PDA

View Full Version : 2020 MSU Offensive Talent vs Auburn Offensive Talent

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 02:15 PM
Was just kind of curious where stood so I decided to take a look today how our 2020 offensive talent compares to Auburn's 2020 offensive talent.

What I found was pretty surprising & additionally, Auburn has a Hevesy type deal going on right now where their LT & LG are both former defensive linemen with the LT moving over this Spring & the LG moving over last year.

Any thoughts?

https://i.imgur.com/1v7k30G.jpg

SouthMSDog
06-09-2020, 02:22 PM
Wasn't Farrar committed to Mullen for like 12 minutes before signing with Oklahoma? He and Racey McMath (LSU) were two big misses that year, if I recall correctly.

BrunswickDawg
06-09-2020, 02:23 PM
It going to boil down to 1 thing - can our guys pick up the new offense and defense in 6 weeks of camp and the first 4 games of the season. We have the talent to win those first 4, but will we have the knowledge and comfort within the systems to do it?
If we can, we are going to be hell come October

TrapGame
06-09-2020, 02:30 PM
It going to boil down to 1 thing - can our guys pick up the new offense and defense in 6 weeks of camp and the first 4 games of the season. We have the talent to win those first 4, but will we have the knowledge and comfort within the systems to do it?

Leach Install >>>> Moorhead Install

Since the entire offense won't have to work a trig problem on the field in 3 seconds I'm going with it's gonna click early.

KOdawg1
06-09-2020, 02:34 PM
Now do defense. Just curious

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 02:36 PM

Don't be a party pooper. That wasn't my post.

I just thought it was interesting that on paper our offense is better than Auburn's.

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 02:37 PM

This is my thought as well

KOdawg1
06-09-2020, 03:06 PM
Don't be a party pooper. That wasn't my post.

I just thought it was interesting that on paper our offense is better than Auburn's.

Not being a party pooper jackass.

I was genuinely curious. I thought it'd be cool if we had more defensive talent too.

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 03:10 PM
Not being a party pooper jackass.

I was genuinely curious. I thought it'd be cool if we had more defensive talent too.

Gotcha. That may hurt my feelings.

I usually only dive into projects that are biased towards what I want to believe

KOdawg1
06-09-2020, 03:12 PM

I usually only dive into projects that are biased towards what I want to believe

Touche' lol

gtowndawg
06-09-2020, 03:26 PM

Let's don't and say we did.

BeardoMSU
06-09-2020, 03:30 PM

I lol'd. Nice.

KOdawg1
06-09-2020, 03:36 PM
Let's don't and say we did.
I mean I expect them to have more, but I was just curious to see how close it was. I've always thought Auburn was overhyped as a program. They've had a few good/lucky years, but you take those away, and they look pretty average.

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 03:42 PM
I mean I expect them to have more, but I was just curious to see how close it was. I've always thought Auburn was overhyped as a program. They've had a few good/lucky years, but you take those away, and they look pretty average.

Auburn is usually just Auburn, which is really solid but not spectacular. We just happen to play like absolute trash every time we go to Jordan Hare. When we play them at home, it's usually a 50/50 game, but because they are more consistent than us, we've had some down years where we get blown out, not because they're good, but because we sucked

Additionally, I find that most times that I do comparisons with MSU vs another team, it's usually Auburn.

I do that because I believe an Auburn type program is what MSU should strive to be & it's realistic that we can be that. So I'm always trying to figure out where we stand in comparison to them.

We can't be LSU(no instate competition) or Bama(tradition & national fan base), but we can be Auburn. Sure they're location, stadium size, & solid tradition make them better than us, but I don't see a ton of barriers that prevent us from becoming them. At least I feel that those barriers are somewhat within our control

KOdawg1
06-09-2020, 03:50 PM
I do that because I believe an Auburn type program is what MSU should strive to be & it's realistic that we can be that. So I'm always trying to figure out where we stand in comparison to them.

We can't be LSU(no instate competition) or Bama(tradition & national fan base), but we can be Auburn. Sure they're location, stadium size, & solid tradition make them better than us, but I don't see a ton of barriers that prevent us from becoming them. At least I feel that those barriers are somewhat within our control

I agree with you

Walkerhill
06-09-2020, 06:43 PM
Was just kind of curious where stood so I decided to take a look today how our 2020 offensive talent compares to Auburn's 2020 offensive talent.

What I found was pretty surprising & additionally, Auburn has a Hevesy type deal going on right now where their LT & LG are both former defensive linemen with the LT moving over this Spring & the LG moving over last year.

Any thoughts?

https://i.imgur.com/1v7k30G.jpg

Wonder how much more that is than Leach’s best offensive talent ever at either Washington State or Texas Tech. You would have to go all the way back to the OK OC years and even then may not beat it.

Is this the most offensive talent he has ever had as a coordinator or head coach?

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 06:57 PM
Wonder how much more that is than Leach?s best offensive talent ever at either Washington State or Texas Tech. You would have to go all the way back to the OK OC years and even then may not beat it.

Is this the most offensive talent he has ever had as a coordinator or head coach?

Likely. If this were Leach's 3rd or 4th year here and this talent had been in the offense for a few years along with a real a lot guy, it would be a playoff level offense.

msstate7
06-09-2020, 07:00 PM
Why isn't Schwartz listed? He was really good as a freshman. Auburn's WRs are head and shoulders above ours imo.

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 07:05 PM
Why isn't Schwartz listed? He was really good as a freshman. Auburn's WRs are head and shoulders above ours imo.

I just used Our Lads. I could easily add Marks to up ours as well and Johnson, Cole Smith.

msstate7
06-09-2020, 07:10 PM
I just used Our Lads. I could easily add Marks to up ours as well and Johnson, Cole Smith.

Schwartz was their 2nd leading receiver last year in catches and yards though. Weird our lads doesn't have him starting.

I think our oline (assuming they can transition into heavy pass protection) is better on paper.

I think Costello is better on paper.

We're better on paper at rb.

Coach34
06-09-2020, 07:28 PM

It’s C34 Message-boarding 101

Coach34
06-09-2020, 07:30 PM
With the additions at QB and now at WR- our Offense has a chance to be really decent. But we just simply won’t be very good on D. There is no hiding that

dawgday166
06-09-2020, 08:22 PM
Schwartz was their 2nd leading receiver last year in catches and yards though. Weird our lads doesn't have him starting.

I think our oline (assuming they can transition into heavy pass protection) is better on paper.

I think Costello is better on paper.

We're better on paper at rb.

How are we off paper? :confused:

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 08:30 PM
It’s C34 Message-boarding 101

I learned from the best

https://media1.giphy.com/media/J2xkAW1E8kvyE/giphy.gif

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 08:31 PM
With the additions at QB and now at WR- our Offense has a chance to be really decent. But we just simply won’t be very good on D. There is no hiding that

We'll have to take some chances for sure. Worst thing we can do is just let people ram it down our throat.

BuckyIsAB****
06-09-2020, 09:20 PM

The offense itself is not hard to learn. It will be more difficult for us bc we have never done it but if they are all in they will have it down pretty early. It will be the toughest on the OL. They will do more quick setting and vertical setting than they have ever done. The defense will be the biggest learning curve but for the most part except for CB we are playing with guys who have at least been around a while.

BuckyIsAB****
06-09-2020, 09:22 PM

Auburn can?t throw the ball
Remember that before you brag on their WRs. It wasn?t all on Nix

Homedawg
06-09-2020, 09:24 PM

If our defense is half ass good, Arnett will be worth more than what he's making.

BuckyIsAB****
06-09-2020, 09:24 PM

We will be competitive on D as long as we don?t have a lot of injuries. The starters are ok the depth is concerning esp at ILB and CB

Homedawg
06-09-2020, 09:34 PM
We will be competitive on D as long as we don?t have a lot of injuries. The starters are ok the depth is concerning esp at ILB and CB

We have no depth on the dL and no depth at any secondary spot. Lb well we don't have any there either. Can't play that way in this league.

Jarius
06-09-2020, 10:28 PM
We have no depth on the dL and no depth at any secondary spot. Lb well we don't have any there either. Can't play that way in this league.

Losing Russell for the year on top of Lovett transferring really sucks.

Homedawg
06-09-2020, 10:32 PM
Losing Russell for the year on top of Lovett transferring really sucks.

Yep. Huge. Losing Lovett is way bigger than what everyone in here wants to admit.

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 10:35 PM
Yep. Huge. Losing Lovett is way bigger than what everyone in here wants to admit.

We really need Allen Love to be decent

Homedawg
06-09-2020, 10:45 PM
We really need Allen Love to be decent

Well, I'll say this, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

SheltonChoked
06-10-2020, 04:14 PM

https://www.cougcenter.com/2012/4/6/2913270/mike-leach-install-air-raid-offense
http://smartfootball.com/gameplanning/why-every-team-should-install-its-offense-in-three-days-and-other-political-thoughts-about-successful-offense

Leach has said he installs the offense in 3 days. Then just repeats the 3 day install over and over.

Airraid Installation
Install Airraid in Three Days
Day 1
Runs Base
Quick Passes Hitch Slant Fade/out
Dropback Passes Mesh Four Verticals Shallow
Screens/Specials Quick screens

Day 2
Runs Zone Toss
Quick Passes Hitch Slant Fade/Out Y-Stick
Dropback Passes Mesh All-Curl Shakes Curl/Wheel
Screens/Specials WR/Jailbreak screen

Day 3
Runs Power Draw
Quick Passes Hitch Y-Corner Y-Stick Slant
Dropback Passes Mesh Four Verticals Y-Sail/Flood Y-Cross
Screens/Specials RB Screen Bootlegs

ShotgunDawg
06-10-2020, 04:18 PM
https://www.cougcenter.com/2012/4/6/2913270/mike-leach-install-air-raid-offense
http://smartfootball.com/gameplanning/why-every-team-should-install-its-offense-in-three-days-and-other-political-thoughts-about-successful-offense

Leach has said he installs the offense in 3 days. Then just repeats the 3 day install over and over.

Airraid Installation
Install Airraid in Three Days
Day 1
Runs Base
Quick Passes Hitch Slant Fade/out
Dropback Passes Mesh Four Verticals Shallow
Screens/Specials Quick screens

Day 2
Runs Zone Toss
Quick Passes Hitch Slant Fade/Out Y-Stick
Dropback Passes Mesh All-Curl Shakes Curl/Wheel
Screens/Specials WR/Jailbreak screen

Day 3
Runs Power Draw
Quick Passes Hitch Y-Corner Y-Stick Slant
Dropback Passes Mesh Four Verticals Y-Sail/Flood Y-Cross
Screens/Specials RB Screen Bootlegs

With 6 weeks of practice & 5 days of practice, we should at minimum get to run each day 10 times.

That sounds like it should enough when you additionally consider that our players are out on the field right now throwing the rock around

Coach34
06-10-2020, 05:50 PM

Agree- not only are some starters very iffy- we have zero depth. We lost a helluva lot on the back end of our D from 2019. We are counting on jucos to fill in without any Spring practice- and even with Spring jucos usually take half a season to adjust. Even being well-coached- this unit will struggle in 2020.

R2Dawg
06-10-2020, 07:11 PM

Agree with that. Our starting D will compete and be OK. We need some new guys to really show up and provide some depth to make it thru the season.. Our O can help a lot if they stay on the field and score points which can make the opposing team off balance. We'll see....

Bothrops
06-10-2020, 07:49 PM
Yeah we just aren't gonna be able to stop anybody, I'm afraid.

RiverCityDawg
06-11-2020, 06:50 AM
Agree- not only are some starters very iffy- we have zero depth. We lost a helluva lot on the back end of our D from 2019. We are counting on jucos to fill in without any Spring practice- and even with Spring jucos usually take half a season to adjust. Even being well-coached- this unit will struggle in 2020.

Not only did we lose a lot, our secondary recruiting has been pretty atrocious. We got nothing in Charles, Reed, Furge, Guidry and Jarrian Jones. Lawrence was a developmental guy that might never contribute. Duncan and Preston are redshirt freshman that we now need to start or play a lot of reps and no one knows if they're any good.

Basically we have Emerson, Williams, Murphy and maybe Peters that we think will be solid. CJ Morgan is still hurt and wasn't great before, but at least he's played. We REALLY need Dean, Cass and/or Richardson to be day one solid contributors or starters at safety and Forbes to be a solid backup at corner. We're an injury to one of those top 4 guys away from having someone out there that probably has no business playing yet.

SheltonChoked
06-11-2020, 09:00 AM
With 6 weeks of practice & 5 days of practice, we should at minimum get to run each day 10 times.

That sounds like it should enough when you additionally consider that our players are out on the field right now throwing the rock around

There is also this:
All a playbook does is document what you do. We, as coaches, know what we?re running and how to teach it. ... I think playbooks are outdated. Now everything is on video, and your playbook is your cut-ups. ... The DVD image is more compelling, and easier to learn from anyway. I don?t think a playbook is the best way to teach your offense.

Leach hasn't printed and distributed a playbook since he was the offensive coordinator at Oklahoma. But if he did print a playbook, it would be similar to that Oklahoma playbook that was only 43 pages, containing 25 passing plays and 10 running plays.

So they should have been watching the video cut ups for their position for 6 months now.

Not the same as on the field practice, but better than just seeing it on paper.

RiverCityDawg
06-11-2020, 09:09 AM
There is also this:

So they should have been watching the video cut ups for their position for 6 months now.

Not the same as on the field practice, but better than just seeing it on paper.

No doubt. Most of the guys already "know" the offense. They will of course do a full formal install, but for a lot of these guys it's going to be more about physical reps than actually learning the Air Raid concepts. Guarantee you they already know the concepts.

SheltonChoked
06-11-2020, 03:12 PM
No doubt. Most of the guys already "know" the offense. They will of course do a full formal install, but for a lot of these guys it's going to be more about physical reps than actually learning the Air Raid concepts. Guarantee you they already know the concepts.

"Run to Grass" makes the reads easier.

And when real practice starts 5 QB's are throwing to 5 receivers every play. and no stretching, just drilling plays at different speeds to warm up. So Will Rodgers gets the same number of passing reps as KJ Costello. Every WR gets a pass thrown to them, and every DB gets a live pass to defend every play.

Can the defense install as quickly?