PDA

View Full Version : OT: Starkville Shipley?s

DDawg
05-29-2020, 04:30 PM
Is it the worst donut shop of all time? In my opinion without a doubt yes. Shipleys as a franchise are some of the finest donuts around but I don?t think I?ve gotten anything that was even remotely lukewarm from the one in Starkville in the past 7 years I?ve been here. Anybody else have a similar experience?

msu15
05-29-2020, 05:08 PM
Yep. I went there when I first got to campus in 2011 as a student, never went back. Place is a dump. The one in Meridian now is far superior.

parabrave
05-29-2020, 05:26 PM
I remember when there was a Shipleys in Gulfport back in the 70's. Best donuts around back then.

turkish
05-29-2020, 05:54 PM
To be fair, lukewarm Shipley’s donuts beat the hell out of most others.

Lord McBuckethead
05-29-2020, 06:05 PM
I like it. You have to get there early to get them fresh, but i haven't had a bad doughnut from there. Some haven't been fantastic, but none just straight terrible.

AROB44
05-29-2020, 06:09 PM
Nothing beats Krispy Kreme....

dawgoneyall
05-29-2020, 06:54 PM
Is it the worst donut shop of all time? In my opinion without a doubt yes. Shipleys as a franchise are some of the finest donuts around but I don?t think I?ve gotten anything that was even remotely lukewarm from the one in Starkville in the past 7 years I?ve been here. Anybody else have a similar experience?

7 years....and you keep going back?

Must be something good.

msu15
05-29-2020, 06:59 PM

This is the correct answer

BeardoMSU
05-29-2020, 07:27 PM
To be fair, lukewarm Shipley’s donuts beat the hell out of most others.

This!

Also, visit somewhere outside of MS and bitch about donuts why don't you....I'd trade quite a lot for the luxury of having access to Shipley's up here in Mass. Nothing but cake donuts up here, and they're absolute ass.

starkvegasdawg
05-29-2020, 07:41 PM

17 Krispy Kreme.

iPat09
05-29-2020, 07:45 PM
A Shipley's recently opened around the corner from my apartment and my wallet has hated me ever since. And Shipley's beats Krispy Kreme and it's not even close. In fact, Shipley's beats everywhere else.

Uncle Ruckus
05-29-2020, 08:09 PM
This is the correct answer
Disagree.
You must have never been to a Duck Donuts

oldjoedawg
05-29-2020, 08:42 PM
The original one in Columbus (1960s) was a must stop with my date...later my wife....before taking her back to her dorm. In the 80s the one in Greenville was just as good. Later, got to patronize the one in Horn Lake. Never been disappointed in Shipleys.

DDawg
05-29-2020, 09:03 PM
To be fair, lukewarm Shipley?s donuts beat the hell out of most others.

I agree with this. Like I said in my original, Shipleys are hard to beat. The problem is that everytime I have given them I try I am talking like cooked hours ago cold donuts. Every other one I have been to is A++++, Starkvilles is awful though imo.

Coach34
05-29-2020, 09:41 PM
Shipley's is by far the bets donut. I'd take a 2pm leftover Shipley's donut over a Krispey Kreme straight out the oven.

Krispey Creme is equal to the McDonald's entry into a best Hamburger contest. It's a literal joke.

msu15
05-29-2020, 09:48 PM
Shipley's is by far the bets donut. I'd take a 2pm leftover Shipley's donut over a Krispey Kreme straight out the oven.

Krispey Creme is equal to the McDonald's entry into a best Hamburger contest. It's a literal joke.

You definitely have a lot of experience when it comes to McDonald's.

BeardoMSU
05-29-2020, 10:27 PM
I grew up on the two Greenville Shipley's, so I was happy to still have it when I came to college. The only comparable donut I've had in MS is Tatonut in OS. They're good, but I'm not as nostalgic on them.

TaleofTwoDogs
05-29-2020, 10:35 PM
I remember when there was a Shipleys in Gulfport back in the 70's. Best donuts around back then.

This is correct, the one in Biloxi was also the best. Krispy Cream started out great but has gone downhill for a while now.

DDawg
05-29-2020, 10:43 PM
Im glad everybody in here can agree for the most part that Shipleys are the king of donuts. HOWEVER, it is a shame that Starkville is home to literally the worst one in America. Also, I've been seeing some post about the Greenville Shipley's and as someone who spent a few years working in the city. They might not have much, but that is the golden standard for a donut I dont care where you go in the world. Rumor has it that its the delta water that adds to them but who the hell knows.

Hambone
05-29-2020, 10:48 PM
Shipley here in Oxford SUCKS ASS.

The locally owned community donut shop here blows them away.

turkish
05-29-2020, 11:47 PM
I turn down free Krispy Kreme on the reg. They are trash.

Westdawg
05-30-2020, 12:07 AM
I knocked on the Starkville location as being not that great - that is, until I took two trips to upper New York State in the past four years. When you get to around Louisville, KY, you can just forget about having anything good (grits, sweet tea, biscuits, sausage, donuts).
I went with a group from MS during the last one, and they wanted donuts the first morning instead of ordering a large breakfast. having already been in the area before (Buffalo), I had sampled several of the donut shops. Freaking horrible. I told them what to expect. They went ahead and did it anyway. Nobody finished a donut. Most everything has awful amounts of semisweet jelly filling. The rest were like a cake donut with nothing good in terms of taste.
Two days later, the guest speaker we were meeting with wanted to "show us how great their donuts were" and walked in with 5-6 dozen of the worst tasting dog biscuits ever tried to be passed off as a donut. He was pretty ticked we didn't eat them. I overnighted a dozen from a Daylight Donuts here in town and sent to him when I got back. He said he and his staff fought over them. I told him that was our generic donut shop down here 😎

defiantdog
05-30-2020, 12:10 AM
If you ever drive through Lafayette, Louisiana..... you need to try Meche's Donuts. Best donuts ever.

klong-dog
05-30-2020, 01:30 AM
When i was a kid growing up in Columbus in the 80's and early 90's... Hardin's Bakery was the best donut ever. Huge warehouse factory and could watch the donuts come out one by one, on a conveyer belt. It was a neat process.

Drewbowski
05-30-2020, 04:41 AM
Shipley's in Tupelo changed to Scarlet's a few years ago. Can't tell a difference.

what donut is better is something only a sports board without sports would argue.

fieldcorporal
05-30-2020, 06:10 AM
In the early 70's I was going to state and working nights at a plant in Columbus. During the summer (no classes) I could shift my hours so I got off about 4am. I stopped every morning on my way fishing at Shipleys across from Propst park on hwy 82. Mr. Shalles had hot doughnuts and coffee for me. I'd get a half dozen and scarf them on the way.

The absolute best.

And Krispy kreme sucks.

I went to the original dunkin donuts store #1 a long time ago. I got coffee and donuts. Threw the donuts away.

MaroonFlounder
05-30-2020, 09:47 AM
Shipley's, when fresh, are fantastic.

There are several Donut Palace in the Jxn Ms area, and they are great as well.
And the pig n blanket are better than the donuts

The problem with donut shops is they rarely make enough $$ to clear a decent profit over and above the ridiculously high lease payment to the strip mall landlords.

RiverCityDawg
05-30-2020, 11:02 AM

1)Shipley's
2) Any random local gourmet donut shop

14) Publix bakery

23) Dunkin Donuts

2126) Hostess

3526) loaf bread torn apart, fashioned into the shape of a donut and covered in simple syrup

56378) Krispy Kreme

AROB44
05-30-2020, 11:40 AM
Lots of Krispy Kreme hate ....... still my favorite.

Political Hack
05-30-2020, 12:16 PM
Shipley's, warmed on a grill in the LFL, is the best donut available. I dare anyone to argue.

Westdawg
05-30-2020, 08:18 PM
Shipley's, warmed on a grill in the LFL, is the best donut available. I dare anyone to argue.

Hack, is that an invite for me this upcoming season?

Joebob
05-31-2020, 03:38 PM
I grew up on the two Greenville Shipley's, so I was happy to still have it when I came to college. The only comparable donut I've had in MS is Tatonut in OS. They're good, but I'm not as nostalgic on them.

I used to eat donuts from the Greenville Shipley's in the 60's and 70's when we would visit family. Still to this day the best donuts I've ever eaten. That guy had a knack for making them light and airy where you could eat the whole dozen and not feel stuffed. I'd give anything to find donuts here in Dallas like that.

Mobile Bay
05-31-2020, 05:06 PM
Anybody who does not know that Krispy Kreme Hot Nows are doughnut perfection is a heretic who does not love the lord. Better to drive to Tuscaloosa for one than eat any doughnut that was in Starkville during my years there.

starkvegasdawg
05-31-2020, 06:35 PM
I used to eat donuts from the Greenville Shipley's in the 60's and 70's when we would visit family. Still to this day the best donuts I've ever eaten. That guy had a knack for making them light and airy where you could eat the whole dozen and not feel stuffed. I'd give anything to find donuts here in Dallas like that.

The one in Greenwood was good, too. We got many a one from there in the 80's when I was growing up. I think we got some from the Greenville location when we lived in Indianola from 74-78.

starkvegasdawg
05-31-2020, 06:36 PM
Anybody who does not know that Krispy Kreme Hot Nows are doughnut perfection is a heretic who does not love the lord. Better to drive to Tuscaloosa for one than eat any doughnut that was in Starkville during my years there.

You misspelled Shipley's chocolate iced and plain glazed doughnut holes.

MCsMGs
05-31-2020, 06:55 PM
Obviously, none of y'all have ever been to the Tatonut donut shop on the coast....

hailmari
05-31-2020, 06:55 PM
Gibson?s donuts in Memphis. Perfection.

BorneDawg
05-31-2020, 09:48 PM
Lots of Krispy Kreme hate ....... still my favorite.

I've eat Shipley there ok but Krispy Creme when fresh is the best could eat 2 dozen in a sitting

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-01-2020, 10:54 AM

Didn't realize you were the "taste standard"....geezus You do realize that people have different tastes don't you? People like different stuff and it doesn't make it wrong that it's different.

RiverCityDawg
06-01-2020, 11:42 AM
Didn't realize you were the "taste standard"....geezus You do realize that people have different tastes don't you? People like different stuff and it doesn't make it wrong that it's different.

You're bothered by one specific person sharing an opinion about donuts in a thread about opinions on donuts?

Extendedcab
06-01-2020, 01:00 PM
Everybody has different taste as you would expect. OK, so what makes a "good" donut in your mind? Please eloborate ;)

msualohadog
06-01-2020, 01:14 PM
You all suck... I haven't eaten a donut in 5 years. I think I gained two pounds just reading this thread!

Johnson85
06-01-2020, 01:28 PM

Have you tried putting them in the microwave for 10 seconds? Not sure I can tell the difference between one warm out o fhte oven and one I popped in the microwave for 10 seconds (except 10 seconds might leave it nuclear hot depending on microwave).

Granted, I guess that might not work for the filled donuts.

Johnson85
06-01-2020, 01:34 PM

I'm sorry, intellectually, I understand that that's probably true, but emotionally, I think of somebody arguing that Krispy Kreme is not only good, but better than shipleys, the same way as I think of people arguing that rioting, looting, and arson is a legitimate response to police violence. Emotionally, I just can't get past how absurd their position seems on its face; I can't even give their opinions a fair hearing and instead just wonder whether we can successfully coexist in civil society.

StateDawg44
06-01-2020, 01:39 PM
Damn, I would kill for a Shipley's Donut to pop up on my desk right now.

State82
06-01-2020, 01:43 PM
Damn, I would kill for a Shipley's Donut to pop up on my desk right now.

Might as well make it a dozen. One will just piss you off.

Extendedcab
06-01-2020, 01:55 PM
I'm sorry, intellectually, I understand that that's probably true, but emotionally, I think of somebody arguing that Krispy Kreme is not only good, but better than shipleys, the same way as I think of people arguing that rioting, looting, and arson is a legitimate response to police violence. Emotionally, I just can't get past how absurd their position seems on its face; I can't even give their opinions a fair hearing and instead just wonder whether we can successfully coexist in civil society.

Don't tell me the next riot will be over donuts!

BeardoMSU
06-01-2020, 02:18 PM
Don't tell me the next riot will be over donuts!

Lets go ahead and put everything out on the table...

The best steak is found at Applebee's (cooked well-done, with ketchup)!
The best burger is McDonald's (extra dehydrated onions)!
Olive Garden is the best Italian food (nothing in Italy comes close)!
And the best beer is Michelob Ultra (Bud Light Lime, a close second)!

And why not make it the perfect evening by watching a Michael Bay movie, listen to some Nickleback, and finish the night off with some Guy Fieri re-runs.***

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DependentCrispAfricanwilddog-max-1mb.gif

Dawgface
06-01-2020, 02:22 PM
I like Shipley donuts here in Meridian. But there are better one's in town. I'm with c34 on Krispie Cream.

Johnson85
06-01-2020, 02:37 PM
Lets go ahead and put everything out on the table...

The best steak is found at Applebee's (cooked well-done, with ketchup)!
The best burger is McDonald's (extra dehydrated onions)!
Olive Garden is the best Italian food (nothing in Italy comes close)!
And the best beer is Michelob Ultra (Bud Light Lime, a close second)!

And why not make it the perfect evening by watching a Michael Bay movie, listen to some Nickleback, and finish the night off with some Guy Fieri re-runs.***

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DependentCrispAfricanwilddog-max-1mb.gif

I assume that all sounds perfectly reasonable to the people that think Krispy Kreme donuts are the best.

BeardoMSU
06-01-2020, 05:00 PM
I assume everybody that all sounds perfectly reasonable to the people that think Krispy Kreme donuts are the best.

Bro's everywhere, all wearing flat bill hats and Affliction shirts, just nodded their heads in agreement.**

Extendedcab
06-01-2020, 05:14 PM
You mean Dunkin Donuts is not the best? They are police approved (When I was a kid, cops used to flock to Dunkin Donuts, it was their second headquarters!)!

BeardoMSU
06-01-2020, 05:37 PM
You mean Dunkin Donuts is not the best? They are police approved (When I was a kid, cops used to flock to Dunkin Donuts, it was their second headquarters!)!

Dunkin is a religion up here, lol. They have a couple decent donuts, and their coffee is good, but they don't hold a candle to Shipley's or the like; hell, even Krispy is far superior. Donuts up here just don't have the chew, while still being soft pillows, that they do in the south.

I really do like DD's coffee though (and they make decent breakfast sandwiches). Extra large cup of the black stuff for 2 bucks I think, which is rather convenient as they have a drive thru every quarter mile it seems.

Johnson85
06-02-2020, 08:58 AM
Dunkin is a religion up here, lol. They have a couple decent donuts, and their coffee is good, but they don't hold a candle to Shipley's or the like; hell, even Krispy is far superior. Donuts up here just don't have the chew, while still being soft pillows, that they do in the south.

I really do like DD's coffee though (and they make decent breakfast sandwiches). Extra large cup of the black stuff for 2 bucks I think, which is rather convenient as they have a drive thru every quarter mile it seems.

I can at least fathom people liking Dunking Donuts. I don't like them, but they seem like a completely different product from the donuts we have in the south, or at least their "cakey" donuts do, so I can see how people that grow up on it think that's the way donuts should be and that our donuts are weird. No quarter for people that think Krispy Creme is good though.

AROB44
06-02-2020, 09:53 AM
I can at least fathom people liking Dunking Donuts. I don't like them, but they seem like a completely different product from the donuts we have in the south, or at least their "cakey" donuts do, so I can see how people that grow up on it think that's the way donuts should be and that our donuts are weird. No quarter for people that think Krispy Creme is good though.

That's pretty harsh. I don't wish anything ill on you. I just consider you have not been educated in the finer points of what constitutes a proper donut.

Extendedcab
06-02-2020, 10:05 AM
That's pretty harsh. I don't wish anything ill on you. I just consider you have not been educated in the finer points of what constitutes a proper donut.

LOL ... and what constitutes a proper donut?

fieldcorporal
06-02-2020, 10:17 AM
You all suck... I haven't eaten a donut in 5 years. I think I gained two pounds just reading this thread!

I used to work at Community Coffee. Our plant was across from a bakery.

We'd be roasting coffee and they'd be making donuts.

You could gain weight just breathing.

AROB44
06-02-2020, 10:19 AM
LOL ... and what constitutes a proper donut?

Krispy Kreme, of course....

Extendedcab
06-02-2020, 10:44 AM
Krispy Kreme, of course....

I need educating about donuts (I have not eaten one in about 10 years - doctors doing not mine), what is it about Krispy Kreme that makes it better than other vendors - Dunkin for example?

AROB44
06-02-2020, 10:55 AM
I need educating about donuts (I have not eaten one in about 10 years - doctors doing not mine), what is it about Krispy Kreme that makes it better than other vendors - Dunkin for example?

For me it is just when they are hot...they are like pillows of dough and sugar. Although I must admit, I think they must put some sort of drug in the mix.

SouthMSDog
06-02-2020, 11:07 AM

Ban?*

SheltonChoked
06-02-2020, 11:32 AM

No Shipley is very good, other than one on Ella with the misspelled sign.

Krispy Kreme is only good Hot, Right off the line.

Both are better the the crappy cake donut shops like Dunkin'.

The Best donuts are from tiny Vietnamese run shops.

Also, the worst Donuts are also from Tiny Vietnamese run shops.

DDawg
06-04-2020, 08:29 AM
All I?ve got to say is this whole thread is about who has the best hot donuts. The problem is that Starkville has absolutely zero places to buy hot donuts.

Extendedcab
06-04-2020, 08:48 AM
Ok, for you donut purist, I guess the following is just pure heresy!

Smokey Bones (restaurant chain) wants you to stuff your face full of meat (and also sugar and carbs). The chain restaurant has debuted its special limited-time-only offering: the ultimate meat/bacon doughnut. Their "doughnut" features a 3/8th-inch (thick) slice of Applewood smoked bacon, hand-carved and then candied in brown sugar and black pepper.

LOL ;)

Vandownbytheriver
06-04-2020, 02:21 PM
I will take Honest Abes in Greenwood over all of the others. They had one in Oxford for awhile and it was just as good. The size and flavor or theirs are incredible. Wish they would branch out into other communities around the state.