PDA

View Full Version : BCS #1,9,12,13,14 and 15....

maroonmania
11-04-2013, 05:39 PM
that's the current BCS rankings of the teams we will have lost to after we likely hit 4-6 after the Bama game. I could literally slap Stricklin for unnecessarily scheduling OK ST this year. As long as the SEC West stays this strong AND we don't recruit at a higher level than we do we will NEVER be ready to take on an extra top 20 BCS team OOC. Just a stupid idea that really has hurt the program this year.

was21
11-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Yet it's Dan's fault

CadaverDawg
11-04-2013, 06:01 PM
Yet it's Dan's fault

Sorry, but this sounds silly to me. None of those teams are ranked that high if Dan beats them, so what does losing to them prove? And with Ark and UK out recruiting us now....in 2-3 years when we are ranked #60, and everybody except Jackson St is ranked above us on our schedule, does that mean you're ok with Dan losing to all of them since they're ranked higher than us?

Are we ever expected to move up? Or are we just supposed to watch teams pass us and then expect losses against them since they are past us?

I have always hated the rankings argument bc a team can start the year ranked high and then drop, and vice versa. For instance, what if 3 of those teams lose another game and fall below the top 20-25? Does that make your point irrelevant all the sudden? Does it make mine relevant all the sudden? The bottom line is, we are starting to become an underdog every week, and at some point if you never beat a team that's equal or better, AND you aren't recruiting better than those behind you....you end up being the worst team in the league. All while having the excuse of "we beat the teams we're supposed to beat".

Political Hack
11-04-2013, 06:15 PM
that's the current BCS rankings of the teams we will have lost to after we likely hit 4-6 after the Bama game. I could literally slap Stricklin for unnecessarily scheduling OK ST this year. As long as the SEC West stays this strong AND we don't recruit at a higher level than we do we will NEVER be ready to take on an extra top 20 BCS team OOC. Just a stupid idea that really has hurt the program this year.

yep... I was PO'd as soon as the OSU game was announced. Terrible decision. Cost us a shot at beating Auburn early too.

We'd be 6-2 and one of the highest ranked two-loss teams in America if not for that one, HUGE mistake.

engie
11-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Well said Cadaver.

Let's not pretend that we have to fall far to be #60 either.

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20131104-jgx7-97kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20131104-jgx7-97kb)

CadaverDawg
11-04-2013, 06:17 PM
That's an interesting list.....especially #37

Political Hack
11-04-2013, 06:18 PM
if we played Bama 12 times we'd be last on that list.

cheewgumm
11-04-2013, 06:25 PM
Thank god for us. It may help us get a coach that woudl win that game. Getting rid of it may make us gkeep a coach that maybe we shoujldnt for another year or two. you shoul;d go to bed and thank GOD himself that we played that game.

engie
11-04-2013, 06:36 PM
if we played Bama 12 times we'd be last on that list.

Nice theory -- but false.

That list is the 6 BCS computer rankings -- which are set up to determine how good a team actually is, regardless of schedule. SOS is weighted heavily in all those formulas.

We went 7-6 in year 3 -- and finished 31st in the country. We went 5-7 in year 1 -- and finished 45th. Needless to say, by unbiased computer metrics, this is HIGHLY likely to be the worst team we've seen under Mullen at MSU...

dawgs
11-04-2013, 06:44 PM
yep... I was PO'd as soon as the OSU game was announced. Terrible decision. Cost us a shot at beating Auburn early too.

We'd be 6-2 and one of the highest ranked two-loss teams in America if not for that one, HUGE mistake.

if russell played the whole game against auburn, we likely lose by more imo. i watched that auburn game with a bunch of auburn fans and every single one of them afterwards told me that prescott scared the shit out of them for the next few years and was way more dangerous than russell. and who is to say that russell doesn't take a concussion against whatever team we paid $500K instead of playing okie st? a whole lot of what ifs out there to act like we'd have beaten auburn and be 6-2 right now.

Political Hack
11-04-2013, 06:48 PM
if russell played the whole game against auburn, we likely lose by more imo. i watched that auburn game with a bunch of auburn fans and every single one of them afterwards told me that prescott scared the shit out of them for the next few years and was way more dangerous than russell. and who is to say that russell doesn't take a concussion against whatever team we paid $500K instead of playing okie st? a whole lot of what ifs out there to act like we'd have beaten auburn and be 6-2 right now.

If TR gets one first down in the 2nd half, we win.

If Malone seals one lane to get a RB extra yards for a first down, we win.

If Hughes breaks up a pass on that last drive or gets the defense in the right spots, we win.

CadaverDawg
11-04-2013, 06:54 PM

If Hughes breaks up a pass on that last drive or gets the defense in the right spots, we win.

If Mullen doesn't stall the entire second half, we easily win.

bluelightstar
11-04-2013, 07:06 PM
If Mullen doesn't stall the entire second half, we easily win.

doesn't fit the narrative

dawgs
11-04-2013, 07:06 PM

you're assuming TR has us in position to be 1 play from winning. i don't think you can say that without being full of shit.

Political Hack
11-04-2013, 07:13 PM
you're assuming TR has us in position to be 1 play from winning. i don't think you can say that without being full of shit.

I've held all along we're a better team with two QBs than one. TR gets one drive in the second half, I think we win. Also, nothing I said here was based solely on TR... I mentioned two other players we lost as well.

So, I'd say until you address the whole argument, you're full of shit.

Will James
11-04-2013, 07:31 PM

PLUS ONE

Political Hack
11-04-2013, 07:36 PM
PLUS ONE

If they have a reading comprehension class at State, I advise you take it.

engie
11-04-2013, 07:39 PM

I'm sick of the "ifs".

Houston 09
Florida 09
LSU 09
Auburn 10
Arkansas 10
Auburn 11
South Carolina 11
Auburn 13

IF we had an aggressive coach that didn't quit at the first half 2:00 warning, we were also in position to compete
LSU 11
LSU 12
OM 12
Northwestern 12
LSU 13

I'm sure I'm missing a few others. Fact of the matter is -- there is only ONE constant in all these close losses. Every time we have comparable talent with a chance to win late, we get outcoached. It's literally happened ?how many? times in a row now?

Churchill
11-04-2013, 07:41 PM
"Just a stupid idea that really has hurt the program this year." Mullen`s losing the Auburn game hurt the program a lot more than Strick`s scheduling. You Mullen apologists are like little excuse factories....WORKING TWO SHIFTS. sheesh

Political Hack
11-04-2013, 07:52 PM
I'm sick of the "ifs".

Houston 09
Florida 09
LSU 09
Auburn 10
Arkansas 10
Auburn 11
South Carolina 11
Auburn 13

IF we had an aggressive coach that didn't quit at the first half 2:00 warning, we were also in position to compete
LSU 11
LSU 12
OM 12
Northwestern 12
LSU 13

I'm sure I'm missing a few others. Fact of the matter is -- there is only ONE constant in all these close losses. Every time we have comparable talent with a chance to win late, we get outcoached. It's literally happened ?how many? times in a row now?

You're smart you understand how critical the schedule is.

Riddle me this: what SEC coaches would've won 8 or more with this schedule and our circumstances this season?

Circumstances: New DC and scheme. Tyler prepared to be the starter and Dak was out during spring. changed in the first half of the first game. Malone out for the year. Hughes out for the year. Quay suspended multiple games. Nick out for the year. Redmond suspended half the year. Perk got banged up. An OT with back problems. Dak's mom's health. Three Sr's in the two-deep on defense. Only two SEC home games on Saturdays... against LSU and Bama. And the big one... half of your schedule is against the top 15 teams in the nation.

Which SEC coach wins 8 or more?

Will James
11-04-2013, 07:56 PM

Which SEC coach would have shown signs of progression over the last few years? Which ones would belong on the same field as ANYONE above them?

Dawg61
11-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Fact of the matter is -- there is only ONE constant in all these close losses. Every time we have comparable talent with a chance to win late, we get outcoached. It's literally happened ?how many? times in a row now?

By my count it's 15 times in a row now.

Political Hack
11-04-2013, 08:09 PM
Which SEC coach would have shown signs of progression over the last few years? Which ones would belong on the same field as ANYONE above them?

I like this game. Don't talk about what was actually said... just ask random stupid questions.

who started their career at a school best known for a shooting?
who took Will Smith's advice and left the college ranks?
Who compared LaMonroe to 9/11?

engie
11-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Sure. Our schedule last year MASKED the same exact problems that are slapping us in the face this year. At some point, you can't be a PRETENDER anymore in the SEC. You've got to step up and beat someone. My point had LITTLE to do about this year. It's about the overall state of Mullen's coaching over his career here being brought into focus THIS year.

Fact is, years 1-3, we were a contender. The last 2 years, we've been pretenders.

Riddle me this: what SEC coaches would've won 8 or more with this schedule and our circumstances this season?

Circumstances: New DC and scheme. Tyler prepared to be the starter and Dak was out during spring. changed in the first half of the first game. Malone out for the year. Hughes out for the year. Quay suspended multiple games. Nick out for the year. Redmond suspended half the year. Perk got banged up. An OT with back problems. Dak's mom's health. Three Sr's in the two-deep on defense. Only two SEC home games on Saturdays... against LSU and Bama. And the big one... half of your schedule is against the top 15 teams in the nation.

Who gives a damn about 8 or more? We're not even on the PLANET of winning 8 or more against a schedule with a pulse right now. Who do I think would have won 6 or more?
Saban
Miles
Malzahn
Freeze
Sumlin
Richt
Spurrier
Pinkel
Franklin

Too soon to tell:
Jones
Bielema
Stoops

Probably not:
Muschamp
Mullen

At absolute best, we've got the 10th best coach in the SEC right now. At worst, we've got the 14th best.

Political Hack
11-04-2013, 08:14 PM
CDM may still win 6... and the fact that it will likely go down to the last game of the year shows that if 6 is your goal, CDM isn't that far off despite a miserable year and impossible schedule.

drunkernhelldawg
11-04-2013, 08:19 PM

I don't know the answer to your question, but we had the ability (the horses) to win every game this season except maybe LSU. We may even have had a chance to beat LSU if we had been able to keep the ball some in the second half. I understand being an underdog, but the sad fact is that this team has performed as far below its ability as a team can perform. It's hard not to fault the team's leader.

Political Hack
11-04-2013, 08:23 PM
always goes on the HBC. Without a doubt... I just think he's not getting the support he needs.

Relf2.0
11-04-2013, 08:41 PM
it's not that bad. things would be different if strickland didnt schedule Oklahoma State. that killed our momentum

drunkernhelldawg
11-04-2013, 08:47 PM
it's not that bad. things would be different if strickland didnt schedule Oklahoma State. that killed our momentum

Yeah. We were Undefeated until that happened.

Seriously, I am skeptical of the massive effect that many assign to this scheduling. It looked to me like we could have won the game. We've had so many losses and bad plays since then that the truth is that I don't remember it that well.

dawgs
11-04-2013, 08:59 PM

Well a different coach might have recruited differently or put players in different positions to make plays or not hired Chris Wilson as DC, this necessitating our new DC and scheme this year, etc etc etc.