PDA

View Full Version : Best Drivin' Stories

NWADAWG
06-05-2020, 10:18 AM
Inspired by the thread that started off sports and ended up driving to t-town. But, it got me to thinking about some of the crazy driving like a maniac events of my youth. Since racing is a sport and driving like and idiot is almost like racing, let's have some fun and share our best / dumbest drivin' stories. Posted this on SPS also. Think this will interesting to compare.

Few of Mine:
1980 VW Rabbit - challenged dirt bikes to a jumping contest on the hill behind the old boomerang dorms - I won.

1980 VW Rabbit - From my driveway in SE Ark to parked at Evans Hall in 2 h and 50 minutes. That is back when almost all of it was 2 lane. Spent about 20 minutes straight with right foot in carpet on east side of Winona.

1980 VW Rabbit - Outran / eluded cops twice, once in Starkville, once on hw 82 near Greenwood.

1987 Supra Turbo (I drove but not my car unfortunately) - raced that big long bridge going into New Orleans at 100 - 135 mph (there was some traffic) against another supra. I won.

I know I wasn't the only idiot so let's hear what ya got.

Hambone
06-05-2020, 10:24 AM
After football practice me and 4 of my team mates piled into my 74 Buick skylark and raced one of our assistant head coaches and his IROC-Z.

Going about 120 over a hill I met my family coming into town to have dinner.

Side note, that same coaches had a fatal car wreck about 4 years after that stunt

BrunswickDawg
06-05-2020, 10:48 AM
Inspired by the thread that started off sports and ended up driving to t-town. But, it got me to thinking about some of the crazy driving like a maniac events of my youth. Since racing is a sport and driving like and idiot is almost like racing, let's have some fun and share our best / dumbest drivin' stories. Posted this on SPS also. Think this will interesting to compare.

Few of Mine:
1980 VW Rabbit - challenged dirt bikes to a jumping contest on the hill behind the old boomerang dorms - I won.

1980 VW Rabbit - From my driveway in SE Ark to parked at Evans Hall in 2 h and 50 minutes. That is back when almost all of it was 2 lane. Spent about 20 minutes straight with right foot in carpet on east side of Winona.

1980 VW Rabbit - Outran / eluded cops twice, once in Starkville, once on hw 82 near Greenwood.

1987 Supra Turbo (I drove but not my car unfortunately) - raced that big long bridge going into New Orleans at 100 - 135 mph (there was some traffic) against another supra. I won.

I know I wasn't the only idiot so let's hear what ya got.

I'm glad I could help inspire what could be a fun thread!

That '79 Chevy Caprice I had was a beast. I got it for $500 in 1989 off my great uncle, who was the retired county police chief. My dad didn't realize that it had the police cruiser package on it until I'd had it about a month and I blew a radiator hose. I got a stern warning about the power the engine had - but it was his mistake, so I got to keep it. I'm pretty sure I hit 120 on that Marietta to Starkville drive in the other thread. The speedo went to 110, but the needle buried past that.

After I moved to the coast, I worked for a state agency. We had cast off DNR Crown Vic police cruisers to use for staff vehicles. I went to Atlanta for a conference. When I hit I-16 on the way back, I had a GSP car pull up behind me. When he came around, I saw it was the Capt. of our local GSP post - he waived, and motioned to get in line behind him. I fell in with him and 2 other local LEOS, and we made the run from Macon to I-95 outside Savannah in 1 hour 20 minutes (155 miles).

FISHDAWG
06-05-2020, 11:11 AM
1979 ... in a Chrysler Cordoba that had a 400 in it ... Me and my girlfriend were in Meridian at Kash McCools and noticed it was 11:30pm ... She was due back in Laurel by 12pm ... The car was still new to me so I decided to see what it would do between Meridian and Laurel ... 10 miles North of Quitman I got clocked doing better than 140 mph by a state trooper in the Northbound lane. I could see his brake lights trying to slow down to cross the median but it had rained earlier that day and he couldn't cross with out getting stuck .... I knew I had to make the Quitman exit before he could radio to the Quitman PD which was a little ways off the interstate ... I slowed down a little and hit the exit about 110 mph ..... took an immediate right (away from town) and started taking any turn I came to ... wound up lost on some logging road killed the motor and started shaking. Waited there an hour before leaving and because we were lost it took me about 2 more hours to finally get her home .... The light was on and her Dad was up. I wasn't about to walk her to the door either so I kissed her in the car and told her to call me when she got off her grounding and left before having to answer to her Dad .... I've missed her every since then .... and have NEVER been close to that speed since