and remove the confederate symbol and replace of with the state seal in blue. Wallah. My opinion, but the Stennis flag is dog shit, and probably won?t pass if taken to a vote. I think a major problem with the vote last time was that the alternative was absolutely terrible.

Or we can take the first national flag of the confederacy like GA did and put our state seal in the middle. Man those folks are really stupid*****. A good compromise would be the Magnolia Tree flag. The rebel battle flag is gone and we are still representing history.

By the way the Stennis flag is ugly. Give us options.

Commercecomet24
06-10-2020, 06:07 PM

Well said sir!

TrapGame
06-10-2020, 06:39 PM
Or we can take the first national flag of the confederacy like GA did and put our state seal in the middle. Man those folks are really stupid*****. A good compromise would be the Magnolia Tree flag. The rebel battle flag is gone and we are still representing history.

The new flag needs a magnolia. We are the Magnolia state. South Carolina is the Palmetto state and has a palmetto on their flag. It's too easy.

Bdawg
06-10-2020, 06:45 PM

I agree. Stennis sucks. Saw a nice flag on Twitter. Magnolia flower in the middle, stars all around the flower, red vertical bar on one end, blue on the other, and border thinly trimmed in gold. Much better than Stennis to me

DDawg
06-10-2020, 06:57 PM
Yeah I agree the Stennis flag SUCKS. Change ours, so be it but give us some options I dont see why thats the default I do not give a damn that shes the daughter of that old senator. I think people would be alot more interested in something new if it wasnt a black and white decision between our current one and some lame flag that looks like its a default image for a screen print t-shirt you'd find in target just my two cents. Also Id like to see us work in the Mississippi in the font thats used on our welcome signs and everything else, always thought that looked cool.

bostondawg
06-10-2020, 07:27 PM
Please let this be true. Do the right thing, Mississippi. No more loser's flag.

shoeless joe
06-10-2020, 07:59 PM
Wasn’t tunsil smokin weed with the confederate flag in the background? I guess he didn’t care if those college kids were racist as long as they provided him some reefer...

Skydawg1
06-10-2020, 08:47 PM
I agree with a lot of you guys about the Stennis Flag. It's pretty lame. I do like the idea of a magnolia being on the flag, we are, as previously stated, the Magnolia State. I'd like to see some concepts that include the Biloxi Lighthouse, even though we're not really known for our coast (other than bad things happening down there).

bobcat91
06-10-2020, 08:48 PM
Devil's advocate. Georgia changed its flag and South Carolina removed the Confederate flag from their Capital. Several states removed Confederate monuments. Not one thing has changed in race relations. We can change the flag, but not one person's beliefs. If it makes you feel like you've accomplished something, great. New flag, but nothing has changed. Fire away.

bobcat91
06-10-2020, 08:54 PM
By the way, how do you post a photo on this site

Skydawg1
06-10-2020, 08:56 PM
Georgia removed the stars and bars but just replaced it with 13 stars (the confederacy).

Commercecomet24
06-10-2020, 09:15 PM
If im not mistaken I believe Bert missed again.

bobcat91
06-10-2020, 09:17 PM
Bert got me the first time. Not this one

bobcat91
06-10-2020, 09:19 PM
https://s.amsu.ng/D5Fi74qNoinN

BrunswickDawg
06-10-2020, 09:26 PM
If im not mistaken I believe Bert missed again.

I'm beginning to think Bert has been going for the reverse jinx all along.

Jack Lambert
06-10-2020, 09:29 PM
Devil's advocate. Georgia changed its flag and South Carolina removed the Confederate flag from their Capital. Several states removed Confederate monuments. Not one thing has changed in race relations. We can change the flag, but not one person's beliefs. If it makes you feel like you've accomplished something, great. New flag, but nothing has changed. Fire away.

Technically GA just went to another confederate flag. All the other southern states are flying the flag thier state troops marched under during the civil war.

DownwardDawg
06-10-2020, 09:32 PM
Oh no not this Bert Stare stuff again! Billy Napier will be next governor lol

Hahahaha!!!

Commercecomet24
06-10-2020, 09:32 PM
I'm beginning to think Bert has been going for the reverse jinx all along.

I believe you're right .

DownwardDawg
06-10-2020, 09:34 PM
Not seeing much looting and rioting going on in Mississippi. Come to think of it, since our President threatened military involvement the rioters chilled. Just protesting now for the most part. Funny how that works.

Commercecomet24
06-10-2020, 09:40 PM
Not seeing much looting and rioting going on in Mississippi. Come to think of it, since our President threatened military involvement the rioters chilled. Just protesting now for the most part. Funny how that works.

I think it's pretty cool that the people of our state have done it the right way. There's a lot of awesome folks here.

3rdGen
06-10-2020, 09:45 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/qUlkYKZX6bqvK/giphy.gif

ROFL man I had to give you some rep for that.

Edit: If you guys are talking about the magnolia flag I just saw by googling it...... I’m gonna have to go hard hell naw!!!! Looks like a kindergartner drew that magnolia tree. Come on man!!!! Let’s just throw a hollow body and a catfish on there too. Maybe we will just put four strings on it and give the catfish a smile. Oh oh and let’s not forget the sunshine. *

Kinda**

KOdawg1
06-10-2020, 09:54 PM
Bert coming out strong with the Moorhead/Napier stuff and then being wrong ever since has been like seeing a batter launch a 500 foot foul ball and then watching the next two pitches right down the pipe.

Commercecomet24
06-10-2020, 09:56 PM
Bert coming out strong with the Moorhead/Napier stuff and then being wrong ever since has been like seeing a batter launch a 500 foot foul ball and then watching the next two pitches right down the pipe.

Lol I love that analogy!

dantheman4248
06-10-2020, 10:08 PM

It's actually that the police chilled and stopped tear gassing everyone.

Thinking what he did is good is how you end up with regimes like Russia and China.

bobcat91
06-10-2020, 10:13 PM

Bdawg
06-10-2020, 10:30 PM

I've basically already said this many times in this thread. Changing an inanimate object won't change a persons heart. It must come from within. Perception may change but that's about it.

Bdawg
06-10-2020, 10:33 PM

Good job getting a pic. This is the flag I was referencing in post 83.

DownwardDawg
06-10-2020, 11:15 PM
I think it's pretty cool that the people of our state have done it the right way. There's a lot of awesome folks here.

Wife and I were talking about it tonight. Mississippi ain?t as bad a place to live as some think.

BrunswickDawg
06-11-2020, 07:38 AM
Georgia removed the stars and bars but just replaced it with 13 stars (the confederacy).

Actually, there was a flag in between. When Governor Barnes replaced the "battle flag" version with this one in 2001
https://flagpolesetc.com/sites/default/files/pictures/Blog%20Photos/Georgia%202001%20%3D%202003.png

Sonny Perdue ran for Governor on a platform that included returning the "battle flag" version. Battle flag supporters became known as "Flaggers", and were a vocal part of Perdue's support. Ever the politician, Perdue pulled a switch and put out the current flag in 2003, and then got legislation passed calling for a referendum between the 2001 and 2003 flags. The 2003 flag won - mainly because the 2001 blue flag is ugly. Flaggers called Perdue a coward and a turncoat.

The 2003 flag is based on GA flags from 1879-1956 - all of which were related to the 1879 flag - designed by a former Confederate to honor Confederate veterans.

Commercecomet24
06-11-2020, 09:13 AM
Wife and I were talking about it tonight. Mississippi ain?t as bad a place to live as some think.

Amen to that! I've lived in Los Angeles, Phoenix, and travel for my job quite a bit, Mississippi is home and I really do love it.

BeastMan
06-11-2020, 10:15 AM
I hope the legislature changes it so come votin time we can focus all our energy on passing initiative 65 (not 65a). I don?t want a group of energized inbreds, the our heritage crowd, messing that one up.

TrapGame
06-11-2020, 10:16 AM
Amen to that! I've lived in Los Angeles, Phoenix, and travel for my job quite a bit, Mississippi is home and I really do love it.

I work in the medical field. I've seen patients that have moved here from Idaho, Illinois, Michigan, New York, California and a few other non-southern states. They have all told me their opinion of Mississippi changed drastically after they moved here. They love us and the state. They talk about how friendly we are and how the stereotypes of us being racist, barefoot, toothless, backwoods hillbillies is waaaaaaay off the mark.

And they also say they understand why Mississippi has an obesity problem...our food is so damn good!

Commercecomet24
06-11-2020, 10:43 AM
I work in the medical field. I've seen patients that have moved here from Idaho, Illinois, Michigan, New York, California and a few other non-southern states. They have all told me their opinion of Mississippi changed drastically after they moved here. They love us and the state. They talk about how friendly we are and how the stereotypes of us being racist, barefoot, toothless, backwoods hillbillies is waaaaaaay off the mark.

And they also say they understand why Mississippi has an obesity problem...our food is so damn good!

Yes, yes, yes! When I lived in Los Angeles for a couple of years back in the 80's and people found out i was from Mississippi they actually asked me if we indoor plumbing lol, and they were shocked to learn that I was very adept in working with computers. It's amazing what we can learn from each other when we stop being fearful and actually reach out to others who are different with real communication and dialogue. You actually find out there's a ton of great and interesting people in this world. I was born here and spent the majority of my life here and I'm proud to be a Mississippi boy.

PMDawg
06-11-2020, 10:45 AM

Bert reads the internet/FB, and comes here trying to act like he's in the know. That's all.

PMDawg
06-11-2020, 10:47 AM
It's actually that the police chilled and stopped tear gassing everyone.

Thinking what he did is good is how you end up with regimes like Russia and China.

Someone who supports a party heavily pushing Socialism, saying the opposition party is leading us to a Russian or China-like regime is hilarious. You're either a really funny guy, or woefully ignorant.

Commercecomet24
06-11-2020, 10:47 AM
Bert is this you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SclV-UWM4Gw

TrapGame
06-11-2020, 11:14 AM
Yes, yes, yes! When I lived in Los Angeles for a couple of years back in the 80's and people found out i was from Mississippi they actually asked me if we indoor plumbing lol, and they were shocked to learn that I was very adept in working with computers. It's amazing what we can learn from each other when we stop being fearful and actually reach out to others who are different with real communication and dialogue. You actually find out there's a ton of great and interesting people in this world. I was born here and spent the majority of my life here and I'm proud to be a Mississippi boy.

My dad was finance director of Penaco in Grenada through the 80's. The big boss from Boston Mass came down to tour the facility around 84. My dad said he was astounded that a) were wore socks and shoes and b) we had indoor plumbing.

iPat09
06-11-2020, 11:19 AM
My dad was finance director of Penaco in Grenada through the 80's. The big boss from Boston Mass came down to tour the facility around 84. My dad said he was astounded that a) were wore socks and shoes and b) we had indoor plumbing.

I've taken Amtrak around the country a good bit and while talking to others on the train, I always come across similar questions. First off, most people don't even believe I am from MS due to my lack of a thick accent. Then they always seem to ask about indoor plumbing and central AC. I always want to tell them we wouldn't survive down here without AC.

Commercecomet24
06-11-2020, 11:20 AM

Amazing isn't it?

Commercecomet24
06-11-2020, 11:22 AM
I've taken Amtrak around the country a good bit and while talking to others on the train, I always come across similar questions. First off, most people don't even believe I am from MS due to my lack of a thick accent. Then they always seem to ask about indoor plumbing and central AC. I always want to tell them we wouldn't survive down here without AC.

We didn't have central AC when i was growing up, we had window units and box fans but my dad would never turn the window units on because "he didn't want to run up his electric bill" lol. I couldn't make it without my central AC now, guess I've gotten soft in my old age lol!

TrapGame
06-11-2020, 11:26 AM
We didn't have central AC when i was growing up, we had window units and box fans but my dad would never turn the window units on because "he didn't want to run up his electric bill" lol. I couldn't make it without my central AC now, guess I've gotten soft in my old age lol!

My grandmother wouldn't turn on the window units until at least mid July. Maybe. She had an oscillating fan in every room though.

iPat09
06-11-2020, 11:27 AM

My dad was somewhat the same way, except he would keep the central unit at about 80 and keep the ceiling fan off because he "enjoys eating a hot meal, not a cold one". But when driving around town, he wouldn't even turn on the car ac OR roll the windows down to save a little gas. I just started telling him he enjoys being uncomfortable. Call me soft, I don't care. But I need AC in my life! Ha.

Commercecomet24
06-11-2020, 11:31 AM
My dad was somewhat the same way, except he would keep the central unit at about 80 and keep the ceiling fan off because he "enjoys eating a hot meal, not a cold one". But when driving around town, he wouldn't even turn on the car ac OR roll the windows down to save a little gas. I just started telling him he enjoys being uncomfortable. Call me soft, I don't care. But I need AC in my life! Ha.

Yep I know exactly what you mean, my dad was the same way! My wife is going through what ladies go through as they get older and we have to sleep with the air on 68, the ceiling fan on and she has a personal fan on her night stand blowing on her! I can say I'm extremely thankful for central air because I don't need momma unhappy!

Commercecomet24
06-11-2020, 11:33 AM
My grandmother wouldn't turn on the window units until at least mid July. Maybe. She had an oscillating fan in every room though.

If you grew up like I did we were never inside until it was to dark to see and even then we didn't come in until we were just made to and it didn't bother us one bit. Simpler times.

My apologies for hi jacking the thread, yall.

Lord McBuckethead
06-11-2020, 12:25 PM
If you grew up like I did we were never inside until it was to dark to see and even then we didn't come in until we were just made to and it didn't bother us one bit. Simpler times.

You know, I was the same way. Had friends all over the neighborhood. Now that I have a 6 year old, there are no kids her age withing 3 blocks of my house. It's sad.

Commercecomet24
06-11-2020, 12:36 PM
You know, I was the same way. Had friends all over the neighborhood. Now that I have a 6 year old, there are no kids her age withing 3 blocks of my house. It's sad.

It is sad. Socializing and learning how to communicate and deal with others is sorely missing now.

Quaoarsking
06-11-2020, 08:14 PM
Not a great day for sources

Another bad day for sources.

RocketDawg
06-11-2020, 08:22 PM
We had a window fan that sucked in hot, humid air. No AC at all.

RocketDawg
06-11-2020, 08:25 PM

Uh, no. The 13 stars represent the 13 original colonies. Georgia was one of those colonies.

BeardoMSU
06-11-2020, 08:28 PM
We had a window fan that sucked in hot, humid air. No AC at all.

Growing up we had an attic fan (or house fan; whatever they're called). But we lived in Winterville, north of Greenville, so it only helped enough to keep you from dying from dehydration as you slept.

R2Dawg
06-12-2020, 11:51 AM

Yep, big difference in the culture now and back in the 70s and 80s. Same could also be said from that generation to the 40s and 50s too but the jump from when I few up to the 2000s is another universe of different.

When my kids were smaller early 2000s, when we planted out garden, I had my kids take their shoes off and run in the fresh dirt just to know how it feels and smell the dirt. Any of you young guys have not done it, might want to try it.

Commercecomet24
06-12-2020, 11:54 AM
Yep, big difference in the culture now and back in the 70s and 80s. Same could also be said from that generation to the 40s and 50s too but the jump from when I few up to the 2000s is another universe of different.

When my kids were smaller early 2000s, when we planted out garden, I had my kids take their shoes off and run in the fresh dirt just to know how it feels and smell the dirt. Any of you young guys have not done it, might want to try it.

Yep, agreed and I didn't wear shoes very often as a kid.

BB30
06-12-2020, 12:05 PM

Had a kid I played ball with from CA when I was in the Rays organization that was shocked to find out that we did in fact have McDonalds and paved roads. I was dumbfounded.

Rex54
06-12-2020, 11:38 PM
Keep the flag as is

DownwardDawg
06-13-2020, 02:18 AM

This was me!!! And I was filthy when I came in!!!

Todd4State
06-13-2020, 06:41 AM
Had a kid I played ball with from CA when I was in the Rays organization that was shocked to find out that we did in fact have McDonalds and paved roads. I was dumbfounded.

I had to do some work for professional school in Washington state. They thought I lived in an antebellum home. Maybe they thought I was stuck up or something.

HRTFXR
06-13-2020, 08:33 AM
I had to do some work for professional school in Washington state. They thought I lived in an antebellum home. Maybe they thought I was stuck up or something.

You can't say that now. It's "A"

Commercecomet24
06-13-2020, 11:55 AM

It's is seriously amazing the thoughts people have about us

dantheman4248
06-13-2020, 12:45 PM
To refocus the topic. Sounds like MS Flag is up next for NASCAR chopping block.

It's crazy to me that NASCAR is more progressive looking than any other sport (especially the NBA). Ever since Brian France got that DUI, NASCAR leadership has improved tenfold and started making the right moves.

Now if they'd only axe that stupid playoffs and keep the no practice format. We'd be set and we'd have tons of midweek racing opportunities.

Dallas_Dawg
06-13-2020, 01:44 PM
I've never had strong feelings about it one way or the other, other than I usually have a very strong dislike for anyone who has strong feelings about it one way or the other.

Add to that, it's 2020 and I can agree that it's probably long overdue.

Well said. I'm with you

Commercecomet24
06-13-2020, 01:56 PM
Where's Bert?

Hambone
06-13-2020, 04:28 PM
Cooking up his next wild, but amazingly detailed, MSU event

Commercecomet24
06-13-2020, 04:36 PM
Cooking up his next wild, but amazingly detailed, MSU event

Lol no doubt! I wonder what's next!

Bdawg
06-14-2020, 10:10 PM

Bert went from sugar to s*** about as fast as possible and in one topic. As one person I once knew said, Bert was once "hot s**t in a martini glass, but now just a cold turd in a paper cup."

Mjoelner34
06-14-2020, 10:15 PM
As one person I once knew said, Bert was once "hot s**t in a martini glass, but now just a cold turd in a paper cup."

LOL. A friend of mine used to say "Hot snot on a silver platter to cold bugers on a paper plate."

BeardoMSU
06-14-2020, 10:59 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nTpsv9PNqo

DownwardDawg
06-14-2020, 11:07 PM
And C34 still says that Bert has sources!!! Haha!!
I like ol Bert though. I was extremely entertained during the coaching search. That’s what I come here for. Entertainment.

BiscuitEater
06-15-2020, 09:42 AM
Why?

The legislature chose the flag in 1861(twice), and in 1894, why not today?

You do understand that they are just plain gutless. They WON'T change the flag .. period.

Jack Lambert
06-15-2020, 09:47 AM
You do understand that they are just plain gutless. They WON'T change the flag .. period.

What i don't understand is why? They are all lawyers and working in the State Government is part time work. So why be scared? Is being in the State Government that important to them?*****

You would think that being there would interfere with thier private practice.

BiscuitEater
06-15-2020, 09:51 AM

Guess you just totally missed that part of the constitution. You know the First Amendment .. that 'peaceably to assemble' part

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

TrapGame
06-15-2020, 11:53 AM
Bert's that guy at the race track that thinks he always a sure thing.

dantheman4248
06-15-2020, 12:16 PM
Guess you just totally missed that part of the constitution. You know the First Amendment .. that 'peaceably to assemble' part

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I guess I'm missing the part where mandatory curfews and threatening military violence, attacking protestors unprovoked doesn't violate that.

Or were you responding to the person before me and just quoted me to add to my point. Because you added to my point very well actually.

StateDawg44
06-15-2020, 12:22 PM
Bert's that guy at the race track that thinks he always a sure thing.

https://media.giphy.com/media/cacmovqu6jpzq/source.gif

Lord McBuckethead
06-15-2020, 12:39 PM
What i don't understand is why? They are all lawyers and working in the State Government is part time work. So why be scared? Is being in the State Government that important to them?*****

You would think that being there would interfere with thier private practice.

Doing unpopular things could effect their normal jobs, long term.

dantheman4248
06-15-2020, 12:58 PM
Errol retweeting tweet about leading a player led boycott to get flag removed. Good for him. Mississippi flag will be changed before start of football season. Glad to see our defensive captain lead.

Jack Lambert
06-15-2020, 01:09 PM
Doing unpopular things could effect their normal jobs, long term.

All politicians are *****s.

hopsondawg22
06-15-2020, 01:57 PM
Your type are the ones who will burn this country down and enact a year zero.

fishwater99
06-15-2020, 02:34 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/cacmovqu6jpzq/source.gif

Awesome..

msu15
06-15-2020, 02:37 PM
Bert and 34 must be lovers

Jack Lambert
06-15-2020, 02:44 PM
Where's Bert?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNPR1L3GeRU

Lord McBuckethead
06-16-2020, 08:20 PM
All politicians are *****s.

You could always try to get a spot, and show them how to stick to their guns. You know, when your entire family lives works in mississippi and feel the response to any decision you make pro or con.

Jack Lambert
06-16-2020, 08:28 PM
You could always try to get a spot, and show them how to stick to their guns. You know, when your entire family lives works in mississippi and feel the response to any decision you make pro or con.

Maybe they should not be there if they worry about that kind of stuff. As for me I would never subject myself to that crap.

TUSK
06-17-2020, 12:20 AM
Y'all should give this flag a spin,,,,,,

Lord McBuckethead
06-17-2020, 02:04 AM
Maybe they should not be there if they worry about that kind of stuff. As for me I would never subject myself to that crap.

They have to worry about that stuff. I also understand the tough spot they are in due to their entire families positions withing their local area.

Really Clark?
06-17-2020, 06:15 AM
Uh, no. The 13 stars represent the 13 original colonies. Georgia was one of those colonies.

That?s not correct. The flag is actually extremely similar to the first national flag of the confederacy.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c8/Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_%281861% E2%80%931863%29.svg/640px-Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_%281861% E2%80%931863%29.svg.png

https://www.netstate.com/states/symb/flags/images/ga_flag_2003p.gif