PDA

View Full Version : I Found Shavers' Only Catch Last Year For Alabama

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 08:20 AM
Fast forward to the 12:05 mark of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fLs6B3yZyE

coastratdog
06-09-2020, 08:45 AM
Nice catch and also had some nice blocks.

HailStateSZN19
06-09-2020, 08:51 AM
It's RAW talent and untapped potential at this point by my gosh, the intangibles and physical tools are just freakish and what WR coaches dream of.

We're really about to have a 6'6" 215 lb WR who was a former top 100 recruit, who runs a verified 4.38 forty. Add to it Caleb Ducking, not as talented there's no debate there but also a 6'4"-6'5" 200-210 WR who also runs in the 4.4's at that size. Both guys are super raw but damn at those measurables. I'm just pumped it's THIS staff that gets to try and unlock their potential and try to get the most out of these guys rather than the previous staff (& yes I understand we would have never gotten Shavers with the previous staff, I'm just saying). I'm very excited to see what Spurrier Jr. can do with Shavers especially.

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 08:53 AM
It's RAW talent and untapped potential at this point by my gosh, the intangibles and physical tools are just freakish and what WR coaches dream of.

We're really about to have a 6'6" 215 lb WR who was a former top 100 recruit, who runs a verified 4.38 forty. Add to it Caleb Ducking, not as talented there's no debate there but also a 6'4"-6'5" 200-210 WR who also runs in the 4.4's at that size. Both guys are super raw but damn at those measurables. I'm just pumped it's THIS staff that gets to try and unlock their potential and try to get the most out of these guys rather than the previous staff (& yes I understand we would have never gotten Shavers with the previous staff, I'm just saying). I'm very excited to see what Spurrier Jr. can do with Shavers especially.

I agree.

I also wonder if when guys get buried on the depth chart at Bama, it demotivates them to some degree.

I'm hopeful that this transfer will give Shaver's a spark & he'll thrive in Leach's offense.

No doubt that Leach is good at taking guys like this & getting them going.

Lord McBuckethead
06-09-2020, 08:57 AM
not sure if the tone of this OP was to be negative, but I look as though this guy only had one catch last year and he practiced all year behind the best WRs in the conference. Along with getting instructions from some of the best coaches in the nation. Sure he didn't get a shot, but he was playing behind some of the absolute best WRs in the country. Maybe an opportunity to catch 80 balls will change his focus and bring out the best in his abilities.

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 09:05 AM
not sure if the tone of this OP was to be negative, but I look as though this guy only had one catch last year and he practiced all year behind the best WRs in the conference. Along with getting instructions from some of the best coaches in the nation. Sure he didn't get a shot, but he was playing behind some of the absolute best WRs in the country. Maybe an opportunity to catch 80 balls will change his focus and bring out the best in his abilities.

Yeah, that's the million dollar question. What's wrong with him that caused him to only catch 1 ball?

My theory: He was obvious buried behind 1st rounders on the depth chart & didn't get to play much.

However, why then, with all the blow outs Bama had, did he only catch 1 ball?

After talking with someone yesterday that knows Shavers, they said he is a very smart kid but is a long strider & that limits his route tree.

So my guess is that since he only played when Bama was blowing someone out & really only ran deep routes for them, Bama just didn't go deep often when blowing teams out & that more than anything limited his catches

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 09:08 AM
What is exciting about Shavers is that he played in every game for Bama last year (special teams)

So this isn't a work ethic or attitude problem

HailStateSZN19
06-09-2020, 09:14 AM
One of the YouTube videos from a Bama site on Shavers transferring mentioned that Shavers and Mac Jones had developed some chemistry and camaraderie and had been tearing it up in practices together last year. So they were surprised he hadn't gotten on the field more at WR. But again, when you have Jeudy, Ruggs, Waddle, Smith, and Metchie all at the same time, I take that with a little grain of salt. Sure, I'd like for him to have more garbage time stats just to have more to look at but his intangibles and potential are good enough for me to take a shot on him. It's on Spurrier Jr. to get it out of him. He's gonna get the actual opportunities now, he just has to come in hungry and ready to work & like Shotgun said, he played ST in every game and Saban doesn't just stick any warm body out there for that so work ethic and attitude shouldn't be a problem.

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 09:23 AM
One of the YouTube videos from a Bama site on Shavers transferring mentioned that Shavers and Mac Jones had developed some chemistry and camaraderie and had been tearing it up in practices together last year. So they were surprised he hadn't gotten on the field more at WR. But again, when you have Jeudy, Ruggs, Waddle, Smith, and Metchie all at the same time, I take that with a little grain of salt. Sure, I'd like for him to have more garbage time stats just to have more to look at but his intangibles and potential are good enough for me to take a shot on him. It's on Spurrier Jr. to get it out of him. He's gonna get the actual opportunities now, he just has to come in hungry and ready to work & like Shotgun said, he played ST in every game and Saban doesn't just stick any warm body out there for that so work ethic and attitude shouldn't be a problem.

Saban has had very few tall WRs be successful. Julio was really good, but he's the freak of all freaks. Saban value route running & quickness, which he should, & he can recruit to get exactly what he wants.

Dawgology
06-09-2020, 09:47 AM
I wonder how many targets he had in relation to catches. If that was his only target of the season and he caught it (which was thrown a little over and behind him) then that is a really good sign. If he was targeted 20 times and caught 1 then...ehhhh.

HailStateSZN19
06-09-2020, 09:55 AM
I didn't realize his 14 yard rush was against us last year lol. Might be able to find a clip of it in some highlights on YT from that game.

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 09:57 AM
Here was Shaver's situation

Slade Bolden is a 5'11" slot guy & Metchie is a 6'0" slot guy.

Bama just didn't throw much to any of the non-1st rounders.

https://i.imgur.com/bn96NOz.jpg

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 10:04 AM
I didn't realize his 14 yard rush was against us last year lol. Might be able to find a clip of it in some highlights on YT from that game.

Fast forward to the 24:30 mark of this video. He's number 14. They also throw an incomplete pass on the drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS_YsJ20iOM

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 10:08 AM
The more I kind of dig here on Shavers, the more I believe he just didn't get opportunities at Bama.

Bama really only threw to the 1st rounders & then Saban just runs out the clock by running the ball.

MaroonFlounder
06-09-2020, 10:26 AM
According to Steve R. Great straight line speed. Not great routes/cuts.

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 10:28 AM

You needed Steve to tell you that?

He's basically a more talented version of O'Neal Wilder & I'm completely OK with that.

If he can stretch the safeties & create more room for Leach's mesh routes to work over the middle with Mitchell, Payton, & Heath, then it's going to be great for our offense

KOdawg1
06-09-2020, 10:31 AM

Tell him to run a vertical and let Costello get it to him

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 10:34 AM
Tell him to run a vertical and let Costello get it to him

Or take the safety with him & let Mitchell, Heath, & Payton tear up the mesh routes.

We haven't ever had a deep threat like this.

HailStateSZN19
06-09-2020, 10:35 AM
Can you imagine what it's going to be like from the 25-30 yd line and RZ situations when you have an actual physical 6'6" 215 WR (not a shot at Mitchell but he's not physical enough in those type situations) and a QB as accurate as Costello?

Ifyouonlyknew
06-09-2020, 11:08 AM
Can you imagine what it's going to be like from the 25-30 yd line and RZ situations when you have an actual physical 6'6" 215 WR (not a shot at Mitchell but he's not physical enough in those type situations) and a QB as accurate as Costello?

Do we know if Shavers is more physical than Osirus?

HailStateSZN19
06-09-2020, 11:13 AM
Do we know if Shavers is more physical than Osirus?

You realize the requirement to be "more physical than Osirus" isn't what you're making it sound like, right?

You can take the wait and see approach but just going off his physical stature, yeah I'm gonna side with he's more physical than Osirus.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-09-2020, 11:17 AM
You realize the requirement to be "more physical than Osirus" isn't what you're making it sound like, right?

You can take the wait and see approach but just going off his physical stature, yeah I'm gonna side with he's more physical than Osirus.

I mean he's 1 inch taller & 5lbs heavier that's not much if any difference.

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 11:22 AM

True. He's certainly more athletic than Osirus.

Between Shavers, Osirus, & Heath our odds of finding a good matchup have increased dramatically

Ifyouonlyknew
06-09-2020, 11:23 AM
All I'm saying is if Shavers last 2 seasons he had catches like these we'd be talking about him as a 1st rd draft pick. I think Osirus will he the #1 guy & it won't be close. He just needs those targets.

https://youtu.be/QmsKDqoF3ss?t=17

Ifyouonlyknew
06-09-2020, 11:25 AM
True. He's certainly more athletic than Osirus.

Between Shavers, Osirus, & Heath our odds of finding a good matchup have increased dramatically

He's definitely faster. Is he more agile? Stronger? Jump higher?

Those are the questions we don't know yet. If the coaching staff can turn that potential into production with Shavers, Heath, & Tulu then we're cooking with grease. Those are the 3 most naturally talented kids on the roster.

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 11:27 AM
He's definitely faster. Is he more agile? Stronger? Jump higher?

Those are the questions we don't know yet. If the coaching staff can turn that potential into production with Shavers, Heath, & Tulu then we're cooking with grease. Those are the 3 most naturally talented kids on the roster.

I agree. At very least, he'll compliment Osirus & take pressure off.

HailStateSZN19
06-09-2020, 11:28 AM

By physical stature, I mean just their appearance and muscle mass. They can be similar height and weight but look at the 2 of them and you can't tell me they look like they have the same muscular build.

We can agree to disagree here. But going off their muscular build, Shavers looks more solid to me than Osirus does which leads me to believe he will be a more physical WR.

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 11:31 AM
By physical stature, I mean just their appearance and muscle mass. They can be similar height and weight but look at the 2 of them and you can't tell me they look like they have the same muscular build.

We can agree to disagree here. But going off their muscular build, Shavers looks more solid to me than Osirus does which leads me to believe he will be a more physical WR.

He's more athletic, twitchy, & explosive than Mitchell. That's fairly easy to see on video.

However, Mitchell may have more body control & ball skills. We'll see.

To me there is no point in comparing them. They aren't competing against each other. Hopefully they both end up with 70 catches

HailStateSZN19
06-09-2020, 11:34 AM
And I'm not saying one is better than the other. That isn't what IYOK and me were discussing back and forth. It was strictly about who would be more "physical" as in jump balls and stuff like that.

I still think Osirus will have a hell of a year and will probably lead us in yards. I'm not comparing them together overall whatsoever. Just that 1 aspect of their game.

Regardless, they're 2 tall, rangy WR's that I think will both have very solid seasons in the air raid.

KOdawg1
06-09-2020, 12:01 PM
That catch Osiris made @ Arky last year was impressive.

trob115
06-09-2020, 12:05 PM
Osiris is my breakout candidate. If he can put together good tape and stats, he's got a shot at the NFL.

ZedFedder
06-09-2020, 01:42 PM
That highlight video has me excited on Mitchell.

MetEdDawg
06-09-2020, 03:05 PM
What is exciting about Shavers is that he played in every game for Bama last year (special teams)

So this isn't a work ethic or attitude problem

Guy I know that has Bama season tickets said this same thing to me last night. Said there just wasn't room and that they are bringing in so much talent at WR that talented guys like Shavers just don't get enough reps to be happy. Last year no chance to break through with the talent they had. But he said this year with Waddle and DeVonta, Shavers best case is still only 3rd most receptions. But with the other talent they have he's probably going to be fighting for 4th or 5th most receptions.

Said he hated to see him go but there just wasn't enough room for all those WRs to get catches and understood him leaving.

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2020, 03:08 PM
Guy I know that has Bama season tickets said this same thing to me last night. Said there just wasn't room and that they are bringing in so much talent at WR that talented guys like Shavers just don't get enough reps to be happy. Last year no chance to break through with the talent they had. But he said this year with Waddle and DeVonta, Shavers best case is still only 3rd most receptions. But with the other talent they have he's probably going to be fighting for 4th or 5th most receptions.

Said he hated to see him go but there just wasn't enough room for all those WRs to get catches and understood him leaving.

I'm coming around on this transfer portal.

We'll certainly lose some guys, but we are entering the greatest era of college football talent distribution in the history of the sport.

We just need to play our cards right & we'll be fielding the most talented teams in our history soon