PDA

View Full Version : John Cohen's Batting Stance

ShotgunDawg
05-28-2020, 08:35 PM
Just saw this online & was appalled.

Jiminy Christmas, what is he doing up there?

I've never actually seen him hit & I don't believe I've ever seen someone attempt to hit like this before.

msu15
05-28-2020, 09:49 PM
Short and quick to the ball

AFDawg
05-28-2020, 10:13 PM
It may look funny, but apparently he knew what he was doing.

Cohen Playing Bio
Mississippi State (1987-90)
First-team All-SEC outfield selection as a senior ... Played on four NCAA regional teams, one CWS team (1990) and three teams that won at least a share of the SEC championship. ... 1990 team was co-champs of the SEC Tournament ... Played during most successful four-year period in school history (187 wins from 1987-90) ... Ranks among Mississippi State all-time leaders in several categories; 71 games played in 1990 is a school record ... Finished his career ranked third on all-time at-bat list (785) ... 285 at-bats in 1990 was second-best single-season total in MSU history...Finished his career ranked seventh in runs scored (180) ... Finished his career ranked sixth in hits (248) ... His 95 hits in 1990 was ninth-best single seas on total in MSU history ... Finished his career ranked third in career doubles (53) ... Finished his career ranked sixth in career total bases (390) ... Ranked 10th on all-time RBI list (168) ...

HoopsDawg
05-28-2020, 10:32 PM
A little Will Clark with a dash of Justin Turner and some black magic.

vv83
05-28-2020, 11:15 PM
Can?t talk funny MSU batting stances without Jarrod Parks

Cooterpoot
05-29-2020, 07:07 AM
Starting stance is pretty irrelevant for the most part.

basedog
05-29-2020, 07:11 AM

My Dad who was a huge baseball "wanna be Baseball Coach" use to preach, see it hit it!

I see many weird stances, but that's baseball. LOL

BrunswickDawg
05-29-2020, 07:41 AM
A little Will Clark with a dash of Justin Turner and some black magic.
Black Magic, the Holy Grail of 1980s high school baseball. If you could convince your parents to fork over the money, or spend all summer cutting grass or bagging groceries to get $130 to buy that beauty, you were the man.
Some swore by the Easton green. But, the feeling of that leather wrap grip with a little pine tar made you believe YOU could be Will Clark.

BrunswickDawg
05-29-2020, 07:43 AM

Gun has obviously never seen film of Rod Carew, Jose Cruz, or early George Brett when he was all hunched over.

basedog
05-29-2020, 07:47 AM
Gun has obviously never seen film of Rod Carew, Jose Cruz, or early George Brett when he was all hunched over.

I think Gun has no love for Cohen.

ShotgunDawg
05-29-2020, 08:12 AM

Yeah, never seen them*

Cohen takes "awkward" to another level here

ShotgunDawg
05-29-2020, 08:14 AM
I think Gun has no love for Cohen.

Gun really likes Cohen. I have absolutely nothing against the guy & believe he's overall done a good job.

However, I knit pick all things MSU athletics & since he's the athletic director, I'm going to knit pick him.

Has nothing to do with what I think about Cohen. Jesus could be the MSU athletic director or head coach, & I'll rip him as well.

Johnson85
05-29-2020, 08:59 AM
Just saw this online & was appalled.

Jiminy Christmas, what is he doing up there?

I've never actually seen him hit & I don't believe I've ever seen someone attempt to hit like this before.

Clearly he's overthinking his stance.**

ShotgunDawg
05-29-2020, 09:07 AM
Clearly he's overthinking his stance.**

Does double sarcastics mean "kidding, not kidding"?

shoeless joe
05-29-2020, 09:12 AM
Gotta have good hands and timing to hit like that. But he got them to a more normal position after the load. In his mind prolly helped him stay short to the ball

Johnson85
05-29-2020, 09:39 AM
Does double sarcastics mean "kidding, not kidding"?

One asterick = no text after title
two sarcastericks = sarcasm/tongue in cheek
three sarcastericks = snarky
four sarcastericks = like a double negative so no sarcasm
five sarcastericks = wanted to call the OP's mother a whore but couldn't come up with a clever way to do it.*****

Maroonthirteen
05-29-2020, 09:49 AM
I went to the MSU baseball camps as a kid/teen. Those were excellent camps and a lot of baseball knowledge was imparted on the campers. I'll always remember the individual instruction on my batting stance, swing and wind up and delivery. They made my stance and swing simple but fundamentally sound. They took out all the wasted motion in my windup and had me as energy efficient as possible. (Fernando Valenzuela to Glavin) Which really helped me locate the ball later.

Anyway....point being.... when I see Msu players with unorthodox stances and windups... I scratch my head. But... those guys are talented enough to make to the sec. also I learned first hand how intelligent those coaches and players were at MSU. Btw, Cohen was there as a player/mentor when I went through for one of the years.

Maroonthirteen
05-29-2020, 10:02 AM
Black Magic, the Holy Grail of 1980s high school baseball. If you could convince your parents to fork over the money, or spend all summer cutting grass or bagging groceries to get $130 to buy that beauty, you were the man.
Some swore by the Easton green. But, the feeling of that leather wrap grip with a little pine tar made you believe YOU could be Will Clark.

My first bat was the green Easton. Loved it. Then played on a team
With a black magic in the bag. I switched and swung that bat through high school. The Easton "ultra light" came out (lighter than the green and black magic) but I stuck with the heavy weight black magic.

BrunswickDawg
05-29-2020, 11:11 AM
Yeah, never seen them*

Cohen takes "awkward" to another level here

Maybe I'm just too used to awkward stances.

BB30
05-29-2020, 11:39 AM
Can?t talk funny MSU batting stances without Jarrod Parks

Or Travis Chapman

Homedawg
05-29-2020, 11:49 AM
Cohen changed his stance every year he was here.

basedog
05-29-2020, 11:58 AM
Gun really likes Cohen. I have absolutely nothing against the guy & believe he's overall done a good job.

However, I knit pick all things MSU athletics & since he's the athletic director, I'm going to knit pick him.

Has nothing to do with what I think about Cohen. Jesus could be the MSU athletic director or head coach, & I'll rip him as well.

Okie Dokie, but I'd be real careful with Jesus!

msbulldog
05-29-2020, 12:15 PM

And you would probably get popped by lightning.

Gutter Cobreh
05-29-2020, 01:11 PM
Cohen changed his stance every year he was here.

It's obvious with his coaching style that he clearly was trying to find the best stance that allowed him to drop a bunt in any key situation****