PDA

View Full Version : Kellum Clark

Todd4State
06-07-2020, 02:17 PM
MSU baseball recruit just withdrew his name from the draft. He's a guy that could start on day one and is a legit power hitting prospect. He's a draft eligible sophomore. Was likely coming anyway but still big news for the baseball team.

Todd4State
06-07-2020, 02:18 PM
The draft is Weds. FWIW.

ShotgunDawg
06-07-2020, 02:31 PM
Weird situation. I think he's a better prospect than Blaze Jordan yet he never got that type of hype.

I guess we'll find out. He doesn't have quite the same power as Blaze but he's a better hitter and can actually play 3B

BiscuitEater
06-07-2020, 03:13 PM
He's a guy that could start on day one and is a legit power hitting prospect.

Preferred position?

Todd4State
06-07-2020, 03:15 PM
Preferred position?

I'm not sure what he prefers but I think he plays third base for us.

AlSwearengen
06-07-2020, 03:27 PM
That’s good news. I remembering Lemonis including him with Jordan and Hendrick when talking about impact type bats.

The Federalist Engineer
06-07-2020, 04:19 PM
MSU baseball recruit just withdrew his name from the draft. He's a guy that could start on day one and is a legit power hitting prospect. He's a draft eligible sophomore. Was likely coming anyway but still big news for the baseball team.

A first baseman with the name "Clark" seems so right for Mississippi State. This is great.

KOdawg1
06-07-2020, 04:49 PM
Weird situation. I think he's a better prospect than Blaze Jordan yet he never got that type of hype.

I guess we'll find out. He doesn't have quite the same power as Blaze but he's a better hitter and can actually play 3B
I was getting ready to type the same thing when I clicked on the thread.

Blayze gets hyped bc he hit bombs in HR derbies. Which impressive, no doubt, bc it shows his raw power, but he can't recognize a breaking ball yet. Keith Law basically ripped him apart and said he needed to come to college. I agree.

But back to Kellum, I'm excited about his potential. I think he can push for 3B playing time next year.

The Federalist Engineer
06-07-2020, 04:58 PM
I was getting ready to type the same thing when I clicked on the thread.

Blayze gets hyped bc he hit bombs in HR derbies. Which impressive, no doubt, bc it shows his raw power, but he can't recognize a breaking ball yet. Keith Law basically ripped him apart and said he needed to come to college. I agree.

But back to Kellum, I'm excited about his potential. I think he can push for 3B playing time next year.

MLB website said the same about Blaze in the prospect Bios. They said his showcases were brutal vs the elite pitchers of his age group. Not saying this to down-trod the kid...it could be that the Hype got into his head that HRs and he did not want to hit any singles.

No BS Dawg
06-07-2020, 05:00 PM
Great news on Clark. Very anxious about the draft and it?s impact on the future, as I know everyone is.

Todd4State
06-07-2020, 06:04 PM
MLB website said the same about Blaze in the prospect Bios. They said his showcases were brutal vs the elite pitchers of his age group. Not saying this to down-trod the kid...it could be that the Hype got into his head that HRs and he did not want to hit any singles.

Home run derby is different than a game. Blaze is still a great prospect though.

Todd4State
06-07-2020, 06:05 PM
Great news on Clark. Very anxious about the draft and it?s impact on the future, as I know everyone is.

Good news is it's five rounds so it should be cut and dried as to where MSU players stand.

ZedFedder
06-07-2020, 06:07 PM
Basically, outside of Ginn, if any of our players or prospects are drafted we can assume they are gone correct? I think it’s likely Ginn is gone as well.

Todd4State
06-07-2020, 06:09 PM
Basically, outside of Ginn, if any of our players or prospects are drafted we can assume they are gone correct? I think it’s likely Ginn is gone as well.

If Ginn is drafted I would assume he came to terms with some agreement with a team before he was drafted.

AlSwearengen
06-07-2020, 06:42 PM
If Ginn is drafted I would assume he came to terms with some agreement with a team before he was drafted.

I’m sure you are right and I would imagine that anyone who is drafted might be in the same boat. I can’t imagine teams taking risks in a 5 round draft.

Hambone
06-07-2020, 06:47 PM
Matt Wyatt stated that everything that he has heard is that JT is gone.

Basically stated his family told him that

Lord McBuckethead
06-07-2020, 07:43 PM
Well good for JT. Hope he wins a Cy Young or two.

Todd4State
06-07-2020, 08:24 PM
One thing I want to add is a big reason why Clark is coming to MSU is because we are the school that he has always dreamed of playing for. This is a GREAT thing because in the past we would get commitments from players that wanted to play for MSU but they would more often than not choose MLB over MSU when it came down to it. LSU does this quite a bit because of the local pride in their team and I'm starting to see that more and more with MSU. Ginn is another example. We'll see what happens with Blaze Jordan but the fact that he is committed to us and has a high number speaks a lot about our program.

TNDawg35
06-07-2020, 08:27 PM
I would rather have Clark than Blayze. If we loose one, take Blayze. I think Blayze has it in his head he is the next Bryce Harper, but he isn’t. Yes, he had power, but nowhere close the speed or glove as Harper. He needs college ball badly.

On Ginn, I’m kinda torn on him. If I was him, I’d take the money and run. However, I think he needs one more yr to show he is back and can handle a work load. Even Kieth Law said he didn’t really know about him. I’m just torn on him.

I think realistically we loose Ginn, Westy, Hendricks, and Foscue. I think the rest come to school. NOw I could also see Blayze going the Harper route and going JuCo, which would be a HUGE mistake to me. He either needs to take the money and run, or come to school, put the work in, and become a legit 1st rounder.

Captain Falcon
06-07-2020, 08:44 PM
I would rather have Clark than Blayze. If we loose one, take Blayze. I think Blayze has it in his head he is the next Bryce Harper, but he isn’t. Yes, he had power, but nowhere close the speed or glove as Harper. He needs college ball badly.

On Ginn, I’m kinda torn on him. If I was him, I’d take the money and run. However, I think he needs one more yr to show he is back and can handle a work load. Even Kieth Law said he didn’t really know about him. I’m just torn on him.

I think realistically we loose Ginn, Westy, Hendricks, and Foscue. I think the rest come to school. NOw I could also see Blayze going the Harper route and going JuCo, which would be a HUGE mistake to me. He either needs to take the money and run, or come to school, put the work in, and become a legit 1st rounder.

If Ginn comes back it won’t be to see if he can handle a starters work load. He probably wouldn’t even pitch for us until March or April and I highly doubt we would be counting on him to be a starter at that point.

Todd4State
06-07-2020, 09:05 PM

I don't think it's that with Blaze. I think it comes down to how much he wants and who is willing to pay it. IF anyone is willing to pay it.

Todd4State
06-07-2020, 09:06 PM
If Ginn comes back it won’t be to see if he can handle a starters work load. He probably wouldn’t even pitch for us until March or April and I highly doubt we would be counting on him to be a starter at that point.

I've heard rumors that he may hit and close once a weekend if he comes back. Most people think he is going pro though.

AlSwearengen
06-07-2020, 09:48 PM
I read a recent interview with Lemonis (last few days) on si.com. He was sure Foscue and Westburg are gone. On J.T., he sounded iffy but I got the feeling that he is expecting Ginn to go. I think the fact that we haven’t heard anything from Commerce on the subject in awhile speaks volumes.

He said if JT were to come back, we could expect one inning stints from him (he didn’t mention in what role or for how long but I don’t think he knows at this point).

He didn’t go into much detail on Jordan but I think they are just unsure about where he is going to be picked.

He said something that made me think that we have a few other signees (probably the pitchers) that a team might take a flier on and it is possible that we lose someone that we as fans are counting on having. I didn’t get the idea that the chances are high but it is a possibility.

Homedawg
06-07-2020, 10:01 PM
Basically, outside of Ginn, if any of our players or prospects are drafted we can assume they are gone correct? I think it?s likely Ginn is gone as well.

Our staff doesn't expect Ginn back... I get it they don't draft, so it's possible. But I don't see what good it does for him. He won't pitch much next year. So is he going to come back for his 2nd jr year when he's 23? Can't see it.

maroonmania
06-07-2020, 10:19 PM
Our staff doesn't expect Ginn back... I get it they don't draft, so it's possible. But I don't see what good it does for him. He won't pitch much next year. So is he going to come back for his 2nd jr year when he's 23? Can't see it.

Yea, it would have been MUCH better for MSU had Ginn had the elbow surgery either last year right after the CWS or at worst last Fall. I don't know who was giving he and his family the advice that he could pitch through it but yes, by waiting like he did, he likely won't be able to help us much during the regular season next year even if he came back. So we are kind of screwed on Ginn either way. The only real silver lining if he did come back is that he might be ready to go full tilt during post-season which would certainly help. As far as the draft, I will personally be surprised if he actually goes first round. I could see him not coming off the board until later in the second round and maybe even third. Its very likely that if he wants to go he will have to sign this go round for less than he was offered out of HS.

Avelso
06-07-2020, 10:41 PM
The only thing I can guarantee you about Ginn is that Commerce is all over the situation. I say he?s 99.9% gone. Higher than 2 years ago. Reasons. 1) Less to gain and no time to prove it. 2) Taxes. Biden?s in if he doesn?t prove he?s invalid and taxes are going up. Especially on $2.5M/bonuses.

vv83
06-08-2020, 11:24 AM

Injury bug really killed us with this one. I wonder if the whole Ginn situation will hurt us in the future with getting 1st rounders to come to college

maroonmania
06-08-2020, 01:13 PM
Injury bug really killed us with this one. I wonder if the whole Ginn situation will hurt us in the future with getting 1st rounders to come to college

Well, on the bright side, if Ginn does go in the first round again we can at least tell our pitching recruits that even if they come to MSU and end up having arm issues they still have a great chance to go high in the draft. I really believe that Ginn came in to MSU with his arm condition. I've never seen a pitcher whose arm was babied more than his. He never pitched more than once in a week and normally was not allowed to go more than 6 innings. Pretty sure he never crossed the 100 pitch count and only crossed 90 pitches maybe once or twice in a start.

AlSwearengen
06-08-2020, 02:31 PM
If Ginn had a nerve moved, I’m pretty sure he was born that way. I doubt anything he did at MSU caused it. I think the fact that he pitched very little growing up kept them from realizing that it was an issue.

What bothers me is that so many of the baseball publications continue to say he had tommy john.