PDA

View Full Version : Breaking: MSU Close to Pulling Off Block Buster Off Season Trade*

ShotgunDawg
06-08-2020, 04:03 PM
In an unheard trade, MSU appears to be on the verge of completing its' off season hot stove by pulling off a massive 5 Team trade:

Traded:

Prospect Jarrian Jones - FSU
Prospect Fabian Lovett - FSU
Veteran Stewart Reese - Florida

Received:

KJ Costello - Stanford
Scott Lashely - Alabama
Tyrell Shavers for 2 years - Alabama

Based on recruiting rankings, MSU gave up 266 of recruiting rankings points in return for 284 recruiting rankings points.

In my mind, Reese & Lashely are a wash.
Costello is the best single player in the trade
Shavers fills the single biggest need in the trade.

What we gave up was really the potential of Jones & Lovett. That's it.

Welcome to the era of the transfer portal!

Did we win the trade?

HoopsDawg
06-08-2020, 04:10 PM
Lovett hurts. Overall, we upgraded.

I wish we had 2 more quality DB's.

Todd4State
06-08-2020, 04:11 PM
Considering that Jones is a ***** and Lovett can't do anything without his Dad holding his hand- just based on that yes.

Reese has really slow feet. Trading him for Lashley is probably even.

Traded the girls to FSU for two potential first round talents at two of our biggest positions of need on offense- advantage MSU.

I do have to wonder about our defense. It's going to be like 2017 where it comes down to how big of an impact the JUCO guys make. I'd like to see this lineup.

DE- Kobe Jones
NT- Pickering- I think he would have at worst split time with Lovett if not eventually beat him out.
DE- Spencer

Edge/OLB- Tre Lawson
MLB- Errol
Edge/OLB- Jordan Davis

CB- Tyler Williams
CB- Emerson
FS- Marcus Murphy- makes more sense to put him here than DOG with Jones gone. I think he is one of our best cover guys at the traditional safety position. And he's fast and can cover ground.
DOG/Flex- Tyrus Wheat- dude is a Ashley Cooper clone
DOG/Flex- Fred Peters

Ideally I'd like to add another good CB and move Williams to safety but that's probably a pipe dream.

Johnson85
06-08-2020, 04:12 PM
In an unheard trade, MSU appears to be on the verge of completing its' off season hot stove by pulling off a massive 5 Team trade:

Traded:

Prospect Jarrian Jones - FSU
Prospect Fabian Lovett - FSU
Veteran Stewart Reese - Florida

Received:

KJ Costello - Stanford
Scott Lashely - Alabama
Tyrell Shavers for 2 years - Alabama

Based on recruiting rankings, MSU gave up 266 of recruiting rankings points in return for 284 recruiting rankings points.

In my mind, Reese & Lashely are a wash.
Costello is the best single player in the trade
Shavers fills the single biggest need in the trade.

What we gave up was really the potential of Jones & Lovett. That's it.

Welcome to the era of the transfer portal!

Did we win the trade?

Reese > Lashley until proven otherwise.

But one year of Costello is probably worth one year of Lovett and Jones, so Shavers is just gravy past that if you're just comparing this year. Down the line it may change if Lovett and or Jones turn into something and if Shavers turns out to be mediocre, but I think if you had asked if we would make that trade the day after the Pirate was hired, most people would have said yes. Really going to depend on how Shavers turns out though, because it is tough giving up six years of defense between two players in exchange for 3 years of offense between two players. Especially since Lovett will probably be productive even if his work ethic isn't the greatest based on his RS freshman numbers.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-08-2020, 04:12 PM

Same way I see it. We're still looking at DB.

ShotgunDawg
06-08-2020, 04:13 PM
Something else to consider is that we didn't give up future trade capital.

We can do this every year.

Todd4State
06-08-2020, 04:15 PM
Same way I see it. We're still looking at DB.

Good! Hopefully we can find two. I was watching Kyle Cass's video last night and I liked how physical he was. He and Caleb Ducking could be big time JUCO steals.

Todd4State
06-08-2020, 04:17 PM
Something else to consider is that we didn't give up future trade capital.

We can do this every year.

We also added Reed Buys over Brevyn Jones which is a win. We added Brandon Ruiz at kicker as well and that should help our KO situation.

Political Hack
06-08-2020, 04:17 PM
Free agent market makes annual recruiting rankings pretty pointless... or more pointless than they already were.

Todd4State
06-08-2020, 04:20 PM
Free agent market makes annual recruiting rankings pretty pointless... or more pointless than they already were.

Did the recruiting experts ever find Mississippi on the map?**

Todd4State
06-08-2020, 04:29 PM
Does LSU have any defensive backs that don't want to be there anymore? Asking for a friend.

Political Hack
06-08-2020, 04:44 PM
Did the recruiting experts ever find Mississippi on the map?**

No. Chris Jones was a 2 star entering his senior season.

K9 Avenger
06-08-2020, 04:45 PM
Lovett made 19 tackles in 13 games....how do we replace that kind of production?***

Madisonmd
06-08-2020, 05:53 PM
Wheat has WAY outgrown DB!!

Jack Lambert
06-08-2020, 05:57 PM

they should come out with the final rankings Sep 3rd each year.

Jarius
06-08-2020, 06:08 PM
they should come out with the final rankings Sep 3rd each year.

We would have a top 15 class with the people we added. The 2019 and 2018 classes would drop though.

ShotgunDawg
06-08-2020, 06:12 PM

Agree. We should be heavy participants in this every year.

Make sure we end the Spring with 80 guys on scholly & save 5 spots to cherry pick blue blood 2nd teamers

Commercecomet24
06-08-2020, 06:26 PM
We gonna be really good if this Leach guy gets off his butt and starts recruiting and getting us some players*******

ShotgunDawg
06-08-2020, 06:38 PM
We gonna be really good if this Leach guy gets off his butt and starts recruiting and getting us some players*******

Nah, remember Leach can't croot

Commercecomet24
06-08-2020, 06:40 PM
Nah, remember Leach can't croot

Yeah he sucks, don't care about crootin****

ShotgunDawg
06-08-2020, 06:49 PM
Yeah he sucks, don't care about crootin****

What a terrible hire. He'll never be able to croot the players to run his offense at MSU****

5 months later.....

StateDawg44
06-08-2020, 07:54 PM
Agree. We should be heavy participants in this every year.

Make sure we end the Spring with 80 guys on scholly & save 5 spots to cherry pick blue blood 2nd teamers

My how your feelings about the transfer portal flop when it's convenient for MSU.

It seems we are at the crest of the rollercoaster known as The Shotgun. Soon enough we will have our hands in the air screaming with joy only to wind up back near the ground with you and your faux outrage. What a ride.

ShotgunDawg
06-08-2020, 08:31 PM
My how your feelings about the transfer portal flop when it's convenient for MSU.

It seems we are at the crest of the rollercoaster known as The Shotgun. Soon enough we will have our hands in the air screaming with joy only to wind up back near the ground with you and your faux outrage. What a ride.

I didn't say I liked it, but, if this is the world we live in, we may as well dominate it.

msu15
06-08-2020, 08:40 PM

Once it was revealed that Fabian was the one that wanted to talk to the coach about the workouts, he wasn't a loss for me. He's soft.

Jack Lambert
06-08-2020, 08:48 PM

The difference between a bitch and a whore. A whore will do it with everyone. A bitch will do it with everyone but you.

R2Dawg
06-08-2020, 08:53 PM
Considering that Jones is a ***** and Lovett can't do anything without his Dad holding his hand- just based on that yes.

Traded the girls to FSU for two potential first round talents at two of our biggest positions of need on offense- advantage MSU.

I do have to wonder about our defense. It's going to be like 2017 where it comes down to how big of an impact the JUCO guys make. I'd like to see this lineup.

DE- Kobe Jones
NT- Pickering- I think he would have at worst split time with Lovett if not eventually beat him out.
DE- Spencer

Edge/OLB- Tre Lawson
MLB- Errol
Edge/OLB- Jordan Davis

CB- Tyler Williams
CB- Emerson
FS- Marcus Murphy- makes more sense to put him here than DOG with Jones gone. I think he is one of our best cover guys at the traditional safety position. And he's fast and can cover ground.
DOG/Flex- Fred Peters

Ideally I'd like to add another good CB and move Williams to safety but that's probably a pipe dream.

That is a pretty talented D right there. I haven't seen Wheat play but when you say Cooper, you get me a little excited. I'm bullish on Fred Peters. Looking for a breakout year for him. If Spencer can stay injury free, he could have a good year.

Todd4State
06-08-2020, 08:53 PM
No. Chris Jones was a 2 star entering his senior season.

Remember when they said that Robert Nkemdiche was better? LOL.

I'll admit that I had some concerns and recruiting was one of them. However I figured it wouldn't be worse than Dan. I had no clue that it would start out WAY better than Dan. I guess having a coach that actually wants to be here makes a difference. Or maybe he's just terrible at recruiting since I have heard a ton of complaints from Florida fans about the usual suspects and it seems like he is hitting the portal hard himself every year. And what's up with him being in Florida at one of the blueblood schools in the SEC but he has to rely on his old connections in Mississippi to try to poach players? Dan is terrible at recruiting and too arrogant to do anything about it.

I'll say this about it- I don't have a problem if our players leave and it's on the up and up. The guys that Ole Miss tried to poach- yeah I had a problem with that. Not so much Lovett but Jones. Reese wants to play with his brother? That's fine. Keytaeon wants to go somewhere that his skill set fits the offense better? That's fine too. But I just want it to be on the up and up. Ole Miss using Mike Espy, Shay Hodge, T-Buck and some boosters to steal players? HELL NO. And kudos to Cohen for fighting it.

Todd4State
06-08-2020, 08:55 PM
That is a pretty talented D right there. I haven't seen Wheat play but when you say Cooper, you get me a little excited. I'm bullish on Fred Peters. Looking for a breakout year for him. If Spencer can stay injury free, he could have a good year.

Wheat was 235 when I last checked but if he's bigger now he may have grown out of that position. Peters played well the last three games. I think the lightbulb went off.

The biggest concern to me isn't the starters. It's depth.

Dawgology
06-08-2020, 08:59 PM
I like that Leach is excited about recruiting. That gives me hope.

Todd4State
06-08-2020, 09:02 PM

You know at the time it never really occurred to me that maybe it was more about where he was recruiting to. We have way more resources than Texas Tech or Washington State for football. He has to be excited because recruiting here has to be a lot easier.

Dawgology
06-08-2020, 09:03 PM
You know at the time it never really occurred to me that maybe it was more about where he was recruiting to. We have way more resources than Texas Tech or Washington State for football. He has to be excited because recruiting here has to be a lot easier.

That what I’m thinking. Budget and available talent has to be higher.

BrunswickDawg
06-08-2020, 09:15 PM
That what I?m thinking. Budget and available talent has to be higher.

He talked about on one of the podcast interviews - maybe with Cohen?? Said that the talent within 5 hours drive any direction was a huge advantage compared to what they were used to at TT or WSU - and that it made it a ton easier because they could hit so many schools on a single trip. WSU you had to fly or drive 10 hours just to go see 1 kid.

Jack Lambert
06-08-2020, 09:58 PM

I think he is excited because he is finally in recruiting heaven in the South. Now once he learns who he is up against and the fact that the other SEC school cheats like hell I hope that excitement doesn't change.

Lord McBuckethead
06-09-2020, 12:02 AM
And not to mention, Leech has the "Mike Leech" allure when he shows up. Dan wasn't even liked by some hs coaches, and Joe talked in too many cliches.

msu15
06-09-2020, 01:12 AM
And not to mention, Leech has the "Mike Leech" allure when he shows up. Dan wasn't even liked by some hs coaches, and Joe talked in too many cliches.

Here we go already spelling our coach's name wrong lol

FISHDAWG
06-09-2020, 07:27 AM
I think he's here because if you're a college football coach with a desire to compete (as most are) then which conference would be "The Place To Be" ? ..... true competitors run towards the competition - not away from it.... except for a few here and there like maybe Urban Myer but he went to a dominating team in a weaker conference. I just get the feeling that ML is a competitor and not just taking a financial raise ... in other words - He's a Player

RiverCityDawg
06-09-2020, 09:32 AM

DE- Kobe Jones
DE- Spencer

Edge/OLB- Tre Lawson
MLB- Errol
Edge/OLB- Jordan Davis

CB- Tyler Williams
CB- Emerson
DOG/Flex- Fred Peters

I think that's a lineup JLD would have run out there back in the day when everyone (except Kentucky) was running 21 or 22 personnel, but in today's world of 11 and 10, I think this lineup is too heavy.

Wheat is as big as Erroll at this point, and I don't think we would ever have Pickering, Spencer, Jones, Davis and Lawson on the field at the same time. Just not enough guys that can cover receivers. I would guess this as the starting front 6

DE - Spencer
NT - Pickering
DE - Jones

Edge - Davis/Lawson
MLB - Erroll
WLB - Brule/Wheat