PDA

View Full Version : Rewatching game 1 last year.

Lord McBuckethead
05-31-2020, 12:22 AM
We did not look good. Our defense was soft. Our offense looked very bad. Stevens looked worse than I remember. We scored 38, God only knows how we did that. Hill looked good, but he looked bulky how he moved.

I am really concerned about how our defense is going to look this year. The chem 10 players missed that first game. With Murphy and Gay on the field, our defense would have looked much better. But Gay is in KC now. Who is going to step up?

missouridawg
05-31-2020, 07:01 AM
We did not look good. Our defense was soft. Our offense looked very bad. Stevens looked worse than I remember. We scored 38, God only knows how we did that. Hill looked good, but he looked bulky how he moved.

I am really concerned about how our defense is going to look this year. The chem 10 players missed that first game. With Murphy and Gay on the field, our defense would have looked much better. But Gay is in KC now. Who is going to step up?

After that first drive, I actually had a glimmer of hope that our offense was about look very different for the season. Boy, was I wrong.

Jarius
05-31-2020, 07:04 AM
Well Tyrus Wheat will be a juco guy that steps in and he was highly recruited. Murphy will be in there as you said. Pickering will be playing. Allen Love will be playing. Jordan Davis was Signed by Alabama out of HS and will be playing. We have plenty of athletes. We’ve got some secondary depth problems and we have the problem of no spring ball with a brand new defense.

Johnson85
05-31-2020, 08:13 AM

Didn?t know there was a fellow masochist on the board. Might PM you for some tips since you?re obviously way more hardcore than me. I just have the wife put nipple clamps on me and whip me. I don?t think I could handle it if she made me watch video of Moorhead or Croom teams.

ZedFedder
05-31-2020, 08:17 AM
For State’s defense to be pretty good this year, we are going to have to have what we had in 2017 and 2018, in that JUCO guys are going to have to be ready to go. They don’t have to be Abram and Sweat, but we need guys like Jordan Davis, Tyrus Wheat, and Kyle Cass to step up.

Jarius
05-31-2020, 09:00 AM
For State’s defense to be pretty good this year, we are going to have to have what we had in 2017 and 2018, in that JUCO guys are going to have to be ready to go. They don’t have to be Abram and Sweat, but we need guys like Jordan Davis, Tyrus Wheat, and Kyle Cass to step up.

With D. Russell being out for the year that really hurts as well. We need Lawson to be a good player and He’s the one I’m most worried about being a reach, although he did sign with FSU out of HS.

TrapGame
05-31-2020, 10:14 AM
One thing that is really going to help this season is we have a coaching staff on the same page with the same vision. They also expect the players to give 110%. The S&C program is purging the softness that Moorhead allowed to creep in. And Leach's coaching style helps mold and shape leaders.

Lord McBuckethead
05-31-2020, 10:24 AM
That all sounds good, but the run in October is the proof in the pudding as it is said. We need studs to operate and perform as studs. Way too many players back pedelling in that LA game last year.

Lord McBuckethead
05-31-2020, 10:26 AM
One thing that is really going to help this season is we have a coaching staff on the same page with the same vision. They also expect the players to give 110%. The S&C program is purging the softness that Moorhead allowed to creep in. And Leach's coaching style helps mold and shape leaders.

Hope so. His stupid repost of a meme has undermined his goals. Hopefully he gets with the program a little bit from here on out. We don't need tone deafness when it comes to anything racial. Leave that to Ole Miss.

Lord McBuckethead
05-31-2020, 10:27 AM
I would like to add, his meme repost wasn't racist in intent. As a white husband, I got a chuckle out of the meme. But the second someone mentioned a noose in reference to race, I was like......dang.

TrapGame
05-31-2020, 10:46 AM
Hope so. His stupid repost of a meme has undermined his goals. Hopefully he gets with the program a little bit from here on out. We don't need tone deafness when it comes to anything racial. Leave that to Ole Miss.

I would like to add, his meme repost wasn't racist in intent. As a white husband, I got a chuckle out of the meme. But the second someone mentioned a noose in reference to race, I was like......dang.

We're past that. The team is with him. All is well. Let's move on.

Todd4State
05-31-2020, 10:54 AM

I think because our S&C and discipline was so poor last year we're going to be surprised at the difference this year.

TrapGame
05-31-2020, 12:01 PM
I think because our S&C and discipline was so poor last year we're going to be surprised at the difference this year.

That's exactly what I'm thinking too. We were so soft last year. K State came on our field and made us look weak and soft for four quarters.

Captain Falcon
05-31-2020, 02:12 PM
I remember being in The Dome and thinking Tommy looked good but tutorgate was going to wreck our season. As it turned out, Tommy never stayed healthy enough to get in a rhythm for us and tutorgate was one of many issues we had.

I did my best to give Joe the benefit of the doubt up until the Auburn game, which I realize is longer than quite a few people gave him, but after that embarrassment I knew it was just a matter of time. Drove to Knoxville two weeks later with the full expectation that we were losing but I just wanted to knock another SEC stadium off my bucket list.

TrapGame
05-31-2020, 04:52 PM
I remember being in The Dome and thinking Tommy looked good but tutorgate was going to wreck our season. As it turned out, Tommy never stayed healthy enough to get in a rhythm for us and tutorgate was one of many issues we had.

I did my best to give Joe the benefit of the doubt up until the Auburn game, which I realize is longer than quite a few people gave him, but after that embarrassment I knew it was just a matter of time. Drove to Knoxville two weeks later with the full expectation that we were losing but I just wanted to knock another SEC stadium off my bucket list.

K State did it for me. A Big 12 team with a first year coach pushed our shit in at home. I knew after the opening kick we were in deep dung. Their special teams pummeled ours like they were a high school team.

Lord McBuckethead
05-31-2020, 04:55 PM

I think you are right. One of the biggest things I noticed when rewatching the team last year, it looked like no one wanted to take on blocks and make the play. I noticed we had LBs not committing to their attack. Like they would run into the back of the DL and just stop. Making large turning radius in changing directions and just not fighting through blocks. Granted, Gay wasn't in the games. Dude definitely fought to get to the ball.

So the new regime in the s&c and new defensive coaching staff could turn it all around.

Todd4State
05-31-2020, 10:21 PM
I think you are right. One of the biggest things I noticed when rewatching the team last year, it looked like no one wanted to take on blocks and make the play. I noticed we had LBs not committing to their attack. Like they would run into the back of the DL and just stop. Making large turning radius in changing directions and just not fighting through blocks. Granted, Gay wasn't in the games. Dude definitely fought to get to the ball.

So the new regime in the s&c and new defensive coaching staff could turn it all around.

Gay was so athletic that he would have been hard to screw up.

S&C is more than about just bulking up. It's about athleticism too. Which is what you are referring to. The team looked completely out of shape as a whole. Except for Gay and Kylin Hill. In that particular game I remember Erroll getting juked out by ULL tight ends. A major lack of energy as well.

Our offensive line was too big. They looked more overweight than strong. Then you had guys like Dantzler and Guidry that should have bulked up some and didn't.

Just a complete S&C disaster.

Todd4State
05-31-2020, 10:22 PM
That's exactly what I'm thinking too. We were so soft last year. K State came on our field and made us look weak and soft for four quarters.

As did Tennessee. And we played our ass off and were still neck and neck with a young and outmanned Ole Miss team.

ZedFedder
05-31-2020, 11:23 PM
I think Tyson Brown as a S&C Coach was a home run. Players seem to really like him a lot.

Lord McBuckethead
06-01-2020, 12:30 AM
K State did it for me. A Big 12 team with a first year coach pushed our shit in at home. I knew after the opening kick we were in deep dung. Their special teams pummeled ours like they were a high school team.

Our special teams were literally the worst I have ever seen in a d1 team. We couldn't cover kickoffs. Seriously. We had to average 30 yards a return last year and we had to be dead last in touchbacks on kickoffs.

Todd4State
06-01-2020, 01:16 AM
Our special teams were literally the worst I have ever seen in a d1 team. We couldn't cover kickoffs. Seriously. We had to average 30 yards a return last year and we had to be dead last in touchbacks on kickoffs.

Matt Brock our new ST coach should help improve that unit. He is pretty highly thought of and was up for some postseason awards.