PDA

View Full Version : Another Bama WR in the Portal

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 02:40 PM
Do you go get him?

Maybe cut someone to get another scholly?

https://247sports.com/Player/Chadarius-Townsend-83802/

StarkVegasSteve
06-09-2020, 02:42 PM
We don't need to start cutting people just to take transfers. Don't cut the known to take a chance on the unknown. If we had schollys available then yea maybe take a flier. But we're at our cap. Let's roll.

Todd4State
06-09-2020, 02:43 PM
Could this be your slot receiver that you wanted?

We really need a couple of defensive backs more honestly. But I wouldn't be against taking him if he wants to come.

HailStateSZN19
06-09-2020, 02:46 PM
He worked and played some as a DB at Bama too I believe. We're in need of a DB pretty bad depth-wise. Wouldn't hate it. Take him and see which side he works out better on. Either stick him in the slot or put him at CB. But aren't we at 83 now?

StarkVegasSteve
06-09-2020, 02:49 PM
He worked and played some as a DB at Bama too I believe. We're in need of a DB pretty bad depth-wise. Wouldn't hate it. Take him and see which side he works out better on. Either stick him in the slot or put him at CB. But aren't we at 83 now?

Yes, we'd have to cut someone to make room.

NWADAWG
06-09-2020, 02:50 PM
Do you go get him?

What a change of pace. In a world where bama has historically seemed to just cherry pick whichever 4 star they wanted from us. There is a possibility of us taking 2 from them. Need or no need, if he is interested, I would probably take him just because I could.

ETA: Add Lashley and that makes 3.

Johnson85
06-09-2020, 02:50 PM
We don't need to start cutting people just to take transfers. Don't cut the known to take a chance on the unknown. If we had schollys available then yea maybe take a flier. But we're at our cap. Let's roll.

Yup. If a sure fire playmaker entered the portal for some reason, then maybe you have a difficult conversation with somebody. But you don't cut somebody because a guy that played in 5 games last year has come available.

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 02:53 PM

Bama has been doing this for years.

I don't love it either, but you gotta do what you gotta do to win

NWADAWG
06-09-2020, 02:55 PM
Yup. If a sure fire playmaker entered the portal for some reason, then maybe you have a difficult conversation with somebody. But you don't cut somebody because a guy that played in 5 games last year has come available.

Not sure I agree with that logic. If he had played in 5 games at UAB, then I would agree. I'm not sure we had anyone in our receiving group last year that would have gotten in a game, must less 5 games, at bama last year. If he's better, then we need to upgrade. I'll trust Leach to know if he's actually better.

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 02:57 PM
Could this be your slot receiver that you wanted?

Maybe. I watched some Tulu video today & he could definitely fill that role if he can catch onto things quickly.

I just don't love playing FR that much

StarkVegasSteve
06-09-2020, 02:57 PM
Not sure I agree with that logic. If he had played in 5 games at UAB, then I would agree. I'm not sure we had anyone in our receiving group last year that would have gotten in a game, must less 5 games, at bama last year. If he's better, then we need to upgrade. I'll trust Leach to know if he's actually better.

But did he play 5 games at WR or play 5 games on ST. Heck Shavers played in 12 games last year, but only had 1 pass caught because he was only playing ST most of the time. You also have to look at where he played those 5 games.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-09-2020, 03:04 PM
Pass

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 03:04 PM
What's great about all these Bama transfers is that because Bama was able to make early enrollees, they all have two years left to play due to graduating early

Jack Lambert
06-09-2020, 03:30 PM
What's great about all these Bama transfers is that because Bama was able to make early enrollees, they all have two years left to play due to graduating early

So Bama has lost a 5 star QB and two 4 star WR to the portal and they don't even blink an eye. Must be nice.

TUSK
06-09-2020, 04:19 PM
There's a LB in the portal as well,,,, Benton, I think...

Jarius
06-09-2020, 04:55 PM

We need to do whatever we have to do to get the most talent on our roster.

ZedFedder
06-09-2020, 05:00 PM
Pass.

Turfdawg67
06-09-2020, 06:05 PM
Do you go get him?

Is he twerky? ***

msbulldog
06-09-2020, 06:20 PM
Do you go get him?

He would be the one of the shortest receivers we have.

maroonmania
06-09-2020, 06:27 PM
So Bama has lost a 5 star QB and two 4 star WR to the portal and they don't even blink an eye. Must be nice.

This is the biggest problem with college football today and is why the pool of teams that have a legitimate chance to make the playoffs is only ever about 8 to 10 programs at any one period of time. Its the biggest reason why scholarship numbers for college football, both per year and total per team, needs to be cut badly! The glut of scholarships in football is the only reason that the elites like Bama and others can lose these high quality players that never get to see the field and never miss a beat.

HoopsDawg
06-09-2020, 08:05 PM
We need to do whatever we have to do to get the most talent on our roster.

agree. Is he better than our 83rd best player? Yes? then go and get him. Have to keep upgrading the talent. It's the SEC. It's a dog eat dog world.

StateDawg44
06-09-2020, 08:31 PM
He would be the one of the shortest receivers we have.

And??

Todd4State
06-09-2020, 09:18 PM
I'll say it- does anyone know the status of Jack Harris? If he's not on the team that's an extra scholarship there. Otherwise if I were in MSU's shoes I would cut Korey Charles. The guy is a senior and may be able to transfer easily and isn't a Mississippi kid. I've seen Reed and Furdge mentioned but they still have a chance to contribute.

maroonmania
06-09-2020, 09:24 PM
I'll say it- does anyone know the status of Jack Harris? If he's not on the team that's an extra scholarship there. Otherwise if I were in MSU's shoes I would cut Korey Charles. The guy is a senior and may be able to transfer easily and isn't a Mississippi kid. I've seen Reed and Furdge mentioned but they still have a chance to contribute.

OK, I will just ask it since nobody else seems to be bringing it up. We want extra scholarships? What are we going to do with Spivey, Cumbest, Dontae Jones and Powers Warren? That's 4 TEs on a roster for an offense that doesn't really even use a TE. One, maybe two at the most, of those guys actually have the ability to move to a WR position and do something but certainly not all four. Seems like something has to give with that group of players.

HoopsDawg
06-09-2020, 09:25 PM

Charles is our 3rd corner right now. I could easily name 10 players to cut over him. maroonmania names a couple in the post above.

Jarius
06-09-2020, 10:19 PM

I find it very hard to believe a consensus 4 star player isn’t better than at least someone on our roster at his positions. We can’t cut someone like Powers Warren because of some political issues but there are a lot of players that aren’t ever going to play a meaningful snap for us that could be processed. These players have let it be known that college football is a business decision for them. We’ve had 2 try to sign with our arch rival in the last month and another 4 year starter leave for another conference foe. We need to look out for MSU. The days of loyalty are gone on both sides of the aisle. If they want it to be all about business I’m happy to oblige them.

Walkerhill
06-09-2020, 10:30 PM
I find it very hard to believe a consensus 4 star player isn?t better than at least someone on our roster at his positions. We can?t cut someone like Powers Warren because of some political issues but there are a lot of players that aren?t ever going to play a meaningful snap for us that could be processed. These players have let it be known that college football is a business decision for them. We?ve had 2 try to sign with our arch rival in the last month and another 4 year starter leave for another conference foe. We need to look out for MSU. The days of loyalty are gone on both sides of the aisle. If they want it to be all about business I?m happy to oblige them.

The last series of posts are in poor taste imo. Any currently rostered player who has paid the price to become a D1 athlete and has stuck with the program in good standing deserves better than for keyboard warriors to speculate they should be cut.

Why run down our own players in public?

If the staff chooses to process a player after private discussion, then that is their choice and it is their responsibility it manage the locker room through those changes. But let us not make the job harder with baseless and misguided speculation.

My 2 cents. You CAN right whatever you want. Free country. But it is not wise or constructive to broach some topics.

Jarius
06-09-2020, 11:09 PM
The last series of posts are in poor taste imo. Any currently rostered player who has paid the price to become a D1 athlete and has stuck with the program in good standing deserves better than for keyboard warriors to speculate they should be cut.

If the staff chooses to process a player after private discussion, then that is their choice and it is their responsibility it manage the locker room through those changes. But let us not make the job harder with baseless and misguided speculation.

My 2 cents. You CAN right whatever you want. Free country. But it is not wise or constructive to broach some topics.

Ok. I disagree. I’m not telling anyone who should be cut specifically anyway. Not like I would know that answer to start with. Every team in big boy football cuts players every year. This isn’t some progressive new idea.

Todd4State
06-10-2020, 12:58 AM

The unfortunate reality is good people that work hard are not always good players.

If I was in Leach's shoes I would just be honest and up front and at least offer the chance to walk-on if they wish to stay at MSU but also offer to be helpful to find them a landing spot to transfer if they wish to go that route.

Fans are going to talk about what the team looks like. It's not like we woke up one day and said- let's cut this guy, let's cut that guy. It's more like hey there is a player in the portal that can help us out and make us better but unfortunately player 83 has to go.

Todd4State
06-10-2020, 01:00 AM
OK, I will just ask it since nobody else seems to be bringing it up. We want extra scholarships? What are we going to do with Spivey, Cumbest, Dontae Jones and Powers Warren? That's 4 TEs on a roster for an offense that doesn't really even use a TE. One, maybe two at the most, of those guys actually have the ability to move to a WR position and do something but certainly not all four. Seems like something has to give with that group of players.

Spivey has looked good in workouts. Dontae Jones has been switched to WR and he should be in the rotation. He was probably our best TE last year as far as catching the ball IMO. Cumbest I think could play WR and be OK. Powers Warren has some football political connections that can be beneficial to us.

Todd4State
06-10-2020, 01:00 AM
Charles is our 3rd corner right now. I could easily name 10 players to cut over him. maroonmania names a couple in the post above.

That's scary.

FISHDAWG
06-10-2020, 07:06 AM

I totally agree

KentuckyDawg13
06-10-2020, 07:43 AM
And they still have 87 on the roster, more cuts coming...

KentuckyDawg13
06-10-2020, 07:48 AM
He isn't a pure receiver, has been used as a RB and a DB too. Was considered the #5 Athlete in the Country coming out of high school. Utility player with elite skills.

NWADAWG
06-10-2020, 08:40 AM
I find it very hard to believe a consensus 4 star player isn?t better than at least someone on our roster at his positions. We can?t cut someone like Powers Warren because of some political issues but there are a lot of players that aren?t ever going to play a meaningful snap for us that could be processed. These players have let it be known that college football is a business decision for them. We?ve had 2 try to sign with our arch rival in the last month and another 4 year starter leave for another conference foe. We need to look out for MSU. The days of loyalty are gone on both sides of the aisle. If they want it to be all about business I?m happy to oblige them.

I remember reading an article several years ago about how Saban processed players in the fall just before the season started so that those players were left with the delimma of lose your scholarship for at least a year and hope you can transfer later or stay at bama on some medical leave type scholarship and just no longer be a football player.

So my real question is, if we process players, do they have the option of staying on some type of scholarship? The players being processed are not your future NFL guys so their future income is dependent on them being able to afford to stay in school and get their degree. If we can process them and still guarantee them some scholarship, then I say process away.

HoopsDawg
06-10-2020, 09:43 AM
He isn't a pure receiver, has been used as a RB and a DB too. Was considered the #5 Athlete in the Country coming out of high school. Utility player with elite skills.

Seems like he would be a good Dog Safety.

Jarius
06-10-2020, 10:10 AM
And they still have 87 on the roster, more cuts coming...

We have 83 on scholarship right now

Ifyouonlyknew
06-10-2020, 10:26 AM
We have 83 on scholarship right now

I think he's referring to Bama.

SheltonChoked
06-10-2020, 10:50 AM
Spivey has looked good in workouts. Dontae Jones has been switched to WR and he should be in the rotation. He was probably our best TE last year as far as catching the ball IMO. Cumbest I think could play WR and be OK. Powers Warren has some football political connections that can be beneficial to us.

LOL. Some Political Connection, his dad is the Commissioner of the Big 10....

Guy's like that, you don't cut. We should have learned our lesson on that with Ty Grisham.

Jarius
06-10-2020, 10:51 AM
I think he's referring to Bama.

Man that's so ridiculous. They have more 4 and 5 star players than they have room for on the 85 man roster.

Lord McBuckethead
06-10-2020, 03:07 PM
Man that's so ridiculous. They have more 4 and 5 star players than they have room for on the 85 man roster.

We need two difference makers. One at DB and one at WR. We have used 83 spots currently, correct. I don't see the problem. We have undersigned every year for a decade. It would be nice to start the season with 85 for once.

msu15
06-10-2020, 03:30 PM
We need two difference makers. One at DB and one at WR. We have used 83 spots currently, correct. I don't see the problem. We have undersigned every year for a decade. It would be nice to start the season with 85 for once.
We only have 83 spots for the next two seasons due to tutorgate

Todd4State
06-10-2020, 03:39 PM

That always drove me nuts every time Dan and Joe undersigned. Our spots are valuable and that's just leaving spots on the table.

Jarius
06-10-2020, 03:42 PM

Yea like MSU15 said, we can't have 85 this year. We will have to process some people if we want to add anyone else.

TUSK
06-10-2020, 09:08 PM
Yea like MSU15 said, we can't have 85 this year. We will have to process some people if we want to add anyone else.

I member when "process" was "evil"....

https://youtu.be/ndI9vkgw_1Y

msu15
06-10-2020, 09:19 PM

Guilty

Jarius
06-10-2020, 09:41 PM

A lot of transfer rules have changed since that time. If kids can do what they want then so should the schools.

TUSK
06-11-2020, 06:11 AM
Guilty

Rep added for honesty & your "Location"...

BB30
06-11-2020, 09:57 AM
IMO do what you can to get him on the roster. We need as many quality athletes as we can get. We'll probably end up losing a couple more next year in the portal anyway. Figure out who your weak links are and get them out of there.

If kids can just up and leave whenever they want we shouldn't feel bad about cutting a kid assuming there is a legitimate reason.

It looks as though the portal will be a good friend to us. We may lose a few here and there but the upside to gaining better athletes plays in our favor. I think we simply have more to gain with the portal.

Lord McBuckethead
06-11-2020, 01:07 PM
We only have 83 spots for the next two seasons due to tutorgate

Thanks. Forgot about that.

Lord McBuckethead
06-11-2020, 01:09 PM
Well if someone needs to go.....i vote for one of the guys involved in Tutorgate that will never see the field anyway. This is the SEC. This is not the glee club.

Lord McBuckethead
06-11-2020, 01:10 PM
In reality, I love all the guys that decided on MSU for their future.

msu15
06-11-2020, 02:37 PM
Rep added for honesty & your "Location"...

Hahahaha, I was wondering when you'd catch it lolol